PDA

View Full Version : In defense of signing Owens

SoCalBillsFan
03-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I've never liked TO, and I've always said I wouldn't want him on my team. He's a cancer, his attitude stinks, etc. That said, here's why this is a good move.

1. It's a one year deal - he'll be playing for another contract and needs a big year, and we won't have to worry about what to do with him after the season.
2. He has a history of being very productive and not nearly as much a cancer in his first year. In Philly and Dallas he was a model citizen in year one (or at least not a huge headache).
3. He's still a top 5 WR in the NFL
4. He's the first real playmaker this team has had in a decade

and 5 - This team has not made the playoffs for 10 years. It hasn't even had winning records. It's on the verge of becoming irrelevant. Maybe I see it more being 3000 miles away, but the Bills aren't even a laughing stock anymore to most of america. They're just sort of there. I used to get trash talk from people out here or at least get made fun of, and now no one even cares. What does this mean? That I'm willing to try anything to win again. Even signing TO.

Here's to a winning season - at least I know the front office is trying.

ddaryl
03-07-2009, 07:50 PM
the Bills are desperate. T.O. is desperate, it's a perfect match...

Heck the fans are desperate... At this point we have at least something to look forward to.

tat2dmike77
03-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

trapezeus
03-07-2009, 07:55 PM
anyone hear Drew Rosenhaus on ESPNnews? he sounds like he doesn't know the bills at all. i get the sense that we were the only team in this thing.

i hope TO is desperate to prove himself. This either is a great move or it will continue to keep us in the basement of the AFC East.

when ralph enjoys holding the current state of the bills, this move represents at least some kind of effort to do something different. Thank God. NOw let's see if it pays off.

Philagape
03-07-2009, 11:23 PM
It was going take something drastic to give this team even the slightest chance.
Drastic we got.
I'm trying to remind myself that the Bills' glory years had some big egos too.

A one-year deal signals the team thinks it can make a serious run. But unless the run blocking and pass rush are better, it ain't gonna happen. TO is a huge piece of the puzzle, but it's not complete yet.

49ers
03-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree it's a good signing for Buffalo.

SeatownBillsFan21
03-07-2009, 11:25 PM
TO should have been signing 1 year deals since he left SF IMO

chubluv
03-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Its perfect for us. Its only one year. Hes going to use us as a stepping stone to another big contract. Which means he is probably going to put up some good numbers this season.

Its funny to because the other day me and my friends were hoping that he would sign with NE and be a cancer in their locker room and mess them up internally. Now he is in our locker room. I'm happy & concerned all at the same time.

Philagape
03-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Look at it this way .... the Bills have nothing to lose.

Discotrish
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I think this practically guarantees there will be no NFL season this year. We'll get to use our imaginations on "what might have been!"

SoCalFan, I NEVER see you posting in the Twilight Zone anymore. where ya been? Too busy watching the state go insolvent?

Patti

Luisito23
03-08-2009, 12:40 AM
:negrep:

Mr. Cynical
03-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Look at it this way .... the Bills have nothing to lose.

That's actually a very good point.

Throne Logic
03-08-2009, 01:57 AM
It was going take something drastic to give this team even the slightest chance.
Drastic we got.

This is the underlying and most important point here.

This team is stuck in that mediocre zone. Not bad enough to warrent a complete overhaul, but not good enough to do achieve anything notable.

For better or for worse, signing TO will break the Bills out of this rut. They will either get better with him, or finally reach the brink and implode - resulting an a complete house cleaning and fresh rebuild.

It is for this reason, and this reason only, that I find myself supporting this move. I will not consider him any less of a jerk and a socially inept fool no matter what he accomplishes on the field next season.

BAM
03-08-2009, 08:44 AM
“I’m looking forward to getting together with Trent, Lee and the guys and putting some points on the board,” Owens said. “That’s what I’ve done everywhere I’ve been, and it’s going to continue.” :clap:

Jan Reimers
03-08-2009, 08:50 AM
“I’m looking forward to getting together with Trent, Lee and the guys and putting some points on the board,” Owens said. “That’s what I’ve done everywhere I’ve been, and it’s going to continue.” :clap:
At least he knows 2 names at this point. And he knows that Buffalo is in North America.

The Spaz
03-08-2009, 08:52 AM
At least he knows 2 names at this point. And he knows that Buffalo is in North America.

Yeah I was shaking my head and that comment.

Michael82
03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah I was shaking my head and that comment.
America's team....North America's team. Because we play in the US and Canada. That's my guess.

SoCalBillsFan
03-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I think this practically guarantees there will be no NFL season this year. We'll get to use our imaginations on "what might have been!"

SoCalFan, I NEVER see you posting in the Twilight Zone anymore. where ya been? Too busy watching the state go insolvent?

Patti

Ha - glad someone remembers! Yes, it's been a thrill receiving IOU's instead of tax refunds from the state...good times.

In truth, I'm hardly posting in ANY forums anymore thanks to increased workloads (and all the usual excuses). But I'll try to be around more. Hope all is well and glad you are still posting.