PDA

View Full Version : Time to get the LG in Order ASAP

ghz in pittsburgh
03-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Talent wise WR corp is a lot better today then any time we had since the Moulds and price days. The O-Line, we know Peters can play better, Butler should be better with one more year experience. The new center theoretically should be better than anyone we had last year. You hope our RT plays to the same level again. I also have confidence in our RBs' pass protection level - both Lynch and Jackson improved a great deal in this area last year. That leaves the LG a big hole right now.

I have a feeling that Chambers may be better than Dockery in pass protection, but we need someone to fill the LG hole in overall capacity to be at least Dockery's level last year.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I agree that LG now has to become the Bills' top priority. Whether by trade or by signing a FA, the Bills must solidify the offensive line to take advantage of the TO signing.

Even if TO has lost a step and isn't the player that he has been in the past, he is a player that will command respect from the opposing defense and open things up for the offense. Fine, who should take a step up in his second season in the league, and even a rookie TE, like Pettigrew or Nelson, can take advantage of this, not just Evans and the Bills' slot receivers.

But, Edwards can't make the throws if he is on his butt or getting pressure in his face every time he drops back to pass. Butler can play better than he did last season, which was only his second as a starter, with better support from the other interior linemen. Hangartner should be an improvement over Fowler and Preston, who were horrid. But, the Bills now MUST bring in a LG who can solidify the center of the line. A trade for Waters would definitely do that. A healthy Kendall Simmons would, too. But, so would Goff or Pete Kendall.

It really doesn't matter which of these OGs the Bills sign, but they need to now make a move to sign one of them.

While it would be nice to add some better pieces to the defense, the defense did pretty well in terms of points allowed per game last season and should be stronger with the return of Schobel and DiGiorgio, further development by C.Ellis and Poz, and the addition of a rookie pass rusher. But, with the addition of TO, the Bills' offense has the potential to be able to win some games when the defense doesn't play "lights-out", if--and it is a big IF at this moment--the offensive line is solid and gives Edwards and the running game a chance to take advantage of what TO can do to open things up for the Bills' other skill players.

IMHO the Bills' next significant move MUST be at LG.

X-Era
03-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Talent wise WR corp is a lot better today then any time we had since the Moulds and price days. The O-Line, we know Peters can play better, Butler should be better with one more year experience. The new center theoretically should be better than anyone we had last year. You hope our RT plays to the same level again. I also have confidence in our RBs' pass protection level - both Lynch and Jackson improved a great deal in this area last year. That leaves the LG a big hole right now.

I have a feeling that Chambers may be better than Dockery in pass protection, but we need someone to fill the LG hole in overall capacity to be at least Dockery's level last year.

I would love the Waters trade, but I think signing Simmons actually makes us better than Dockery (if healthy). I think CB alluded that it wont be a quick signing with Simmons, it may not be until they have OTA's and can try him out.

I also would like Bentley if hes healthy.

The only move I dont want is to count on Chambers and then draft a guy in the mid or late rounds. I just think that makes us worse next year at least.

X-Era
03-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Edwards can't make the throws if he is on his butt or getting pressure in his face every time he drops back to pass.

This is my biggest worry and one of the first things I thought about. Can Trent get the time to pass to TO?

Patti120
03-07-2009, 07:56 PM
LG is definitely the priority. Lets hope that Hangartner (spelling?) is solid at center. If we don't pull in a FA or make a trade I wonder if maybe out 1st pick changes to an o lineman possibly a tackle who could play guard for a few years until Peters or Walker's contracts are up?

LifetimeBillsFan
03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
LG is definitely the priority. Lets hope that Hangartner (spelling?) is solid at center. If we don't pull in a FA or make a trade I wonder if maybe out 1st pick changes to an o lineman possibly a tackle who could play guard for a few years until Peters or Walker's contracts are up?

According to T.Modrak, they really like the progress that D.Bell made and think very highly of him. Also, there is a very good chance that the top 5 OTs in the draft could go in the top 10 picks. So, I don't think that the Bills will use their first pick on an OT.

But, this draft class is VERY deep at the center position, with several of the centers being guys who could also play OG.

Mack, the center from Cal who a lot of scouts think could be a starter--and even an All-Pro--for years, was one of the first players that the Bills interviewed at The Combine, so we know that they are very interested in him. However, centers aren't generally seen as being worth a pick as high as the 11th pick in the draft, even though most project that Mack won't make it out of the bottom of the first round.

The Bills have also expressed interest in Ungar, from Oregon, who can also play OG. The question is whether Ungar will fall to them in the second round or go in the top 10 picks in that round before the Bills pick. A lot of folks here would go crazy if the Bills were able to take Ungar in the second round.

But, there are four other top flight centers, including the last two first team All-Americans--Luigs and Shipley--who will be available and at least two of them should still be on the board when the Bills pick in Round 3. Wood, from Louisville, and Caldwell, from Alabama, both have been projected as possible OGs in the NFL.

Unless the Bills trade down out of the 11th pick and pick up extra picks in Round 1 or 2, I don't see them being able to get Mack. But, I would be shocked if they do not end up drafting one of the other five centers at some point in Round 2 or Round 3.

Chambers and Bell would give them good depth at OT, with Chambers able to back up at one OG position. And, one of the centers would give them starting potential quality depth at center and the other guard position.

But, they have to go for a proven guy to start at LG. Fortunately, there are a number of guys out there who could give them that and there hasn't been a lot of action at the position so far. So, they still do have a chance to get someone pretty good to fill this position in their starting lineup.

A trade for Waters would be ideal. But, if KC won't give him up, there are still some interesting options out there for the Bills to pursue.

Tatonka
03-07-2009, 11:16 PM
a trade for waters, and signing june, would make this the best offseason i have ever seen.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
a trade for waters, and signing june, would make this the best offseason i have ever seen.

That certainly would make it pretty good, that's for sure.

Al the Bills Fan
03-07-2009, 11:55 PM
KC have a need for a WR?

Parrish and a pick for Waters? Just throwin it out there. McKelvin & Mcgee can handle the returns

Michael82
03-08-2009, 01:28 AM
The Bills better be on the phone with Kansas City tomorrow and offer their 3rd rounder for Waters. He is exactly what we need. Add him and Cato June to the team,plus a stud pass rusher in the draft...who wouldn't love our offseason? :drool: