PDA

View Full Version : One thing about T.O. that I haven't seen much said...

Mudflap1
03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I mean, obviously T.O. has had his share of controversy over his career. And on paper, to the rest of the NFL it looks weird that such a spotlight-hugging, high-profile guy would go to such a low-key, small market, mediocre team. I think it's fairly obvious there weren't a lot of high profile teams knocking his door down the last few days. However, here is a point...

Everywhere T.O. has been, there have been other, strong-willed, bonafide leaders on the team.

In San Francisco, he had Jerry Rice and Steve Young at the beginning of his career, and then Jeff Garcia after Young and Rice left. He didn't clash with Young and Rice (probably because they weren't around that long with T.O., and because they were icons), but as we all now, he clashed with Garcia.

In Philly, he had Donovan McNabb, and Brian Dawkins, with McNabb as the big-ticket guy. As we all know, T.O. clashed with Donovan.

In Dallas, he had Tony Romo and Jason Witten, in particular, and he clashed with them.

In Buffalo, who is there to clash with?

As we have seen, T.O. usually behaves his first year. But even if this goes beyond one year in Buffalo, who does T.O. have to clash with? Nobody. T.O. can be THE undisputed leader of this team. He can own this town if he puts positive vibes into what he is doing. The Buffalo fans will get behind him if he 1) is the positive, undisputed alpha dog of the team; 2) produces on the field; and 3) makes the team better. No fan base will idolize him more.

So I think there actually is a big opportunity here for this guy where he can be the man, undisputed, and own this team/town. However, the Bills still need to make a few more moves to make the team good enough to make a playoff run. I really don't believe they are there yet. There needs to be another LB (veteran) brought in, definitely another LG, and a veteran running back that can relieve Freddy Jackson when Lynch is likely suspended, plus making good draft picks. While I actually thought Chambers played pretty well last year when he was called upon, I'm very nervous about cutting Dockery and having a career backup (again) start at center, and Chambers start at LG.

But if these holes are filled, T.O. can be a savior here, and can get ALL of the credit for the first time in his career, without sharing the limelight with anybody else. Either that, or the Bills will suck again, and T.O. will turn into a disinterested Randy Moss (when he was in Oakland).

Philagape
03-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Great post

Mitchell55
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I think he doesnt like other players getting in his face. But, Stroud and Whitner might.

Mudflap1
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Great post

Thanks. I really like the move. Not only do the Bills have nothing to lose, but if the Bills can pull some Arizona Cardinal magic this season, T.O. can look like the big hero and get all the glory. But the Bills can't stand pat. There is more work to be done.

Mudflap1
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM
I think he doesnt like other players getting in his face. But, Stroud and Whitner might.

Whitner couldn't hold T.O.'s jock. He has no right to get in his face. Stroud on the other hand at least is a Pro Bowl player. But the defensive players seem to always like him, because he delivers and scores points, which makes their jobs easier. I can't remember the defensive players on his teams every really having a problem with him. It's always the offensive players and the coaches.

shelby
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Good post, you raise a valid point.

Mudflap1
03-08-2009, 07:43 PM
thx

TigerJ
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
As I've said, it is a real positive that the contract with TO is for one year only. It takes advantage of TOs history of having a pretty good first year with a new team, and does not back the Bills into a difficult financial corner as a long term deal with a disgruntled TO tht a long term deal could well do. If TO does have any ambitions of signing for another year or two or hree after this, he's got to know he needs to behave himself this year.