PDA

View Full Version : Conversation Likely To Happen Mon/Tue This Week

LifetimeBillsFan
03-08-2009, 01:43 AM
I predict that the agent of at least one player who has visited the Bills and walked away without signing a contract will call on Monday or Tuesday and say something like this:

"Um, my client talked with his wife and family over the weekend about the numbers that you talked with us about during his visit and, um, he decided to reconsider your offer and, um, we'd like to know if, um, your offer is still on the table...."

I could be very wrong about this, but I think that the signing of T.Owens will make one or more of the free agents that they have talked to reconsider whether the Bills have a chance to be a winning team this season and Buffalo might be a place where they would have a chance to make it to the playoffs.

Looking at the Bills before the TO signing, a free agent player could be forgiven if he saw a young team that was just not quite good enough to compete for a playoff berth against the Pats, Miami and the Jets. Why would a mid-level FA, who isn't going to get the kind of money that he really wants, want to go to a team that isn't going to pay him much, where he has little chance of making any playoff money when he could wait and perhaps get picked up by a potential playoff team, maybe at a slightly lower salary, after the draft or someone gets injured?

But, now, with TO joining the Bills, that same guy might see the Bills as being a team that does want to win and now has the potential to put some points up on the board this coming season on offense and maybe compete for a wild-card berth and some playoff bucks. He may say to himself, "If they add me and maybe a couple of other pieces to the mix, the Bills could be a much better team this season than I thought they would be. Maybe they could have a shot at making the playoffs."

It wouldn't surprise me if one or two guys comes to that conclusion and the Bills end up signing one or more (less likely) of the guys who have already visited them sometime this week. I could see them inking one of the linebackers that they have had in for a visit.

Because I think that they will probably further explore the possibility of trading for Waters, I think that it could be awhile before they get around to filling their need for a LG: in part because working out a trade for Waters could take some time (if they can even make such a deal), and, in part, because they won't want to sign a FA OG until they determine if they can get Waters and if K.Simmons is healthy. Still, I think that they are very much aware of the fact that it is a need that the have to fill and will work to fill. But, at the same time, I don't think that they will let the fact that filling that need may take time deter them from trying to address some of the other holes in their roster that they would like to fill as well.

What do you think?

Throne Logic
03-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Interesting thought. Of course, it could go the exact opposite way, too:

"Um, you know how we said we were probably going to sign with you on Monday morning? Well, that TO signing. . .yeah, well, my client has some real concerns about being in the same locker room with that idiot."

Ingtar33
03-08-2009, 05:50 AM
no... i buy that thought.

remember, back in the early 90's when the packers had an up and coming team, they couldn't sign anyone in FA... because no one wanted to live in the ass end of nowhere.

the packers shelled out a fortune for Reggie White, and all of a sudden they could sign anyone. In short.. players will play in Alaska or on the moon, if it looks like the team has a dedication to winning or an exciting future.

TO might change some minds and make the rest of FA a bit easier to sign some players. If the only impact he has on the team is to help us rebuild the line, and get some talent in here on the D-line as well then I'll call it worth every dime.

because until we signed him i don't think anyone we needed was going to sign with us this off season.

-if this doesn't play out like that, then he better have a great year on the field, and drag us to the playoffs. or this was a waste of money.

don137
03-08-2009, 06:03 AM
I agree with your logic except the part about Waters. I feel everyone and their grandmother knows BB helped out Pioli by trading him Cassel and Vrabel at a discount. Now that the Bills have TO they are still not as good as the Patriots however are more of a threat. I feel Pioli won't stick it to BB by sending an all-pro guard to Buffalo after BB helped him out.

Mahdi
03-08-2009, 06:30 AM
I agree with your logic except the part about Waters. I feel everyone and their grandmother knows BB helped out Pioli by trading him Cassel and Vrabel at a discount. Now that the Bills have TO they are still not as good as the Patriots however are more of a threat. I feel Pioli won't stick it to BB by sending an all-pro guard to Buffalo after BB helped him out.
I said the exact same thing even before the TO signing. There's no way Pioli trades a PB guard to the rival of the guy who just gave him a franchise QB and LB for nothing.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I think I agree, TO makes this team a little more interesting for sure.

methos4ever
03-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't know if any of you were listening to ESPN News/Radio when it was first announced, but apparently we are also looking at bringing in LeCharles Bentley, OC/G formerly of NO and Cleveland.

If he's healthy, he was one of the best guards (and centers) in the NFL. If we can collect enough guys that have that chip on their shoulder - heck LT if he comes free comes to mind as well - we can be the North American Home for Wayward Players.

The Spaz
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM
If Bentley is healthy I am all for it but if the guy was good to go he would be on a team already.

Mahdi
03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't know if any of you were listening to ESPN News/Radio when it was first announced, but apparently we are also looking at bringing in LeCharles Bentley, OC/G formerly of NO and Cleveland.

If he's healthy, he was one of the best guards (and centers) in the NFL. If we can collect enough guys that have that chip on their shoulder - heck LT if he comes free comes to mind as well - we can be the North American Home for Wayward Players.
That would be a sick signing if he is in fact healthy. Dude can play.

HHURRICANE
03-08-2009, 09:25 AM
They will come Ray, they will definately come.

jdbillsfan
03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Would be great if Tony G would re-consider

Michael82
03-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I have no doubt that this signing just made all the available FAs put the Buffalo Bills on their list. I believe that we will have our LB on Monday and will probably bring some more FAs in this week.

venis2k1
03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Bentley? He hasn't taken a snap in 4 years.