PDA

View Full Version : New Dick Jauron Interview from buffalobills.com

Mudflap1
03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
From www.buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com):

From time-to-time in the offseason, buffalobills.com will be sitting down with Bills Head Coach Dick Jauron in interviews generated by questions from Bills fans. Let's get started:

1. Coach Jauron, what factors do you attribute to the way the Bills started the 2008 season so promising, but faded down the stretch?

DJ: Well, there are two factors that I think you have to look at. First, we have a very young team, and a lot of times young teams will struggle for a portion of the season. They have to learn how to win. And they're learning. Second, the Bills had the easiest schedule seen in years. We didn't play anybody for the first four weeks. How could we not start off okay?

2. What do you see as the Bills' strategy to free agency this year?

DJ: I think generally what we would like to do is sign 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, some as depth, and some as starters. There's no point in throwing out $7 million per year to someone like Laverneous Coles when we can sign three to four high-motor, character guys to take his place, and that can also play special teams.

3. Without tipping your hand, what can we expect with the draft?

DJ: I think it's fair to say that you will see us reach with a player at No. 11 that is probably valued somewhere in the No. 20-25 range. Since we only have six offensive linemen as of now and plan to start Geoff Hangartner (career backup) and Kirk Chambers, I think we will fill out the rest of the depth of the offensive line with second day picks and rookie free agents. As you know, it all starts in the trenches.

4. Earlier in the offseason in another interview, you were quoted as saying the Bills were "one of (your) favorite teams". Can you elaborate on that statement?

DJ: This answer should be relatively obvious. My other favorite teams are the New York Jets, Miami Dolphins, and New England Patriots. How else can you explain going 0-6 in division play last season?

5. How will the Bills better handle 3-4 defenses this season?

DJ: Well, I don't want to get into specifics, but let's just say that our strategy has been internally laid out in an offensive plan titled "Turk keys to the offseason".

6. There has been a lot of chatter about your contract extension, and whether it was premature for the organization to provide you with one. Can you comment on this?

DJ: Well, as you know, I know Dick about coaching. So I don't have a problem with it.

7. What was your worst moment as head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

DJ: This one is a no-brainer. The day the front office told me we were letting Tim Anderson go.

8. Do you have any insight into who will introduce Ralph Wilson into the Hall of Fame later this year?

DJ: Actually, yes! I have had a lot of input with this one. The team is trying to make it up to me for disappointing moves in the past that went against my input. The person introducing Ralph Wilson into the Hall of Fame will be none other than ... Tim Anderson!

9. What is a "day in the life" of Dick Jauron in the offeason?

DJ: I usually get out of the coffin around 7am, meet Russ Brandon and Ralph Wilson at Denny's next to the stadium for Grand Slam breakfasts all around, meet some of the retreads that we have in town visiting as free agents, plan for who we are going to reach for in the draft, listen to rumors about why I'm the reason this organization is struggling (even though the assclowns in the front office won't take any responsibility), and sometimes I even leak confidential information to BillsWin and more cowbell. Lastly, as you probably know, I can be known as a bit of a prankster, so I can also be seen time to time giving Chris Brown wedgies when I see him walking down the hall in the office.

10. What is your prognosis for the upcoming Bills' season?

DJ: In the words of Clubber Lang: pain. Seriously though, I quietly have a realtor engaged in selling my home locally and am seeking career counseling. As a fall back position, I could always go to work at Denny's if things don't work out. I think Mr. Wilson can put in a good word for me.

Check back soon with buffalobills.com for more questions from the fans in our "Get to know Dick" column...

DraftBoy
03-05-2009, 02:20 PM
:rofl:

BILLSROCK1212
03-05-2009, 02:20 PM
From www.buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com):

From time-to-time in the offseason, buffalobills.com will be sitting down with Bills Head Coach Dick Jauron in interviews generated by questions from Bills fans. Let's get started:

1. Coach Jauron, what factors do you attribute to the way the Bills started the 2008 season so promising, but faded down the stretch?

Well, there are two factors that I think you have to look at. First, we have a very young team, and a lot of times young teams will struggle for a portion of the season. They have to learn how to win. And they're learning. Second, the Bills had the easiest schedule that seen in years. We didn't play anybody for the first four weeks. How could we not start off okay?

2. What do you see as the Bills' strategy to free agency this year?

I think generally what we would like to do is sign 2nd and 3rd tier free agents, some as depth, and some as starters. There's no point in throwing out $7 million per year to someone like Laverneous Coles when we can sign three to four high-motor, character guys to take his place, and that can also play special teams.

3. Without tipping your hand, what can we expect with the draft?

I think it's fair to say that you will see us reach with a player at No. 11 that is probably valued somewhere in the No. 20-25 range. Since we only have six offensive linemen as of now and plan to start Geoff Hangartner (career backup) and Kirk Chambers, I think we will fill out the rest of the depth of the offensive line with second day picks and rookie free agents. As you know, it all starts in the trenches.

4. Earlier in the offseason in another interview, you were quoted as saying the Bills were "one of (your) favorite teams". Can you elaborate on that statement?

This answer should be relatively obvious. My other favorite teams are the New York Jets, Miami Dolphins, and New England Patriots. How else can you explain going 0-6 in division play last season?

5. How will the Bills better handle 3-4 defenses this season?

Well, I don't want to get into specifics, but let's just say that our strategy has been internally laid out in a offensive plan titled "Turk keys to the offseason".

6. There has been a lot of chatter about your contract extension, and whether it was premature for the organization to provide you with one. Can you comment on this?

Well, as you know, I know Dick about coaching. So I don't have a problem with it.

7. What was your worst moment as head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

This one is a no-brainer. The day the front office told me we were letting Tim Anderson go.

8. Do you have any insight into who will introduce Ralph Wilson into the Hall of Fame later this year?

Actually, yes! I have had a lot of input with this one. The team is trying to make it up to me for disappointing moves in the past that went against my input. The person introducing Ralph Wilson into the Hall of Fame will be none other than ... Tim Anderson!

9. What is a "day in the life" of Dick Jauron in the offeason?

I usually get out of the coffin around 7am, meet Russ Brandon and Ralph Wilson at Denny's next to the stadium for Grand Slam breakfasts all around, meet some of the retreads that we have in town visiting as free agents, plan for who we are going to reach for in the draft, listen to rumors about why I'm the reason this organization is struggling (even though the assclowns in the front office won't take any responsibility), and sometimes I even leak confidential information to BillsWin and more cowbell. Lastly, as you probably know, I can be known as a bit of a prankster, so I can also be seen time to time giving Chris Brown wedgies when I see him walking down the hall in the office.

10. What is your prognosis for the upcoming Bills' season?

In the words of Clubber Lang: pain. Seriously though, I quietly have a realtor engaged in selling my home locally and am seeking career counseling. As a fall back position, I could always go to work at Denny's if things don't work out. I think Mr. Wilson can put in a good word for me.

Check back soon with buffalobills.com for more questions from the fans in our "Get to know Dick" column...ahahhaha u actually had me going for awhile

Oldbillsfan
03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Nice to see him being honest for a change instead of coach speak.

Pinkerton Security
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Nice to see him being honest for a change instead of coach speak.
sorry bro, but if you think thats real, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Idaho.

had me going until the 2nd question.

OpIv37
03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
nice work- I got a laugh out of it.

bigbub2352
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
LOL-awesome gotta fit his nickname in there somehow DJ aka Skeletor

justasportsfan
03-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Nice

trapezeus
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
mudflap can we give you some questions that you could....er. I mean, Dick Jauron could answer?

If so, here is my question

Coach, is the team really this clueless and helpless or is this just a master plan to stockpile so much depth players that someone is going to have to offer us their studs to get depth of their own?

Mudflap1
03-05-2009, 03:09 PM
mudflap can we give you some questions that you could....er. I mean, Dick Jauron could answer?

If so, here is my question

Coach, is the team really this clueless and helpless or is this just a master plan to stockpile so much depth players that someone is going to have to offer us their studs to get depth of their own?

DJ: The front office philosophy can be explained like this -- The Buffalo Bills compared to the rest of the NFL are not unlike minor league baseball being the farm system for the rest of the NFL. Pat Williams, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee, Antoine Winfield, and, yes, even Tim Anderson are all testaments to this. They were all homegrown Bills and all went on to greener pastures.

As for "studs", if you mean players such as Geoff Hangartner, Robert Royal, and Ryan Fitzpatrick, then yes, I agree with you. Those guys slipped through the cracks and were expendable by their teams. I'm just glad we were there to snatch them up.

trapezeus
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks Coach.
You seem to want to need more players to run your scheme and your philosophy. Both you and the owner talk about needing more skilled players. What have you done during the offseason to improve your coaching? Should we still look for the 2-3 timeouts taken in the first quarter? Will we send the FG unit in when we are down 20+ points in a game? Are we going to trust Lindell in hurricane conditions even though you don't like him with no wind +40yards out?

Mudflap1
03-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks Coach.
You seem to want to need more players to run your scheme and your philosophy. Both you and the owner talk about needing more skilled players. What have you done during the offseason to improve your coaching? Should we still look for the 2-3 timeouts taken in the first quarter? Will we send the FG unit in when we are down 20+ points in a game? Are we going to trust Lindell in hurricane conditions even though you don't like him with no wind +40yards out?

DJ: In the future, please break out the questions separately, I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Regarding the scheme, we did something new this season. We studied films and evaluated players. You may have seen the results of this with the Dockery move. This is a new frontier for the staff, so we are optimistic this may enhance our gameplanning, strategy, and ability to find players that may have passing grades for us next season.

As for gameday coaching, we are exploring a situation where I may have my hands sewn into my pants during the game so I can avoid calling useless timeouts. If my hands do break free, our midget trainer is instructed to immediately grab my hands and put them back in my pants.

Our special teams are the hallmark of our team. To be honest, it's a little bit of a psychological move with Lindell. We don't want him getting too comfortable or feeling too inflated with his stats to where he'll hold out and ask for more money. It's an experiment we tried last year after learning from the Jason Peters holdout situation. We are always looking to improve upon our mistakes.

BSU Drew
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
sorry bro, but if you think thats real, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Idaho.

had me going until the 2nd question.

I live in Boise and im about 2 blocks away from the ocean... its amazing

Mad Bomber
03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
:roflmao:
This is HoF material for sure.

Philagape
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
You forgot that he called timeouts after questions 3 and 5, and he challenged question 6 (unsuccessfully)

trapezeus
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Sorry coach. We forgot how tiring answering questions can be.

1. If Trent has a game with 4+ interceptions, less than 100 yards passing and 5 or more sacks, do you think you'll still tell us about how one day he really is going to be one of the better QB's in the league?

2. Is it true that you planted the weapon and drugs in Marshawns car because you didn't like having a decent player on the roster?

3. What do you think the Club Jauron Training Camp will serve in the months of July and August? Rumor has it that the players liked the arugala salad and the salmon.

4. Are you hell bent on running the famous 3 and out offense again or are you going to showcase Brian Moorman's skills with punts on second down?

Mudflap1
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
You forgot that he called timeouts after questions 3 and 5, and he challenged question 6 (unsuccessfully)

DJ: We had trouble getting the answers in on time for questions 3 and 5. That's something we have to work on, and I take full responsibility for that. As for question 6, my assistants informed me it was a risk worth taking. You win some and lose some. In the future, we will have personnel director John Guy involved so that these mistakes don't happen again.

Mad Bomber
03-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Coach, your record on challenges is less than stellar. What factors do you take into account when deciding to challenge a call?

Mudflap1
03-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Sorry coach. We forgot how tiring answering questions can be.

1. If Trent has a game with 4+ interceptions, less than 100 yards passing and 5 or more sacks, do you think you'll still tell us about how one day he really is going to be one of the better QB's in the league?

2. Is it true that you planted the weapon and drugs in Marshawns car because you didn't like having a decent player on the roster?

3. What do you think the Club Jauron Training Camp will serve in the months of July and August? Rumor has it that the players liked the arugala salad and the salmon.

4. Are you hell bent on running the famous 3 and out offense again or are you going to showcase Brian Moorman's skills with punts on second down?

Answer 1:

DJ: Yes, if the game is against a team with a 3-4 defense, which more than likely will be a divisional contest. The teams in our division our bound to change defensive schemes eventually. Lastly, the law of averages are on our side with Trent not having to face those schemes as much, as he averages being injured for 8 games per season throughout his college and pro career.

Answer 2:

DJ: Nobody likes kicking back and blazing the monkey tail on occasion more than yours truly (I'm a huge Dead fan), but I had nothing to do with the drugs and Marshawn's car. Keep in mind though, we haven't heard from Marv Levy lately, have we?

Answer 3:

DJ: Actually, we're going on a Carnival cruise! Accordingly, salmon will probably be on the menu, as will chocolate lava cake (John McCargo's favorite). The front office has informed me only a select group of reporters that speak positively about the Bills will be allowed to attend. Sorry Pat, that leaves you out.

Answer 4:

DJ: Without going into too many specifics, Brian Moorman may be a player on the move. His salary is cost prohibitive and we may want to move in a more frugal and youthful direction. So no, he won't be showcased before 4th down (hypothetically speaking). Don't rule out a surprise quick kick or two from Gibran Hamdan.

Mudflap1
03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Coach, your record on challenges is less than stellar. What factors do you take into account when deciding to challenge a call?

DJ: I'm glad you asked. A little known secret is that most of the time when a challenge occurred in the past, J.P. Losman would get a call from the booth and run up and grab my ass, and I would throw the challenge flag immediately. We are hopeful Ryan Fitzpatrick can fill this void this upcoming season.

Mudflap1
03-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I wonder if Chris Brown trolls this site? I mean, he's by the computer most of the day, right? If so, I bet he's wondering how we found out DJ gives him wedgies in the office... atomic ones too probably!

Jon

SabreEleven
03-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Coach, I know how you can solve the TO problem this past year. Petition the NFL for 6 times out a half for just the Buffalo Bills. This would solve that quandry...You won't have to solve the nagging problem of becoming a better coach.

Last question and than I'll hang up and listen...How confident are you that the Bills can finish with another 7-9 record? This would be another record that the Bills can hang on the Wall....The level of medocricty isn't easy to obtain. It takes a lot effort very little at a time to accomplish. It does take a lot of excuses though.

Mudflap1
03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Coach, I know how you can solve the TO problem this past year. Petition the NFL for 6 times out a half for just the Buffalo Bills. This would solve that quandry...You won't have to solve the nagging problem of becoming a better coach.

Last question and than I'll hang up and listen...How confident are you that the Bills can finish with another 7-9 record? This would be another record that the Bills can hang on the Wall....The level of medocricty isn't easy to obtain. It takes a lot effort very little at a time to accomplish. It does take a lot of excuses though.

Answer 1:

DJ: Six timeouts aren't necessary. As stated earlier, we have made adjustments for the timeout problem. I'm confident sewing my hands in my pants will work, and if it doesn't, the midget trainer runs a 4.5 seconds 40 yard dash, so he should be more than adequate of filling his role if called upon.

If there every was a rule change, I would be in favor of removing all timeouts. That way the problem will be eliminated completely.

Answer 2:

DJ: As you know, consistency in the NFL is key. However, I have to say, with the schedule that we have, the lack of talent on the roster compared to this time last year, and the fact that the rest of my "favorite teams" have all upgraded, I think 7-9 would be a record that should make me NFL Coach of the Year. Four wins or less is likely a more realistic goal.

trapezeus
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
the midget runs a 40 in 4.5????? sign him as a receiver. What's the wait, coach?

Mad Bomber
03-06-2009, 02:08 PM
the midget runs a 40 in 4.5????? sign him as a receiver. What's the wait, coach?
Exactly. We could deal Evans and use the midget and Roscoe as our 1&2.

Mski
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
:roflmao:
This is HoF material for sure.

+1

2 had me guessing it was a joke and 4 hand me literally laughing out loud

trapezeus
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM

i don't know, i like what we are doing right now. Cut our offensive linemen and then keep receivers who are only open after the 5 second mark because their routes are long ones. This keeps our stat of getting our QB killed for 5 years in a row in tact. The goal should be that our line can't sustain a block for even a screen pass to develop. and then not have a single running back that can catch out of the backfield.

also the lineman should be bad enough that when the opposing team stacks the box, it should look like schools out for summer and the opposing team t's off on either lynch, the guy we get in the trade for lynch, jackson or any of the 3rd tier RB's we are looking at.

Mudflap1
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM

DJ: I cannot confirm or deny this statement. In addition, please ignore any "rumors" that BillsWin or more cowbell spread where they state they have "inside" information regarding this matter prior to the draft. One Bills Drive has no official comment. All I can do is say this: why do you think the Bills didn't make a significant offer to Laverneous Coles?

Mudflap1
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
DJ: Everyone, I just wanted to let you know we are about to wrap things up for the week here at One Bills Drive. I'm excited that the front office has given us the weekend off after a hard week's efforts in signing free agents. I would suggest that if anyone has anymore questions, to get them in shortly, or else we'll have to hold off until next week. Now, for one last order of business, as I see Chris Brown heading down the hallway...

SabreEleven
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Answer 1:

DJ: Six timeouts aren't necessary. As stated earlier, we have made adjustments for the timeout problem. I'm confident sewing my hands in my pants will work, and if it doesn't, the midget trainer runs a 4.5 seconds 40 yard dash, so he should be more than adequate of filling his role if called upon.

If there every was a rule change, I would be in favor of removing all timeouts. That way the problem will be eliminated completely.

Answer 2:

DJ: As you know, consistency in the NFL is key. However, I have to say, with the schedule that we have, the lack of talent on the roster compared to this time last year, and the fact that the rest of my "favorite teams" have all upgraded, I think 7-9 would be a record that should make me NFL Coach of the Year. Four wins or less is likely a more realistic goal.

Rebuttle #1
Coach, News flash, you aren't the only one who can call Time outs on your team. Is Edwards going to have his own midget? this midget will have to run a 3.9....

Rebuttle #2, You need to strive for 7-9 because "4 years at 7-9 = 4 Superbowl losses in a row"....I believe in you, Coach

unpaid_bills
03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Question for Coach Jauron:

If there were a movie made of your life, who would play you?

SabreEleven
03-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Judi Dench.

Historian
03-07-2009, 04:55 AM
high-motor

:rofl:

DJ: I usually get out of the coffin around 7am,

I pissed my pants on this one!

Mudflap1
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Rebuttle #1
Coach, News flash, you aren't the only one who can call Time outs on your team. Is Edwards going to have his own midget? this midget will have to run a 3.9....

Rebuttle #2, You need to strive for 7-9 because "4 years at 7-9 = 4 Superbowl losses in a row"....I believe in you, Coach

Answer 1:

DJ: This answer is obvious. As a matter of fact, Trent Edwards does have his own speedy midget, and has had him all along. Trent's timeout midget is Roscoe Parrish.

Answer 2:

DJ: I don't think there's a chance in hell that we'll be 7-9 this year with the schedule and depleted roster. Don't take that in an optimistic way. If we were, I should be coach of the year. However, perhaps with T.O. we might have a chance at 7-9. Either that, or I'll get fired early in the season, and can start my joint venture project with J.P. Losman operating funeral homes.

Mudflap1
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Question for Coach Jauron:

If there were a movie made of your life, who would play you?

DJ: I've always been a huge admirer of Boris Karloff...

Mudflap1
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
DJ: I delivered! It was me crafting this deal behind the scenes... you saw the quote that T.O. wanted to talk to some friends with Buffalo ties about the city. I'm going to break the scoop right now, the friend was the midget trainer!

trapezeus
03-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Coach, how desperate are you that you would sign TO?

Mudflap1
03-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Coach, how desperate are you that you would sign TO?

DJ: Well, as I said earlier, the midget trainer talked Terrell into wanting to be in Buffalo, and as you know, I rely on the little guy for a lot of things. Now that this whole ordeal is over... I think I should confess that the whole "Roscoe is Trent's midget for the timeouts" thing was a smokescreen because we were lining the T.O. show up since Thursday. Pretty crafty for a guy that looks like Vincent Price (nowadays, and he died in 1993), don't you think?

You can bet Chris Brown got a few extra wedgies today!!!