PDA

View Full Version : Cancer or benefit

northernbillfan
03-10-2009, 08:39 AM
One simple question that is in everyone's mind right now is whether TO will be a cnacer in the locker room or a benefit.

We know he has a big mouth and he has a tendancy to speak first before thinking. Just look at what he did to Romo last season with his "Just get me the ball and I'll win you games" mentality and public announcement.

Do you think TO will be an asset in the locker room or a cancer? How will TOs words impact Trent's preformance on the field? Will he bad mouth the team and the organization to a point where he gets benched?

I look at this as a fresh start for TO and he may watch his words with more caution this season.

justasportsfan
03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
It all depends. TO is most likely hoping to behave for one year and become productive so he can earn big bucks next year.

If Trent however doesn't help TO's cause and doesn't throw to him, I smell cancer of the mouth.

Mr. Pink
03-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Without a doubt benefit.

In all the ways he'll improve the on field product, he improves the business aspect ten fold.

Plus, as we've seen with his history, he's usually well behaved his first year. On top of the fact, he is probably going to try and use this to get one more big money deal in FA next year.

It's a win win for everyone.

trapezeus
03-10-2009, 09:02 AM
i don't see the bills as a healthy team prior to TO coming. So i really have a tough time that owens will make it worse than it already was.

If he:
1. Plays hard (like he always does) and gets along with his teammates for the sake of winning and getting a new contract
2. Attracts other FA to come and not see Buffalo as their last option
3. makes gameday exciting by scoring and playing to the crowd

its going to be a lot of fun.

If on the other hand he:
1.implodes because no one is getting him the ball
2. he is dropping even more passes
3. talks poorly about the fanbase/city
4. gets into trent's head
5. pulls a classic stunt that requires him to be dismissed.
I would say it would scar us, but truth be known, we've been scarred more from the last 9 seasons that whatever 2009 can throw at us.

northernbillfan
03-10-2009, 09:17 AM
i don't see the bills as a healthy team prior to TO coming. So i really have a tough time that owens will make it worse than it already was.

If he:
1. Plays hard (like he always does) and gets along with his teammates for the sake of winning and getting a new contract
2. Attracts other FA to come and not see Buffalo as their last option
3. makes gameday exciting by scoring and playing to the crowd

its going to be a lot of fun.

If on the other hand he:
1.implodes because no one is getting him the ball
2. he is dropping even more passes
3. talks poorly about the fanbase/city
4. gets into trent's head
5. pulls a classic stunt that requires him to be dismissed.
I would say it would scar us, but truth be known, we've been scarred more from the last 9 seasons that whatever 2009 can throw at us.That's what makes me scared about the TO deal. I hope he becomes the player in the first scenario, but more often than not he has become the player in the second situation. I think he'll be fine this season.

kgun12
03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Farve did nothing to help the jets for his one year visit, actually set them back and TO won't either. Even if he is a model player like his M.O. show for the first year with his new team, he is one year older and going to cost a lot more, and we know what happens at the start of year 2!

As far as bringing the national spotlight to the Bills, it makes me laugh. Are we that thinned skinned? Besides, develop a good system, draft well, bringing in quality Fa's that you don't over pay, getting a good coach that can coach the system paying him well and you will win and that's how you get national attention! Oh wait that's the small town Pitts burg Steelers and for the young guys, that was the Bills of the 90's, and did you older guys forget? Signing schizophrenic players to gain the national spotlight and being happy that we get him for the first year (when he's good) is crazy! We should have paid for the services of TJ Hush for 3-4 years. That would have help Evans and Trent and the Bills! Having to walk on eggshells and trying to make TO happy for a year won't!

For any good that might come out of this for one year, it does nothing for us in the long run!

BTW when were good in the 90's we didn't have any problems bring in quaity FA's!

Kenny
03-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I think the benefit outweighs any negative aspect.

The way I see it, the Bills are dying a slow and painful death anways. Adding an additional treatment that may or may not add in 'cancer'... I mean would it really matter?
If it works, we're cured. If it doenst... then so what? We're dying anyways.

kgun12
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I think the benefit outweighs any negative aspect.

The way I see it, the Bills are dying a slow and painful death anways. Adding an additional treatment that may or may not add in 'cancer'... I mean would it really matter?
If it works, we're cured. If it doenst... then so what? We're dying anyways.

How are we dying a slow death? Even with 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons, the Bills have soldout 42 of the last 45 games! We had by Clump's account $39 million to spend at the start of FA. We didn't get any of the top tier players for 2 reasons. We always try to low ball them and we have a lame duck coach!

northernbillfan
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
As far as bringing the national spotlight to the Bills, it makes me laugh. Are we that thinned skinned? Besides, develop a good system, draft well, bringing in quality Fa's that you don't over pay, getting a good coach that can coach the system paying him well and you will win and that's how you get national attention! Oh wait that's the small town Pitts burg Steelers and for the young guys, that was the Bills of the 90's, and did you older guys forget? Signing schizophrenic players to gain the national spotlight and being happy that we get him for the first year (when he's good) is crazy! We should have paid for the services of TJ Hush for 3-4 years. That would have help Evans and Trent and the Bills! Having to walk on eggshells and trying to make TO happy for a year won't!:bf1: I couldn't have said it better.

northernbillfan
03-10-2009, 10:13 AM
How are we dying a slow death? Even with 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons, the Bills have soldout 42 of the last 45 games! We had by Clump's account $39 million to spend at the start of FA. We didn't get any of the top tier players for 2 reasons. We always try to low ball them and we have a lame duck coach!Don't you mean lame dick?

topher180
03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
He's a cancer....but he's OUR cancer dammit!!!!

kgun12
03-10-2009, 12:44 PM
He's a cancer....but he's OUR cancer dammit!!!!

lol, but you realize that cancer spreads, don't you?

justasportsfan
03-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Dick runs a tight ship. He won't allow TO to point fingers. Only Trent is allowed to that to Turk .

ParanoidAndroid
03-10-2009, 01:20 PM
lol, but you realize that cancer spreads, don't you?

I just checked my lymph nodes. I'm okay.

Seriously though, T.O. is going to make the Bills some money and that's exactly what the franchise needs. It needs a shot in the arm. He'll also make the offense better. He produces and he puts on a show, plain and simple.

Why do you think ESPN focuses on him? People like to be entertained and will pay money for it. ESPN knows almost the entire city of Buffalo and everybody within a hundred miles was watching for hours hoping to hear and see more on Saturday night.

We get some limelight, create a buzz around the "North America's Team" marketing scheme, and we might get to keep the team right where it is after Ralphie checks out. Tell me you didn't see the potential when "North America's Team" came out of T.O.'s mouth. I think I saw dollar signs glimmer off his teeth.

Chewytie
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I think I saw dollar signs glimmer off his teeth.

Actually i think he stole Marshawn's 'Beast Mode' grille for the press conference.

kgun12
03-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Seriously though, T.O. is going to make the Bills some money and that's exactly what the franchise needs. It needs a shot in the arm. He'll also make the offense better. He produces and he puts on a show, plain and simple.

How is that? The NFL shares moneys from merchandise sales, and the Bills have soldout there last 42-45 games. Even 3 7-9 seasons. So where else is TO going to generate money?

Why do you think ESPN focuses on him? People like to be entertained and will pay money for it. ESPN knows almost the entire city of Buffalo and everybody within a hundred miles was watching for hours hoping to hear and see more on Saturday night.

We get some limelight, create a buzz around the "North America's Team" marketing scheme, and we might get to keep the team right where it is after Ralphie checks out. Tell me you didn't see the potential when "North America's Team" came out of T.O.'s mouth. I think I saw dollar signs glimmer off his teeth.

Like I said before bring in the right FA's drafting well and basically do what we did in the 90's and the steelers have done forever, keep you on ESPN, people entertained, get some limelight (if that's really important), I really don't need the Bills to be in the "spotlight" just for the sake of being in the spotlight. What the rest of the league of nation thinks really doesn't matter to me and I don't need to be there cause we sign a schizophrenic egomaniac. As far as keeping the Bills here after Ralph passes, I know folks have gone gaga over him, but how is TO going to help do that? I think that's taking things a little too far!

justasportsfan
03-10-2009, 01:52 PM

last year it was toronto. Now it's T.O. What about next year? Seriously if Ralph has to cry poverty every year, tell him to sell the team. The dork won't even bother selling the stadium name rights and yet poor him.

ParanoidAndroid
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
last year it was toronto. Now it's T.O. What about next year? Seriously if Ralph has to cry poverty every year, tell him to sell the team. The dork won't even bother selling the stadium name rights and yet poor him.

Hmmm...

Last year it was TORONTO

This year it is TO

Maybe next year, we'll play a game in Mexico......TORO!

I think you may be ONTO something!

"Can I hear ya say: Make money money, make money money!"

shelby
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
i can sum this situation up nicely in one sentence.

Realistically speaking, the Bills have nothing to lose by signing TO to a one year deal.

kgun12
03-10-2009, 02:41 PM
i can sum this situation up nicely in one sentence.

Realistically speaking, the Bills have nothing to lose by signing TO to a one year deal.

...and not much to gain. The whole idea is to make this team better. Look at the Jets, they are worse off now, because they lost a whole year to develop the next QB. We should be looking to build a strong team for a couple of years to compete for a SB. Not for the instant gratification of being in the limelight or selling a few jersey's. The ticket sales is a mute point, like I said before, we don't have trouble sellout game with the crap we put on the field now. Just think if we drought in quality players that would help build a strong team and a chance at the SB!

If being on ESPN is the most important thing for this team and city, then mission accomplished!

Lynch had us on ESPN for awhile also, but are either of these players the right reasons to be getting national attention on ESPN for the Long range good of this team?

shelby
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Do me a favor, kgun, and read Trent's comments about TO. Keep in mind, Trent suggested that the Bills try to sign TO:

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/602768.html

kgun12
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Do me a favor, kgun, and read Trent's comments about TO. Keep in mind, Trent suggested that the Bills try to sign TO:

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/602768.html

Do me a favor and look up the statements by McNabb and Romo when they signed him. McNabb went to the team on TO's behalf also.

shelby the guy is a great reciever, but he causes more problems then his worth.

northernbillfan
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Do me a favor and look up the statements by McNabb and Romo when they signed him. McNabb went to the team on TO's behalf also.

shelby the guy is a great reciever, but he causes more problems then his worth.That's what I'm afraid of.

Dozerdog
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
TO is like smoking cigarettes.

Cancer? You bet

Look cool? To some people

But we already stink so smoking could only help us

Mr. Pink
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Farve did nothing to help the jets for his one year visit, actually set them back and TO won't either. Even if he is a model player like his M.O. show for the first year with his new team, he is one year older and going to cost a lot more, and we know what happens at the start of year 2!

As far as bringing the national spotlight to the Bills, it makes me laugh. Are we that thinned skinned? Besides, develop a good system, draft well, bringing in quality Fa's that you don't over pay, getting a good coach that can coach the system paying him well and you will win and that's how you get national attention! Oh wait that's the small town Pitts burg Steelers and for the young guys, that was the Bills of the 90's, and did you older guys forget? Signing schizophrenic players to gain the national spotlight and being happy that we get him for the first year (when he's good) is crazy! We should have paid for the services of TJ Hush for 3-4 years. That would have help Evans and Trent and the Bills! Having to walk on eggshells and trying to make TO happy for a year won't!

For any good that might come out of this for one year, it does nothing for us in the long run!

BTW when were good in the 90's we didn't have any problems bring in quaity FA's!

Favre did plenty of good for the Jets franchise...

The value of it went up thanks to him being there, why?

More revenue.

Same thing will happen here with the signing of T.O. it'll up the value of the franchise due to more revenue coming in.

In business, sometimes you need to see that a move of this stature is better for you in the long term regardless of what it does to the football team.

Besides...T.O. has always been a model citizen in year 1, wherever he went. The same thing will happen here. He's using us to get one last big payday and we're using him to up the value of the franchise. Especially when there were so many people disillusioned with keeping Dick around, you make that one splashy move and people come back in droves.

As well as help us win a couple more games.

Kenny
03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
How are we dying a slow death? Even with 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons, the Bills have soldout 42 of the last 45 games! We had by Clump's account $39 million to spend at the start of FA. We didn't get any of the top tier players for 2 reasons. We always try to low ball them and we have a lame duck coach!

oh come on... We havent made the playoffs in the past 9 years. We couldnt even make it when we started with a 5-1 record AND one of the easiest schedules in the league! I mean other than the Texans, has there been another team in the league with a longer drought?
Next to the Lions, we're the laughing stock of the league.

And dont even talk to me about sellouts. Ralph doesnt care, otherwise he wouldnt have made the Toronto deal.

What really do we have to lose? Even if TO tears the locker room apart, it'll most likely beacuse of another losing (and embarassing) season. Meaning we'd have to rebuild again anyways. I mean, other than Peters, there really isnt a single player on this team who I think is 'franchise' material anyways.

So again.... what's there to lose?

kgun12
03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
oh come on... We havent made the playoffs in the past 9 years. We couldnt even make it when we started with a 5-1 record AND one of the easiest schedules in the league! I mean other than the Texans, has there been another team in the league with a longer drought?
Next to the Lions, we're the laughing stock of the league.

And don't even talk to me about sellouts. Ralph doesn't care, otherwise he wouldn't have made the Toronto deal.

What really do we have to lose? Even if TO tears the locker room apart, it'll most likely because of another losing (and embarrassing) season. Meaning we'd have to rebuild again anyways. I mean, other than Peters, there really isn't a single player on this team who I think is 'franchise' material anyways.

So again.... what's there to lose?

Again We haven't made the playoffs cause we don't bring in quality FA and have had too many crappy coaches! What part of that is untrue? I hate to break it to you, but other than the folks on this site and a few reporter we still are the laughing stock because of the signing. I am getting emails from friends all over the country, and friends around home laughing there asses off at the TO signing. Most of the country's reporters are beating the crap out of us!

As far as sellouts I said nothing about Ralph caring, the FACT is people are paying for an inferior product regardless of our record, so signing TO doesn't help our ticket sales.

As far as your last statement about what we have to lose, your right the answer is we rebuild again and that's my point. Why pick up someone for one year, he isn't helping our ticket sales, he isn't going to make Juron make better decisions, in fact he could pressure him into making worse ones. We are getting laughed at by signing him. MAYBE JUST MAYBE it would have been better for the long term health of this team to after quality players that could help this team for a long time! Not a 1 yea wonder that we have to worry about messing us up even worse than we already are.

Kenny
03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Again We haven't made the playoffs cause we don't bring in quality FA and have had too many crappy coaches! What part of that is untrue? I hate to break it to you, but other than the folks on this site and a few reporter we still are the laughing stock because of the signing. I am getting emails from friends all over the country, and friends around home laughing there asses off at the TO signing. Most of the country's reporters are beating the crap out of us!

As far as sellouts I said nothing about Ralph caring, the FACT is people are paying for an inferior product regardless of our record, so signing TO doesn't help our ticket sales.

As far as your last statement about what we have to lose, your right the answer is we rebuild again and that's my point. Why pick up someone for one year, he isn't helping our ticket sales, he isn't going to make Juron make better decisions, in fact he could pressure him into making worse ones. We are getting laughed at by signing him. MAYBE JUST MAYBE it would have been better for the long term health of this team to after quality players that could help this team for a long time! Not a 1 yea wonder that we have to worry about messing us up even worse than we already are.

I still dont get your point? You agree with me that we're the laughing stock of the league, and then you agree that we may have to rebuild. So what's there to lose with TO?

And your statement about a 1year wonder that "we have to worry about messing us up even worse..."... I dont see how that's relevant if we have to rebuild in the near future anyways? The negative aspects are so small, and but what if... what if we start winning?

kgun12
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I still dont get your point? You agree with me that we're the laughing stock of the league, and then you agree that we may have to rebuild. So what's there to lose with TO?

And your statement about a 1year wonder that "we have to worry about messing us up even worse..."... I dont see how that's relevant if we have to rebuild in the near future anyways? The negative aspects are so small, and but what if... what if we start winning?

Slow down and look back on the entire thread. If you read post #6 this is what I said

"As far as bringing the national spotlight to the Bills, it makes me laugh. Are we that thinned skinned? Besides, develop a good system, draft well, bringing in quality Fa's that you don't over pay, getting a good coach that can coach the system paying him well and you will win and that's how you get national attention! Oh wait that's the small town Pittsburg Steelers and for the young guys, that was the Bills of the 90's, and did you older guys forget? Signing schizophrenic players to gain the national spotlight and being happy that we get him for the first year (when he's good) is crazy! We should have paid for the services of TJ Hush for 3-4 years. That would have help Evans and Trent and the Bills! Having to walk on eggshells and trying to make TO happy for a year won't!"

...and it doesn't. Look what I said about developing a good system drafting, coaches and FA. Signing TO doesn't do anything for us, but put all that off another year. It has worked for Pittsburg and it can work for us. Reaching in the draft, signin second tier FA and now TO isn't how you build a team. What I said about being a laughing stock is because all of the above, the TO signing is laughable to the outside world because of the rediculousness of the signing. We have had money to spend over the years, had 39 Million to spend this year, as always watched a lot of starting quality need players go to other teams and we sign this schizophrenic. Yes that's pretty laughable! However Buffalo fans are so thinned skins and strved for attention not only do we embrace this signing, we downplay just how badly he hurt the 3 other teams he played for and we are defending him.

As far as the one year wonder, like I said in post #6, bring in quality top tier players that are sign for 3-4 years, and build a team to compete, not give us laughable media attention for being idiots!

Hope that clear it up, if not, don't know what to tell you. Enjoy him for a year and wait for the rebuilding to begin next year, which should have start last year or this year. Man Bills fans say wait til next year alot. 39 million we could have done started this year.

Kenny
03-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Look what I said about developing a good system drafting, coaches and FA. Signing TO doesn't do anything for us, but put all that off another year. It has worked for Pittsburg and it can work for us. Reaching in the draft, signin second tier FA and now TO isn't how you build a team. What I said about being a laughing stock is because all of the above, the TO signing is laughable to the outside world because of the rediculousness of the signing. We have had money to spend over the years, had 39 Million to spend this year, as always watched a lot of starting quality need players go to other teams and we sign this schizophrenic. Yes that's pretty laughable! However Buffalo fans are so thinned skins and strved for attention not only do we embrace this signing, we downplay just how badly he hurt the 3 other teams he played for and we are defending him.

As far as the one year wonder, like I said in post #6, bring in quality top tier players that are sign for 3-4 years, and build a team to compete, not give us laughable media attention for being idiots!

Hope that clear it up, if not, don't know what to tell you. Enjoy him for a year and wait for the rebuilding to begin next year, which should have start last year or this year. Man Bills fans say wait til next year alot. 39 million we could have done started this year.

"Look what I said about developing a good system drafting, coaches and FA. Signing TO doesn't do anything for us, but put all that off another year."

Look, it's all good in principle, but we've been trying to do that for what? the past 5 years or so? Has it worked? NO
If you think we're going to be much better with the same roster that we had last season, you're seriously mistaken. If you think bringing in Hangartner, and the rookies we pick up from the draft this season is going to prevent us from rebuilding if we get embarassed this season... you're seriously mistaken.

If Dick & Co. are gone after this season, and the players on this team dont play well this season (which will most likely be the case if the team plays at a level which forces Jauron's firing), do you really think the new coaching regime wont change the players on our team? Of course they will.

We've been out of the playoffs for the past 9 years. The system you've described, as the Bills have currently played out, has led us to 'superstars' like Kelsay and Denney. To the JP debacle. To the McCargo Debacle. To the Mike Williams debacle.
The Bills are not a playoff calibre team. If that one guy we bring in (TO) can help, then great. If not, then so what?

mercyrule
03-13-2009, 09:35 AM

We get some limelight, create a buzz around the "North America's Team" marketing scheme, and we might get to keep the team right where it is after Ralphie checks out. Tell me you didn't see the potential when "North America's Team" came out of T.O.'s mouth. I think I saw dollar signs glimmer off his teeth.I don't see much of a downside. And the whole "cancer" thing, in general, is just so much crap.

kgun12
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
"Look what I said about developing a good system drafting, coaches and FA. Signing TO doesn't do anything for us, but put all that off another year."

Look, it's all good in principle, but we've been trying to do that for what? the past 5 years or so? Has it worked? NO
If you think we're going to be much better with the same roster that we had last season, you're seriously mistaken. If you think bringing in Hangartner, and the rookies we pick up from the draft this season is going to prevent us from rebuilding if we get embarassed this season... you're seriously mistaken.

If Dick & Co. are gone after this season, and the players on this team dont play well this season (which will most likely be the case if the team plays at a level which forces Jauron's firing), do you really think the new coaching regime wont change the players on our team? Of course they will.

We've been out of the playoffs for the past 9 years. The system you've described, as the Bills have currently played out, has led us to 'superstars' like Kelsay and Denney. To the JP debacle. To the McCargo Debacle. To the Mike Williams debacle.
The Bills are not a playoff calibre team. If that one guy we bring in (TO) can help, then great. If not, then so what?

Are you on drugs? I have been beating up the decisions we have been making in regards to players brought in this whole thread. I have stated that we need to spend money on better players and a better coach and stop bring in 2nd tier players and worthless coaches. So to answer your question again, NO the players on this roster and the second tier G/C won't help! But again I have said this throughout the thread!

Again I think you are having trouble with comprehension, because everything you said in the quote makes my point! I say again, we have been out of the playoff for 9 years, I am not defending our system, but the exact opposite! Our system of bad FA signings, the coaching carousel and a bad front office has is and will be the problem. The point was Pittsburgh is a small market like Buffalo, yet they have a system where they scout hard, draft good kids, WILL NOT overpay to keep good players, fill the wholes mostly from there own roster, consistent coaches and management, and would NEVER EVER sign a player like TO. As a matter of fact they cut P. Burrues cause of his problems and BTW 6 SB trophies.

I hope this clear up what I have been saying, if not try this. The Bills haven't been successful over the last 9 years, cause they sign everyones garbage, poor coaches and front office and now are so desperate that they will sign cancerous players.
...and to think the Bills have sold out 42-45 games with this crap product and fans just keep paying the money for crap. Then they defend moves like TO, for what a little national exposure, are Buffaloians that thinned skinned? WOW!

kgun12
03-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't see much of a downside. And the whole "cancer" thing, in general, is just so much crap.

Put him in your workplace, change everything he has done at SF, Philly, and Dallas to relate to your work, don't forget the pill OD, would you want to work with a guy like that? I must tell you, if you say yes, I will have a hard time believing you.

justasportsfan
03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Do me a favor and look up the statements by McNabb and Romo when they signed him. McNabb went to the team on TO's behalf also. .
I agree! Sure TO wants to win like Trent said, thing is, he wants to win his way.

shelby the guy is a great reciever, but he causes more problems then his worth.

Not in his first year though. Make him stay for more than a year, he becomes trouble.

mercyrule
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree! Sure TO wants to win like Trent said, thing is, he wants to win his way.And that's bad?

justasportsfan
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
And that's bad?
It can be if you want things done your way and not include the rest of the team.

If TO wants the ball thrown to him and thinks thats the only way to win imagine what that does to the rest of the wrs, qb, TE's and maybe even a rb thats part of the passing game.

TO " I was open"
QB " no you weren't"
TO " throw it to me anyways"
Qb "not if someone else is open"

mercyrule
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Sometimes it is though.

justasportsfan
03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Sometimes it is though.

Sometimes.... but it hasn't happened yet with whatever team he's been with.

Kenny
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Are you on drugs? I have been beating up the decisions we have been making in regards to players brought in this whole thread. I have stated that we need to spend money on better players and a better coach and stop bring in 2nd tier players and worthless coaches. So to answer your question again, NO the players on this roster and the second tier G/C won't help! But again I have said this throughout the thread!

Again I think you are having trouble with comprehension, because everything you said in the quote makes my point! I say again, we have been out of the playoff for 9 years, I am not defending our system, but the exact opposite! Our system of bad FA signings, the coaching carousel and a bad front office has is and will be the problem. The point was Pittsburgh is a small market like Buffalo, yet they have a system where they scout hard, draft good kids, WILL NOT overpay to keep good players, fill the wholes mostly from there own roster, consistent coaches and management, and would NEVER EVER sign a player like TO. As a matter of fact they cut P. Burrues cause of his problems and BTW 6 SB trophies.

I hope this clear up what I have been saying, if not try this. The Bills haven't been successful over the last 9 years, cause they sign everyones garbage, poor coaches and front office and now are so desperate that they will sign cancerous players.
...and to think the Bills have sold out 42-45 games with this crap product and fans just keep paying the money for crap. Then they defend moves like TO, for what a little national exposure, are Buffaloians that thinned skinned? WOW!

I think you may have a problem with understanding english or something, or just have rose colored glasses.
We are not Pittsburgh. We are not New England. We are not a team that has done well in the past, or in the current times when it comes to drafting or FA.

You say:
"I hope this clear up what I have been saying, if not try this. The Bills haven't been successful over the last 9 years, cause they sign everyones garbage, poor coaches and front office and now are so desperate that they will sign cancerous players. "

Do you honestly think that if we didnt sign TO this offseason, we would have picked up good players instead? That we would magically have the best Draft in this history of the Bills organization? That all of a sudden we'd turn into the Steelers organization and win a Superbowl?
Based on history the answer is NO. So we take what we can get. The TO deal is a 1year deal. If it works great. If it doesnt, the new coaching regime is going to cleanhouse the year after anyways.

Kenny
03-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Put him in your workplace, change everything he has done at SF, Philly, and Dallas to relate to your work, don't forget the pill OD, would you want to work with a guy like that? I must tell you, if you say yes, I will have a hard time believing you.

If you were in a company that was about to go under, and all the employees were in danger of being let go... and a 'hot-shot' worker gets recruited to help revive the business to create positive revenues.
Even if he was a complete *******, Im sure you'd still take him in.

topher180
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Great back and forth in this thread. Kgun your point about ticket sales is an interesting one. I hadn't really thought of that. Still, I like the TO move if for nothing else because I'm tired of being the fan of an irrelivant team. That may sound shallow or may sound like I don't know what could happen in the aftermath, but I do.

And maybe, just maybe, if this experiment fails it will give all involved and excuse to blow it up and rebuild.

ParanoidAndroid
03-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Like I said before bring in the right FA's drafting well and basically do what we did in the 90's and the steelers have done forever, keep you on ESPN, people entertained, get some limelight (if that's really important), I really don't need the Bills to be in the "spotlight" just for the sake of being in the spotlight. What the rest of the league of nation thinks really doesn't matter to me and I don't need to be there cause we sign a schizophrenic egomaniac. As far as keeping the Bills here after Ralph passes, I know folks have gone gaga over him, but how is TO going to help do that? I think that's taking things a little too far!

I never meant to say he is the savior of the franchise, but he can help generate revenue. He basically increases the value of the franchise with the amount of press he gets.
After the TO signing, the Bills fan group on Facebook went nuts and thousands more joined. People are going to be watching him and in order to do that, they have to watch the Bills. Now think about not just the merchandise with his name on it, but the increased viewership and the increased adverising dollars.
If the franchise can keep increasing its worth, then Western NY proves that it is a viable place to keep a franchise.

feldspar
03-15-2009, 10:03 AM
One simple question that is in everyone's mind right now is whether TO will be a cnacer in the locker room or a benefit.

We know he has a big mouth and he has a tendancy to speak first before thinking. Just look at what he did to Romo last season with his "Just get me the ball and I'll win you games" mentality and public announcement.

Do you think TO will be an asset in the locker room or a cancer? How will TOs words impact Trent's preformance on the field? Will he bad mouth the team and the organization to a point where he gets benched?

I look at this as a fresh start for TO and he may watch his words with more caution this season.

God forbid that he makes the Bills a dysfunctional team. I'll welcome any strong influence at this point.

His "just get me the ball and I'll win you games" mentality is exactly what makes him a great receiver IMO. I don't think that he "tore apart the Cowboys lockerroom" at all, really. I think the Cowboys made a big mistake cutting him loose. They have nobody nearly as good to replace him with...nobody proven at all. Everything I've heard from his former teammates in Dallas has been overwhelmingly positive.

So my answer is a resounding benefit. I think a good part of TO's reputation is undeserved and people have scapegoated him in the past, especially in Dallas. ESPN has performed character assassination on him on a regualar basis, people keep hearing these things, and they begin to believe them. It's not completely unfounded, but it is way overblown. Somebody asks him if he thinks he is getting the ball enough, he says no, and ESPN debates for days whether TO is tearing apart the team for answering a question honestly. Every receiver should always want the ball. TO has a strong personality you might say...you also might say that he's an ass, but that's an opinion, usually an opinion of people that have never even met him.

Truth is that I think he will not only do all he can to help this team win, but he will do all he can to help our young receivers, Hardy and Johnson. Not only that, but I'm sure Reed, Evans, and Parrish can also learn from this guy, not to mention Trent. Say what you want about him as a person, but the guy has a lot of football experience and knowledge, and he won't be stingy about sharing it.

If he blows up at anybody on the sidelines, I'll actually enjoy it. I hope he screams at Jauron about throwing the challenge flag; how many times have YOU wanted to do that? I wish he was there to scream at Preston when he decided to get into a shoving match instead of getting the hell off the field so we could kick a field goal before the half. Somebody has to scream at people on this team...not that I think he screams at people all the time...only sometimes, and emotional blowups happen all the time in this game.

mercyrule
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
If he blows up at anybody on the sidelines, I'll actually enjoy it. I hope he screams at Jauron about throwing the challenge flag; how many times have YOU wanted to do that? I wish he was there to scream at Preston when he decided to get into a shoving match instead of getting the hell off the field so we could kick a field goal before the half. Somebody has to scream at people on this team...not that I think he screams at people all the time...only sometimes, and emotional blowups happen all the time in this game.Amen

kgun12
03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
If you were in a company that was about to go under, and all the employees were in danger of being let go... and a 'hot-shot' worker gets recruited to help revive the business to create positive revenues.
Even if he was a complete *******, Im sure you'd still take him in.

What are you talking about, the Bils are not about to go under, and there isn't a chance in hell I would have a person as canerous as TO anywhere near anything I valued! BTW I would get the other cancer Lynch off this team also.

mercyrule
03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
What are you talking about, the Bils are not about to go under, and there isn't a chance in hell I would have a person as canerous as TO anywhere near anything I valued! BTW I would get the other cancer Lynch off this team also.What exactly is your definition of a cancer? Someone who is constantly negative in a really nasty kind of way that makes you wonder if they've ever had a good day in their life? Or just someone you don't like?

kgun12
03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
What exactly is your definition of a cancer? Someone who is constantly negative in a really nasty kind of way that makes you wonder if they've ever had a good day in their life? Or just someone you don't like?

Seriously? It's not about like or dislike! It's about being a good person and knowing the difference between right and wrong. Do you really think what either one of these players has done is OK? I know I will get the "high horse" comment from someone, but I still hold people to a set of standards, most people know what's acceptable or not or right and wrong, however, when people are willing to look the other way because they are great athlete's or they are young, or whatever reason, we keep giving them chance after chance, I see that as not only wrong, but not doing that person any favors. Look what pampering has done to pro athletes. We have people defending a schizophrenic and a common criminal. So maybe cancer isn't the right word, maybe they should be called societies mistakes. I just can not look the other way cause they can help my team win. The way they act on an off the field makes part of me an part of feel feel sorry for them. Either way society has let them down.

How about in the real world? The things TO has done would never be accepted in any real workplace. As for Lynch, let's see, it a woman with his car, left the seen of the crime, less than a year later, arrested with an illegal handgun, pot in car. The hit and run would be enough for me to be fired, so I would not have gotten the second chance. Some job would have given a second chance, but the gun and drugs would not only get most fired, but also jail time.

Again this is my view of pro sports. It is a great privilege not a right to play pro sports. If you abuse that in anyway you should forfeit the privilege!

mercyrule
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Are you sure?

You are going to be absolutely miserable all season.

kgun12
03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Are you sure?

You are going to be absolutely miserable all season.

I know, that's why I am going to find other things to do. I have lost a lot of respect for pro sports over the last 10 years! Except hockey, most of those kids still play for the love of the sport!

mercyrule
03-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Don't tell me about it. I'm going to have fun.

kgun12
03-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Don't tell me about it. I'm going to have fun.

That's what makes this country great, choices. Enjoy!!!

feldspar
03-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I wish somebody would explain to me in detail exactly what Owens did in Dallas that was so terrible. When I ask anybody to list specifics, they fall back on catch-phrases like "TO is a cancer that tore apart the lockerroom" but can't explain exactly why they think that's true. I want a list of incidents.

They've been watching too much ESPN.

Was the rest of the team so fragile and TO so powerful?

mercyrule
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, Feldspar.

Jan Reimers
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Even if he's a 4th stage cancer, what can he kill on a team that's been dead for at least 9 years?

MPN
03-17-2009, 05:32 PM
TO was not signed to make this team better.
TO was not signed to bring spotlight to the organization.

TO was only signed because Ralph Wilson Jr. and his lackies saw the Bills fan base on the verge of breaking. This year the contracts for the suites were up for renewel and the organization felt the heat. They felt that this year was the year the loyalty and passion of its fan base would finally stop investing itself in "the cause." So they did something drastic, they signed a big name player to a large $$ contract.

This deal is not a sign of a change in the franchise, this was a frantic attempt to stop forshadowed disaster.

Regardless of the motives behind the acquisition, I do not think TO can do much more than what has been done to this team already. As for his negatives, the worst situation here is that he goes overboard and ruins Trent Edwards. I am not understating this, this would be a big blow, he may or may not be our quarterback of the future. However, I believe that without TO here as a viable 2nd recieving option, we may not ever see the potential of Trent Edwards on the field in actul gameplay.

TO alone isn't going to be the key cog that gets us to the playoffs. However if he can:
-Help our younger recievers develop,
-Fit into the offense and help Trent get confident again,
-and work strong to keep cool so he gets another big contract(even somewhere else) next year, this outways the potential cancer factor to me.

---Sorry for the rant--- :dance3:

Boomstick
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I wish somebody would explain to me in detail exactly what Owens did in Dallas that was so terrible. When I ask anybody to list specifics, they fall back on catch-phrases like "TO is a cancer that tore apart the lockerroom" but can't explain exactly why they think that's true. I want a list of incidents.

They've been watching too much ESPN.

Was the rest of the team so fragile and TO so powerful?

It seems to me that all TO did was tell the truth.
Hey Terrell do you think this team could win more games if you got thrown to more?
"Yes"
TO do you think a vacation with a blonde singer is the best thing for a QB to do before a playoff game?
"No, its a distraction to his game."

Stuff like that I guess isn't buttered up to be considered team like "P.C."
He just doesn't give the generic answers or the ones people would like to hear.

Ed Werder is especially good at taking something this guy says and turning it into a contraversy. He has to do something to keep his job. But as far as the "suicide" thing. Thats about the biggest load of crap ever. Ever heard commercials for medicines? "Some serious side effects, though rare could occur and include shallow breathing, irregular heartbeat, etc." Crap, I almost died from 2 vicodin one time.

He believes he can make a difference on and off the field. Its a bit arrogant at times, but its a winning attitude even if its brash. He at times, felt that his QBs could do more to help get wins, whether they were distracted off the field or just weren't playing up to the level they could. So he let them know it.
Players Blow up on the sidelines every week at near every game, but somehow when he does it, its more publicized and drama than anywhere else it happens.

Maybe that attitude will rub off on to some of these young players, not to the extent of being a distraction but rather a positive. The dude may be a bit of an arrogant jerk, but he wants to win and will do what he needs to, to get that win.