X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Owens ‘fall guy’ comment the truth

Looks as if Terrell Owens comment to Buffalobills.com that he was the “fall guy” for Dallas’ 9-7 season last year had far more truth to it than most critics had thought. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed in a radio interview Tuesday that Owens was not released because T.O. failed the chemistry test in the locker room.

Jones claimed it was done to allow Roy Williams to emerge as the true number one receiver on their offense. I suppose when you give up a 1st, 3rd and 7th round pick for one receiver you better make him your go-to guy in your passing game. Jones also played the age card, saying they wanted to make better use of their younger receivers, knowing Owens is 35.

Seems like a flimsy reason to cut loose one of the most prolific playmakers in football, but the Williams trade is undoubtedly a potential albatross for Jones. The Cowboys clearly overpaid to acquire Williams, and if he’s not made the top wideout and does not have #1 WR numbers, the organization will be reamed by the Dallas press all the more for making the transaction.

So if T.O. remained on the Cowboys roster and outperformed Williams in 2009 it would have reflected poorly on Dallas’ personnel department in light of what they gave up to acquire the former Lions receiver.

Of course if T.O. has better numbers than Williams while playing in Buffalo this season, the criticism might be even worse.

Jones also stated that Owens still had the support of his coaches with the Cowboys.

Last edited by The Spaz; 03-11-2009, 09:45 AM.
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Re: Owens ‘fall guy’ comment the truth

Originally posted by The Spaz

Jones claimed it was done to allow Roy Williams to emerge as the true number one receiver on their offense. I suppose when you give up a 1st, 3rd and 7th round pick for one receiver you better make him your go-to guy in your passing game.

Seems like a flimsy reason to cut loose one of the most prolific playmakers in football, but the Williams trade is undoubtedly a potential albatross for Jones. The Cowboys clearly overpaid to acquire Williams, and if he’s not made the top wideout and does not have #1 WR numbers, the organization will be reamed by the Dallas press all the more for making the transaction.
    Spend carelessly and this is what happens.

Comment

• billogic99
      • Oct 2008

Well TO must have a magic lightswitch, cause the guy walking up and down the sidelines screaming at whomever would listen sure as heck looked like "bad character" to me.

I know one thing, you win as a team and you lose as a team, you don't walk up and down the sidelines screaming because you're not happy and calling people out. Dallas wasn't the only place he did that, he did it in Philly too. I find it very hard to believe that the Cowboys mood lightend in the locker room after one of TO's tiraids. The last thing I want to see TO doing on Bills sideline is screaming at people.
      Last edited by billogic99; 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by billogic99
        Well TO must have a magic lightswitch, cause the guy walking up and down the sidelines screaming at whomever would listen sure as heck looked like "bad character" to me.

I know one thing, you win as a team and you lose as a team, you don't walk up and down the sidelines screaming because you're not happy and calling people out. Dallas wasn't the only place he did that, he did it in Philly too. I find it very hard to believe that the Cowboys mood lightend in the locker room after one of TO's tiraids. The last thing I want to see TO doing on Bills sideline is screaming at people.
        You're right. Wade Phillips should have been doing that.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Romo choking under pressure again couldn't be the reason Dallas went 9-7.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by billogic99
            the guy walking up and down the sidelines screaming at whomever would listen...
            If you believe that he "walked up and down the sidelines screaming at whomever would listem" is what happened, you are a complete sucker of the ESPN highlight reel. They string about 4-5 times where Owens got in somebody's face and play them in a loop, but these incidents were far and in between. Nobody talks about the reasons for it.

Yeah, he screamed at people, but not nearly as often as the media would have you believe...they try to improve their ratings, too, you know. Somebody in Buffalo has to hold it's players accountable for what they do. If you look at Baltimore Ravens fans, they are always talking about Ray Lewis and how he sets other players straight. When McGahee came there, they all talked about how Lewis would keep him in line. Why is demanding more from your team OK with Lewis and not with Owens? Lewis, with that whole murder thing and all...

I hope he does scream at the Bills players on the sidelines at times. God knows I've wanted to. I wish he was there to scream at Duke Preston in the last New England game last year when he decided to get into that pushing contest instead of getting off the field so we could attempt that fieldgoal at the end of the first half.
            Last edited by feldspar; 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• billogic99
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by feldspar
              If you believe that he "walked up and down the sidelines screaming at whomever would listem" is what happened, you are a complete sucker of the ESPN highlight reel. They string about 4-5 times where Owens got in somebody's face and play them in a loop, but these incidents were far and in between. Nobody talks about the reasons for it.

Yeah, he screamed at people, but not nearly as often as the media would have you believe...they try to improve their ratings, too, you know. Somebody in Buffalo has to hold it's players accountable for what they do. If you look at Baltimore Ravens fans, they are always talking about Ray Lewis and how he sets other players straight. When McGahee came there, they all talked about how Lewis would keep him in line. Why is demanding more from your team OK with Lewis and not with Owens? Lewis, with that whole murder thing and all...

I hope he does scream at the Bills players on the sidelines at times. God knows I've wanted to. I wish he was there to scream at Duke Preston in the last New England game last year when he decided to get into that pushing contest instead of getting off the field so we could attempt that fieldgoal at the end of the first half.
              TO doesn't scream to fire people up, he screams because he's not getting his way, please don't think for one second there isn't a distinct difference in the two screams. If he did it once, it was once too many. TO is not a "team" guy. He doesn't get excited cause the team wins, TO gets excited when TO scores, TO is content, when TO is getting his way, TO is happy that he has 11 or 12 TD's not because the team has 11 or 12 TD's. What's his moto? "I love me, some me"! What two words stand out in the sentence? I and Me! TO doesn't give a damn about anything or anyone, except himself. Great talent, in his prime. He will make the Bills better in 09, but only slightly, was it worth what he brings to this organization? Hell ****ing no!!! jmo.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

I'm ok with TO screaming on the sidelines because you know Dick Jauron ain't gonna do it. That might hurt someone's feelings and disrupt the country club he's got going on.

Comment

Working...
                X