PDA

View Full Version : Priest peps up crowd

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Chiefs fans already know that Priest Holmes can be entertaining with a football. Now they know that he can be just as crowd-pleasing with a microphone.

At the conclusion of Saturday morning's minicamp practice, Holmes turned half-preacher, half-rap artist by firing up the 2,493 Chiefs fans in attendance with a rousing pep talk.

The crowd gave its biggest roar when Holmes promised that he would be his normal hard-to-tackle self when the season opens Sept. 7 against San Diego.

After taking the microphone and exhorting the crowd to "pump it up, pump it up" while waving his arms, Holmes got really excited.

"Now, I hear there's a lot of questions going on out there and I'm going to tell my fans, don't be dismayed, don't be confused, don't be led astray. 'Cause we're coming this year, in 2003."

"Now, I've heard even more questions about (head coach) Dick Vermeil. It's the third year. Where's the championship? I've heard about a guy Priest Holmes. How's the hip? I ain't going nowhere baby. I'm right here. And we're winning this year. Let's go."

Holmes, who was dressed in sweat pants and a practice jersey with his No. 31, will not take part in the minicamp but should be healthy in time for training camp according to Chiefs officials.

Quarterback Trent Green, who went through the rehabilitation process with a surgically repaired knee in 2001, said the most important thing is for Holmes to be ready in time for the season opener.

"I've talked to him several times and he seems very confident that he's going to be back," Green said. "With his work ethic and the way he trains, he's going to do everything he has to do... The thing I've tried to stress to him is getting ready for Sept. 7 -- the game against San Diego. That's when you want to be 100 percent."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/5833382.htm