• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

John Wendling

Why doesn't John Wendling seem to get a fair shake at the SS spot?

Out of all of our safeties, he's my favorite.

I think him at SS and Donte at FS would be good.

If anybody has an opinion on this I'd love to hear it.

I may just be a Wendling homer after watching him leap over garbage cans in training camp last year, but how this guy isn't on the field more is beyond me. Esp. now that it's his 3rd year.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: John Wendling

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
    I may just be a Wendling homer after watching him leap over garbage cans in training camp last year, but how this guy isn't on the field more is beyond me. Esp. now that it's his 3rd year.

Could be because there are no garbage cans on the field.

One of our garbage tends to keep moving due to his high motor so it'll be hard for Wendling to jump over Kelsay.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 03-09-2009, 11:26 AM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Feb 2009

well, he was simulating a center on a field goal.

they were practicing having john weldling, jump over the linemen, and block the kick.

the dude is a freak athlete, a smart player, and a buffalo bill. so i'm a fan.

i just wonder, if whitner goes FS, is scott really a better options than wendling? i'm not sure of that. at least not 100% of the snaps.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
        well, he was simulating a center on a field goal.

they were practicing having john weldling, jump over the linemen, and block the kick.

the dude is a freak athlete, a smart player, and a buffalo bill. so i'm a fan.

i just wonder, if whitner goes FS, is scott really a better options than wendling? i'm not sure of that. at least not 100% of the snaps.

He's good at ST but I can't be a fan of someone who can't even beat KO simpson or Wilson for the job.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

There is no question John Wendling is something of an athletic freak, but we don't have the privilege of witnessing practice week in and week out. Maybe the coaching staff is seeing something that makes them reluctant to play him at safety, though he is a special teams demon. I thought when he was drafted he might have a chance to develop as a safety. I'm disappointed, but I have no idea who to point the finger at. I think this year is probably his last chance to prove he can play safety. I don't think the Bills should keep him on the roster if they don't trust him to play safety some. They need someone who can play special teams and another position.
          Last edited by TigerJ; 03-09-2009, 01:28 PM.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Feb 2009

Well if nothing else then I'd like to see him out on the field occasionally.

Lets at least see what he can do. It took them how long to give Fred Jackson some playing time?

I know us amateurs were clamoring for Fred long before he actually saw the field in the regular season.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

this is something I'll be watching going into preseason. I might be like you, but I do see him as a wild card, someone with all the athletic potential that might be able to turn into quite a ball hawk.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

I think Wendling lacks in coverage, otherwise i really like him and his attributes
                he has a ton of speed too
                would be worth giving a long look in the preseason
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

I still think they should convert him to linebacker, especially if they stick with the cover 2.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

seeing that our coaching staff keeps some of our best players on the sideline to develop (Jackson, johnson), i don't trust them with anything they see. They played hardy instead of johnson last year. They played freaking Atrain before Jackson.

seeing talent and utilizing talent is not this coaching staff's greatest strength.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                      H to the 12:20
                      • Jul 2002

...not to mention how much I wish Jim Leonard was still a Bill.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Aug 2004

I am another one who is confused and disappointed that John Wendling hasn't been given more of an opportunity to play at one of the safety positions. I know that he came out of Wyoming and that there was a learning curve for him coming into the NFL and understand that the Bills tend not to want to play some of their key ST players that much on defense, but with Wendling's speed and athleticism it is hard to understand why he wasn't given some playing time when injuries had reduced their defensive backfield to the point where Dustin Fox was seeing action at safety.

But, like Tiger J said in his post above, we don't get to see what goes on in practice and in the classroom sessions that they have, so there is a lot about this that we don't know.

Still, as much as I like Scott, I'd like to see what he can do at the strong safety position.
                        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                          • Jul 2002

I would like to see what he can do as well. He is a freakish athlete, but maybe pass coverage is his weakness. I think this preseason will be his best chance to show what he can do at safety.

Comment

Working...
                          X