PDA

View Full Version : Jason Babin

The Spaz
03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
DE Jason Babin and LB Mike Peterson are at OBD. Per V-Text

WeAreArthurMoates
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Now I know y we havent signed June or Keiho, were waiting on Peterson.

ddaryl
03-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Never heard of Babin before, his stats suggest he is a Kelsay clone

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5552

Peterson is an unecessary visit IMO.

jimbohastle51
03-06-2009, 03:07 PM

babin could be good depth, but he isnt a sack machine. he was a former first round pick though.

Yasgur's Farm
03-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Babin only makes sense if they plan to dump Kelsay's or Schobel's $'s.

The Spaz
03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
I may be wrong but I thought Babin played LB and DE with the Texans in a 3-4 defense.

T-Long
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Depth move here...where would he get snaps? We have Denney, Eliis, Bryan....unless he would be our 6th DE?

PH83
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I may be wrong but I thought Babin played LB and DE with the Texans in a 3-4 defense.OLB, which generally converts to a DE in a 4-3, especially in a C2.

At this juncture Babin offers nothing more than depth, and the depth provided isn't anything worth talking about. Though it's more reliable than what Ellis offers; still, I don't see this move happening, and rightfully so, it's the wrong move and not what this team needs.

Jeff1220
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
All this team has is depth. I'd like a few more starting caliber players please!

Mahdi
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Mike Peterson played OLB in Indy according to Chris Brown. In light of that fact Mike Peterson IMO is the best LB acquisition we can make. He will be much tougher and much stronger than Ellison and he still has great speed.

jimbohastle51
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I may be wrong but I thought Babin played LB and DE with the Texans in a 3-4 defense.

he is a tweener (plays outside linebacker in a 3-4, and DE in a 4-3

ddaryl
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't know.. Petersons production the last 3 seasons has been hampered by injuries and his play has seem to deteriorate.

PH83
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Mike Peterson played OLB in Indy according to Chris Brown. In light of that fact Mike Peterson IMO is the best LB acquisition we can make. He will be much tougher and much stronger than Ellison and he still has great speed.If he winds up in Buffalo it will be to play MLB. If he can stay healthy and keep his ego intact (had issues last year with Jacksonville) he can offer the Bills a season or two of solid play in the middle. In fact, I think that he's one of the top LB's in the league when healthy, his season in 2005 was as memorable as any in recent memory by a MLB.

This would be a great move because it would allow Posluszny to move to his natural position at OLB where his skills are best utilized.

DraftBoy
03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Im not sure on Babin most of his sacks have come as a 3-4 OLB as opposed to a 4-3 DE. He's one of those tweener players that this draft class is stocked full of. If we are going to go in that direction then we may as well wait and take a more athletic version in the draft.

jimbohastle51
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know.. Petersons production the last 3 seasons has been hampered by injuries and his play has seem to deteriorate.

he has ties to stroud and if the team is only looking for a 2 year stop gap, he is perfect, but if we are looking to fill the whole for the next 3-4 years i say june. i dont think right now the coaching staff can risk it with keiaho. they will loose there jobs if they do not make the playoffs and taking a risk on a guy who had a whopping 105 tackles last year really is a gamble, it isnt like he have 4 picks and 8 passes defensed to go with those tackles last year as a cover 2 LB. at least with june you know what your getting with him on the other side.

Mahdi
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
If he winds up in Buffalo it will be to play MLB. If he can stay healthy and keep his ego intact (had issues last year with Jacksonville) he can offer the Bills a season or two of solid play in the middle. In fact, I think that he's one of the top LB's in the league when healthy, his season in 2005 was as memorable as any in recent memory by a MLB.

This would be a great move because it would allow Posluszny to move to his natural position at OLB where his skills are best utilized.
I'm pretty sure they are not going to move Poz outside and have him lose valuable experience. Peterson was very successful as an OLB in Indy as a Cover 2 OLB so it makes sense that the Bills want him to play outside.

TonyBlack
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
i'll take babin over kelsay/denney anyday, i hope they sign mike peterson tho.

PH83
03-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty sure they are not going to move Poz outside and have him lose valuable experience. Peterson was very successful as an OLB in Indy as a Cover 2 OLB so it makes sense that the Bills want him to play outside.Peterson was a middle of the road, average OLB in Indy. His year(s) that people will remember are those that involved him playing in the middle where he has the ability to be truly dominating when healthy. One thing he does better than Posluszny that this defense could use more of is he blitzes better in the middle. Granted this isn't the kind of defense (the C2) that is predicated on the blitz, but it would at least give the Bills the option to do so more effectively.

Posluszny playing in the middle on the other hand is just another fatal error on the side of the Bills. He lacks the physical tools to play MLB in the C2 effectively and is completely out of place. He will never live up to his full "potential" where he currently is, and it's almost unfair to the guy because he has the ability to be a decent LB in the league.

Either way this is a no-lose situation for the Bills. If Peterson plays inside the the Bills upgrade the MLB and OLB with Posluszny moving outside. If the Bills sign Peterson to play OLB (which is not a possibility in my mind) then you knock out Ellison and Peterson is an instant upgrade. Win-win situation.

One thing to keep in mind going forward is not to underestimate the pull that Stroud might have on this deal coming to fruition. It's no secret that while with the Jaguars both were very close friends. It wouldn't shock me a bit if Stroud campaigns for Peterson with the front office the same way Favre did a couple years back with Moss and the Packers front office.

shelby
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/lb-peterson-visits-with-bills/c6e3ffd6-1fc2-4e6a-9bb6-2073e2b2d70c

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/de-babin-in-for-bills-visit/9370b807-5a37-410a-afcc-06e1a97d34b7

i will say this.....we haven't had much in the way of results, but the FO is looking at a LOT of players.

The Spaz
03-06-2009, 05:08 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/lb-peterson-visits-with-bills/c6e3ffd6-1fc2-4e6a-9bb6-2073e2b2d70c

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/de-babin-in-for-bills-visit/9370b807-5a37-410a-afcc-06e1a97d34b7

i will say this.....we haven't had much in the way of results, but the FO is looking at a LOT of players.

That's all well and good maybe one day we will sign one...lol

Ickybaluky
03-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Babin wasn't considered a 1st rounder until the combine when he came out of Western Michigan. He had an unbelievable combine workout and Houston reached for him.

When he played, they found terrific athleticism didn't translate to the game as much. A college DE, he didn't transition to 3-4 OLB easily. He wasn't a real disciplined player and was mostly a nickel rusher for Houston. He did have some success in that role, with 13 sacks in 3 years.

He was traded to Seattle after his 3rd season for Michael Boulware, but never did anything there. Seattle cut him last year and he was on the street for 2 months before KC picked him up because they had a run of injuries at DE and were desperate for pass rush. He did flash some pass rush skill, with 2 sacks late in the year.

Babin is a tremendous physical specimen, but he is a DE/OLB tweener who doesn't really have a position in the NFL. He has shown ability to pressure the QB some, and he might find a niche as a nickel rusher. He isn't anything more than that, though.

Ickybaluky
03-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I like Peterson a lot, but I'm a little wary of speed LB that get older. Peterson is a good tackler that plays with a lot of intensity. He is a tone-setter and has good leadership skills.

He is still a good run-down player, but is a liability in pass defense because he doesn't cover ground like he used to. At one time was a 3-down player, but probably not any longer.

sdbillsfan2
03-06-2009, 06:43 PM
All this team has is depth. I'd like a few more starting caliber players please!

You are correct oh wise one.... " :band:

kinda like having the glass and a straw and nothing in the glass, and all you can do is suck.

Sorry , but who are these guys ? It's one thing to sign retreads and losers ,but can't we at least take those who came from a winning program once in a while?

yordad
03-06-2009, 06:51 PM

i will say this.....we haven't had much in the way of results, but the FO is looking at a LOT of players."Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell did admit at the NFL Combine that moving middle linebacker Paul Posluszny outside is a possible option."

PH83
03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
"Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell did admit at the NFL Combine that moving middle linebacker Paul Posluszny outside is a possible option."Because he and many other scouts know that it's his natural position and it's where he would be most effective. He's just not an MLB in the C2, he doesn't have the hip movement or flexability for it. There's nothing wrong with that, a lot of guys in the NFL couldn't play MLB in the C2, doesn't mean he's any less of a player.

PH83
03-07-2009, 01:02 AM
I like Peterson a lot, but I'm a little wary of speed LB that get older. Peterson is a good tackler that plays with a lot of intensity. He is a tone-setter and has good leadership skills.

He is still a good run-down player, but is a liability in pass defense because he doesn't cover ground like he used to. At one time was a 3-down player, but probably not any longer.I disagree, at least as it pertains to the Bills. On a good number of other teams your point would be perfectly valid, but in this case he would be an upgrade on third downs.

People tend to forget that although he has been injured often over the past three years, last years early end to the season had nothing to do with an injury. Thus, he's been sitting out of football for months upon months and will enter the season (if signed by someone) 100% fresh. This shouldn't be underestimated or looked past.

Yet another thing to keep in mind is that he won't be forced to play man-on-man which would expose any weaknesses he may have in the passing game. He will be playing a simple zone defense 3/4th's of the time and almost certainly all the time on 3rd downs.