X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Robert Ayers is a Beast.

After hearing the rumor that the Bills are interested in Robert Ayers I looked into him a bit.

I watched his highlight video on Youtube (its about 6:18 long, I dont have access to Youtube here so I can't post a link) and the guy is a darn good football player, plain and simple.

He has incredible instincts, awareness, can slide all the way down the line and make plays in the run game and even though he is not the fastest DE in the draft he is plenty fast enough and combines that with excellent pass rush instincts, and has a strong inside move as well as the ability to beat OTs off the edge. When he gets run at he can stone OTs and uses great timing and instincts to shed and make the tackle.

If you want to compare him to a current NFL player it is Justin Tuck. Actually they are pretty much clones in every way.

I wouldn't be upset AT ALL with this guy at #11 similar to what the Pats did last year with Mayo, but if we could get him in the second round it would be the steal of the draft.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Robert Ayers is a Beast.

This is why I hate highlight videos, I wish people really would stop making these things.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

I dont see what the big deal is.... Highlight videos might not give the entire picture but they do represent what a player is capable of. Were not the ones making the decisions anyways so I highly doubt it makes a difference or not if our opinions are swayed one way or another by highlights.

Is Ayers DEFINITELY going to become the next Justin Tuck? who knows but this video shows that he has very similar skills and abilities. No one saying he is going to be a probowler based on this highlight reel. So chill out.

Me saying all this about Ayers is the same as you claiming Brown can't play DE in a 4-3. Bottom line you dont know that and neither do I. Smaller guys than Brown play DE in the NFL so you really have no argument there other than your opinion, and seeing as how you haven't coached Brown or Ayers and neither have I, anything either of us say is opinion.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
        I dont see what the big deal is.... Highlight videos might not give the entire picture but they do represent what a player is capable of. Were not the ones making the decisions anyways so I highly doubt it makes a difference or not if our opinions are swayed one way or another by highlights.

Is Ayers DEFINITELY going to become the next Justin Tuck? who knows but this video shows that he has very similar skills and abilities. No one saying he is going to be a probowler based on this highlight reel. So chill out.

Me saying all this about Ayers is the same as you claiming Brown can't play DE in a 4-3. Bottom line you dont know that and neither do I. Smaller guys than Brown play DE in the NFL so you really have no argument there other than your opinion, and seeing as how you haven't coached Brown or Ayers and neither have I, anything either of us say is opinion.

Oh for christ sakes I wasn't even talking about what you said. If I wanted to pick it apart I would have. The issue is that people make these stupid ass videos that don't show even 10% of what a guy can and can't do and then they get spread around and people fall in love with a guys highlights because they have never seen his low lights. For instance Ayers is not a 1st Round prospect, he's a 2nd Rounder so taking him at 11 doesnt make any sense unless you really want to see the Bills reach again. Mayo last year was rising into the top 10 when the Pats took him, so it wasn't a huge reach. Ayers stock is steady, its not rising, it not declining its just stable right now.

This has nothing to do with Brown, Ayers, you, or I really. I just really can't stand highlight videos because they dumb down reports that real scouts do, because suddenly a guy says something like Player A has a bad rip move and some idiot says that on his youtube highlight video he say Player A rip right through a OT. Which may be true but its likely that's one good rip move to 20 bad ones.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
          Oh for christ sakes I wasn't even talking about what you said. If I wanted to pick it apart I would have. The issue is that people make these stupid ass videos that don't show even 10% of what a guy can and can't do and then they get spread around and people fall in love with a guys highlights because they have never seen his low lights. For instance Ayers is not a 1st Round prospect, he's a 2nd Rounder so taking him at 11 doesnt make any sense unless you really want to see the Bills reach again. Mayo last year was rising into the top 10 when the Pats took him, so it wasn't a huge reach. Ayers stock is steady, its not rising, it not declining its just stable right now.

This has nothing to do with Brown, Ayers, you, or I really. I just really can't stand highlight videos because they dumb down reports that real scouts do, because suddenly a guy says something like Player A has a bad rip move and some idiot says that on his youtube highlight video he say Player A rip right through a OT. Which may be true but its likely that's one good rip move to 20 bad ones.
          Well Mayock has Ayers as his #12 overall prospect and he has been pretty spot on in his evaluation of prospects. I highly doubt he would put him that high on his list unless he was sure about the league wide opinion on him. Mayock is no fool to put his reputation on the line by putting a player in his top 12 if he thought there was a chance he could fall to the second round.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
            Well Mayock has Ayers as his #12 overall prospect and he has been pretty spot on in his evaluation of prospects. I highly doubt he would put him that high on his list unless he was sure about the league wide opinion on him. Mayock is no fool to put his reputation on the line by putting a player in his top 12 if he thought there was a chance he could fall to the second round.

Yea I saw that yesterday when it was posted and frankly I respect the hell out of Mayock but his rankings have been odd all year long. If you recall his rankings the ones before these he didnt list Brown, Orakpo or Maybin even as DE's now he lists the lighter Brown as a DE but the heavier Orakpo as a LB?? He has Kruger on his top DE's but no sign of Barwin who had an incredible combine. There are some other oddities Im sure we both don't agree with.

I think Ayers is a fantastic prospect, I think he'd be an amazing choice at 43. I dont think a guy who had one decent year at Tennessee a good Senior Bowl and Combine has enough proven work to go at 11. I think he has good talent and immense potential and I could live with taking him at 11, I just think its too early for him to go.

You see we actually agree on Ayers as a prospect not every discussion we have about a guy has to be about you trying to fight me on everything I say or visa versa.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Yea I saw that yesterday when it was posted and frankly I respect the hell out of Mayock but his rankings have been odd all year long. If you recall his rankings the ones before these he didnt list Brown, Orakpo or Maybin even as DE's now he lists the lighter Brown as a DE but the heavier Orakpo as a LB?? He has Kruger on his top DE's but no sign of Barwin who had an incredible combine. There are some other oddities Im sure we both don't agree with.

I think Ayers is a fantastic prospect, I think he'd be an amazing choice at 43. I dont think a guy who had one decent year at Tennessee a good Senior Bowl and Combine has enough proven work to go at 11. I think he has good talent and immense potential and I could live with taking him at 11, I just think its too early for him to go.

You see we actually agree on Ayers as a prospect not every discussion we have about a guy has to be about you trying to fight me on everything I say or visa versa.
              We actually agree on a lot. Just a few things we have different view points on. Either way, agree or not I still respect your opinions and it usually lends itself to a healthy debate.

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

Well, when one of the QBs slip, and we trade down, maybe we get Ayers or Johnson in the late teens, early 20s. Considering Orakpo would be gone already (@11), this would be a bit of alright.
                "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                  Well, when one of the QBs slip, and we trade down, maybe we get Ayers or Johnson in the late teens, early 20s. Considering Orakpo would be gone already (@11), this would be a bit of alright.
                  I have Sanchez available at 11, if we could trade down 5-9 spots and land Ayers there and get more picks I would be much happier about taking him. But I dont mock trade downs so my mock later today will reflect what I feel we should do as of today.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• Raptor
                    • Jan 2009

He's definitely shooting up draft boards thanks to his Senior Bowl and the fact he apparently abused A.Smith. It wouldnt shock me one bit if the Bills took him at 11

Comment

• Raptor
                      • Jan 2009

Its because Orakpo reminds him of Ware

Comment

• Bmax
                        • Aug 2003

Guys it happens every year the RUN.... There will be a run on Def linemen.. Some are saying as many as 8 could be taken in rd one if this happens no way Ayers makes it to the Bills in RD 2...

1.Orakpo-Top 10 Lock
                        2. Raji- Top 10- 15
                        3. Brown-Top 15 lock
                        4. Jerry-RD 1
                        5.Jackson-LSU- Rd one
                        6.Maybin-Rd one
                        7.Larry English-Rd one

Bmax
                        Last edited by Bmax; 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by yordad
                          Sounds nice, but we're not in the market for a franchise QB and no one is until the Jets pick at #17. I don't see QB being a reason anyone trades up to us when they can trade one or two above the Jets.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍