PDA

View Full Version : VIKINGS REPORT: Next up: Kleinsasser

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Now that they have locked up quarterback Daunte Culpepper with a 10-year, $102 million contract, the Vikings can turn their attention to securing Jim Kleinsasser.

The Vikings and Kleinsasser were unable to reach a contract agreement, and the team put a franchise tag on their tight end on Feb. 20. It means Kleinsasser will earn $3.05 million, the average salary of the five highest-paid tight ends in the NFL, in 2003 if the sides don't reach a contract agreement. No deal was reached before mid-March, and by the rules of the collective bargaining agreement, negotiations cannot resume until July 15.

Kleinsasser isn't letting off-field matters interfere with his preparations on the field.

"I'm here right now for at least one more year," he said. "I'm just going with that. All I can control is what I do in the weight room and out in practice. We have a grace period before we can even talk again, so it really hasn't entered my head."

Kleinsasser had his best statistical season last year, catching 37 passes for 393 yards and a touchdown. His blocking is a key to the Vikings' offense.

"When you have Chris Liwienski and Bryant McKinnie on the left side of the offensive line, then add Kleinsasser there, you can get a lot done with that group," Vikings coach Mike Tice said.

Kleinsasser, the team's second-round draft pick in 1999, weighs 274 pounds and is adept at creating running room for the Vikings' running backs.

"Coming out of the huddle all you're going to see is a huge line coming at you," Kleinsasser said. "We have Mike Rosenthal at the end of the line on the right side, and McKinnie on the left. Then you think we have Matt Birk, Liwienski and big David Dixon in the middle, and you just go, 'Wow, there's a lot of beef up there.' We're going to do a lot of good things this year."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/5833620.htm