PDA

View Full Version : Can the Sabres make the playoffs?

Ebenezer
03-05-2009, 01:54 AM
One point back with one game in hand for the last spot...two simple questions...

Can the Sabres make the playoffs?

Will the Sabres make the playoffs?

Crisis
03-05-2009, 01:56 AM
yes...it's crazy how close it is though, realistically could finish anywhere from 5th to 10th.

one win and we can go from 9th to 7th...

SabreEleven
03-05-2009, 02:30 AM
Not by winning a game, losing a game, winning a game

This team is such head case. Now that the Trade Deadline is over, they can put away the Tampax and Midol and play some hockey. They don't have to worry about contracts and trades.

chernobylwraiths
03-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Can? Seriously Eb? That's kind of a silly question. Simple math.

Will? I think yes. :fingerscrossed:

User Manuel
03-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Yes, they need last night effort every night and they will be fine.

hydro
03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Yes, they need last night effort every night and they will be fine.

That might be a lot to ask :ill:

Dozerdog
03-05-2009, 07:19 AM
It depends on what teams want it least.

I think the Rangers will fade fast. Lots of changes and turmoil.

Depends on Montreal as well, they are kind of like us with key injuries and stretches of ineptitude. But they have a favorable schedule here on out

It will be interesting if Pittsburgh snaps out of it. Lots of new faces in their locker room- can they find chemistry in time? They have a bunch of soft teams coming up but a long western swing. Road trips usually bring teams together faster

Does Florida choke?

Can Carolina get it together? They still have the ingredients but I think one of the tougher schedules here on out. 1/4th of their remaining games are against New Jersey and Washington

My prediction- (In no particular order) Rangers out and Carolina just misses out- just like last yer.

Buffalo barely gets in, and they do it with the frustrating win one, lose one, win one, OTL, - they play OK but don't go on a tear. Our schedule is 1/3rd patsies, 1/3rd teams we are in a playoff fight with, and 1/3rd tough teams (Boston, Detroit)

We can't have any more injuries, and Lalime better settle in like he did last night. Hopefully getting more regular starts and ice time gets this guy to relax a bit

DrGraves
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes. After last nights game I have faith in this team again. If we can stay healthy and Miller can get back in goal soon we will be a contender the rest of the way.

OpIv37
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I said before the season started that they won't get in, and I stand by that. They just aren't consistent enough and they tend to play at the level of their competition, which is infuriating.

If they do get in, Boston or Washington will tear them a new one in the first round.

PcA125
03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Last night they looked like a team that wanted to make the playoffs. If they can play like that on a regular basis then I believe they will easily make the playoffs. HOwever, they cant have any more games like the one vs the isles

chernobylwraiths
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
18 games left
I feel 96 points will get you into the playoffs.
Buffalo has 72 right now, so:
I think they need 11 more wins and two overtime/so losses to get in minimum.

They need to learn how to beat Ottawa, need to take care of business vs Toronto and Atlanta (I think we have at least 7 games against these teams) and we have 4 almost must-win games at home twice vs Florida, and away game against the Rangers and Carolina each. We also have a home and away game each vs the Flyers. It is certainly doable.

THATHURMANATOR
03-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I fully expect them to make the playoffs.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I said before the season started that they won't get in, and I stand by that. They just aren't consistent enough and they tend to play at the level of their competition, which is infuriating.

If they do get in, Boston or Washington will tear them a new one in the first round.

And this is why I yesterday pointed out that teams like Montreal and the Rangers are just as inconsistent. If the Sabres are to inconsistent to make the playoffs so are Carolina, NYR, Montreal, Florida and Pittsburgh. All of those teams have the same bad habits the Sabres have.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2009, 03:09 PM
18 games left
I feel 96 points will get you into the playoffs.
Buffalo has 72 right now, so:
I think they need 11 more wins and two overtime/so losses to get in minimum.

They need to learn how to beat Ottawa, need to take care of business vs Toronto and Atlanta (I think we have at least 7 games against these teams) and we have 4 almost must-win games at home twice vs Florida, and away game against the Rangers and Carolina each. We also have a home and away game each vs the Flyers. It is certainly doable.

Last year 94 got a team into the playoffs.

I expect the cut-off to be a little lower this year. Maybe 92 or 93.

OpIv37
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
And this is why I yesterday pointed out that teams like Montreal and the Rangers are just as inconsistent. If the Sabres are to inconsistent to make the playoffs so are Carolina, NYR, Montreal, Florida and Pittsburgh. All of those teams have the same bad habits the Sabres have.

But we can't count on their inconsistency for us to get in. If 2 or 3 of those teams catch a hot streak, like they've all done several times, the Sabres are out.

The point is that the only way for the Sabres to get in is to take care of their own business over an 18 game stretch, and so far they've proven themselves to be too inconsistent to do that.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
But we can't count on their inconsistency for us to get in. If 2 or 3 of those teams catch a hot streak, like they've all done several times, the Sabres are out.

The point is that the only way for the Sabres to get in is to take care of their own business over an 18 game stretch, and so far they've proven themselves to be too inconsistent to do that.

Yes I understand that.

I am not sure you are getting my point. If that is true about the Sabres it is also true about the other 5 teams. And none of them have shown themselves anymore capable than the Sabres of taking care of their own business for 18 games in a row. In short, the 6 teams fighting for the 4 spots are the same team with the same bad habits and the same problems.

It is a crapshoot which 4 make it.

You are assuming the Sabes remain inconsistent, while assuming that the others will not.

Really, for any of these teams, the chance of them getting in is about 67%. They are all real close in points now and are fairly equal. The one advantage the Sabres have is that they just got their best skater back who will hopefully lift them up from their recent skid.

And, if 2 or 3 get hot, it is equally likely that 2 of them get cold at the same time. Of course the Sabres could be in either category.

OpIv37
03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes I understand that.

I am not sure you are getting my point. If that is true about the Sabres it is also true about the other 5 teams. And none of them have shown themselves anymore capable than the Sabres of taking care of their own business for 18 games in a row. In short, the 6 teams fighting for the 4 spots are the same team with the same bad habits and the same problems.

It is a crapshoot which 4 make it.

You are assuming the Sabes remain inconsistent, while assuming that the others will not.

Really, for any of these teams, the chance of them getting in is about 67%. They are all real close in points now and are fairly equal. The one advantage the Sabres have is that they just got their best skater back who will hopefully lift them up from their recent skid.

And, if 2 or 3 get hot, it is equally likely that 2 of them get cold at the same time. Of course the Sabres could be in either category.

Your argument is basically "even if the Sabres finish poorly, there is a good chance that 2 other teams will finish even more poorly and they'll get in anyway."

Sorry but that's not good enough for me. The only guaranteed way to get in is to take care of their own business. You know as well as I do that luck is the enemy of Buffalo sports. 67% odds are not good enough to make me believe.

chubluv
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Yes we can. With a solid consistent effort the sky is the limit.

:rolleyes:

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Your argument is basically "even if the Sabres finish poorly, there is a good chance that 2 other teams will finish even more poorly and they'll get in anyway."

Sorry but that's not good enough for me. The only guaranteed way to get in is to take care of their own business. You know as well as I do that luck is the enemy of Buffalo sports. 67% odds are not good enough to make me believe.

That is not my argument at all.

My point is this:

"The Sabres are inconsistent. They can't make the playoffs because of that. The Rangers, Panthers, Penguins, Hurricanes, and Canadiens are inconsistent too. But there inconsitency does not effect them."

And you make your own luck.

The inconsistency alone won't stop them. It all matters what teams get hot and cold. Because the Sabres have the best coaching of the 6 teams (we might agree on that one), they have as good of a chance as anybody of avoiding a run of **** play.

And I think it is likely they squeak in, but there are no guarantees.

OpIv37
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
That is not my argument at all.

My point is this:

"The Sabres are inconsistent. They can't make the playoffs because of that. The Rangers, Panthers, Penguins, Hurricanes, and Canadiens are inconsistent too. But there inconsitency does not effect them."

And you make your own luck.

The inconsistency alone won't stop them. It all matters what teams get hot and cold. Because the Sabres have the best coaching of the 6 teams (we might agree on that one), they have as good of a chance as anybody of avoiding a run of **** play.

And I think it is likely they squeak in, but there are no guarantees.

You don't make your own luck. Maybe the Sabres win 11 of their last 18 but 4 of those teams win 12 of their last 18.

One point you've been neglecting: those other inconsistent teams don't have their star goaltender on the injury list. If nothing else, I've come completely around on Miller and Vanek. Even though I've knocked them in the past, their value to this team has been proven.