• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

I still think this team will finish with less than 8 wins

Now that I have had a day and half to think about the signing of TO, I really am leaning being opposed to it. Why you might ask? I don't think he will make the team significantly better.

Prior to the signing, I was expecting a 3-13 season. With TO, I think 4 or maybe 5 wins is possible. But no more than that. There are still way too many holes on this team to be much better. Let's look at the gaping holes and problems this team has.

1. Pass rushing defensive end. There are non available in free agency. The help available in the draft is limited. Orakpo will likely be gone before 11. Brown and Maybin need to be in a 3-4. Ayers is not worth the #11 pick and might be around in round 2, and likely will not be a significant help in year 1 regardless. I don't see how they can fill this need adequately.

2. OLB - Keiaho and June are OK, but nothing great. Better than Ellison? Sure. Difference makers or above average? Not really. Once again, the one guy worth the #11 pick, Aaron Curry, will be long gone so the draft is not going to help. I don't see how they can fill this need adequately.

3. Left guard - This spot at least has a chance of being filled. Kendall Simmons, if healthy, would help. Brian Waters, if affordable in terms of money and trade compensation, would be an upgrade. But nobody knows for sure if he is available. Or what he would want for money. With a Peters extension still being worked on, how much can the Bills give him?

4. SS - Bryan Scott is OK. And maybe he can start for one year. He is great for a mid-season pick-up but is only an average player and his coverage skills leave something to be desired. Once again, there are not many FA's out there to help (say no to Roy Williams!) and rookie SS’s are not ideal.

5. TE - No help in FA. The draft is the only chance. I do think the Bills can get help here. Whether it is Cook, Nelson or Coffman I hope they take somebody. If Pettigrew falls to the 2nd round somehow, that might be ideal. Regardless, it will be a position manned by a rookie, a 2nd year guy and 3rd year guy who was a 7th round pick.

6. Interior O-line depth – I guess this can be addressed. I am not opposed to Preston returning. But right now there is nobody.

7. RB (to replace Lynch for 2-4 games) – The Bills clearly do not have confidence in Omon. Who will back-up Jackson for those games? DaShaun Foster? Ugh. I would rather go with Omon. Foster is done. And what happens when/if Jackson or Lynch get injured?

8. WR - Yes. I know. They just signed TO. But receivers usually hit the wall, sometimes very quickly, at age 35. Can he still play? Can he get off press coverage? Why did not other teams go after him? Is he really still capable of being TO?

10. The likelihood that there will not be a “need” player worth the #11 pick. Orakpo will likely be gone. Curry will be gone. Crabtree will be a tough sell since they signed TO. The Bills will likely face a choice of taking Raji (which would be fine), one of the OT’s (Smith, Oher or Monroe – also fine), reaching for a guy (Yuck!) or hoping somebody wants to trade up. I also think Jenkins is possible, but if they draft a CB, even with his talents, I am staying away from his place for a month!

11. The head coach. Jauron is still the HC. He will still be making gameday decisions. He will still be calling time-outs. He will still not make proper challenges. He will still make baffling clock management decisions. And so on.

12. The schedule. Much more difficult than last year. And they were 7-9 last year after starting 5-1. So they finished 2-8, losing to teams like Cleveland and San Francisco. The team needs to be much better, just to go 7-9 again.

13. The TO attitude. Sure he has been good in year 1 before. But he is older and less patient. He is also not playing for a bad team for the first time in his career. How will he react to a 0-3 start? How will he react to 5 wide on 1st and goal from the 2? To wasted time-outs? I can see him exploding and dividing this team much sooner than he has in the past.

14. The improved AFC East – Miami is much better. The Patriots are still the Pats. Both are better than the Bills. The Bills should split with the Jets. But 1-5 in the AFC East (2-4 maybe) will not get it done.

In short, TO would be great if this team was closer. I had thought they would contend for the 1st overall pick. But TO, even if he still can play, will only bump them up one or two wins. I still think they are a bottom 5 team. I just can’t get myself all up in the hype of signing a 35 year old receiver with a big mouth and larger ego. It took me 36 hours, but my enthusiasm has subsided.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: I still think this team will finish with less than8 wins

It all depends on how Trent and TO are able to gel at the soonest possible time. If it takes time we're screwed. I'm not even impressed yet with Trent and Lee's chemistry.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• billsfanone
      Majored in Home Economics
      • Sep 2008

Re: I still think this team will finish with less than 8 wins

You're right. TO can't play DE, LB and FS (or SS) too.

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

I still think you ate too much shrimp on the barbie.

Comment

• soapman
          • Jan 2008

Such a nay-sayer. BILL-ieve already. Every team in the league has holes. You can't say just because we have holes on the team we can't get the job done. At the end of the afternoon, they still have to line up in play. We have holes yes, but gaping holes? No. Last year, had we been able to score, the same defense, minus Greer, held most opponents under 20 points. The OC was in his first year, the offense just wasn't very good. Teams evolve, coaches evolve, players evolve. You'll be surprised I think at the end of this next season.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Too many negative nancy's

*GROAN*

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Im right there with you Doc, all TO does is give us a couple more wins, imo we are still a worse team than last year at this point.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DrGraves
                • Mar 2008

Dr. Graves says: Get your popcorn ready Dr. Lecter!!!!! With T.O. drawing all the extra attention in the secondary, Lee Evans will be running wild... not to mention that Marshawn and Freddy will no longer be facing 8 in the box... not to mention that Peters will actually be ready to go from day one... not to mention Josh Reed will be back at his natural slot position... not to mention that FA is not over... not to mention we have the #11 pick in the draft... not to mention we have the best fan base in the NFL... Look out (North) America... THE BILLS ARE BACK!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                  Too many negative nancy's

*GROAN*

the team created these nancies by playing like nancies all these years.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

We are going to suck so why sign anybody?

/sarcasm off

Let's suck and sign scrubs so we can complain about how Ralph is cheap.
                    Last edited by TacklingDummy; 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

it really depends on if lynch gets 4 games and what we do with the TE and LG spot. i am fine with the defense getting Schobel back and odis starting.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                        We are going to suck so why sign anybody?

/sarcasm off

Let's suck and sign scrubs so we can complain about how Ralph is cheap.
                        Huh?
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

I still think our biggest problem is being badly outcoached most Sundays the last 10 years. We still have a coaching staff I highly question.

Add on all the lineup shortages this off-season plus a far more difficult schedule and this looks like a 5-7 win team on paper.

It can change with some additional positive roster additions and a ton of luck but our recent history proves otherwise.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DrGraves
                            • Mar 2008

TD is just saying that no matter what the Front Office does the fans will never be happy..

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

I agree we have holes, but at least we have something to grasp onto now..

Comment

Working...
                              X