PDA

View Full Version : Pull the trigger for Holt!

X-Era
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Hes a better WR than Coles. Give up the next Bowen or Fine this year for Holt. Which would help you more this year anyways?

Get er did.

ct bills fan
03-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Holt's almost 33, Coles just turned 31

X-Era
03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Oops my bad!

I still would really like him.

Luisito23
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
No thank you.

patmoran2006
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Holt just asked for his release.

TacklingDummy
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Send the Rams a 3rd.

Nighthawk
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Holt just asked for his release.

I'd give up a pick before he hits the open market...he'd never come to Buffalo and we know that this organization won't put the money up for him.

Michael82
03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Give the Rams a 5th rounder. We need a 2nd receiver and he would fill that hole nicely.

LarryBoy
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I like Holt, 2 years ago he had a respectable year and this year the whole Rams team sucked. He's worth a late round pick.

acehole
03-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Hes a better WR than Coles. Give up the next Bowen or Fine this year for Holt. Which would help you more this year anyways?

Get er did.

Pass.

SeatownBillsFan21
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Id wouldn't mind having him here but it will only happen in a trade i think

feldspar
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
If you don't include his rookie year and last year, Holt has AVERAGED 1,384 yards PER SEASON over an 8 year stretch.

This guy can play football. He can still play.

He'd be an absolutely fantastic addition to the Bills, and I would be thrilled to get him.

Mr. Pink
03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Seeing he wants out of St Louis and it's public knowledge at this point...

Contact their front office tell them here's a 5th rounder, better than nothing huh?

Get a legitimate option next to Evans for a couple of seasons.

X-Era
03-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you!

This is a no-brainer to me.

ct bills fan
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
yep - agreed. Stl is going to release him before 3/17 ($1.75m roster bonus due then) so they'd take anything for him. I say throw stl a 6th, don't give Holt a chance to pick his team and allow Stl to save some face. I'm not sure if he's an ideal compliment to Evans, but, with those two on the outside, Reed, Johnson or Parrish running crossing patterns and a new TE across the middle, the offense look a lot brighter. Holt has always kept himself in great shape and I like him a little better than Coles and a lot better than anything else left on the FA market.

X-Era
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Well, I agree.

Dont let him hit the market , give up a late rounder.

That said, didn't the big spenders already blow their wads?
Maybe we are the 3rd most willing to spend money....

Let me rephrase, maybe we are willing tos pend the 3rd most in this free agency period... that means:

1) Sea
2) Cinnci
3) Us

X-Era
03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Does anyone honestly believe for even one second that if he hits the open market, we will win the bid and sign him?

We couldnt land Coles when no one other than Cinnci made an offer, now we can land Holt?

The only way this happens is if we make a trade for him before his release.

tat2dmike77
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
How about just drafting a WR oh but that would be stupid. We need someone who had a good year 2 or 3 years ago yeah that will fix everything.

ct bills fan
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Tat - unless Crabtree falls to us at 11, whom do you recommend us drafting who's going to have an impact? Impact rookie WRs are rare, especially in Buffalo.

feldspar
03-04-2009, 09:04 PM
How about just drafting a WR oh but that would be stupid. We need someone who had a good year 2 or 3 years ago yeah that will fix everything.

Are you being sarcastic, or do I need to remind you that we drafted a WR last year.

X-Era
03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Tat - unless Crabtree falls to us at 11, whom do you recommend us drafting who's going to have an impact? Impact rookie WRs are rare, especially in Buffalo.

Umm, not that I disagree, but Maclin is one hell of a playmaker.

tat2dmike77
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Umm, not that I disagree, but Maclin is one hell of a playmaker.

Tooks the words right out of my mouth.

I think Crabtree while he is a physical beast. I think he is a WR that benefited from a pass heavy system.

Maclin can return punts and KO and has good route running ability and has great speed. He also loves the game and appreciates every oppurtunity that he is afforded.

I do believe we need DE but Michael Johnson from GT should be there when we come around in the second. He will be a good pick in the second.

topher180
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Tory Holt? From the Rams? Oh. I've heard of him so he won't come to Buffalo. Bummer. Now, bring on the next special teamer FA!!! Weeeeeeeee! I heart nickle backs and 3rd string LBs!

feldspar
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM
NFL records
Consecutive seasons with at least 1,300 yards receiving (6).
Consecutive seasons with 90+ receptions (6).
Torry Holt along with Marvin Harrison are the only receivers with multiple 1,600 yard receiving seasons.
Torry Holt was the fastest player in NFL history to reach 11,000 yards.

Currently, Holt is first all time in NFL history in receiving yards per game with an 84.7 yards per game average.

Bone
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
If we do not land a big time reciever like Holt, Edwards,Harrison or through the draft with our #1 pick and yes If Crabtree or Maclin is there we take them. Kiss this season goodybye I don't care what anyone else says we are what we are, a bad team with no play makers,how long will we have to wait for the front office to realize that YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY AND OVERPAY PLAYERS TO PLAY FOR US!

Tatonka
03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
i would trade for holt in a heartbeat, and still draft crabtree if he was there.

ct bills fan
03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Simple plan - trade a 6th for Holt, sign Peterson, sign that Pittsburgh guard they had in a week ago (and/or trade a 3rd and a 5th for Waters), sign a free agent safety on the cheap (can't think of names but there are a few good ones still out there), sign K. Jones; draft a DE in Rd1, draft Cooke (TE) in Rd 2. I don't think any of these are difficult to obtain and by doing so are team has improved immensely.

feldspar
03-04-2009, 10:07 PM
If we do not land a big time reciever like Holt, Edwards,Harrison or through the draft with our #1 pick and yes If Crabtree or Maclin is there we take them. Kiss this season goodybye I don't care what anyone else says we are what we are, a bad team with no play makers,how long will we have to wait for the front office to realize that YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY AND OVERPAY PLAYERS TO PLAY FOR US!

Let's not go nuts. The Lions picked a WR in the top five like three years. You have to be smart about it. We need to get a veteran that we know can play immediately and draft in other positions of need.

Philagape
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Whatever Holt's done in the past is irrelevant because he hasn't been the same since knee surgery two years ago. Reading around, I see the words chronic and degenerative being used. It all depends on the knee. He's not a "big time" WR anymore.

Throne Logic
03-05-2009, 12:21 AM

If we don't fix this OL, it doesn't matter who's out there running routes. I still think we've got a problem between the Center and Left Guard. At this point, we have a "Center" who played guard for most of his NFL career. Doesn't it stand to reason that, if he were any good in the middle, he'd have played there? Who are we currently lining up at LG?

Everyone is talking about the "skill" positions and forgetting where the games are generally won. We've been loosing the battle in the trenches for years. Last year, our OL showed some signs of life in the passing game but couldn't consistently open holes for our RB's. There is no draft pick likely to step in as a rookie and perform better than Dockery or Fowler, regardless of how well they did nor didn't play. For the sake of argument, we can call Hargartner a wash for whomever he ends up taking over for in the starting lineup. No matter what the FO does at this point, assuming no blockbuster trade is looming, our OL is very likely going to be worse this year.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Whatever Holt's done in the past is irrelevant because he hasn't been the same since knee surgery two years ago. Reading around, I see the words chronic and degenerative being used. It all depends on the knee. He's not a "big time" WR anymore.

The Bills don't need for Holt to be the kind of "big-time" WR that he has been in the past. What they need is a # 2 WR who can get open and take some of the constant double teams away from Evans for the next couple of years while their two big, young WRs develop. Even if he has lost some of his terrific speed due to the knee injury, Holt is an excellent route-runner with good hands who knows how to get open--that alone will help the Bills' offense. And, his reputation alone will force opposing defenses to at least pay attention to him when he is out on the field, which is something that they don't feel any need to do with J.Reed.

Holt has consistently been one of the best WRs, in terms of production, in the NFL over the years. Yes, he's slowing down. No, he isn't the player that he once was. And, with his knee injury, he probably isn't going to make it through whatever kind of contract that the Bills would have to give him to get him. But, he is still better than any WR that they have other than Evans (some may even argue with that!) and his experience and work-ethic can only help to make all of the Bills' WRs (and maybe even T.Edwards) better. And, the Bills will really only need him for a couple of seasons....

Steve Johnson and Hardy are not ready to step in as starters in the NFL yet (Johnson might be close depending on how he progresses up until the season starts), but neither is a "lost cause" by any means at this point. It often takes three years for WRs, especially big WRs like Hardy, to develop into starting quality players in the NFL--a lot of Bills fans thought that Eric Moulds was an utter bust until his third season. The Bills can't give up on these two WRs--they do have the potential to develop into pretty good NFL receivers--but they need to do something to bolster their passing game if they can in the interim. Holt is the kind of guy who can give them quality play--maybe not the kind of star-caliber play that he produced in the past--while Johnson and Hardy are developing. And, being an excellent route runner (a guy who has been very good getting off press coverage and dealing with double-teams), he can do a lot to help not only those two young guys, but all of the Bills receivers to get better.

I thought that Coles could help the Bills inspite of some of the problems that he had in Washington and with the Jets, but I like Holt a whole lot better. And, if I am reading Chris Brown's blog correctly, I think the Bills do, too, and will try to make a move to get him. Whether they will be successful or not, I don't know, but I would like to see them try to get him and think that they will.

Michael82
03-05-2009, 05:36 AM
We have no chance at convincing him to come over as a FA and his contract expires in 2010. So he would give us a 1-year stop gap while James Hardy and Steve Johnson develop more. All we gotta do is call St. Louis and offer a 5th rounder. I'm sure they would take it. It's better than nothing. :up:

Bert102176
03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
since he asked for his release see about trading a 7th for him it's better then just releasing him and getting nothing