PDA

View Full Version : At the game last night

losman2evans
08-30-2002, 04:43 PM
Well from watching in the stands last night, here are a few observations that appeared obvious.

Our special teams has definately improved.

Too many penalties- even the Detroit fans were saying how undisciplined the Bills team appeared.

Difficult to judge the defensive line because Detroit as Indianopolis (until Edgerrin returns ) has no running game.

4th and 8 inches ( down by a touchdown with minutes left in te game) and we throw the ball- Maybe we didn't want overtime- :).

One of Detroits linebackers and a special teams ace will be out 4-6 weeks- sure glad the Bills came out healthy. Scary watching
Drew get sandwiched in the preseason.

Bostic looked good
Coy was all over the place- too bad he gave up the deep ball
Rone ( spelling ) played like a guy really trying to earn a spot
Johnson did not play well at all

I read on the board that Jenning played well- it was difficult to assess the offensive line from the stands I guess.
The running back were getting very little holes to run through; however Detroit has a pretty tough front four.

There were quit a few Bills fans there and we all yelled pretty loud without any problems from their fans so I hope we do the same for the Detroit fans when they come to Buffalo.

RedEyE
08-30-2002, 05:21 PM
"Too many penalties- even the Detroit fans were saying how undisciplined the Bills team appeared."
?
The Lions had more penalties than the Bills. Watching the tube, the officiating was terrible - too sensitive. Thanks for the assessment.

venis2k1
08-30-2002, 06:06 PM
yea, we had 8 penalties for a loss of 55 yards, the lions had 12 penalties for a astonishing loss of 111 yards!!

HenryRules
08-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Personally, I liked the pass call on 4th and inches. Its not something I want to see often in the regular season, but after seeing that I think when teams play us in the regular season, they'll think twice about having both safeties play up in the box. And if that was EM and DB instead of TB and whomever, that could very well have been a TD. The coverage was beat enough that a great throw/great play by the receiver would have resulted in a TD. As I said, not something I want to see all the time, but when the game doesn't count, why not give future defensive co-ordinators something to think about.

Rebecky
08-30-2002, 06:25 PM
I'll agree with goal line pass call in preseason -- we KNOW we can push into the endzone with inches (at least, we SHOULD know this), but can we pass into the endzone?

To me, it's the same principle as with the first team kicking a 20 yd field goal in an earlier game -- we KNOW we can kick a 20 yd field goal, why not try something else and see how our other options pan out.

venis2k1
08-30-2002, 07:15 PM
funny you should mention that rebecky, we missed a 29 yard feild goal last night.

losman2evans
08-30-2002, 10:27 PM
Most of the comments about too many penalties and being undisciplined came with the first units in the beginning of the game.

I ave no problem with throwing on 4th and a yard but 4th and inches. Also, not a great call in the 4th quarter down by 7. I know, I know if we would have made it nobody would be second guessing but being an armchair quarterback it felt very frustrating.

I don't have the stats but the Bills seemed to have many more penalties initially.

Go Bills!!!