PDA

View Full Version : Dockery Trade

jdbillsfan
03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Paper cut stings
Bills fans whose confidence in team management was already shaky had more reason to doubt the direction of the franchise last week. The Bills had reached an agreement to trade guard Derrick Dockery to the Lions, but the deal never went through because the paperwork wasn't filed by a 4 p.m. deadline. So instead of receiving compensation for Dockery - even if it was just a late-round draft choice - the Bills released him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2009/03/08/quoth_the_former_raven/?page=4

jdbillsfan
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Nevermind. I think this is old and it turns out it wasn't their fault. Ha ha...

sorry. Can delete this thread....

Oaf
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
My Q is, before you delete it, is why didn't we simply explore trade options weeks or even ONE DAY earlier? That's procrastination worse than me!

Mudflap1
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Why was it not the Bills' fault?

The Spaz
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
It was for a 7th round pick anyway. I'll gladly take the cap space over that.

clumping platelets
03-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Dockery's agent has even said the Bills did not make a mistake

OpIv37
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Dockery's agent has even said the Bills did not make a mistake

Oh they most certainly did.

Even if this specific report was false, did you see the contract that the Redskins gave him? At least two teams were interested in him, and this was a surprise cut. Other teams didn't know the Bills were going to axe him.

So, Dock had trade value but the Bills sat around with their thumbs up their asses until it was too late and cut him anyway. Even if the trade was for some used jock straps and a bag of deflated footballs, something is better than nothing.

dplus47
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
It was for a 7th round pick anyway. I'll gladly take the cap space over that.

but if you trade a guy for a 7th, you get the cap room AND the pick. how is that bad?

The Spaz
03-08-2009, 10:26 PM
but if you trade a guy for a 7th, you get the cap room AND the pick. how is that bad?

I didn't say it was bad. I'm just woopdy-doo a 7th round pick.

Lexwhat
03-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I didn't say it was bad. I'm just woopdy-doo a 7th round pick.

He means something different.

If we traded Dockery for even a 7th rounder, we would have NO cap hit. But since we released him instead, we took a cap hit this year.

Goobylal
03-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Wrong. Regardless of whether you cut or trade a player, you still take a cap hit this year. And I couldn't care less about missing-out on a 2010 7th rounder. Not that the Redskins or Lions are bastions of smart decision-making.

B-DON
03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
This is honestly not even about the compensation for Dockery. The fact is the bills front office blew the ball on a trade. whether it was for a first rounder or an 82nd rounder doesn't matter. next time it might be a 2nd rounder and then what? only the bills can manage to pull off stunts like these. unbelievable

Lexwhat
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Wrong. Regardless of whether you cut or trade a player, you still take a cap hit this year. And I couldn't care less about missing-out on a 2010 7th rounder. Not that the Redskins or Lions are bastions of smart decision-making.

Sorry about that. I stand corrected.

Goobylal
03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
This is honestly not even about the compensation for Dockery. The fact is the bills front office blew the ball on a trade. whether it was for a first rounder or an 82nd rounder doesn't matter. next time it might be a 2nd rounder and then what? only the bills can manage to pull off stunts like these. unbelievable
Well, the Cowboys then also blew it by not attempting to trade TO. Right?

dplus47
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

yes, they did blow it. 7th rounders aren't "sexy" picks, but they're valued. if you look at it as "the best of the street free agents" rather than "the worst of the draftees," it's a good way to bring somebody in that you think someone else might snag. wasn't matt cassell a 7th round pick?

of course, you have to have faith in your scouting dept.

yordad
03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
The Bills should have looked for a trade earlier. It was 100% their fault.

Joe Fo Sho
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Tell you what, I'm going to do everything I can to follow the Lions 7th round pick throughout his 2 and a half year career. I'll prolly have to cry myself to sleep remembering that we could've had him...

yordad
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, their 7th round pick may not have been our 7th. Soooo, your gonna have to follow all the 7ths and all the undrafteds. ok?

T-Long
03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
who cares...7th rounders suck anyway

Joe Fo Sho
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, their 7th round pick may not have been our 7th. Soooo, your gonna have to follow all the 7ths and all the undrafteds. ok?

Done and done

B-DON
03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
honestly, just look at the guys we have gotten the past few years in undrafted fa and even steve johnson last year. greer, peters, jackson. tell me you wouldnt take any of those players for free or at least the shot at getting them. Face it! the bills blew it on this one.

The Spaz
03-09-2009, 10:19 PM
honestly, just look at the guys we have gotten the past few years in undrafted fa and even steve johnson last year. greer, peters, jackson. tell me you wouldnt take any of those players for free or at least the shot at getting them. Face it! the bills blew it on this one.

The Lions get a free pass on this too?

B-DON
03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
The Lions get a free pass on this too?

being mentioned in the same sentence with the lions proves my point. and how can they know dockery is on the block if we dont let teams know? so yes the lions do get a pass on this one even furthermore making the bills look ridiculous

im8th2buffalo
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't know who really dropped the ball, but I can't believe that we got nothing. Somebody screwed up.

These are a few pretty good 7th round picks in the past.
Courtesy of Yahoo Answers.

C Tom Nalen (1994, pick 218)
RB Jamal Anderson (1994, pick 201)
WR Donald Driver (1999, pick 213)
DT Jason Ferguson (1997, pick 229)
TE/LS Brian Jennings (2000, pick 230)
WR TJ Houshmandzadeh (2001, pick 204)
DT Raheem Brock (2002, pick 238)
WR Patrick Crayton (2004, pick 216)
RB Derrick Ward (2004, pick 235)
CB Reynaldo Hill (2005, pick 218)
CB Cortland Finnegan (2006, pick 215)
WR Marques Colston (2006, pick 252)
RB Deshawn Wynn (2007, pick 228)

:oops:

Ron Burgundy
03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't know who really dropped the ball, but I can't believe that we got nothing. Somebody screwed up.

These are a few pretty good 7th round picks in the past.
Courtesy of Yahoo Answers.

C Tom Nalen (1994, pick 218)
RB Jamal Anderson (1994, pick 201)
WR Donald Driver (1999, pick 213)
DT Jason Ferguson (1997, pick 229)
TE/LS Brian Jennings (2000, pick 230)
WR TJ Houshmandzadeh (2001, pick 204)
DT Raheem Brock (2002, pick 238)
WR Patrick Crayton (2004, pick 216)
RB Derrick Ward (2004, pick 235)
CB Reynaldo Hill (2005, pick 218)
CB Cortland Finnegan (2006, pick 215)
WR Marques Colston (2006, pick 252)
RB Deshawn Wynn (2007, pick 228)

:oops:

Holy ****, that's like, 13 decent players over the last 14 years and 450 or so draft picks!

The Spaz
03-09-2009, 11:23 PM
being mentioned in the same sentence with the lions proves my point. and how can they know dockery is on the block if we dont let teams know? so yes the lions do get a pass on this one even furthermore making the bills look ridiculous

It takes 2 teams period. What if the last piece of paperwork had to be sent by the Lions and they didn't get it done. We don't know the situation so placing the blame purely on Buffalo is just speculation.

im8th2buffalo
03-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Most 7th round picks don't even make the final roster cut I am sure. I am just saying that just because they may have only gotten a 7th round pick, it is not always nothing. Some are pretty good players.
I would rather the team get a chance at something than a guaranteed nothing.
I am not even saying for sure that Buffalo was the one who made the mistake. I hope they were not.

:blowup:

Lexwhat
03-09-2009, 11:35 PM

I don't think it's fair to compare Dockery and Owens in this case.

Dockery would have had a market, and IMO, a number of teams would have been interested in him. Of course I don't know if the Bills tried to trade him, but it doesn't appear as if they did.

For example, if the Chiefs trade Waters for a 4th or 5th rounder, I'm sure we could have traded Dockery for at least a 5th rounder. The Bills should have shopped around weeks ago.

On the other hand, the Cowboys would be hard-pressed to find an Owens suitor (considering his contract and character issues).

You might not think that a 7th rounder is a big deal, but name 1 NFL team that would turn down a free 7th rounder if they didn't have to give up anything extra?

Lexwhat
03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Oh they most certainly did.

Even if this specific report was false, did you see the contract that the Redskins gave him? At least two teams were interested in him, and this was a surprise cut. Other teams didn't know the Bills were going to axe him.

So, Dock had trade value but the Bills sat around with their thumbs up their asses until it was too late and cut him anyway. Even if the trade was for some used jock straps and a bag of deflated footballs, something is better than nothing.

Which reminds me: Did you ever hear about that minor-league baseball pitcher who got traded for 10 bats last year?

Sadly, he died recently, and a possible cause is suicide. Sorry to ruin your joke...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29495228/

im8th2buffalo
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I remember that. It is sad.

That definitely did not get the coverage that the bat deal got.

BuffaloRanger
03-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Why did the Bills have to release Dockery that day?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that roster bonus wasn't due for a few more weeks.

It's not like they desperately needed the cap space. They didn't have to release him before FA started.

Yasgur's Farm
03-10-2009, 05:13 AM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/02/no-fault-by-bills-on-dock.html
February 28, 2009

No fault by Bills on Dock

Here's the clarification on the potential trade of Derrick Dockery to Detroit that never came down.
The Bills planned to release Dockery on Thursday. About two hours before the 4 p.m. deadline to make cuts, the Bills heard from Detroit, which was interested in acquiring Dockery. Talks ensued. Dockery was due a roster bonus at 12:01 a.m. Friday of $1.75 million.
If the Bills were going to make a trade, Dockery would have to agree to push back the bonus and he would have to get a physical in Detroit and agree to the deal before it could be official. So the Bills would have to file paperwork to push back the roster bonus to the fifth day of the league year. That paperwork would have to be filed by 4 p.m. Talks between the Bills and Lions ensued and there was no deal as of 3:30 p.m. The Bills might have been able to acquire Jon Kitna, a league source reports, but the Bills already had targeted Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Bengals and wanted him instead.

Yasgur's Farm
03-10-2009, 05:18 AM
By the time the Bills and Lions finally came to an agreement on what they would deal in return for Dockery - it was a seventh-round pick in 2010 - it was within minutes of the 4 p.m. deadline, and the Bills determined that there was no way they could get all the paperwork required done in time to make it happen. The Bills filed the paperwork to release Dockery. They never even filed any of the paperwork required to push the bonus back five days. Dockery was free to pursue free agency, which he did.
---Mark Gaughan
7TH ROUNDER IN 2010?!! OMG!!!