PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City may lose Chiefs, Royals

Philagape
03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
KC Budget Plan Would Break Lease

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders said he's concerned the Chiefs and Royals could leave Kansas City because of the city's budget proposal.

Kansas City has an $85 million budget shortfall that has to be fixed by the end of the month.

Thursday, Mayor Mark Funkhouser put forward his plan, which includes eliminating nearly $2 million the city gives each year to the Truman Sports Complex.

http://www.kmbc.com/money/18866748/detail.html

Hopefully another city will take the Chiefs instead of the Bills

Bill Brasky
03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
i really dislike relocation. the chiefs are a flagship franchise and shouldn't even be considered for moving.

move oakland, they can't sell out to save their life and the bay area doesn't need 2 teams. put them back in LA.

or jacksonville. that franchise has been a joke since its inception.

OpIv37
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
the Chiefs, Royals, MLB and NFL will easily come up with the $2m- that's not a problem.

But the lease is a big issue- if the city stops paying the money, it probably violates the terms of the lease, which will allow the teams to leave if they want. Ouch.

Arrowhead is a brutal place to play and KC has some hardcore fans, so I'd hate to see them lose their team. But, if it has to happen, better them than us.

Bill Brasky
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Arrowhead is a brutal place to play and KC has some hardcore fans

reason enough not to move them. move a team that people have proven to care less about.

Michael82
03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
reason enough not to move them. move a team that people have proven to care less about.
Like the Jaguars and the Raiders... :ill:

psubills62
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
the Chiefs, Royals, MLB and NFL will easily come up with the $2m- that's not a problem.

But the lease is a big issue- if the city stops paying the money, it probably violates the terms of the lease, which will allow the teams to leave if they want. Ouch.

Arrowhead is a brutal place to play and KC has some hardcore fans, so I'd hate to see them lose their team. But, if it has to happen, better them than us.

I generally agree with you here. But I never want to say "better them than us," because I hate it when other fans seem so apathetic about Buffalo moving. They've got great fans, and they deserve to keep their team around.

trapezeus
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
i have been clamoring about this for a while now. The NFL (and other really profitable businesses) always overestimate their hand when the times are good. And when the music stops, they are always stunned that they are left without a chair.

Stop reading the financial statistics about your company and ask some basic questions.
1. Is this profit because of rabid fandom caused over generations of stablity or because teams move the second more money is available? The answer seems to be the former. Look at the NHL and the dwindling NBA base that has seen countless moves and new franchises.
2. For every Dallas there seems to be two Buffalos. Do you really want to contract the league and only reward the highest performers, or do you want to hold on to the teams that operate in the black and have been there since the start. A lot of new stadiums seem to be getting backlash from fans. They are too corporate and too removed from the game. People like those arrowhead type stadiums. Especially when the team is a winner.

I can't see sweetheart deals arranged with taxpayer money going to billionaires for parking and stadium financing at this point. It was in vogue in the late 90's when there was money to spend, but i think if the NFL tries to move kansas city to a town willing to make the payment to the owner, it's going to spark quite a reaction.

The NFL should keep its mouth shut and just enjoy that its a highly profitable business in some of the worst times.

Mski
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
im not too familiar with the geographic, politcal division over there, but is Kansas City MO, and Kansas City KC, run under the same government? or is it possible that KC MO has a better financial situation, and the teams could just accross the river? :idunno:

trapezeus
03-06-2009, 04:30 PM
im not too familiar with the geographic, politcal division over there, but is Kansas City MO, and Kansas City KC, run under the same government? or is it possible that KC MO has a better financial situation, and the teams could just accross the river? :idunno:

it's like Shelbyville and Springfield. The two towns hate each other. Ever since KC, KC stole KC, MO's lemon tree.

Historian
03-07-2009, 04:28 AM
i really dislike relocation. the chiefs are a flagship franchise and shouldn't even be considered for moving.

The Chiefs are already a relocated team.

They were originally in Dallas.