PDA

View Full Version : Vikings notes: Rookie punter shows off strong leg

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-13-2003, 12:37 AM
The "ohhhhs" and "ahhhhhs" were audible from any place you stood on the Winter Park practice field Saturday during special teams drills.

Vikings rookie punter Eddie Johnson, the team's sixth-round draft choice, was displaying the strong leg that has made him the early front-runner to win the job in training camp.

"That guy has a cannon in his leg," said running back Michael Bennett as he watched Johnson's practice punts soar over the head of returners.

"He has just got exceptional leg strength," coach Mike Tice said. "You can hear the ball come off his foot. It sounds like a shotgun blast each time."

Johnson averaged 46 yards per punt in two seasons at Idaho State, leading the nation with a 46.3-yard average in 2001. He will compete this summer against Nick Murphy, who spent time last year in Vikings training camp and is currently in NFL Europe.

"I feel like I haven't disappointed anybody yet," Johnson said, "so I feel like I've done OK. . . . I'm here to compete, and I know I've got to get better."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/3876339.html