PDA

View Full Version : How T.O. helps us even before he plays a down

elltrain22
03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
1. Ya know we're gonna get 2-3 more prime time games.
2. He is like another coach to our young WR's
3. He is gonna bring in alotta $$$$$ for this team w/ his jersey sales, etc...
4. Other non-signed FA's might be more inclined to sign now b/c we're a legit playoff contender.
5. He has put us back on the map. People actually are talking about this team.

BuffaloBillsStampede
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I was actually thinking about how much James Hardy could benefit from this move.

muestafa1
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I was actually thinking about how much James Hardy could benefit from this move.

Me too. Hopefully he can show him how to use his body to shield the ball from the defender and create space to make the catch.

OpIv37
03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Sorry but TO alone doesn't make us a legit playoff contender. DE, LB and the interior of the OL need serious help before playoffs are even a remote possibility.

B-DON
03-08-2009, 10:46 PM
^a good offense can offset these flaws. i.e indy, arizona, just to name a few

LtFinFan66
03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I doubt you get 2-3 MORE prime time games. Maybe 2-3 total

LtFinFan66
03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
^a good offense can offset these flaws. i.e indy, arizona, just to name a fewAre you ready to compare your O to Indy and Arizona?

Edwards to Manning and Warner?

I honestly hope not

jamze132
03-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Hopefully AFN will show a bunch this year! Last year they showed the **** out of Favre and the jackass Jets...

Jeff1220
03-09-2009, 04:55 AM

Same thing. lol.

LtFinFan66
03-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Didn't you have a couple this past season?

Historian
03-09-2009, 06:01 AM

I agree with all of them except #1 also.

We'll get our usual one Monday nighter and one Sunday nighter.

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 09:49 AM
to play devils advocate

1. Ya know we're gonna get 2-3 more prime time games..
we don't do well in primtetime games. we almost beat the cowboys with TO playing in a primetime game but blew it.

2. He is like another coach to our young WR's. who has he mentored?

3. He is gonna bring in alotta $$$$$ for this team w/ his jersey sales, etc.... a lot of media attention. I'm not buying a TO jersey.

4. Other non-signed FA's might be more inclined to sign now b/c we're a legit playoff contender..... only desperate FA's like TO that are unwanted . PLayoff contender? Lets win 1 division game first before we talk playoffs.

5. He has put us back on the map. People actually are talking about this team.

He brought both negative and postive talk to any team he's been with.

DBrown77
03-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Some FA may not sign here because of TO too

madness
03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
who has he mentored?

He's been known to stay after practice and help younger receivers. It seems the press makes him out to be a bigger problem in the locker room than he really is.

It's too simple to just call T.O. a rat and move on down the road. I've tried that approach, but I think he actually has some admirable qualities. Besides being a future Hall of Famer, he's done a lot of things for his teammates that never get mentioned. When a teammate was released or had a death in the family, the first text message he received was often from T.O.

His best friends on the team have always been the guys at the bottom of the roster. When he was out with an injury during the 2006 training camp, he stayed after practice for an hour each day and worked with free agent rookie wide receiver Sam Hurd. The two became very close and T.O. had similar relationships with guys on the practice squad.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-8-209/Why-does-it-always-end-this-way-for-T-O--.html

Typ0
03-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a tremendous amount of respect for TO and believe he made some mistakes when he was younger that the Media has turned into a long term problem that really isn't there. There is no one in the league that works harder and no one that wants to win more. The guy has some talk but he backs it up with his work ethic and play on the field. Believe it or not TO is a team player who is absolutely driven to work his ass off and play the best football he can week in and week out. That's what he does and this team can use someone who will call out the rest of the team to put up or shut up. The only thing I am wondering about TO is if he'll play some hockey in the next few weeks.

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
He's been known to stay after practice and help younger receivers. It seems the press makes him out to be a bigger problem in the locker room than he really is.
one guy doesn't make him a mentor to many. I think Lee Evans has been a mentor more than TO has.

madness
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
one guy doesn't make him a mentor to many. I think Lee Evans has been a mentor more than TO has.

Well thank goodness one example posted doesn't dismiss all the other ones not posted.

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Well thank goodness one example posted doesn't dismiss all the other ones not posted.

your article posted he mentored one guy while the original post implies he's not only a mentor but he's a coach? Lets not make him out to be more than he really is.

Everyone like myself got giddy when we signed Drew Bledose from NE becuse we had rob johnson. It's almost the same .

Proceed with caution.

madness
03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
your article posted he mentored one guy while the original post implies he's not only a mentor but he's a coach? Lets not make him out to be more than he really is.

Everyone like myself got giddy when we signed Drew Bledose from NE becuse we had rob johnson. It's almost the same .

Proceed with caution.

and let's not make him out to be any less than he really is.

The two became very close and T.O. had similar relationships with guys on the practice squad.

The article was a post describing his relationship with teammates in the locker room. I've read numerous times how he is a team guy, especially within the WR corpse and is always helping everyone better their game. His personality gets him trouble some times but there is no question among anybody in football about his chemistry with MOST in the locker room.

DeMarcus Ware and Marion Barber have spoken highly of him telling the press he wasn't a distraction IN the locker room and that he's a great leader and great player. Those are big words from Barber since he stays away from the press at every given opportunity and keeps to himself.

Terrell Owens' former teammates are falling all over themselves to talk about how much they like him.

Sam Hurd, Jay Ratliff, Greg Ellis and Terence Newman all came out Thursday against Jerry Jones' decision to cut Owens.

On Friday, even media-shy Marion Barber chimed in.

“(Critics) are trying to make (Owens) into something he's not,” Barber told the Dallas Morning News' Calvin Watkins in a rare interview. “I felt the same way like everybody else, but then I met the man. Once you know who he is, he's a great guy.”

Barber's comments reminded me of a chat I had with former Eagles defensive end N.D. Kalu the day after the Cowboys signed Owens to a three-year, $25 million contract in March 2006.

Owens came to Dallas from Philadelphia, where his feud with quarterback Donovan McNabb split the Eagles locker room.

Seeking to find out just how bad Owens had been in Philadelphia, I called Kalu, a 1993 graduate of San Antonio Marshall High School who was a free agent at the time after five years with the Eagles.

But rather than bash Owens, Kalu called him “the hardest-working guy in the NFL” and said the vast majority of the Eagles liked him.

“Ninety percent of the people in the locker room enjoyed having him here,” Kalu said. “He never rubbed me the wrong way.”
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/Cowboys_Insider_Owens_well_liked_by_all_teammates_except_the_one_whose_opinion_matters_most.html

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
and let's not make him out to be any less than he really is..
I havent. I wasn't the one calling him a coach.

The article was a post describing his relationship with teammates in the locker room. I've read numerous times how he is a team guy, especially within the WR corpse and is always helping everyone better their game. His personality gets him trouble some times but there is no question among anybody in football about his chemistry with MOST in the locker room.

DeMarcus Ware and Marion Barber have spoken highly of him telling the press he wasn't a distraction IN the locker room and that he's a great leader and great player. Those are big words from Barber since he stays away from the press at every given opportunity and keeps to himself.

Romo, Mcnabb, Garcia,Whitten,etc,etc, will disagree with that article. Even Jerry Jones himself will disagree with it.

I'm sure there are a few players that will say Flutie wasn't a cancer either. Some people also liked Robosack.

TO has been a cancer wherever he went. I have never disagreed that he's one of the hardest working players in the league. But to say he's a coach or that we are a playoff contender just because he signed with us is just going overboard. The Pats didn't make the playoffs last year and we're not a s good as they are even with TO on board.

madness
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I havent. I wasn't the one calling him a coach.

Romo, Mcnabb, Garcia,Whitten,etc,etc, will disagree with that article. Even Jerry Jones himself will disagree with it.

I'm sure there are a few players that will say Flutie wasn't a cancer either. Some people also liked Robosack.

TO has been a cancer wherever he went. I have never disagreed that he's one of the hardest working players in the league. But to say he's a coach or that we are a playoff contender just because he signed with us is just going overboard. The Pats didn't make the playoffs last year and we're not a s good as they are even with TO on board.

He said he's like another coach to young WR's. Big difference between actually saying "he is a coach". Isn't one of a coaches jobs is to help make players better? So isn't a player who helps his teammates "like" a coach?

So that makes "Romo, Mcnabb, Garcia,Whitten,etc, etc" right over the other 95% of the roster? Jets players called out Farve making bad decisions. Do we automatically take Farve's side because he is the QB?

Jerry Jones wouldn't disagree with this article at all. To this very day he remains good friends with TO and would rather have him still on the roster. Jones knew he had to make a decision between Romo and Owens. Some even say Romo was the real problem through all this but Jones made a business decision and went with a young starting QB who should improve over an old declining WR.

G Wolly
03-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Yea he could bring in a load of money when Owens pays to have his number here

elltrain22
03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I was referencing TO as having another coach to our young WR's b/c when I watched the HBO special last summer, I was always seeing him work w/ the young WR's and trying to help them out w/ there routes. I can specifically remember him helping that real fast guy, and Danny Ammendola.

madness
03-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Forgot to add that it was reported that Ralph called Jones about T.O. and Jones gave the guy a glowing reference.

I was very skeptical about T.O. coming to the Bills but I like to do my home work before making decisions and it definitely seems like T.O. give his all in many ways to be a great teammate. The problem has always been that he's a talker and when things go bad, those are the first people the media jump on to get a quote. Big stories bring the paycheck and player controversy brings the big stories so anything and everything is usually taken out of context.

yordad
03-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I doubt you get 2-3 MORE prime time games. Maybe 2-3 totalIsn't that the same thing? We weren't likely to get any.

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
He said he's like another coach to young WR's. Big difference between actually saying "he is a coach". Isn't one of a coaches jobs is to help make players better? So isn't a player who helps his teammates "like" a coach?.

So that makes "Romo, Mcnabb, Garcia,Whitten,etc, etc" right over the other 95% of the roster? Jets players called out Farve making bad decisions. Do we automatically take Farve's side because he is the QB?.
95% of the roster? I doubt it. If TO was more of a good influence to the entire team, he wouldn't be moving from one team to another. Does he help team stats? definitely but chances are the negatives outweigh the positives he brings to a team or he wouldn't be playing for a small market team like buffalo to begin with.

Jerry Jones wouldn't disagree with this article at all. To this very day he remains good friends with TO and would rather have him still on the roster. Jones knew he had to make a decision between Romo and Owens. Some even say Romo was the real problem through all this but Jones made a business decision and went with a young starting QB who should improve over an old declining WR.

Jones lost a lot of money to cap space . He didn't have to cut TO but he did. Since he went with Romo over TO, then I guess we really have nothing to argue about. TO is not what bills fans make him out to be just because we signed him.

if we sign PAcman Jones some people here may make him out to be Zeus.

TO is no saviour. He's nothing more than desperate signing that even our FO is not sure whether he will pan out or not which is why he's only signed for a year.

madness
03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
95% of the roster? I doubt it. If TO was more of a good influence to the entire team, he wouldn't be moving from one team to another. Does he help team stats? definitely but chances are the negatives outweigh the positives he brings to a team or he wouldn't be playing for a small market team like buffalo to begin with.

Jones lost a lot of money to cap space . He didn't have to cut TO but he did. Since he went with Romo over TO, then I guess we really have nothing to argue about. TO is not what bills fans make him out to be just because we signed him.

if we sign PAcman Jones some people here may make him out to be Zeus.

TO is no saviour. He's nothing more than desperate signing that even our FO is not sure whether he will pan out or not which is why he's only signed for a year.

You can doubt it all you want. When your team leaders and even the quiet guys are all upset over Jones decision to release T.O. and going to the press about it to voice their dismay, it pretty much confirms he was heavily valued in the locker room.

The negatives in no way outweigh the positives in this situation. The Bills had a chance to improve their roster and jumped on it. It's a one year deal and if it doesn't work out, we're rebuilding with a new coach anyway. Little risk, high reward.

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
You can doubt it all you want. When your team leaders and even the quiet guys are all upset over Jones decision to release T.O. and going to the press about it to voice their dismay, it pretty much confirms he was heavily valued in the locker room..Jerry Jones is not an idiot. The guy will do anything to win. If TO was more important than Romo and Whitten then those two would've been gone and not TO. You can read into what people say all you want but I'll stick to what has been done ;)

The negatives in no way outweigh the positives in this situation. The Bills had a chance to improve their roster and jumped on it. It's a one year deal and if it doesn't work out, we're rebuilding with a new coach anyway. Little risk, high reward. In our situation definitely. It's only a one year deal which I said is a good deal for both sides. He gets to fix his image and the bills get help at wr until Hardy is ready.