PDA

View Full Version : San Fran writer needs to be straightened out

The Spaz
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Ladies and gentlemen of Bills Nation, I have a humble request if you hold your native hometown and its football franchise sacred. Many times Buffalo, and the Bills for that matter, have been denigrated by an assortment of sports writers over the years. It’s often an easy and convenient way for lazy journalists to fill space in their columns. And S.F. Chronicle writer Bruce Jenkins may be the most misinformed of them all.

In a T.O. signing spin-off column he proceeds to insult not only the city of Buffalo, but the history of the Bills franchise, claiming O.J. and T.O. are the only flamboyant stars in the team’s history. Sure he lists some names from Bills history in passing, but he dismisses Thurman Thomas and completely forgets Bruce Smith. Yup, Smith was not even mentioned.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/03/11/san-fran-writer-needs-to-be-straightened-out/

DraftBoy
03-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Who cares? The guy is a hack and part of what he wrote in the beginning is true. Prior to the Bills signing TO the Bills weren't relevant in the news at all. I think what bothers me more than this hack's lack of ability to put together even a halfway accurate column is that our Bills Beat Writer is now pushing this stuff on us rather than some info on FA. I know he can only write what the Bills tell him to but seriously this is what we get now? Im a little disappointed at OBD for even publishing garbage like this.

Bill Brasky
03-11-2009, 10:48 AM
The Raiders had so much star power in Marcus Allen and Howie Long that the little old Bills and irrelevant Jim Kelly creamed them 51-3... in a conference title game. Still the largest margin of victory in a AFC title game. Ever.

madness
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Who cares? The guy is a hack and part of what he wrote in the beginning is true. Prior to the Bills signing TO the Bills weren't relevant in the news at all. I think what bothers me more than this hack's lack of ability to put together even a halfway accurate column is that our Bills Beat Writer is now pushing this stuff on us rather than some info on FA. I know he can only write what the Bills tell him to but seriously this is what we get now? Im a little disappointed at OBD for even publishing garbage like this.

You certainly have extremely high standards for a personal blog.

Bill Brasky
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
in fact the raiders are SOOOOO relevant, they struggle to sell out a 55,000 seat stadium

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't even see anything all that wrong with his article. He states that we are not a flamboyent town nor usually have flamboyent players. Even our superstars weren't tabloid limelight people.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Plus he is from San Fran and probably a queer, so what does he even know about sports? :idunno:

kgun12
Like I have been saying, I don't care what others are saying pro or con about Buffalo, the Bills, the palyers or the fans.

Pinkerton Security
the guy is half right, and half way wrong. What awesome, "flamboyant" players have played in San Fran in the past 20 years besides Young, Montana, Rice and even TO?

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
the guy is half right, and half way wrong. What awesome, "flamboyant" players have played in San Fran in the past 20 years besides Young, Montana, Rice and even TO?
Steve Bono for starters.

T-Long
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I just wrote this douchebag an email. Here it is:

Are you kidding me?? You are saying we only had 2 flamboyant stars in our history? How in the hell can you write an article about the Bills history without mentioning the ALL TIME SACK LEADER Bruce Smith. Are you that ******ed??? How in the hell you have a job as a writer is beyond me. Did you forget that from 1950-1980 the 49ers have only 3 division titles and four playoff appearances. Over that same span minus 10 years (Bills first AFL season was 1960) Buffalo had 3 division titles, 6 playoff appearances and a pair of AFL championships. You guys were NOTHING until Bill Walsh came...and what have you done lately? I can't remember the last time they were in the playoffs either?

I lived in San Jose for 3 years with my wife and daughter before moving back to PA this April. I worked for KNBR for 2 years and was an on field audio tech with the 49ers. That stadium and those fans can't even COMPARE to a 20 degree day at the Ralph.

Pathetic.

Why don't you spend more time writing articles that actually makes sense instead of just throwing insults around? I think your next article should be when the Hall of Fame game takes place this year...oh and what do you know? Bruce Smith and Ralph Wilson Jr. are getting elected into the Hall of Fame that weekend!! Or didn't you ever hear of them?

Get a life Mr. Jenkins. I have more talent in my pinky finger than you have in your entire career.

Jan Reimers
03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Nancy Pelosi is from San Francisco. Why, then, take anything from that city seriously?

The Spaz
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Are you kidding me?? You are saying we only had 2 flamboyant stars in our history? How in the hell can you write an article about the Bills history without mentioning the ALL TIME SACK LEADER Bruce Smith. Are you that ******ed??? How in the hell you have a job as a writer is beyond me. Did you forget that from 1950-1980 the 49ers have only 3 division titles and four playoff appearances. Over that same span minus 10 years (Bills first AFL season was 1960) Buffalo had 3 division titles, 6 playoff appearances and a pair of AFL championships. You guys were NOTHING until Bill Walsh came...and what have you done lately? I can't remember the last time they were in the playoffs either?

I lived in San Jose for 3 years with my wife and daughter before moving back to PA this April. I worked for KNBR for 2 years and was an on field audio tech with the 49ers. That stadium and those fans can't even COMPARE to a 20 degree day at the Ralph.

Pathetic.

Why don't you spend more time writing articles that actually makes sense instead of just throwing insults around? I think your next article should be when the Hall of Fame game takes place this year...oh and what do you know? Bruce Smith and Ralph Wilson Jr. are getting elected into the Hall of Fame that weekend!! Or didn't you ever hear of them?

Get a life Mr. Jenkins. I have more talent in my pinky finger than you have in your entire career.

Haha nice!:D: :rockon:

Pinkerton Security
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
i still just love how his basis for dismissing our franchise is that we lack "flamboyant" players. Cracks me up. He's definitely from San Fran allright, throwing around such words. SSSSuper!:limp:

DraftBoy
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
You certainly have extremely high standards for a personal blog.

To expect actual information related to the team it covers as opposed to trying to stir up some pointless crap because some guy wrote a partially accurate piece with a negative view on the Bills? I don't think that's high standards at all.

jason.adams
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Plus he is from San Fran and probably a queer, so what does he even know about sports? :idunno:

lame...that just smacks of ignorance.

The Spaz
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Did you join just to make that comment?

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
:shakeno:

madness
03-11-2009, 11:14 AM

Seriously. Queers can know stuff about sports too.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Did you join just to make that comment?
LOL

Pinkerton Security

ya, i mean those San Fran men are the best male cheerleaders out there, so they know lots about sports.

kgun12

Pathetic.

You played right into his hand, cause you are acknowledged to him you read his article and he got just the reaction he was hoping from Bills fans!

Again who cares, like Jan Reimers said, it's San Fran, why, then, take anything from that city seriously? Besides he used the word "flamboyant" that's all you need to know.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Seriously. Queers can know stuff about sports too.
You are right I was being ignorant in that sense.

Thanks Jason Adams.

jason.adams
03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
im just saying comments like this do nothing, only reinforce and feed into his image of buffalo. they dont stick it to him in any way. that's stuff you here on playgrounds during elementary school. its a lame way of trying to one-up somebody. people are complaining about his ignorance of buffalo and such, and then counter by attacking with equally ignorant claims about sf. i just hope no one included stuff like that in an email to him. but go ahead thinking you put me in my place and showed me with the ''thank you'' comment. youre right, im glad you defended yourself.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
im just saying comments like this do nothing, only reinforce and feed into his image of buffalo. they dont stick it to him in any way. that's stuff you here on playgrounds during elementary school. its a lame way of trying to one-up somebody. people are complaining about his ignorance of buffalo and such, and then counter by attacking with equally ignorant claims about sf. i just hope no one included stuff like that in an email to him. but go ahead thinking you put me in my place and showed me with the ''thank you'' comment. youre right, im glad you defended yourself.
Get over yourself already.

My initial post was tongue in cheek.

Pinkerton Security
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

the difference is that we didnt write an ignorant article and publish it. he just said a wise-a** comment on a BILLS message board.

Mudflap1
03-11-2009, 12:40 PM
This thread is starting to get juicy now...

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Only if Jason Adams doesn't loosen up a bit.

Mudflap1
03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Only if Jason Adams doesn't loosen up a bit.

:rofl:

justasportsfan
03-11-2009, 12:57 PM
there are more people that show up in their gay pride parade than their games.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2009, 01:06 PM
there are more people that show up in their gay pride parade than their games.
THATS SOOOO IGNORANT...

feldspar
03-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd try to set this hump straight only if I cared what he thought in the first place. He's only being a complete homer here, which is exactly what I would be if I bothered to reply.

But I disagree with his list of Edwards' seven stages of T.O. I see it playing out more like this:

1) The media, trying to push some buttons, directly asks T.O. if he felt that he got the ball enough in a loss. He'll say no...every player worth their salt always wants the ball.

2) The spin will be "T.O. Says He's not Getting the Ball Enough...Slams Edwards and Coaching Staff."

3) the media will ask every Bills player and coach what they thought about T.O.'s comment, which was response to a direct question.

4) The players will say that they have no problem with what T.O. said.

5) The Bills players will be asked the same question about T.O.'s comment again...and again.

6) "Controversy in Buffalo." ESPN has a field day about a non-issue.

7) Owens will get riled up about something and yell at someone on the sidline...I'll enjoy it...now the spin will be about how T.O. is tearing apart the team.

Every player that I've heard in Dallas had nothing but good things to say about T.O. The owner did too. As far as I can see he had a good relationship with Romo. McNabb and him are friends.