PDA

View Full Version : Why do I feel like

X-Era
03-05-2009, 07:36 PM
We are the hotel for the NFL

Its like free agents come to visit, stay for one night on their way to their new homes.

Pretty ridiculous.

We are either not taking free agency seriously, or they are not taking the Bills seriously, or both.

Its really becoming a chirade at this point. Can we get serious? please?

Right now, were just supplying continental breakfast, its pretty cheezy

cocamide
03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm curious, are similar things happening to other teams? I'd imagine they are. These players are looking for the best options and there's 31 other teams out there. Let's say a player makes 5 visits before signing (I really don't know what the average is). That means there's 4 other teams that he visited without signing. Thus, most of the visits that occur will be from players who don't sign. This is probably true of any team.

X-Era
03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
I gotta think thats not completely true.

I mean I am on rotoworld and profooballtalk.com over and over every day and I see teams like the Fins and Pats go after guys and then sign them. Im not seeing them have 11 free agents visit.

Im not seeing anyone else have this many visits without more signings.

In fact, it seems the Broncos are the only other team with lost of visitors and that they have signed a bunch too. I dont have the facts, only a guess.

cocamide
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
You could be right. Why would anyone want to come to Buffalo over Miami or NE? Miami is coming off a good year, Parcells is there, the weather is nice (although I really can't stand the city of Miami, and that has nothing to do with the Fins). NE is always in the hunt, so if I was a vet without a ring, I'd take a slight paycut to play there for one last hurrah. Buffalo just doesn't have much to offer. It's sad.

Al the Bills Fan
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
It is pretty clear to see that FA are coming to Buffalo with no intention of signing with the Bills. They are clearly using the Bills as leverage

chernobylwraiths
03-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I think you have to get guys with the right mentality. I mean you have guys coming in here looking for huge money, you got guys coming in here looking for the limelight, you got guys coming in here looking to win right away. Some of this is the Bills fault. I'm sure some free agents have the perception that the people in Buffalo really don't know what the hell they are doing.

What I see is that there are many factors that go against Buffalo signing free agents. Top on the list is money. No by no means do I think Ralph is cheap when it comes to paying out for players. I think in much of that he leaves that to the people in charge (which is another strike against us, but I degress). I think players might actually come here thinking that with our situation, we have to overpay to get guys, and it can happen. The second thing against the Bills is partially their own making. Their record. Who wants to come to a team that hasn't won in a while. Usually, that is made up for with our first problem. Money will make everything magically disappear. You also have to consider the area. Now, Willis made it quite clear that this city doesn't have a big nightlife and some of these guys are all into that. Add to that the weather we have and the conglomeration makes it a fairly undesirable place to play at times.

So, to get guys, you need to look at their mindset, where they are from, what they are looking to accomplish, etc.

bigbry
03-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I think you have to get guys with the right mentality. I mean you have guys coming in here looking for huge money, you got guys coming in here looking for the limelight, you got guys coming in here looking to win right away. Some of this is the Bills fault. I'm sure some free agents have the perception that the people in Buffalo really don't know what the hell they are doing.

What I see is that there are many factors that go against Buffalo signing free agents. Top on the list is money. No by no means do I think Ralph is cheap when it comes to paying out for players. I think in much of that he leaves that to the people in charge (which is another strike against us, but I degress). I think players might actually come here thinking that with our situation, we have to overpay to get guys, and it can happen. The second thing against the Bills is partially their own making. Their record. Who wants to come to a team that hasn't won in a while. Usually, that is made up for with our first problem. Money will make everything magically disappear. You also have to consider the area. Now, Willis made it quite clear that this city doesn't have a big nightlife and some of these guys are all into that. Add to that the weather we have and the conglomeration makes it a fairly undesirable place to play at times.

So, to get guys, you need to look at their mindset, where they are from, what they are looking to accomplish, etc.

As a Dolphin fan I can tell you we didn't have a lot of real success in signing FA's despite the great weather, nite life etc, etc.....
After Parcells however things began to change.
Really the Bills are in desperate need of FO help. Until then fegetaboutit