Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Attempts To Purchase Additional NFL Draft Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Attempts To Purchase Additional NFL Draft Picks

In December 2008, the economic recession forced the NFL to lay off approximately 14 percent of its workforce. Jerry Jones saw this as an opportunity to prove the power of money. Through a series of meetings with NFL officials, Jones lobbied for NFL teams to be able to purchase a variety of individual allowances and exceptions.

Under Jones’ plan, payments would go directly to the NFL (money which is much needed in the current economic climate) establishing a rewards system for any team who earns significant profits. While Jones proposed several incentives for successful teams, the key proposition in his plan allows NFL teams to purchase a limited number of additional draft picks each year.

Jones is adamant that incentive-based relations with NFL franchises will spike overall production. “Big-money teams should be allowed to make big-money moves,” Jones contests. “A salary cap is great for competition, but eventually teams with money should be allowed to buy success. It’s only fair.”

Jerry Jones believes that the NFL Draft has more potential for profit than any other NFL operation. Under Jones’ plan, the NFL would make 32 additional first-round picks available for varying prices.

Each pick would have the letter ‘A’ attached to it to distinguish it from the original selection. The lowest pick for sale (No. 32-A) would be priced at $5 million, with successive picks increasing by $300,000 per pick (e.g. pick No. 31-A would cost $5.3 million, pick No. 30-A would cost $5.6 million, etc.). Jones has not been shy about discussing numbers, as overall his plan could raise over $300 million through the sales of draft picks.

Commissioner Goodell rejected Jones offer to purchase a first-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, asserting that it would erode the integrity of the game. “Fans won’t like the idea of teams buying championships,” Goodell claimed, “This isn’t baseball, there are no Yankees, and I won’t let one team with a lot of money bully the remaining 31.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...icks/show_full
    Last edited by Michael82; 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Attempts To Purchase Additional NFL Draft Picks

Who does he think he is? come on! How the hell could you sell the draft picks for cash now? It's another way for the small market teams to slowly die. What an *******!

Comment

• streetkings01
      • Jul 2006

Re: Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Attempts To Purchase Additional NFL Draft Picks

This has to be the dumbest idea ever! If this were to happen, I doubt I would watch much NFL these days!
      You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBills06
        This has to be the dumbest idea ever! If this were to happen, I doubt I would watch much NFL these days!
        I would lose interest VERY fast and I know a lot of others too. Goodell better stick to his guns because this is the dumbest idea EVER!

Comment

• clumping platelets

Jerry Jones

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

WTF? Buy draft picks!? **** you Jerry!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

Nice to see Goodell show a little backbone to the big teams for once.

My hope is that if Jones gets to run all the small teams out and it just becomes like the original 6 in the NHL and its just (dallas, washington, NY, NY, New England, chicago), i would love to see Dallas lose every single year

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                • Sep 2003

Ummmm, guys.....

I'm guessing that the 'Humor' tag at the top should tell you that it's BS...
                "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
                  Commissioner Goodell rejected Jones offer to purchase a first-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, asserting that it would erode the integrity of the game. “Fans won’t like the idea of teams buying championships,” Goodell claimed, “This isn’t baseball, there are no Yankees, and I won’t let one team with a lot of money bully the remaining 31.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...fl-draft-picks
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                    Ummmm, guys.....

You always ruin the fun, don't you?

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                      Ummmm, guys.....

oops, I didn't see that. I was looking for Bills news for the front page and it talks about the Bills trade in 2004, so it popped up.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

oops, I didn't see that. I was looking for Bills news for the front page and it talks about the Bills trade in 2004, so it popped up.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

I thought you were fooling around too!

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            You always ruin the fun, don't you?
                            I just saw the final blurb at the bottom of the 3rd page of the article....

Editor’s Note: This is a work of satire. It’s premise, events cited, and quotations are all fictional. It is meant to expose the impersonal and impractical nature of Jerry Jones’ tenure as the Cowboys owner/general manager, as well as provide commentary on the money-driven decision-making process in modern American sports.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              I thought you were fooling around too!

Yeah, you caught me! I was joking around.....

Comment

Working...
                              X