PDA

View Full Version : Rabach seeking promotion

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-13-2003, 12:32 AM
Offensive lineman Casey Rabach wants to be a starter, no matter where it is.
Rabach, the top backup at center and both guard positions last year, said he has little else to prove in that realm.

"My main goal is to establish myself as a starter," said Rabach, the Ravens' 2001 third-round draft choice. "Who knows where it will be? But weird things can happen, with injuries. I'm looking at it as this is my season for a breakout."

Rabach did not play as a rookie but started five games last season, subbing for left guard Edwin Mulitalo and center Mike Flynn. He started at right guard for Bennie Anderson during the Ravens' three-day minicamp, which concluded yesterday. Anderson was excused because of personal business.

It could be the place where Rabach has the best chance of starting if he can out-play Anderson in training camp. If that happens, the Ravens could choose to start Rabach at right guard or move Flynn to that position and Rabach to center.

Either scenario would sit well with Rabach, who said he appreciated the work with the first team these past few days.

"Those reps I took are invaluable," Rabach said. "Last year at the beginning of the season, I took a lot of reps with the first group. Every time you are out there with them, you learn a little bit more and get to establish yourself a little bit more.

"This year, I want to prove to the coaches that I'm the man to fill that spot."

http://www.sunspot.net/sports/football/bal-sp.ravensnotes12may12,0,4743115.story?coll=bal-sports-football