PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bills want to meet with Owens

Coach Sal
03-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Story and my comments linked through front page:

www.SalSports.com (http://www.SalSports.com)

:popcorn:

PH83
03-07-2009, 01:27 AM
This would be one of the worst possible moves the Bills could make. The last thing one of the youngest teams in the league needs is a personality that makes an effort to turn players against players and players against coaches.

Tatonka
03-07-2009, 01:33 AM
i would be shocked. but i can't say i would hate it.

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I have mixed feelings on this if true. One part of me does not want TO here and would hate it if it happened but another part of me likes it. A signing of this magnitude would at least show effort by the Front Office to improve.

I could live with a one year deal.

PH83
03-07-2009, 01:38 AM
i would be shocked. but i can't say i would hate it.As evidenced by his time in Dallas, as long as the team is winning he is a fine person both inside and outside of the locker room. Start losing and he is a completely different person.

Can Buffalo win enough to keep him happy? Consecutive 7-9 seasons isn't going to cut it with this guy and slowly but surely you'll start to see the team come apart at the seams. Also, he is going to command a hefty salary, likely more than he's worth. Thus, I really don't think that he's worth it if you're Buffalo. There's a good reason why damn near half the teams in the league have come out and said they aren't interested, some without ever having even been asked.

PH83
03-07-2009, 01:39 AM
I have mixed feelings on this if true. One part of me does not want TO here and would hate it if it happened but another part of me likes it. A signing of this magnitude would at least show effort by the Front Office to improve.

I could live with a one year deal.
A one year deal isn't possible with Owens.

The only positive thing that would come from this for Buffalo is that it will get the national media talking about Buffalo, something that in my opinion is much needed.

Lexwhat
03-07-2009, 01:40 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!

Okay, so in reality, I have mixed feelings about this. This team hasen't been to the playoffs in forever, and I doubt this season is going to be any different. But Terrell Owens is the one available player who might actually make the playoffs a reality.

No, I don't like Terrell Owens. At all. He will create a huge circus here. But you know what? I actually don't care at this point. I might enjoy a circus more than a heartless effortless team that I've been watching the past few years.

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 01:41 AM

The only positive thing that would come from this for Buffalo is that it will get the national media talking about Buffalo, something that in my opinion is much needed.

Why is a one year deal not possible?

jamze132
03-07-2009, 01:41 AM
I think he would do more damage than anything to this team. We suck ass anyways, but...

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 01:43 AM
I think he would do more damage than anything to this team. We suck ass anyways, but...
I am not a fan by any means but can you imagine Evans, TO, and Pettigrew (if drafted)

PH83
03-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Why is a one year deal not possible? That simply isn't how Owens and Rosenhaus work.

Like Rosenhaus always says, it only takes one team showing interest to create a market, and even though half the teams in the league have openly come out and said that they have no interest I can assure you that there are enough teams interested to garner a multi-year deal for T.O.

If Buffalo were a real contender I might see it, but to put up with the losing and lack of production from the QB that he's going to have to put up with he's going to want to get paid.

At 35 he's looking for another payday, and I assure you that he'll get that payday from someone.

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 01:46 AM
That simply isn't how Owens and Rosenhaus work.

Like Rosenhaus always says, it only takes one team showing interest to create a market, and even though half the teams in the league have openly come out and said that they have no interest I can assure you that there are enough teams interested to garner a multi-year deal for T.O.

At 35 he's looking for another payday, and I assure you that he'll get that payday from someone.
If no one else wants him and Buffalo makes an offer he may accept a 1yr or 2yr deal, who knows, we'll see

PH83
03-07-2009, 01:49 AM
If no one else wants him and Buffalo makes an offer he may accept a 1yr or 2yr deal, who knows, we'll seeI believe Rosenhaus when he says that they have already received calls from multiple teams. I assure you that there is a market for T.O. that extends beyond Buffalo.

Lexwhat
03-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Actually, I've made up my mind...

I want TO in a Bills uniform. ASAP.

SeatownBillsFan21
03-07-2009, 01:51 AM
He wont come here anyway so why not

PH83
03-07-2009, 01:52 AM

I want TO in a Bills uniform. ASAP.He would eat Edwards alive.

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 01:58 AM
I believe Rosenhaus when he says that they have already received calls from multiple teams. I assure you that there is a market for T.O. that extends beyond Buffalo.

All i know is that a lot of teams are making it clear that they have no interest. The Raiders and 49ers were supposedly the front runners but now the raiders are saying no thank-you.

Would you expect his agent to say that no one has called? Of course he will make it seem that his client is in demand.

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 01:59 AM
He wont come here anyway so why not

I agree, no way this happens!

PH83
03-07-2009, 02:06 AM
All i know is that a lot of teams are making it clear that they have no interest. The Raiders and 49ers were supposedly the front runners but now the raiders are saying no thank-you.

Would you expect his agent to say that no one has called? Of course he will make it seem that his client is in demand.
You're suffering from ESPNitus following the idea that the Raiders or 49ers were "front runners," that was pure speculation created by members of the media who were just looking for a topic for a story.

The Raiders will always come up as a possibility every time a troubled player is released or is available.

There are exactly 14 teams that have come out and made it be known that they have no interest in Owens. That means that there are still 18 teams left, of those 18 there are at least five who would do what it takes to land his services.

The best thing about being released as early as Owens was is that he has from now until the end of the Summer to make up his mind about what he wants to do. So unless a contender (which the Bills are not) comes knocking on his door don't expect him to sign with anyone for some time.

No matter what happens, Owens will not settle for a one year contract. That just isn't how he or his agent work.

ZacGriffi~82
03-07-2009, 02:12 AM
I'd love it. also, he's 35 years old? holy **** that makes me feel old.

PH83
03-07-2009, 02:17 AM
I'd love it. also, he's 35 years old? holy **** that makes me feel old.He played like he was 35 last year too at times. One thing that drove me nuts about Owens last year was that he refused to run block off the line.

He had two occasions (Green Bay & Seattle) last year where he ran twenty or more yards down field to lay a key block. But far too often he would literally just put his hands on a DB and just watch the play. His sudden distaste for challenging a defender for a poorly thrown ball also concerns me.

Michael82
03-07-2009, 03:12 AM
That would be a horrible move! :puke:

I can just picture Edwards miss him a couple times and checking down. TO would come over to the sideline and rip him a new *******. He would destroy any kind of confidence that the kid has. Not to mention, how about Jauron making a stupid decision in the game. TO would destroy him! Although it should would be good entertainment. Who wouldn't want to watch Schoenert get torn apart on the sidelines by TO? :rofl:

No. I'm sorry. I can't picture myself ever rooting for that POS! :ill:

SabreEleven
03-07-2009, 03:21 AM
I say sign him because status quo hasn't been working for the last 9 years. Let's shake things up but the Bills don't have the balls to pull this trigger. Plus if we sign Owens, we might actually get one nationally television game.

Historian
03-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Pass.

Luisito23
03-07-2009, 04:24 AM
At this point I really don't care, and I really wouldn't mind hearing more about Buffalo in the news and also having more televised games...Sign him to a 2 year deal, and let our young receivers continue to learn...TO to B-LO!!!!

SquishDaFish
03-07-2009, 04:29 AM
We suck now so why not try. If Edwards cant handle it then he needs to go hes not that great anyway

Historian
03-07-2009, 04:39 AM
I suppose it would be fun watching him spike the ball, then spit on the flying fish logo down in florida...

:hmm:

Buddo
03-07-2009, 04:59 AM
I don't really know what to think tbh.
In an odd way, it might actually be the making of Edwards. Having someone like TO screaming at him to just throw the football downfield, may make him a little more inclined to take the shots.
To me, that has to be the next step in his progression as a QB - knowing (or trusting) his receiver to be (come) open. Atm, his play isn't balanced enough between the short stuff and throwing deeper. Not all of that I would subscribe to being his fault, but he does have to take some of the 'blame'.
One thing I would say, is the last thing you need to do, is to have much of the way of incentives in his contract - that is the sure way to actually mess with any 'chemistry'.
If they do genuinely want to meet with TO, you would have to think that they are going to want to talk to him as a genuine #2, and would expect him to behave accordingly. He could still get a decent enough deal out of it, maybe $15 million over 3 years, with half guaranteed. That way, if he's done after 2, (or Hardy and Johnson are ready) you can cut bait fairly easily.
In terms of work ethic, it would seem that nobody has ever had any problems with TO, so from that pov, he would likely get on ok with Jauron.

Night Train
03-07-2009, 05:29 AM
I find this hard to believe.

He'd only use us as a bargaining chip and would never sign here. He wants a big market club where the camera's shine on him.

He dropped 33 passes last season. I repeat. He dropped 33 passes last season.

If Evans drops one, we read about it here for days in 8 different threads.

don137
03-07-2009, 05:48 AM
The guy was in the same draft class as Eric Moulds. He still has something left in the tank.
I hink he will use the Bills as leverage to drive up his value but like most over the hill guys with something left in the tank he probably will end up with a team that has a chance in the playoffs.
I worry what he could do to Trent Edwards psyche with all his tamptrums. Plus we don't want him stealing Mikey's popcorn in the endzone.
I know the Bills need to do something to get Bills fans excited again but I do not think this is it.

yordad
03-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Can I see a 33 dropped passes link?

This is hard to believe.

He really would eat Edwards.

Is gr8slayer back?

clumping platelets
03-07-2009, 05:59 AM
:scratch:

Jan Reimers
03-07-2009, 06:00 AM
With all of the holes we have to fill to become a solid, competitive team, why would we waste even an iota of time, energy or money on an aging malcontent who has destroyed the chemistry of every team he has played for?

mysticsoto
03-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I can't see this happening. NFLN reported that Arizona was interested in him last night. If so, why would he choose Buffalo over Arizona? Money would be the only difference maker and there's no way Buffalo is going to unload that kind of cash when they need it to redo Peters' contract. Buffalo is doing what they need to do and inquiring. But it is very unlikely this will move forward...

Dujek
03-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Look at it this way. At the moment the Bills are worse than they were last year in relation to almost every team in the NFL, none of us trust Jauron to make the right decision at any time, and the schedule for next year would be a killer for an average team, never mind a ****ty one.

If TO comes in one of two things happen, either he makes us much better or he causes so much damage to the dressing room that Ralph has no option but to fire Jauron half-way through next season. As we all seem to think the Bills currently won't win 5 games next season, either of these situations would be a long-term improvement over where we are now.

X-Era
03-07-2009, 06:43 AM
We want pay Rosen-douche or TO what they will want, so its a done deal that there is no deal.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2009, 06:57 AM
I can't see this happening. NFLN reported that Arizona was interested in him last night. If so, why would he choose Buffalo over Arizona? Money would be the only difference maker and there's no way Buffalo is going to unload that kind of cash when they need it to redo Peters' contract. Buffalo is doing what they need to do and inquiring. But it is very unlikely this will move forward...

That isn't what was said. They were saying how Kurt Warner said he would play with TO. Kurt has met him and likes him, and would have no problem playing with him.

However, the Cards already have 3 1000-yard receivers and have needs elsewhere, particularly on defense. I don't see him as a great fit there.

As for Buffalo, I think they should go for it. Personally, I think too much is made of TO as a "lockerroom cancer". It is too convenient to blame everything on him.

TO may be a nut. He may want the ball. He may rub some people the wrong way and create drama. Like a lot of elite WR, he is a headcase. However, people make it sound like all his teammates hated him. That wasn't true. He had many friends on the Cowboys, like Marion Barber, Sam Hurd, Greg Ellis, etc. He isn't the pariah he is made out to be. It isn't like the guy is out getting arrested or anything.

That said, I wouldn't sign the guy long-term. He can become bigger than the team, and his contract would have to allow the team some leverage. Jerry Jones pandered to him, that can't happen. Yeah, he complains loudly to anyone who will listen that when he doesn't get the ball, but so don't a lot of WR. He should get the ball.

However, nobody can say TO can't play. It is true he will drop his share of passes (I don't think 33, but he has about a drop a game). However, teams still will roll coverage his way, so he opens up the field. The guy plays with intensity. He plays hard and works hard. He is a good blocker as well, which isn't what a selfish player does.

Look... the guy is a diva. However, he can still play. Would he shake things up in Buffalo? Undoubtedly. However, is that a bad thing? I know he would make them a much better team, because he would provide exactly the kind of offensive upgrade they have needed for years.

I'd take him on the Pats. In a heartbeat. It would have to be a 1-Yr deal, and Brady and Moss would have to sign off on it (I'm not sure he and Moss get along), but I'd take him.

SquishDaFish
03-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Great posting NE

jaycorp51
03-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I would hate the idea of Owens on this team. Does he have talent...yes he does, but if you want Edwards to develop at all, then you don't sign this guy.

X-Era
03-07-2009, 07:12 AM
That isn't what was said. They were saying how Kurt Warner said he would play with TO. Kurt has met him and likes him, and would have no problem playing with him.

However, the Cards already have 3 1000-yard receivers and have needs elsewhere, particularly on defense. I don't see him as a great fit there.

As for Buffalo, I think they should go for it. Personally, I think too much is made of TO as a "lockerroom cancer". It is too convenient to blame everything on him.

TO may be a nut. He may want the ball. He may rub some people the wrong way and create drama. Like a lot of elite WR, he is a headcase. However, people make it sound like all his teammates hated him. That wasn't true. He had many friends on the Cowboys, like Marion Barber, Sam Hurd, Greg Ellis, etc. He isn't the pariah he is made out to be. It isn't like the guy is out getting arrested or anything.

That said, I wouldn't sign the guy long-term. He can become bigger than the team, and his contract would have to allow the team some leverage. Jerry Jones pandered to him, that can't happen. Yeah, he complains loudly to anyone who will listen that when he doesn't get the ball, but so don't a lot of WR. He should get the ball.

However, nobody can say TO can't play. It is true he will drop his share of passes (I don't think 33, but he has about a drop a game). However, teams still will roll coverage his way, so he opens up the field. The guy plays with intensity. He plays hard and works hard. He is a good blocker as well, which isn't what a selfish player does.

Look... the guy is a diva. However, he can still play. Would he shake things up in Buffalo? Undoubtedly. However, is that a bad thing? I know he would make them a much better team, because he would provide exactly the kind of offensive upgrade they have needed for years.

I'd take him on the Pats. In a heartbeat. It would have to be a 1-Yr deal, and Brady and Moss would have to sign off on it (I'm not sure he and Moss get along), but I'd take him.

I would rather sign Randy Moss or than TO.

Holt isnt as good as TO, but he also isnt the head case... just go that route.

shelby
03-07-2009, 07:14 AM
i just don't see this happening. Why would TO want to play for Buffalo?

SquishDaFish
03-07-2009, 07:21 AM
To feed his EGO :idunno: Imagine if Buffalo went to SB with him how much the press would be on his jock

X-Era
03-07-2009, 07:29 AM
i just don't see this happening. Why would TO want to play for Buffalo?

He may not have any choices... the teams that are left may all be in about the same boat as far as record goes. Maybe the better teams in the league arent willing to take the risk.

gggbills
03-07-2009, 07:36 AM

I want TO in a Bills uniform. ASAP.

I concur, not something I would often want, considering who we are talking about but these are tough times and I think we need to take a chance here.

From a business perspective this would be a very good move. Let's face it, as of right now the club has very little to offer the fan base. They have nothing to put out there and say "Hey look at what we have done, get excited, buy tickets, buy jerseys and come out and see this product on the field." However, signing T.O. would change all of that, it would allow Ralph to sale more tickets. I would buy a T.O. jersey in a heartbeat.

From a football perspective I also think it is a good move. WE suck on offense, plain and simple. We need a good WR on the other side of Evans and we have needed this for years. Two good wideouts open up the running game, opens up Reed and any TE over the middle. No more rolling zones to Evans side and 8 in the box defenses. And altough T.O. may have lost a step, he is still WAY better than any WRs we have attempted to sign this year by far.

And lastly the locker room. Will he be a problem...perhaps, but what do we lose if he does. At this point in time we have a locker room full of unemotional players who don't seem to get upset if we lose. I think T.O. would change that in a hurry. I don't really care if a 7-9 loser locker room gets some drama, hell it might be good for them. I seem to remember the bickering Bills doing very well.

Get this deal done and we have a reason to be excited about the up coming season.

T-Long
03-07-2009, 07:37 AM
If T.O. was on the Bills...I seriously wouldn't know what to do!!!!

yordad
03-07-2009, 07:40 AM
That would be a horrible move! :puke:

I can just picture Edwards miss him a couple times and checking down. TO would come over to the sideline and rip him a new *******. He would destroy any kind of confidence that the kid has. Not to mention, how about Jauron making a stupid decision in the game. TO would destroy him! Although it should would be good entertainment. Who wouldn't want to watch Schoenert get torn apart on the sidelines by TO? :rofl:

No. I'm sorry. I can't picture myself ever rooting for that POS! :ill:Well, if Edwards is checking down with TO wide open deep, or Jauron makes another bone head play, I'm all for TO ripping them a new one. I think it is what is needed.

X-Era
03-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Well, if Edwards is checking down with TO wide open deep, or Jauron makes another bone head play, I'm all for TO ripping them a new one. I think it is what is needed.

So we want TO to be our #2 WR and head coach?

He cant even run himself correctly, now he can run a team?

Buddo
03-07-2009, 07:41 AM
As undeniably talented as Owens is, I think if you want to do something serious about the #2 WR spot, you spend the money and a very low pick, on Holt.
TBH, I'm really not sure why they haven't just done that, as I expect that if (when) he's released, there will probably be something of a bidding war going on. Waiting until he gets cut, is going to mean he will not be coming here.
My concerns regarding TO for a couple of years, rest more on how many balls he drops, than anything else tbh. I'm not sure we will pass enough for him to be able to do that.
Even having said that, he would undeniably be an upgrade, and there is no way that Evans would get the same amount of coverage if TO was in the team.

ddaryl
03-07-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm all for it..

the Bills can get no worse IMO, and I don't see many other options that help us get better and won't cost us draft picks. So better off bringing in a guy who will definitely help us...

yordad
03-07-2009, 07:42 AM
With all of the holes we have to fill to become a solid, competitive team, why would we waste even an iota of time, energy or money on an aging malcontent who has destroyed the chemistry of every team he has played for?If it is broken, can you break it? His problem is he wants to win. You guys don't want him becasue your afraid we wont win, and he will get mad. That sounds like Jauron talking. Play not to lose, but don't play to win.

TO to B-Lo

Jan Reimers
03-07-2009, 07:42 AM
I think Al Davis and TO will be perfect together.

T-Long
03-07-2009, 07:43 AM
No offense at all to Sal...but I'll believe the interest when a few more sources start hearing the same things

Mr. Miyagi
03-07-2009, 07:47 AM
No way. I don't want him at all.

chernobylwraiths
03-07-2009, 07:51 AM
On a positive note, TO could rip this team apart so bad that NOBODY would keep their jobs. Sure we would start over from scratch but with a new coach, new GM, new player personnel guy...

yordad
03-07-2009, 07:52 AM
So we want TO to be our #2 WR and head coach?

He cant even run himself correctly, now he can run a team?If Jauron can't take the heat, he can get outta the kitchen. Head coaches shouldn't be coddled.

I've thrown my styrofoam brick at the TV several times.

ddaryl
03-07-2009, 07:58 AM
this franchise has nothing left to lose...

it needs to be shooken up

justasportsfan
03-07-2009, 08:02 AM
come to think of it, it's the only way people will know that buffalo still has a team. Right now, no one knows the bills exists.

patmoran2006
03-07-2009, 08:07 AM
LOL.

First, let me get my bearings because Im absolutely still drunk from last night.. Waking up on 2 hours sleep after drinking til 6 will do that to ya.

Normally, I'd laugh at the poster... I didnt look at the link, again in part cause IM still half drunk.. However, Its from Sal so I will assume to be true.

If there is any other team interested in him, we're not getting him wheter we meet with him or notWe can't even compete for the Kevin Jones' or Fred Taylor's of the league.. We're not getting TO.

Wow,I gotta recover a bit, then I cant wait to read this.

patmoran2006
03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
On a positive note, TO could rip this team apart so bad that NOBODY would keep their jobs. Sure we would start over from scratch but with a new coach, new GM, new player personnel guy...
promise? If so, then sign him.

yordad
03-07-2009, 08:20 AM
LOL.

First, let me get my bearings because Im absolutely still drunk from last night.. Waking up on 2 hours sleep after drinking til 6 will do that to ya.

Normally, I'd laugh at the poster... I didnt look at the link, again in part cause IM still half drunk.. However, Its from Sal so I will assume to be true.

If there is any other team interested in him, we're not getting him wheter we meet with him or notWe can't even compete for the Kevin Jones' or Fred Taylor's of the league.. We're not getting TO.

Wow,I gotta recover a bit, then I cant wait to read this.Yeah, I got a third of the way throught the link til I realized it was T.O. and not Owen Daniels.

The Spaz
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Ummm no...

venis2k1
03-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Great. We can make him an offer that he can take to a real team...Like the bungles. :(

TedMock
03-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Great. We can make him an offer that he can take to a real team...Like the bungles. :(

That's it! Our front office is filled with evil genius. They call every free agent in order to generate interest from other teams. When the other teams signs these players we are assured another high-caliber option in the draft because the original team no longer needs that particular player! Brilliant!

Raptor
03-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Sign me up!!!

What are we really risking, Not making the playoffs? We've done that for 9 years

Coach Sal
03-07-2009, 09:06 AM
No offense at all to Sal...but I'll believe the interest when a few more sources start hearing the same things

No offense taken. But understand:

I broke Lee Evans' contract extension before ahyone in the local or national media.

I broke the Trent Edwards' arm issue at the end of the season before anyone in the local or national media.

This is from the same source.

I, of course, understand the skepticism. But there's a reason why I have posted ZERO info about what the Bills may or may not do during the free agency period. And that' because I only go with stuff I know is right from sources I trust. Believe me, I'd love to break stories on signings, etc. But if I don't have anything reliable, I don't put my name on it and put it out there.

I did on this one, so draw your own conclusions.

Coach Sal
03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
It's important to remember I have not stated, nor has anything been relayed to me, regrding the Owens side of this.

I have no clue at all right now if Owens/Rosenhaus would even pick up the phone, much less come to Buffalo for an actual meeting.

This info simply states what was told to me....that at the BILLS are TRYING to arrange a meeting sometime soon.

justasportsfan
03-07-2009, 09:12 AM
TO plays big. Thats what they were hoping for in Hardy.

yordad
03-07-2009, 09:22 AM
It's important to remember I have not stated, nor has anything been relayed to me, regrding the Owens side of this.

I have no clue at all right now if Owens/Rosenhaus would even pick up the phone, much less come to Buffalo for an actual meeting.

This info simply states what was told to me....that at the BILLS are TRYING to arrange a meeting sometime soon.Is that the same source that had me losing a grand on the Falcons? :lol:

Just kidding

tampabay25690
03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Everyone on this site can ***** all you want.....BUT If TO was in a BILLS uni on SUNDAY'S everyone of us would have a woody on SUNDAYS knowing he is with Buffalo....Defenses would have to figure out how you double team TO and LEE EVANS...........Running game, playaction, deep ball....ENOUGH SAID.

Coach Sal
03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Is that the same source that had me losing a grand on the Falcons? :lol:

Just kidding

I deserve that.

:mad:

The Spaz
03-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Everyone on this site can ***** all you want.....BUT If TO was in a BILLS uni on SUNDAY'S everyone of us would have a woody on SUNDAYS knowing he is with Buffalo....Defenses would have to figure out how you double team TO and LEE EVANS...........Running game, playaction, deep ball....ENOUGH SAID.

No I wouldn't and that's the truth. I hate TO as much I do the Patriots and Brady. How many teams has TO been on? He couldn't even last in Dallas with another big ego in Jerry Jones. **** TO end of story.

justasportsfan
03-07-2009, 09:30 AM

We also know that TO is a bomb waiting to explode and might not even make it to sundays. He may explode at camp.

Gerry Jones takes chances with players who have issues gave up on TO. you have to wonder.

Raptor
03-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Story is up on PFT

PH83
03-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Can I see a 33 dropped passes link?

This is hard to believe.

He really would eat Edwards.
T.O. did not drop 33 passes last season, but he has been amongst the worst in the league every year in that category:

2008 (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2008&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232)
1 Braylon Edwards Cle 16
2 Dwayne Bowe KC 13
3 Brandon Marshall Den 12
4 Terrell Owens (http://www.cowboys-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98316#)Dal 10
5t Calvin Johnson Det 9
5t Roddy White Atl 9

2007 (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2007&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232)
1t Dallas Clark Ind 12
1t Braylon Edwards Cle 12
3t Reggie Bush NO 10
3t Devery Henderson NO 10
3t Santana Moss Was 10
3t Terrell Owens Dal 10

2006 (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2006&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232)
1 Terrell Owens Dal 17
2t Darrell Jackson Sea 11
2t Andre Johnson Hou 11
2t Troy Williamson Min 11
5 Steve Smith (http://www.cowboys-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98316#) Car 10

Here's something else to consider:
He was targeted 140 times in 2008, of those 140 targets he caught 69 of them, meaning he didn't catch 71 of them. He basically only brought in 49.2% of his passes last season, and they weren't all because of poor throws. He has this sudden lack of desire to go up and fight for a ball. I'm sure many of you watched the Steelers game, there are three excellent examples of this in that game.

yordad
03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
T.O. did not drop 33 passes last season, but he has been amongst the worst in the league every year in that category:

2008 (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2008&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232)
1 Braylon Edwards Cle 16
2 Dwayne Bowe KC 13
3 Brandon Marshall Den 12
4 Terrell Owens (http://www.cowboys-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98316#)Dal 10
5t Calvin Johnson Det 9
5t Roddy White Atl 9

2007 (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2007&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232)
1t Dallas Clark Ind 12
1t Braylon Edwards Cle 12
3t Reggie Bush NO 10
3t Devery Henderson NO 10
3t Santana Moss Was 10
3t Terrell Owens Dal 10

2006 (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2006&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232)
1 Terrell Owens Dal 17
2t Darrell Jackson Sea 11
2t Andre Johnson Hou 11
2t Troy Williamson Min 11
5 Steve Smith (http://www.cowboys-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98316#) Car 10

Here's something else to consider:
He was targeted 140 times in 2008, of those 140 targets he caught 69 of them, meaning he didn't catch 71 of them. He basically only brought in 49.2% of his passes last season, and they weren't all because of poor throws. He has this sudden lack of desire to go up and fight for a ball. I'm sure many of you watched the Steelers game, there are three excellent examples of this in that game.OK, Gr8. He is targeted alot. Therefor his drops will be high. % is what matters. drops/catch.

You are saying 61 of the passes weren't catchable, yet you included them in your % as a reflection of TO.

justasportsfan
03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
OK, Gr8. He is targeted alot. Therefor his drops will be high. % is what matters. drops/catch.

You are saying 61 of the passes weren't catchable, yet you included them in your % as a reflection of TO.
A lot of Fitz's catches weren't catchable. In his younger years, those passes would've been catchable by TO's standard.

I won't disagree that TO would make this team better, temporarily. I doubt we'll get the most out of what we'll pay him.

cpearl
03-07-2009, 10:08 AM
This is the perfect bull**** story because even if its not true, there is no way to prove it is false.

Buffalo wants to meet with TO. Well guess what? I want to meet with Jessica Alba for a blow job, but I'm pretty sure she won't take my call either.

PH83
03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
OK, Gr8. He is targeted alot. Therefor his drops will be high. % is what matters. drops/catch.

He basically only brought in 49.2% of his passes last season, and they weren't all because of poor throws.

I'm not sure what you're missing here. He was targeted a lot, he didn't catch the majority of them and it WAS NOT all because of poorly thrown balls.

yordad
03-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure what you're missing here. He was targeted a lot, he didn't catch the majority of them and it WAS NOT all because of poorly thrown balls.I think you capitalized the wrong word; "all" is the key word. They weren't "all" bad throwns. Only 61 of them, so nearly HALF.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I think you capitalized the wrong word; "all" is the key word. They weren't "all" bad throwns. Only 61 of them, so nearly HALF.

He did play 3 games with Brad Johnson. I'm willing to bet those were a few of the throws.

PH83
03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I think you capitalized the wrong word; "all" is the key word. They weren't "all" bad throwns. Only 61 of them, so nearly HALF.Where are you getting the number 61? I don't recall providing a statistic for how many passes thrown his way were poorly thrown. I think you are misinterpreting what I said in the original post.

yordad
03-07-2009, 10:22 AM
He did play 3 games with Brad Johnson. I'm willing to bet those were a few of the throws.Your probably right, but that isn't my point. I am saying that if your going to say "TO only caught 49 % of the passes thorn his way", then it should be factored in that 44% of them were bad throws.

Gr8slayer made it sound like TO was entirely at fault.

IMO, if you want something accurate and meaningful, you go with drops/catch. That way you aren't holding bad passes against a receiver.

PH83
03-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Your probably right, but that isn't my point. I am saying that if your going to say "TO only caught 49 % of the passes thorn his way", then it should be factored in that 44% of them were bad throws.

Gr8slayer made it sound like TO was entirely at fault.

IMO, if you want something accurate and meaningful, you go with drops/catch. That way you aren't holding bad passes against a receiver.Again, where are you getting this 44% number?

Coach Sal
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
PFT.com now says they have a source, as well, corraborating this news:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ls-chasing-to/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/07/bills-chasing-to/)

yordad
03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Where are you getting the number 61? I don't recall providing a statistic for how many passes thrown his way were poorly thrown. I think you are misinterpreting what I said in the original post.I think you are misunderstanding your original post. He was targeted 140 times (per your post). He caught 69 (per your post). He dropped 10 (per your post).

140-69-10= 61. It means the other 61 times he was targeted the ball wasn't dropped, or caught. Now, you tell me your interpretation please. What were the other 61? I would think they were uncatchable, by definition. Right?

Again, where are you getting this 44% number?61/140= .44= 44%

jimbohastle51
03-07-2009, 10:36 AM
think he'll just try to use us as leverage to sign with someone else

BillsFanCupp38
03-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I am not buying it... Buffalo never makes a run for big players especially ones with character issues. Although I did recently have a dream that we traded for Jay Cutler and TO... Very interesting...

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
This would be one of the worst possible moves the Bills could make. The last thing one of the youngest teams in the league needs is a personality that makes an effort to turn players against players and players against coaches.
Enough with this crap. The guy is one of the best WRs in the league. Get him in here.

trapezeus
03-07-2009, 11:52 AM
if only the bills could win a lombardi trophy for most number of free agent visits without a contract signed.

baalworship
03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
T.O. would at least make the Bills entertaining...I'm sold.

Michael82
03-07-2009, 11:58 AM
T.O. would at least make the Bills entertaining...I'm sold.
yeah and he would sell a lot of jerseys and tickets. Hmmmm.....

plus if it helps the coaching staff implode quicker, it would make it easier for Ralph to fire Dick Jauron and everyone else.....

BAM
03-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Can't say I'd be disappointed if we signed him. We need all the help we can get right now.

TigerJ
03-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, it would make the Bills very interesting. It would sell tickets. Obviously, Owens has talent, though his production has been tailing off a little each year. You know he's eventually going to be bad for chemistry. If you sign him, you have to sign him to a deal that isn't going to saddle you with big dead cap bucks when (not "if") you have to cut him because his ego and selfhishnes starts to poison your team chemistry.

DrGraves
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Someone said it in another thread but I'll say it again... what is the worst thing that happens? We miss the playoffs again? At the very least bringing in T.O. would give all of us some false hope and something to look forward to next season. If our FA period ends as is and then we mess up the draft again, can anyone honestly say they are looking forward to watching the Bills go 3-13?

!Papacrunk!
03-07-2009, 01:19 PM
LMAO. If I wasn't so lazy I'd find all of the previous TO posts before this latest news. I apologize in advance, but this is just too funny to read some of these posts involving the new TO fans.

DrGraves
03-07-2009, 01:28 PM
LMAO. If I wasn't so lazy I'd find all of the previous TO posts before this latest news. I apologize in advance, but this is just too funny to read some of these posts involving the new TO fans.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say T.O. is a douche. BUT that just goes to show you how bad of shape this franchise is in and how much faith in the Bills has left its fan base.

yordad
03-07-2009, 01:28 PM
LMAO. If I wasn't so lazy I'd find all of the previous TO posts before this latest news. I apologize in advance, but this is just too funny to read some of these posts involving the new TO fans.Not that you will find a contradictory post of mine, but if he becomes a Bill, I become a fan.

It isn't complicate. I don't want him raising my kids. I want him catching TDs for the Bills.

:up:

bigbub2352
03-07-2009, 01:31 PM
i hate the guy personally, but **** it why not

Michael82
03-07-2009, 01:40 PM
i hate the guy personally, but **** it why not
:hi5: I couldn't agree with you more. I can't stand the POS, but what do we have to lose? Maybe it would actually give us some hope for the season....

methos4ever
03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
TO is, on the field a guy who will give 110%. Sometimes off the field, or in the huddle or in the locker room is where he runs into problems. But for him, the thing starts and ends with his personality and his need to be needed. In a place like B-Lo, he (if winning) would be considered the biggest fish in a small pond.

And TO always brings his A-Game when people count him out/don't pay what he considers valid attention to him. The Jerry Rice memorial game where he set the NFL record for receptions. The Superbowl vs The Pats. And tons more games of that ilk. If he came to Buffalo, making the Bills relevant fits his ego more than other teams would.

Michael82
03-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I just saw a graphic that actually made me laugh, because it's exactly what I was thinking would happen if TO signed with us....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/tziller/TO-1.jpg

zone
03-07-2009, 02:05 PM
TO coming here with a chip on his shoulder will bring us 15 more touchdowns next year.

Owen DeBoard
03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
If you want to talk about the drops that TO has had then lets be fair and talk about how many TDs hes had in the past three years. I would say that the TDs outweigh the drops.

Oaf
03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
It's not going to happen because TO doesn't want US.

That said, he's EXACTLY the type of WR we need here. A tough, huge, physical possession WR. What Hardy was picked to be.

DrGraves
03-07-2009, 02:48 PM
He may not want us but maybe he'll want our 11 million a year.

Don't Panic
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
It isn't numbers that are important with TO... I'm not sure that's an argument that should be made. Its funny, because for the last few years we've taken the "only good character" player approach. And with a few exceptions, we've had guys that are good role models, but we end up with 7-9 records. On the other side is your TOs... guys who are undoubtedly talented, but who kill chemistry. I don't think either extreme is a good one. You need guys who aren't choir boys, but you don't want them to be pains in the collective ass. I think TO takes a team of relatively good guys and poisons it. Maybe I'm wrong... being a Piston fan I hated bringing on Rasheed Wallace a few years back, but we won a title. Now we've brought on Iverson to go with a bunch of nice guys (and Sheed) and we're having one of our worst seasons in years. Maybe TO with the Bills will be like Sheed with the Pistons. Then again, maybe it'll be like Sheed and Iverson together.

YardRat
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
From the 'Take it for what it's worth' department....

A close friend of a close friend who has contacts inside of OBD in whatever department puts contract #'s together says they are working 'feverishly' on an offer.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
If you want to talk about the drops that TO has had then lets be fair and talk about how many TDs hes had in the past three years. I would say that the TDs outweigh the drops.

That is the thing.

In the last 2 seasons, Terrell Owens has caught 25 TD passes.

In that same period of time, the Bills have thrown 26 TD passes. Of those, 24 came from the QBs, as Marshawn Lynch and Brian Moorman each threw one.

Seriously, don't you want to see some actual points scored? The guy may be a first-class jerk, but he scores TDs.

Mudflap1
03-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I've thought about it long and hard, and this is the conclusion I've come to:

I really don't care if the Bills sign an axe murderer at this point, if the guy is a good player (and T.O. is unquestionably a great player), gets some blood flowing in the locker room, gets the organization to show a pulse for the first time in years, and gets people talking about Bills football again, I'm all for it.

Sign T.O. At least for a year or two.

Jon

eddiehaskill
03-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Plain and simple, our team is broring! Not so much the players but more so the coaches. Playing ti boring hasn't gotten us very far. Bring him him. Team killer. Locker room terror. Who Cares!!!!? That's a lot better than the San Fran game i was at last year. YUCK

ddaryl
03-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I really don't care if the Bills sign an axe murderer at this point, if the guy is a good player (and T.O. is unquestionably a great player), gets some blood flowing in the locker room, gets the organization to show a pulse for the first time in years, and gets people talking about Bills football again, I'm all for it.

Sign T.O. At least for a year or two.

Jon

Bw careful with that axe T.O.

MDFINFAN
03-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Man, such a talented guy is causing ppl to have mixed feelings on just about every message board in the league.. some want him for his talent and will just digest his personality, and others want no part of him because they think he's a cancer, despite his talent..but his talent speaks for itself...such a waste in that personality.. the cowboys ate 9 million dollars of cap to cut him.. that defintely concerns me..even with the talent..think about that..

Lexwhat
03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
He cant even run himself correctly, now he can run a team?

Are you talking about Ralph Wilson or Russ Brandon???????

Oh, you were talking about T.O.....

Buddo
03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Just like to say congrats to Coach Sal for his scoop! Well played that man!

BillsRGreat
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
In a million years I wouldn't want to see TO signed by the Bills, but....

THEY MUST SIGN HIM!

The publicity he could bring to the team is probably the biggest need of all for the Bills. Even more than securing a sound roster, the Bills need to be Relevant again. Unfortunately T.O. can do this for us.....

Thoughts

jimbohastle51
03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
i really dont want him here, though i understand he will help evans and tent develope and he will get over 10 TDs and 1000 yards, it just will happen he never finishes under these numbers. look between the lines on thise one..... no one is interested except us (i dont buy the 49ers thing because singleterry wont want anyone the players might listen to but him in the locker room) and buffalo wanted to meet with him and he is there already?? obviously we are his ONLY option. i wouldnt be surprised if WE are the ones that want 2 years and he is the one that only wants 1 year. he wants to use us to show he can keep his mouth shut and still play, then the next season sign a 10 million a year 3 year deal with a proven winner. i honestly think this will happen today, and only because A we have money and B we are his only option NEXT SEASON. after that i think he is out of buffalo. 1 year and out.

Michael82
03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
i really dont want him here, though i understand he will help evans and tent develope and he will get over 10 TDs and 1000 yards, it just will happen he never finishes under these numbers. look between the lines on thise one..... no one is interested except us (i dont buy the 49ers thing because singleterry wont want anyone the players might listen to but him in the locker room) and buffalo wanted to meet with him and he is there already?? obviously we are his ONLY option. i wouldnt be surprised if WE are the ones that want 2 years and he is the one that only wants 1 year. he wants to use us to show he can keep his mouth shut and still play, then the next season sign a 10 million a year 3 year deal with a proven winner. i honestly think this will happen today, and only because A we have money and B we are his only option NEXT SEASON. after that i think he is out of buffalo. 1 year and out.
if he keeps his mouth shut and is a good boy, what's wrong with 1-year and gone?

Mahdi
03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Unless we drop the franchise tag on him.... that would be a clever move. If Antonio Bryant can be tagged so can TO. Sign him for 1 year and if he works out tag him and pay him 9 mil for another season.

Mudflap1
03-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Unless we drop the franchise tag on him.... that would be a clever move. If Antonio Bryant can be tagged so can TO. Sign him for 1 year and if he works out tag him and pay him 9 mil for another season.

That's actually a great strategy if the Bills could pull it off.

SquishDaFish
03-07-2009, 04:40 PM
ESPN now reporting it

elltrain22
03-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm gettin drunk 2nite!!!!! This is the most excited I have been about the Bills in a long time!!!!!!!!!!

YardRat
03-07-2009, 05:03 PM
From the 'Take it for what it's worth' department....

A close friend of a close friend who has contacts inside of OBD in whatever department puts contract #'s together says they are working 'feverishly' on an offer.

Interesting...I guess he turned out to be a reliable source.

Dr. Lecter
03-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Interesting...I guess he turned out to be a reliable source.

I knew that you were not completely worthless!

sdbillsfan2
03-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Just like to say congrats to Coach Sal for his scoop! Well played that man!
\

Me too Sal , Congrats and nice work ...Again ! :bow:

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 06:28 PM

ne year deal not possible huh.

topher180
03-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm gettin drunk 2nite!!!!! This is the most excited I have been about the Bills in a long time!!!!!!!!!!

Shocker. Just a signing is your superbowl and in true Bills fans fashion you will get belligerently drunk.

chernobylwraiths
03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Story and my comments linked through front page:

www.SalSports.com (http://www.SalSports.com)

:popcorn:

You are so full of crap!

patmoran2006
03-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Congats Sal, must be feeling like a king right now!

YardRat
03-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I knew that you were not completely worthless!

I have my moments.

jimbohastle51
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM

or transition tag him and at least get a pick for him :)

T-Long
03-07-2009, 10:03 PM
congrats Sal!!! I was skeptic, but you pulled through! I won't doubt ever again!

Luisito23
03-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Mad props Coach!

hammerbillsfan
03-08-2009, 12:45 AM
:clap: Coach Sal!

Michael82
03-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Well done, Coach Sal! :bf1:

Hopefully all this media attention to you helps you get that sports show on the radio like you have been waiting for....WGR would be idiots not to hire you.

TedMock
03-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Atta boy, Coach.

shelby
03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
:hail:Coach....well done, thanks!