PDA

View Full Version : Catching up with ... Morten Andersen

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-12-2003, 08:01 PM
(May 13, 2003) -- For a pro football player whose career spans two decades, life is good for Morten Andersen. He hardly gets tackled, he doesn't feel the crunch of the media week after week and he doesn't have to memorize hundreds of plays. However, when the Kansas City Chiefs have a fourth down or are stuck with a few ticks left on the clock and they're as many as 50 yards away from the goal posts, he becomes the most important player on the team.

Andersen is second in scoring in NFL history. Think about that -- think about every great quarterback and running back that has ever laced up his cleats. Not one of them can touch Andersen, who is responsible for 2,153 points over his career. Only Vikings kicker Gary Anderson (2,223 points) has scored more. Both men are in their 40s, and both men are still very active.

Touching on many topics, from a quick Danish lesson to his future in the league to hearing how his twin brother may be Iraq-bound, we "kick it around" with Andersen.

Where are you right now?

Andersen: I'm in Kansas City now, but I live in Atlanta.

How much training do you do in the offseason?

Andersen: Quite a bit. I've been working with Mackey Shilstone, a trainer in New Orleans. He has something called P.E.P., a performance enhancement program, and I've been doing stuff with him since 1989. He basically takes a "global" approach to training: He looks at everything from your personal health to your background, your risk factors and your history, then puts you through a battery of tests to see what your fitness level is, and then designs a 16-week sport-specific program that's geared toward making me a better kicker and not necessarily a better bench presser (laughs). He's prolonged my career, no question.

There are a couple of outfits around the country that do sport-specific training, and I may be biased but I think he's one of the best. He works with other NFL players, including more than a dozen kickers and punters over the years, and he also works with baseball players, college kids, other people in other sports. He just finished working with boxer Roy Jones Jr.

http://nfl.com/news/story/6365660