X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Roy Williams (SS)

I know a lot of posters don't like the idea of bringing in Roy Williams but at the end of the day he is a good football player.

He isn't a good coverage safety but he is one of the best run support safeties in the NFL. The reason I think the Bills could be interested in him is for the versatility he could bring to our defense. He could be a LB in our 4-3, a LB in a nickel situation, a safety in an obvious run situation, an in the box safety on any down which would allow Whitner to roam free. Think about it, in late November, December and dare I say January when teams come to Buffalo or anywhere else we play with bad weather, its the run game that decides the outcome. Having a safety like Roy would be a big advantage. Plus, he is still only 28.

If the Bills can get him on a decent contract I would be down for that.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Roy Williams (SS)

hes a good football player, bad safety. perhaps at SS, but hes just such a liability in coverage, i cant imagine him trying to cover that deep zone.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

If he would add 10 pounds and play OLB Id have no issue bringing him in for a shot, but he's going to want to get paid and I have no interest in paying him a high rate when he'd have to change positions.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        If he would add 10 pounds and play OLB Id have no issue bringing him in for a shot, but he's going to want to get paid and I have no interest in paying him a high rate when he'd have to change positions.
        I would keep him at his current playing weight. It makes him versatile that way. I wouldn't give him a huge contract though.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
          I would keep him at his current playing weight. It makes him versatile that way. I wouldn't give him a huge contract though.
          Well from what Pat reported they are considering him as a ROV type, and bringing in 4 corners on passing downs. We'd need to add a playmaking CF S though to make it all work.
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Well from what Pat reported they are considering him as a ROV type, and bringing in 4 corners on passing downs. We'd need to add a playmaking CF S though to make it all work.
            I think they will give the playmaking safety role to Whitner. With a bit of a pass rush I think Donte can be the player we expect him to be.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Feb 2005

he will want 5 million a year, and we are not paying that. he is a liability at safety and he has never play LB in the NFL before so it isnt happening. its either going to be june or they are going to sign peterson and move poz (which could create another problem if poz doesnt transition well and then we ruin all the progress poz made at MLB)

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
                he will want 5 million a year, and we are not paying that. he is a liability at safety and he has never play LB in the NFL before so it isnt happening. its either going to be june or they are going to sign peterson and move poz (which could create another problem if poz doesnt transition well and then we ruin all the progress poz made at MLB)
                I really wouldnt be impressed with the June signing. He is good yes but finding players like him in the later rounds of the draft is easy. Plus I think Roy offers more versatility in terms of what you could do with him.

I also doubt he will command 5 mil a year and if he does then forget it.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I think they will give the playmaking safety role to Whitner. With a bit of a pass rush I think Donte can be the player we expect him to be.
                  I dont see it at this point...
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

not accurate.
                    I didnt report that. i said very specifically that I talked to a writer who used that quote..

Not me. he was a making a case as to why Buffalo would be interested. I never reported we were interested..

I"m pretty sure the Bills havent even thought about him yet with all these guys that they've had coming in and out.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

I dont see it at this point...
                      Well he hasn't had much of an opportunity to be a playmaker in the pass game. For one he is usually up or around the LOS defending the run as a SS or he is in coverage for too long due to our pass rush or not long enough when they throw quick and hot.

Either way I'm pretty sure the Bills are intent on making Whitner a FS and giving him the opportunity to use his skills.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        not accurate.
                        I didnt report that. i said very specifically that I talked to a writer who used that quote..

Not me. he was a making a case as to why Buffalo would be interested. I never reported we were interested..

I"m pretty sure the Bills havent even thought about him yet with all these guys that they've had coming in and out.
                        My mistake Pat reported another guy said the Bills should consider it.

Your last statement would be sad if its true. They've had what 5 or 6 guys come in 48 hours? You telling me that they didnt have 10 minutes to see Roy Williams is getting released and at least consider it?
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Well he hasn't had much of an opportunity to be a playmaker in the pass game. For one he is usually up or around the LOS defending the run as a SS or he is in coverage for too long due to our pass rush or not long enough when they throw quick and hot.

Either way I'm pretty sure the Bills are intent on making Whitner a FS and giving him the opportunity to use his skills.

What skills? He already uses his best skills which is play recognition and tackling. He's never been a ball hawk, and I dont see why that will suddenly change now. He's a sure tackler which will is nice but his previous 9 years of football never showed him to be a ball hawk so to expect that of him now is a little far fetched for me.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Thurmal
                            • Oct 2005

With our lack of pass rush, the last thing we need is another player with coverage problems.
                            "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• DynaPaul
                              • Sep 2003

No way. We already got safeties that are good in run support but not in coverage.

Comment

Working...
                              X