PDA

View Full Version : Why we dont get rid of Peters

Mitchell55
03-10-2009, 01:05 PM
9 teams in the top 10 of the draft need a OT. Det, SF, GB, SEA, OAK, KC, Jac, STL, and Cincinatti all have OT as there number 1 need.

THATHURMANATOR
03-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Because getting rid of a pro bowl players at one of the most important and hardest to replace positions on your team is something only an idiot would want. :ill:

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Because he is the Bills best player, playing arguably the most important position in football.

OpIv37
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Because Pro Bowl LT's don't grow on trees.

If we trade Peters, then you can add us to the long list of teams competing for an LT, and we won't get one. On top of that, we've already lost 4 offensive linemen, including two starters. Trading another one means 60% of the starting OL plus at least two back ups are new.

And all of that with an unproven QB.

Trading Peters at this point would be suicidal.

justasportsfan
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I think I'll go back to watching the Hitler video.

mysticsoto
03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
B'cse trading Peters only to then have to draft one with our 1st rd makes it pointless and stupid. And if you think we'd get more than a 1st rounder for him, I'd like to see that - especially since a good 5 or 6 OTs are available in this year's draft that should suffice many a team at LT and they have no need to make such an expensive trade!

Pinkerton Security
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
is this supposed to be a question, as in "why DONT we", as opposed to "why we dont"....because I was expecting your post to say something along the lines of what these other guys said.

and because they're right.

OpIv37
03-10-2009, 01:12 PM
B'cse trading Peters only to then have to draft one with our 1st rd makes it pointless and stupid. And if you think we'd get more than a 1st rounder for him, I'd like to see that - especially since a good 5 or 6 OTs are available in this year's draft that should suffice many a team at LT and they have no need to make such an expensive trade!

you mean we can't trade Peters for a 1st, a 3rd and a starting C in real life like Mitchell59 does in Madden? Why not?

LifetimeBillsFan
03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Just because Peters had a bad season last year because he was protesting the fact that he was underpaid, that doesn't mean that he isn't one of the very best at his position, the second most important position on the offensive side of the ball, when he decides to play up to his ability.

Prior to holding out last season, Peters was considered one of the top 3 LTs in the NFL and perhaps the best one under the age of 30.

You simply do not trade that kind of player unless he puts a gun to your head and forces you to do so. Trading such an elite caliber player at such an important position for any other reason would be beyond gross stupidity.

You need to have elite caliber players at certain key positions to win in the NFL. When you have one, you do everything you possibly can to keep him.

Half of the players picked in the Top 10 of the draft never become elite caliber players, let alone one of the top 3 at his position. A quarter end up being absolute busts (see Mike Williams). Even if you received two # 1 draft picks guaranteed to be Top 10 picks, the odds are that you would not end up with a player that would end up being considered one of the three best at his position.

What the Bills need to do with Peters is pay him what an All-Pro LT is worth, not trade him. If they pay him, he will play up to his ability and there are very few LTs in the NFL who have that ability and are able to play up to it.

The only way that the Bills would possibly consider trading Peters would be if D.Bell, who, like Peters, is also extremely gifted athletically, were to somehow develop (like Peters) into an even better player at the position. But, the only way they would find that out would be to play Bell to see if he could actually play at that elite level against real NFL competition in games. For that to happen, though, they would have to play Bell at RT, first, because they wouldn't take Peters out of the lineup and play Bell at LT if Peters were healthy and playing well. Still, even if Bell were to show that he could be absolutely dominating at RT, the Bills would probably hesitate to trade Peters--unless Peters was absolutely making a fuss about being traded or being a jerk in the lockerroom--because, with Peters and Bell, the Bills would then have two dominating OTs and the anchors to what could be a dominant, championship caliber offensive line. The only problem--and what might cause them to consider trading Peters--would be whether they could afford to pay the two of them what they were worth at that point. But, getting to that point would still take a couple of years because, right now, Bell is an unknown commodity.

And, again, you don't get rid of a known elite level commodity and replace it with an unknown commodity unless you absolutely are forced to do so--especially at one of the two most important positions on the offensive side of the field (QB being the most important).

The reason that the Bills aren't going out and spending money like crazy in free agency this year, even though they have a lot of holes to fill on the roster, is because they know Peters' value and they are trying to make sure that they have enough money available to re-sign Peters. It is going to cost them a lot of money because LT is such an important position and elite caliber players, like Peters, command and can get a ton of money. But, the Bills want to re-sign Peters and will pay him that kind of money because they know how hard it is to find a player of his caliber at that position. Teams can go for decades without finding a player who is able to prove, as Peters has, that he can play at that level of eliteness.

MikeInRoch
03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
So let's get this straight... we have something that most teams can't find. Let's get rid of him, quick!

Al the Bills Fan
03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
you mean we can't trade Peters for a 1st, a 3rd and a starting C in real life like Mitchell59 does in Madden? Why not?

LOL

DrGraves
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Because then we will only have another ****ing hole to fill... or should I say hole that will probably be left unaddressed.

Jan Reimers
03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Don't we already have enough holes that we're not filling?

G Wolly
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Orlando Pace from the Rams is available

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/70985/

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Let the Rams cut Pace and sign him to play LG or even give them a 7th next year for him.

He is smart and athletice enough to make the switch, imo!

Oaf
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Mitchell59 why dont you just become GM of the Bills?

TigerJ
03-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I think most of us were disappointed in Peters' holdout and subsequent slippage in play last season, but I think the Bills need to assume the slippage in his play was due almost entirely to missing training camp and not being in game shape when he arrived. I hope the Bills do get him signed to a long term contract that make him one of the better paid tackles in the game, and then ride that horse until he retires. Stability at left tackle is a beautiful thing.

soapman
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Why don't we get rid of you instead...

TonyBlack
03-10-2009, 08:32 PM
u mean trade him? i will.

topher180
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM

Did writing "b'cse" save you a lot of time in that long post? I ask b'cse you wrote quite a bit and b'cse hey, you may be on to something.

Bmax
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
You never trade a guy like Peters. The last time the Billls had a Pro Bowl Tackle was The Super Bowl years. Wilford and Ballard .. And guess what Peters is better than both of them. That was in 1993 .. i don't wanna wait another sixteen years to get a player of his ability...

Bmax