PDA

View Full Version : Let's not half ass this....

The King
03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
So the Bills made the unprecedented move for Terrell Owens which makes this offense a force without question. The Bills are now face to face with a choice... and this will speak volumes to fans.

Is this TO move... one to sell tickets? or one to make this team legit? The next move will tell that story.

We have all discussed it, this team needs a legitimate threat at TE, some have talked about addressing it in the draft some have mentioned Owen Daniels... but at some point we have all talked about the move and its importance. The Bills need to acquire a TE who can contribute in Week 1, and based on history the NFL draft is not going to be the place to do that. So unless Derek Fine has shown enough to be the man, we need to actively Pursue a TE. At almost any cost... look at Gonzalez look at Daniels but dont half ass this.

Signing TO is making a commitment... to either winning or fooling the fans into filling the seats. We have been through the ladder too many times...

Come on Ralph don't half ass this.

Nighthawk
03-09-2009, 08:47 AM
This might not be the popular opinion, but getting Owens should solve a lot of problems on the offensive side of the ball. We needed another receiving target, whether it be at the TE position or at WR...well, they got a good one in T.O. In my opinion, that makes getting a TE a little less important...for this year at least. That being said, I believe they should wait until the draft to get a TE and they should be able to get a good one.

They should get a LB in here and a RB via FA...DE can easily be addressed with the #11 pick.

The King
03-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I just think about the way TE utilized Reed underneath last year. And what a legitimate TE can do for that short game. TO opens up the passing game no question, but Trent is more of a Matt Hasselbeck type QB and cant just be airing it out and going deep all game.

Historian
03-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Well...I don't want to say it was a stunt but...

After Channel 2 did a piece on the signing yesterday morning, the girl finished it by saying:

"...and the Bills will have extra staff on at the ticket office, which opens today at 9am for the expected rush."

BWAHAHA!!!

X-Era
03-09-2009, 09:04 AM
So the Bills made the unprecedented move for Terrell Owens which makes this offense a force without question. The Bills are now face to face with a choice... and this will speak volumes to fans.

Is this TO move... one to sell tickets? or one to make this team legit? The next move will tell that story.

We have all discussed it, this team needs a legitimate threat at TE, some have talked about addressing it in the draft some have mentioned Owen Daniels... but at some point we have all talked about the move and its importance. The Bills need to acquire a TE who can contribute in Week 1, and based on history the NFL draft is not going to be the place to do that. So unless Derek Fine has shown enough to be the man, we need to actively Pursue a TE. At almost any cost... look at Gonzalez look at Daniels but dont half ass this.

Signing TO is making a commitment... to either winning or fooling the fans into filling the seats. We have been through the ladder too many times...

Come on Ralph don't half ass this.
The only way I could see us "half ass" this is if we spent the rest of what we could spend.

But since we were looking at Coles and he would have been about as much, I cant think we dont have more money to spend.

No, I think we still will make moves that will help us.

I honestly see a new LG thats as good or better than Dockery. And no, its not Chambers. I think its Simmons, Waters, or maybe Bentley. I dont think we try to draft a guy.

I think it will be Simmons, but that it may not come until we can see him tryout during OTA's.

At TE, I could see the Daniels trade or even Gonzo, but I think we are more likely to draft a guy. Cook, Ingram, Nelson, Beckum all can stretch the field and add a receiving threat. Pettigrew and Coffman are no slouches but do more with brute strength vs. getting open.

At LB, I can see Peterson, Kieaho, or June... I think we will sign someone before we look to the draft. Outside of Curry, theres a big drop-off at OLB. Next your looking at Cushing, and McKenzie both can play but neither gets me that excited. Besides, I think the Bills want someone with experience. I think we sign someone.

Tatonka
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
there are way too many great receiving options at tight end in the draft to waste a 1st and 3rd on daniels.

X-Era
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
there are way too many great receiving options at tight end in the draft to waste a 1st and 3rd on daniels.

An team that spends anything more than a 2 is NUTS!!!

Chewytie
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
There are enough TE's in the draft we could still take a DE at 11 and have decent choices R2.

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Like I heard on the radio. TO can be compared to redbull. It'll get you going for some time but you'll eventually crash.

It was a desperate move by both Dick and Ralphy who went against their own beliefs.

madness
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM

The story has already been told. Trent is a texting genius. If he doesn't make it as a QB, we should put him in the FO. :snicker:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/08/offseason/index.html

The King
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Like I heard on the radio. TO can be compared to redbull. It'll get you going for some time but you'll eventually crash.

It was a desperate move by both Dick and Ralphy who went against their own beliefs.Lucky its a team sport... so its not TO's job to carry the team. All he needs to do is play his game.

Nighthawk
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

It was a desperate move by both Dick and Ralphy who went against their own beliefs.

And it was the right move...both marketing and on the football field. It's a one year deal...if it works, great...if it doesn't, so what...it made Buffalo relevant again. Excellent move by this organization.

Mski
03-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Well...I don't want to say it was a stunt but...

After Channel 2 did a piece on the signing yesterday morning, the girl finished it by saying:

"...and the Bills will have extra staff on at the ticket office, which opens today at 9am for the expected rush."

BWAHAHA!!!

exactly why it is nothing more then a stunt to sell more tickets.... and im sure its working, heck even i'm thinking about buying season tix again.... does it make the team better? yes! does Brandon know anything about football? no... Does he know how to sell out games? yes!

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
And it was the right move...both marketing and on the football field. It's a one year deal...if it works, great...if it doesn't, so what...it made Buffalo relevant again. Excellent move by this organization.
what made it right is that it's just a 1 year deal.

madness
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Are you their personal and spiritual advisor?

alohabillsfan
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I would love for the Bills to revisit getting Gonzalez again from KC

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
so its not TO's job to carry the team. All he needs to do is play his game.
Problem is, history has shown that he wants to carry teams on his shoulders to the point that it has caused problems in the locker room.

justasportsfan
03-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Are you their personal and spiritual advisor?

they don't have any.

The King
03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Problem is, history has shown that he wants to carry teams on his shoulders to the point that it has caused problems in the locker room.History has also shown TO is a beast in his first year with a team.

I also think we need to give Trent the benefit of the doubt when dealing with TO, with the exception of Steve Young I dont know if TO has played with a QB as mature and composed as Trent. McNabb, Garcia are both loose cannons with the players and media... Romo is tabloid whore.

I think Trent could prove very able to work with TO.

Philagape
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
A TE is not needed now. Evans, Owens, Reed, Hardy and Johnson provide plenty of targets.

But with one year of TO, this is the year to go balls-out crazy to get the other missing pieces NOW: DE, G, LB, backup RB.
Give KC whatever it wants for Waters. Overpay for June. Get a stud DE in the draft, even if it means moving up.
I don't want to see one cent unspent this year. Go all in. It's all about the trophy.

Michael82
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I disagree with this thread somewhat. Sure we shouldn't half ass this and we should finish up Free agency by filling the holes that will help us get to the playoffs this year. That's not a TE. With Owens, Evans, Reed, Parrish, Lynch and Jackson...we don't need a stud TE anymore. So we can afford to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft our next starting TE.

But I expect the Bills to spend the rest of the FA money to fill our holes, mainly at LG and OLB. And I have no doubt that they will. I'm predicting we will have our new starting OLB by the end of the week. We also will have our starting LG or will be working on a trade for one. This will show us fans that it's not just a stunt and that they really do want to win! :up:

LifetimeBillsFan
03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I agree with both of the last two posts.

The move now absolutely has to be to secure a better than average LG.

Then see what other pieces they can afford to fill in free agency and what they will have to go after in the draft to fill the remaining holes in their roster.

Because of his past history and age and the team's needs, signing TO for one year was the right thing to do. But, that means that the Bills will have a one year window of opportunity to see if they can get this team to the next level.

But, they won't be able to take advantage of the addition of TO and that one year window of opportunity if Trent Edwards doesn't have time to look downfield when they call a deep route (something Schonert said happened often last year) and is spending half of his time on his butt or getting hit when he throws the ball. They have to protect TE and to do that they MUST solidify the interior of their offensive line. Period.

And, right now the Bills are two players short at the interior line positions. Four interior linemen from last year's squad are gone: Dockery, Fowler, Preston and Whittle. Only Hangartner has been brought in to replace them so far. Even if you count Chambers as a possible interior lineman--assuming that they believe that D.Bell has made enough progress to be able to play as a backup at OT and not just be a developmental project again--that still leaves them needing to add two players before training camp opens.

One of those two players can come from the draft, but the Bills can't count on being able to get the kind of solid play needed from a rookie interior lineman, no matter how highly rated. They must add a veteran at LG, either through free agency or a trade. And doing that must be their first priority.

With the 11th pick in the draft it is likely that the Bills will be able to fill three of their pressing needs, DE, TE and one of the two interior offensive lineman, in the draft, which is deep at TE and C and where the OG talent is not considered good enough to start coming off the board until the second or maybe even late second or third round.

That being the case, a veteran back-up RB and an upgrade at OLB are positions that the Bills may just have to wait to address until after they acquire a LG and get Peters signed to a contract extension. Depending on what it will cost them to get those two latter things accomplished, they may be forced to go cheap (for those of you who think that the Bills FO is cheap to begin with, I'm talking cheap even for them!) in trying to address these two positions. That may mean trying to "wait out the market" until there is no market left for a player that they are interested in and he is willing to sign with them just to be able to play for someone (because fewer teams are playing the Tampa 2 defense, this could happen with one of the OLBs, like June or Keiaho).

I'd like to see the Bills upgrade the OLB position and add a TE who can factor in the running and passing game, but right now the Bills have a gaping hole at LG that MUST be filled with the best player possible and IMHO that has to be the team's first priority now in free agency.

Historian
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
exactly why it is nothing more then a stunt to sell more tickets...

You're going to add additional staff to handle the "flood" of people that are going to show up at 9 am in the first week of March, simply because the Bills signed a 35 year old Wide receiver?

Please.

DynaPaul
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah, TO will add strength to our passing game but let's not fool ourselves here. Has everyone already forgotten last year? The TO signing is mainly a stunt, plain and simple. I'm disappointed to see so many people already drinking the kool-aid.

Nighthawk
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, TO will add strength to our passing game but let's not fool ourselves here. Has everyone already forgotten last year? The TO signing is mainly a stunt, plain and simple. I'm disappointed to see so many people already drinking the kool-aid.

There is no doubt that this is a move to sell tickets. However, I'm OK with it because it also makes football sense.

shelby
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
i freaking LOVE Kool Aid!!!!!!!1

:madhop: