X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Midwesternbillsfan
    • Apr 2007

The Analysts Just Don't Get It- You Can't Expect Them To

The analysts' shock about Terrell Owens to the Bills has turned into skepticism and scorn... derisive, nasty scorn. The Merrill Hoges' and Chris Mortensens' (and come Monday, the Mike Golic's, Mark Schlereth's, and Skip Bayless') have and will continue to excorciate the Bills for adding Terrell Owens. Truth be told, we haven't seen- or heard- the worst of it. But what does it all mean? What does it all mean when "analysts" such as these men all come to the same, collective conclusion about the disaster that is represented by this mercurial wideout being married to this annually ultimately disappointing organization? Nothing- absolutely nothing. And what conclusion should Bills' fans come to? Their own- not others' own, no matter the medium provided for ESPN's talking heads.

The same analysts that will say that the addition of Terrell Owens will undermine Trent Edwards' confidence are the same analysts that wouldn't have discussed our QB at any point during the offseason. The same analysts that will say that the addition of Terrell Owens will cause strife that Dick Jauron doesn't own the personality to overcome are the same analysts that would've predicted that Jauron would have been out as coach by the end of the season, anyway. And the same analysts that will say that the addition of Terrell Owens will disrupt the Bills' inviolable team chemistry and inevitably cause an implosion of epic proportions are the same analysts that would have- probably accurately- predicted Buffalo to win 5-7 games and occupy last place in the AFC East- once again. So what is there to lose? What is there to lose? No Playoffs since the Clinton Presidency, a concession of being unable to be wholly financially competitive via 'Cash to the Cap', and finishing 7-9 for perpetuity- and 7-9 for this particular season w/this schedule and without TO may have been a stretch... again, what is there to lose?

The two options for the Bills- so far as I see it, which is too far for these same "analysts" to see it- are that either Buffalo becomes genuinely relevant and in thick of playoff contention, OR Owens expedites and/or ignites an implosion which results in a full-fledged rebuilding effort. What the analysts won't say, though, is that w/a potential lame-duck coach and w/increasingly apathetic and disenchanted fanbase finding themselves unable to justify the cost of paying to see this hapless franchise with or without an economic downturn, we were well on our way down the direction of starting over and starting from stratch anyway. But don't expect the "analysts" to say that; don't expect the "analysts" to recognize even that. It just doesn't matter, though; it just doesn't matter. The Bills, meanwhile, well... may they now will...
    Last edited by Midwesternbillsfan; 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM.
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: The Analysts Just Don't Get It- You Can't Expect Them To

Everyone's pissed because you have to say Buffalo Bills in the same sentence with TO everyday until 2009 is over!!

It's awesome.

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

<------------ still laughing my ass off.....

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Even if it's a desperate move by a desperate franchise, it is -after 9 years of mediocrity - a bold move. It's not like TO is going to ruin a good team, or disrupt some special chemistry. We were stuck in neutral and headed for reverse. TO might give us a big push in the right direction, or maybe he won't.

But there's no harm in trying something.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Honestly the analysts are going to say what they say and as much fans love to claim bias against the Bills for not reporting on them recently there really has been no reason to have Buffalo in the news. A guy on ESPN radio last night said it best. Buffalo has not been relevant since its SB years, this move makes them relevant again That doesn't mean its a smart move, a dumb move, the right move or the wrong move. Let the analysts say what they want, who cares? But don't call them out for not talking about Buffalo when we've given them absolutely nothing to talk about for about a decade.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

It's about selling tickets. Period. So that part of what they're saying is right.

Hurting Edwards? Unlikely. Terrell behaves in his 1st year with a new team.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              Honestly the analysts are going to say what they say and as much fans love to claim bias against the Bills for not reporting on them recently there really has been no reason to have Buffalo in the news. A guy on ESPN radio last night said it best. Buffalo has not been relevant since its SB years, this move makes them relevant again That doesn't mean its a smart move, a dumb move, the right move or the wrong move. Let the analysts say what they want, who cares? But don't call them out for not talking about Buffalo when we've given them absolutely nothing to talk about for about a decade.
              I'm not "calling out" any analyst out for not talking about the Bills; I don't even insinuate that. I'm "calling out" the analysts for what they're all uniformly saying about this particular move by the Bills. And I'm saying that they truly don't understand the depths to which this franchise has sunk this millenium, even with Terrell Owens far removed from any discussion (no playoffs since the Clinton Presidency; a disgruntled and disillusioned fanbase; a potential lame-duck coach inspiring little to no hope for any change in '09). So Bills' fans are in the unique and apparently esoteric position to realize that this move actually represents very little risk. After all, when you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to risk.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                It's about selling tickets. Period. So that part of what they're saying is right.

Hurting Edwards? Unlikely. Terrell behaves in his 1st year with a new team.
                I think it will prove only to be "about selling tickets" if we seriously fail to address our other critical needs through FA, trades and the draft. I am still hopeful that we will not stop with TO. He is not nearly enough.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Well, here's how I look at it: (And Sullivan agrees with me in today's paper)

The guy is not in trouble with the law.

The guy doesn't beat up women

The guy isn't into dope, crack, or weapons.

The guy has an ego, plain and simple. He's a real-life Rod Tidwell.

The rest is just the same silly **** you hear on the E channel about Lindsay Lohan, et al...

I tell young managers all the time when they're evaluating their employees:

Focus on performance, not personality.

I would give the nay-sayers on this board the same advice.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

All the analysts you mentioned are douche bags so who cares what they say?

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                      All the analysts you mentioned are douche bags so who cares what they say?
                      There are many that do, and there are many that will. I'm just stressing that it doesn't matter because they don't matter; they don't know the psyche of Bills' fans OR the atmosphere of apathy and mediocrity that has engulfed OBD this entire millenium. I'm just making a point of what they surely won't- that's all.

Comment

• jpdex12
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Historian
                        Well, here's how I look at it: (And Sullivan agrees with me in today's paper)

The guy is not in trouble with the law.

The guy doesn't beat up women

The guy isn't into dope, crack, or weapons.

The guy has an ego, plain and simple. He's a real-life Rod Tidwell.

The rest is just the same silly **** you hear on the E channel about Lindsay Lohan, et al...

I tell young managers all the time when they're evaluating their employees:

Focus on performance, not personality.

I would give the nay-sayers on this board the same advice.
                        One, question...what happens when the personality of an employee affects the rest of the office?

One answer, you fire him/her!

What's TO's employment record look like with the last three employers he's worked for?
                        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy

great post.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

It's amazing to me how many people criticize this move. I have heard some positive things being said, mainly because it's only a one-year deal.

My opinion is: if this whole experiment fails, Jauron was going to be fired anyway, and we'd pretty much be rebuilding yet again. So where's the harm? It has risks, but Owens is essentially in a contract year with something to prove. He has every reason to perform great, and not be a cancer, because if he puts up great numbers then he has another chance for a decent contract, even at 36.
                            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jpdex12
                              One, question...what happens when the personality of an employee affects the rest of the office?

One answer, you fire him/her!
                              No, you don't. You work with them to try and fit them into your system

What's TO's employment record look like with the last three employers he's worked for?
                              70 passes for a thousand yards at age 34.

I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                              X