PDA

View Full Version : TO and TE

jmb1099
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
It has already been stated a number of times that this is Trent Edwards put up or shut up year. With the receiving weapons he now has, no one in their right minds would dispute this. But, this is Free Agency, and this is a Buffalo Bills fan base that has been so sick of losing its grown indifferent to the team. So common sense amongst the fan base has been lost from time to time (present company included) and why shouldn't it be when common sense at One Bills drive hasn't been evident for more than a decade.
Enter in Terrell Owens, a highly talented player who brings a side show with him wherever he goes. He's whiny, arrogant, selfish, and divisive, and oh, don't forget, the man scores touchdowns. While Owens has caused fans to scream at the television in frustration for dropping passes that third grade children catch on the playground all day, he has a knack for finding the end-zone and being a human highlight reel.

The problem with Owens over the years of course has been his amazing ability to seemingly destroy football teams, three to be exact. This is the opinion that many, myself included have held for years. But is this really the case? It could very well be and odds are it is. One could easily say that wherever TO has gone, trouble has followed and that is accurate. But the question that I have been asking myself in the last 24 whirl-wind hours is this... what if those problems weren't all TO?

Consider for a minute the three teams he's supposedly destroyed: San Fran, Philly, and Dallas. The problems he had with the Niners were really centered abound one player initially: Jeff Garcia. While the conflict initially grew out of control, Owens initial issue with Garcia was his perception of poor QB execution and work ethic. Consider Philly and Owens cited McNabb for the same issues. Was Owens wrong? I remember that Superbowl fairly well since I have a good friend that bleeds Philly green... Owens showed up to play broken ankle and all while McNabb played with almost no urgency. Move on to Dallas where Owens has been somewhat quite for the most part, especially as it related to Tony Romo. Now some have made an issue of Jerry Jones and his willingness to cut Owens lose at the expense of $9 million dollars as evidence of Owens being that large a problem. While I can only speculate, I suspect that Owens had let Jones and company know that he would no longer remain silent about the Choke Artist that is Tony Romo. Like I said, pure speculation, but it wasn't Owens that had cost the Cowboys two painful playoff losses, it was Romo either by way of bobbled snap or multiple interceptions.

Enter Trent Edwards. Make no mistake, the Bills now possess one of the better receiver tandems in the NFL, perhaps even top 5. Edwards is now in his third year, if he is to be our QB the time is now for him to lead this team, including Owens. Make no mistake, whatever his motives, Owens wants to win which means he will play with passion and may look better than he has in years. This is his shot at one last monster payday and he knows it. So don't be surprised to see Owens outplay our Evans, but don't be surprised either if and when Owens calls members of this team out for lack of discipline and execution, especially Edwards. It will escalate into something immature and personal, it always does with Owens, but it always starts when the QB isn't holding up his end of the deal. Here's to hoping Edwards and Owens click for all of our sakes.

shelby
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Good post. Let's hope Trent can make things happen.