PDA

View Full Version : A quick update

patmoran2006
03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I dont have a lot of really "noteworthy" stuff to report, stuff has been quiet.

But just so everyone knows, the Bills are still in contact with people who visited them, including June, Keiaho, Winborn and Simmons.

They are taking their time because frankly they can.. Have you heard of any of these other guys going on visits to other teams?

They are evaluating guys and proceding with negotiations. Take it from soemone who is typcially a panic-person. The Bills are NOT done with free agency.

However, Im no longer 100% sold that we're signing a starting guard in FA.. I heard that the DL coach Bob Sanders was at Oklahoma scouting guards during their pro day (who's names I do not know)

Lastly, I find it at least MILDLY puzzling Losman is getting NO INTEREST anywhere.. Unless he's willing to be a #3 or wait around for injuries, he could be out of this league already.

So I dont know what is going on there.. But IM confident that we're going to sign a OLB via free agency-- and the more I'm hearing about these guys from other writers and football people, I really hope its June.

im8th2buffalo
03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for doing your best to keep everyone updated. You have been doing a great job.

Stewie
03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Losman played his worst when his career was on the line. That hurt. I feel bad for the guy, he seems like a nice dude and terrific athlete who just isn't a good decision maker

psubills62
03-11-2009, 10:12 PM

But just so everyone knows, the Bills are still in contact with people who visited them, including June, Keiaho, Winborn and Simmons.

They are taking their time because frankly they can.. Have you heard of any of these other guys going on visits to other teams?

They are evaluating guys and proceding with negotiations. Take it from soemone who is typcially a panic-person. The Bills are NOT done with free agency.

However, Im no longer 100% sold that we're signing a starting guard in FA.. I heard that the DL coach Bob Sanders was at Oklahoma scouting guards during their pro day (who's names I do not know)

Lastly, I find it at least MILDLY puzzling Losman is getting NO INTEREST anywhere.. Unless he's willing to be a #3 or wait around for injuries, he could be out of this league already.

So I dont know what is going on there.. But IM confident that we're going to sign a OLB via free agency-- and the more I'm hearing about these guys from other writers and football people, I really hope its June.

Thanks for the updates pat.

Honestly, I'm not that surprised that Losman isn't getting interest. What surprises me is the other QB's who aren't getting interest - namely guys like Jeff Garcia, Kyle Boller, etc. Boller may be similar to Losman, but he actually improved his numbers in his career. Garcia is old, but so is Warner and Collins and they got pretty big deals. No one wants these guys even for backups? Does Detroit realize who they currently have at QB?

You've said what I've been saying this whole time - none of those FA's who visited Buffalo have visited anyone else that I know of, so why hurry to sign them? Well, Winborn visited someone but I'm sure he's a lesser priority than the others.

So do you have any idea if they'll bring in anyone else, or are they just planning on signing one or two of the guys in that list?

The Spaz
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM
That's pretty much what Chris Brown said on BB.com today.

patmoran2006
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the updates pat.

Honestly, I'm not that surprised that Losman isn't getting interest. What surprises me is the other QB's who aren't getting interest - namely guys like Jeff Garcia, Kyle Boller, etc. Boller may be similar to Losman, but he actually improved his numbers in his career. Garcia is old, but so is Warner and Collins and they got pretty big deals. No one wants these guys even for backups? Does Detroit realize who they currently have at QB?

You've said what I've been saying this whole time - none of those FA's who visited Buffalo have visited anyone else that I know of, so why hurry to sign them? Well, Winborn visited someone but I'm sure he's a lesser priority than the others.

So do you have any idea if they'll bring in anyone else, or are they just planning on signing one or two of the guys in that list?
no idea at this point if they're bringing in more people.. Would probably depend on how negotations go with who they already have seen. if i said a name right now I'd be guessing.

I dont expect to see many new faces, put it that way. I see them signing 2 more FA's before the draft, 3 tops.

jimbohastle51
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
i think as far as linebackers go, they have seen derrick brooks, keith brookings, cato june, mike peterson, freddy keiaho, tyhaun hagler, and marlon greenwood, all released due to salary cap reasons (or not tendered in the case of hagler and keiaho) and they probably want to see if any better options appear. i mean they can sign june or keiaho whenever they want and if they are targeting a LB at 11 which i think they are they may wait, and if there backer is gone or the draft leads them a different direction they can just sign one of those guys. basically i think they will continue to play those guys against each other to see who will take the cheapest deal and if they get a guy at there price they will sign him, if not they can draft one, besides the 2 guys that have been linked to the bills as DE prospects, ayers, and the DE from lsu both could easily be available in the beginning of the 2nd round and they can get as good a TE in round 2 as they can in round 3 really so maybe LB is there pick at 11.

psubills62
03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
i think as far as linebackers go, they have seen derrick brooks, keith brookings, cato june, mike peterson, freddy keiaho, tyhaun hagler, and marlon greenwood, all released due to salary cap reasons (or not tendered in the case of hagler and keiaho) and they probably want to see if any better options appear. i mean they can sign june or keiaho whenever they want and if they are targeting a LB at 11 which i think they are they may wait, and if there backer is gone or the draft leads them a different direction they can just sign one of those guys. basically i think they will continue to play those guys against each other to see who will take the cheapest deal and if they get a guy at there price they will sign him, if not they can draft one, besides the 2 guys that have been linked to the bills as DE prospects, ayers, and the DE from lsu both could easily be available in the beginning of the 2nd round and they can get as good a TE in round 2 as they can in round 3 really so maybe LB is there pick at 11.

Actually, I think both Ayers and Jackson are more likely to go in the early 1st round.

I think they've got several options at 11. The good thing is that most of the holes on our team are positions like TE and OG, where the best players don't usually go until the late first or early second.

DrGraves
03-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Losman is currently visiting Arena League teams...

Lexwhat
03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
1. Why is our DL coach scouting for Guards?? (As opposed to our O-Line coach).

2. I'm glad we are scouting for Guards though. I am sure we can pick up a starter in the 2nd round. I made it no secret, that the best place to pick up O-Linemen is the DRAFT.

3. JP sucks as usual. I'm not surprised that no one really cares for his services.

Scumbag College
03-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Is there any talk about adding another safety through FA? Whitner is OK, I like Scott as a situational player but not too much as a full time starter, Simpson is disappointing, and Wendling and Wilson are special teamers. I'd really like to see a capable vet brought in for at least a look at training camp to see if they can compete for the other starting spot.

Lexwhat
03-11-2009, 10:37 PM

Seriously? Or is that a joke?

psubills62
03-11-2009, 10:49 PM

2. I'm glad we are scouting for Guards though. I am sure we can pick up a starter in the 2nd round. I made it no secret, that the best place to pick up O-Linemen is the DRAFT.

3. JP sucks as usual. I'm not surprised that no one really cares for his services.

1. Probably because our O-line coach can't be everywhere at once. Plus, the DL coach probably knows as much about the OL as Kugler, and vice-versa. Sanders has to know about the OL because that's who his guys face. I'm sure they're both skilled at finding good linemen on both sides of the ball.

2. Agreed. I'm also wondering if the Bills will consider drafting a guy like Michael Oher or Andre Smith at 11 and moving them to OG.

3. Yeah...I feel bad for the guy, but he really dug his own grave, imo.

Oaf
03-11-2009, 10:58 PM
and the more I'm hearing about these guys from other writers and football people, I really hope its June.

What have you been hearing?

Guess who's from Oklahoma? Duke Robinson. Could he be the pick?

It's all fine with me- at this point it's fully a buyer's market. If we can get June in, that gives us a decent to good set of LBs and we can focus strictly on the lines for the draft. (I would not be averse to G, DE, TE, C, DT, S, LB)

So does anyone feel that Ray Manaluga or Cushing are either worth the 11th pick? I'd love them if the Bills thought they were worth it.

Tatonka
03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Kuglar was at the Alabama workout checking out the linemen.. i think that was today.

venis2k1
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Seriously? Or is that a joke?

The arena league folded. There is the UFL though, and Canada.

Little known fact:

"August 8, 1961. The AFL, desperate to prove that it was the real deal, challenged the Canadian Football League to an exhibition game. It was decided that the game would be between Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Buffalo Bills. The Bills and Ticats were chosen because they were geographically close to one another. It was thought that beating a CFL team would prove that the AFL was at least the second-best football league in North America. After all, the NFL had sent several teams against teams from the CFL and had won every game so it was thought that victory against the CFL would be easy. Playing at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, Ontario, the game proved to be a disaster for the AFL as the Ticats crushed the Bills 38-21 playing a mix of AFL and CFL rules. The Bills returned to Buffalo and it marked the only time a pro football team from Canada defeated a pro football team from the United States. Afterwards, no team from the United States ever challenged a team from Canada again."

bigbry
03-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Really no news of anyone's interest in signing with the Bills since T.O. arrived.
Interesting!

Oaf
03-12-2009, 02:04 AM

Little known fact:

"August 8, 1961. The AFL, desperate to prove that it was the real deal, challenged the Canadian Football League to an exhibition game. It was decided that the game would be between Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Buffalo Bills. The Bills and Ticats were chosen because they were geographically close to one another. It was thought that beating a CFL team would prove that the AFL was at least the second-best football league in North America. After all, the NFL had sent several teams against teams from the CFL and had won every game so it was thought that victory against the CFL would be easy. Playing at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, Ontario, the game proved to be a disaster for the AFL as the Ticats crushed the Bills 38-21 playing a mix of AFL and CFL rules. The Bills returned to Buffalo and it marked the only time a pro football team from Canada defeated a pro football team from the United States. Afterwards, no team from the United States ever challenged a team from Canada again."
Yikes. We should take on the Argonauts today (well, after the draft.)
:boxing:

LifetimeBillsFan
03-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the update, Pat.

From what Jauron said in his presser, I don't think the Bills are in any hurry to sign any of the LBs that they have had in. Before he caught himself, Jauron did say they were "working on it" in response to a question about whether they would sign a LG in free agency.

Depending on whether they think that Chris Ellis has shown enough improvement that, with the return of Aaron Schobel, they can get enough improvement in their pass rush, taking a LB--either Cushing or Maualuga--at # 11 could make sense. It would give the Bills a very good LB corps. Also, LB is a position where it is easier for a rookie to make an impact right away, where DEs tend to take longer to develop--so they would get more immediate help by taking a LB than a DE.

As for checking out the O-linemen at Alabama and Oklahoma: both teams have some interesting prospects coming out in this draft class.

A.Smith has hurt himself so much by not being prepared for The Combine and not being fully in-shape for his Pro Day that he could still be on the board at # 11. The guy was a dominant player in college and did well in the position drills at his Pro Day, so he can't be entirely written off, although he could turn out to be another Mike Williams. He can play OG as well as OT.

Alabama also has A.Caldwell, a center/guard who some have compared to a young LeCharles Bentley, coming out in this draft class. If the Bills want to wait until late in Round 2 or Round 3 to address their need for a versatile interior offensive lineman, Caldwell might be one of the guys that they would be interested in.

Oklahoma has not just Duke Robinson, but Phil Loadholt coming out. Both could potentially play OG in the NFL. Depending on how the draft goes and what positions the Bills feel that they can get the best combination of value at, Robinson and Loadholt, like Caldwell, could definitely be options. When it comes to TEs and interior offensive linemen, a lot is going to depend on whether there is a run at a certain position or a couple of positions and who that leaves still on the board when the Bills pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The Bills need playmakers at several positions that are fairly deep in this draft class, but may find that the guy that they have at the top of their board at that position is gone already. In which case, they may decide that they can get better value at one of the other positions and, then, be prepared to take the best player on the board later on at the original position.

I think this could be a very fluid draft for the Bills where they can go a number of ways in each of the first three rounds depending on how the draft progresses. But, that means that they are going to have done their homework and gotten a good feel on a number of players at the positions that they want to address at the top of their draft.

X-Era
03-12-2009, 06:16 AM
He will start for Cottrell in the UFL.

Dujek
03-12-2009, 06:33 AM

The UFL, the new USFL and the AAFL. No doubt he'll get a job somewhere.

Jeff1220
03-12-2009, 07:15 AM
The UFL is really trying to be legit. They got some decent names for HCs to start off - Fassell, Green, Haslet... Not bad for a start-up. It might not be a bad place to be for guys like Losman and Boller.

topher180
03-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the update Pat. I was starting to wonder where the Bills stood on those LBs, so even the lack of information is welcomed.

I agree with whomever made that point about Boller and Garcia. Boller did improve as his career progressed and Garcia has pretty much won in each of the last few towns he's been in. I think the problem with him though is he wants to start everywhere. I like Garcia but there's a reason he's been on so many squads. I think JP will ultimately land somewhere in the NFL as a backup before it's all said and done, just my opinion.

I would be 100% okay with not signing/trading for an OG if Preseton was still going to be here. He's obviously not an All-Pro but he provided depth for at Gaurd and Center. I just really hate relying too heavily on the draft.

topher180
03-12-2009, 07:44 AM
The UFL is really trying to be legit. They got some decent names for HCs to start off - Fassell, Green, Haslet... Not bad for a start-up. It might not be a bad place to be for guys like Losman and Boller.

I'm interested to see this UFL on the field. It's easy to poo poo it because the NFL is such a juggernaut and other start ups have been unsuccessful. It'd be nice to have an alternative though, even temporarily, during the offseason.

TigerJ
03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I think Losman's best chance is to hook up with a CFL team. I think he's a good fit for canadian football.

HHURRICANE
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM

"If JP had the right players and coaches he would be great!!"

Wait a minute, that's the puke I had to read for the last 18 months. Safe to say that other teams realize that he is a mental midget.

trapezeus
03-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I think the remaining QB's out there like Garcia, JP and boeller, are pickups for after the draft. Teams that are looking for a second QB but have a real good, injury free starter may look to the draft to start grooming their own player from scratch.

If those teams don't get someone they want in the draft, boeller,JP, letwich, garcia will end up getting calls. I don't konw if they all get jobs though. Leftwich and garcia have some proven skills to themselves (leftwich was credited as beinga standup guy in the lockerroom and bailed the steelers out in a game or two).

Boeller and JP are not as lucky. They have bad track records and have been spoken about in the national media as busts. Bad teams have picks in the draft and new coaches don't necessarily needed the added stress of resurrecting a career of a perceived weak player in the most important position. Teams like the lions will sell more tickets with a rookie QB than taking a project.

Better teams have both a starter and a back up. So there really is only a few teams that may need a back up, and they might still find the draft to more useful. There is more perceived upside from a rookie than someone like losman who has shown time and again, he knows how to lose a game.

Plus for whatever reason, (maybe it's the economy, maybe its the smaller number of big free agent names), free agency seems to be going very slowly this year.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-12-2009, 09:30 AM

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Thanks for the info Pat. Hope your right about LBer. The press conferance seem to indicate we wont pick up anyone but that could of been typical Jauron speech. I really hope we pick up June so we have the luxury of taking a guard and tight end with the 2nd and 3rd picks.

Michael82
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I still hope they sign Cato June. He fits our defense nicely and would give us a solid veteran that knows the Cover 2 to help the younger LBs out.

As for Guard, I'm just pissed that they haven't bothered bringing anyone else in for a look. What about Mike Goff or Pete Kendall? Just bring them in. Putting a 2nd or 3rd round rookie in at LG scares the **** out of me. I don't know what they are thinking if that is their plan. :ill:

Mahdi
03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I still hope they sign Cato June. He fits our defense nicely and would give us a solid veteran that knows the Cover 2 to help the younger LBs out.

As for Guard, I'm just pissed that they haven't bothered bringing anyone else in for a look. What about Mike Goff or Pete Kendall? Just bring them in. Putting a 2nd or 3rd round rookie in at LG scares the **** out of me. I don't know what they are thinking if that is their plan. :ill:
Slotting in a rookie at LG is not a big deal at all. There's some great talent in the interior OL group that can come in and start right away and excel. Guys like Luigs and Caldwell would be upgrades over Dockery.

ddaryl
03-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Slotting in a rookie at LG is not a big deal at all. There's some great talent in the interior OL group that can come in and start right away and excel. Guys like Luigs and Caldwell would be upgrades over Dockery.

I agree... but if we plan on filling multiple holes on this team in the draft we need to trade down and parlay some extra picks

Michael82
03-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree... but if we plan on filling multiple holes on this team in the draft we need to trade down and parlay some extra picks
Exactly! It's not like LG is our only hole that we plan on filling in the draft....

Pass Rushing DE
LG
TE
Possibly LB

psubills62
03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Exactly! It's not like LG is our only hole that we plan on filling in the draft....

Pass Rushing DE
LG
TE
Possibly LB

Honestly, I believe we could find starters or strong contributors at those positions throughout the draft:

1) DE
2) TE
3) LG

Even switch one or two of those, and you've got a draft that can add guys who could contribute right away.

Mahdi
03-12-2009, 11:00 AM

Pass Rushing DE
LG
TE
Possibly LB
Right but fortunately for us this draft lends itself well to our needs.

Interior line players are a deep group

TE is a very deep class

And there are a ton of speed rushers.

If we go DE, TE, LG in that order we will be filling our needs with top tier talent at each position.

I would then go for a Safety in round 4 and a LB in round 5. OL depth in 6 and a WR project in the 7th. Then again it depends where the value is.

bigbub2352
03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
At this point June is the best fill in OLB, but i still dont understand no Crowell, he is either asking to much of not willing to come back here

OG
DE
TE
all cant come form the draft and start have we not learned from our mistakes over the last 9yrs
i would feel alot more comfortable with a LG vet in here like Goff or Simmons or moving Butler over to LG and signing one of those 2 to play RG

i still wouldnt mind bringing in LJ Smith for a look as a number 2 TE and still draft a TE, we need upgrades FINe and Schouman scare nobody

jimbohastle51
03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
i think we can still get a decent safety in free agency. mike brown was drafted by jauron in chicago and he is a great safety, he had 2 injury pagued seasons but when healthy he is a ballhawking safety, and i know he would come cheap being as he is 31 and has only played 1 full season in the past 3 years, but he would be perfect to rotate with scott, and take the passing downs and nickle idowns at the safety position.

Buddo
03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I actually am getting the impression that as far as LB goes, the Bills are fairly set on keeping their powder dry, until the draft has played out. There are a few prospects that they probably would consider, but much will depend on where they fall, or indeed, if a DE they covet falls to them. Plan A, may well be to take Maualuga, as they could reasonably expect him to be available, with, for example, both Brown and Orakpo gone already.
Plan B, could involve one of the DE's falling to us, and consequently, we get back on the 'phone to June/Keiaho.

SABURZFAN
03-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I find it at least MILDLY puzzling Losman is getting NO INTEREST anywhere.. Unless he's willing to be a #3 or wait around for injuries, he could be out of this league already.

i'm not surprised.

CFL OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psubills62
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
At this point June is the best fill in OLB, but i still dont understand no Crowell, he is either asking to much of not willing to come back here

OG
DE
TE
all cant come form the draft and start have we not learned from our mistakes over the last 9yrs
i would feel alot more comfortable with a LG vet in here like Goff or Simmons or moving Butler over to LG and signing one of those 2 to play RG

i still wouldnt mind bringing in LJ Smith for a look as a number 2 TE and still draft a TE, we need upgrades FINe and Schouman scare nobody

I think the only real starter we need is at OG. A DE, even from the 1st round, won't come in and start right away. A tight end doesn't need to - even if Fine doesn't scare anyone, he's still a decent TE. Like I keep saying - if our wide receivers are good enough, we won't need a Tony Gonzalez or Jason Witten. We could certainly USE one, but we don't need a stud receiving tight end.

DrGraves
AHHHHHHHHHHHH COOMONNN BILLS ****ING DO SOMETHINGGGGGGGGGGG DONT HALF ASS IT!!!!!!!!!!!! GET JUNE IN A BILLS UNI TODAY!!!!!! pardon the caps but im so excited about T.O. i want to see the bills keep rolling! i want to hear us talking about trading for G, TEs.... filling our holes...

jimbohastle51
I actually am getting the impression that as far as LB goes, the Bills are fairly set on keeping their powder dry, until the draft has played out. There are a few prospects that they probably would consider, but much will depend on where they fall, or indeed, if a DE they covet falls to them. Plan A, may well be to take Maualuga, as they could reasonably expect him to be available, with, for example, both Brown and Orakpo gone already.
Plan B, could involve one of the DE's falling to us, and consequently, we get back on the 'phone to June/Keiaho.

i agree, in my opinion they will draft mauluga at 11 and then trade back late into the first round to get either robert ayers or the kid from lsu (DE) and then grab a TE in round 3 (they will use probably our 2nd this year and 1st next to jump back into the first) and then look for the to get a center and a couple G/T late rounds.

DraftBoy
03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
i agree, in my opinion they will draft mauluga at 11 and then trade back late into the first round to get either robert ayers or the kid from lsu (DE) and then grab a TE in round 3 (they will use probably our 2nd this year and 1st next to jump back into the first) and then look for the to get a center and a couple G/T late rounds.
I dont either of the top two USC LB's. Matthews however Id pick up in Round 2 or 3.

jimbohastle51
03-12-2009, 11:38 AM
they can easily find a AQ shipley or a eric wood early in the 4th, or someone of there caliber, and same for a G, there is a couple nice guards that will be around in the middle of the draft. i really stand by my pick of mauluga, i think the bills really want him bad, and know that that would not only help now, as he is ready to play in the NFL right now, but then our LB corps, with poz, mitchell, and mauluga is set for years to come, and we can get back up in the late first or early second to get micheal johnson, robert ayers, or tyson jackson and honestly with the chance of missing being so high on the 3-4 top rated DE's taking ayers, jackson, or johnson may be smarter. every scout and analysis says mauluga is as sure thing at his position as it gets, he is alittle slow (40 time) but his skills and ability are elite.

jimbohastle51
03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I dont either of the top two USC LB's. Matthews however Id pick up in Round 2 or 3.

matthews is the best pass rusher of all of them, i think the dolphins are going to take him in round one with there pick.

jimbohastle51
03-12-2009, 11:40 AM
he is the perfect outside backer in a 3-4, tall quick with good burst, and is a solid pass rusher, exactly what miami needs.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I would def like Cushing or Mauleuga with the first but would not trade up. With all the teams looking at 3-4 rush lbers I'm pretty confident Ayers, Johnson, Sidbury Jr, or Barwin will be there with the 10th pick in the 2nd. All of those guys would come in and be situational guys (except Ayers) who would really help rush the passer. I really hope though we trade down, that is the best scenario.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Listen to Jauron's presser. I don't think any of the linebackers they interviewed is coming soon.

bigbub2352
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I think the only real starter we need is at OG. A DE, even from the 1st round, won't come in and start right away. A tight end doesn't need to - even if Fine doesn't scare anyone, he's still a decent TE. Like I keep saying - if our wide receivers are good enough, we won't need a Tony Gonzalez or Jason Witten. We could certainly USE one, but we don't need a stud receiving tight end.

I hate to disagree but a recieving TE is exactly what this offense needs and has needed for 9yrs, Trent is an underneath style QB, and i truly believe that even with our WRs u still need the TE to play alot better than what our Offense has been putting out
It would add even more threats and weapons to our offense that is not scaring anyone, Fine to me is exaclty perfect to fill in as a number 2 or 3 TE but we need someone to stretch the feild
We need a starter at DE Kelsay is a bum and Denney is a bum Bryan is a bum and Ellis is to early to tell but doesnt look good so far

Just saying we need 4 starters and Offseason isnt over so after all is said and done we will know what we need to draft

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think we have the luxury of taking a LB in the first round... DE is a way bigger need. We generated like 4 sacks for the DE position last year. Denney and Kelsay should be cut. The have no business being in the NFL.

Oaf
03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I'll say this much. You want a playmaker to contribute early? Draft a LB high. G, DE are both over TE as well at this point.

ddaryl
03-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't think we have the luxury of taking a LB in the first round... DE is a way bigger need. We generated like 4 sacks for the DE position last year. Denney and Kelsay should be cut. The have no business being in the NFL.

sure we do if that is where the BPA is and the player that gives us the best immeduiate impact..

we have a need for an OLB and IMO if a LB at #11 makes us better then jump al over it, cause there are some good ones to be had

WeAreArthurMoates
03-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Yes but the only guys worthy of that pick Orakpo and Brown will def be gone. If Raji is there we have to take him, if not it's gotta be Cushing or Maulega. Both guys our big LBers that can rush the passer, our front 7 improves and that's what I'm looking for the most. A more dominant front 7. There's a ton of speed rushers in this draft who can be had after the first. My favorite is Phillip Hunt, a 3rd rounder who I guarentee would be the 2nd best pass rusher on this team.

Oaf
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
sure we do if that is where the BPA is and the player that gives us the best immeduiate impact..

we have a need for an OLB and IMO if a LB at #11 makes us better then jump al over it, cause there are some good ones to be had
I'm not sure how great the LB class is but I'm willing to give Schobel and Ellis the benefit of the doubt, am not enamored with any DE beyond Orpako (who'll be long gone, and don't know much bout Ayers), and no guards worth taking at 11 although I'd be tempted with Duke Robinson.

Mudflap1
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Why do you guys get so excited for the draft and have all this hope that 4-5 holes will be filled with draft picks? Have you guys forgotten this organization's track record with the draft the last 8-9 years? Spotty at best... and that's not good when it's the main source of talent that this team depends on bringing in.

The Bills will be lucky to get 1 player in the draft that will contribute to the team this coming season, and will be lucky to get 2-3 players that will ever contribute. That's par for the course for them. I don't know why everyone is saying "LG in the 2nd round is an easy hole to fill". Maybe it's easy if you have low standards or want a guy who is going to get run over on the field ala Jason Whittle. Maybe it would be easy for someone like Pittsburgh, Indy, or New England. Not Buffalo, unless something changes this year.

Jon

ddaryl
03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
true mudflap, but FA doens't offer much of anything either...

so we simply must look at the draft. there are depth for players at our postions of need...

Mudflap1
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
true mudflap, but FA doens't offer much of anything either...

so we simply must look at the draft. there are depth for players at our postions of need...

I agree. I'm just saying it's a wet dream to think the Bills are realistically going to get a LG that will start Day One in the 2nd round, a DE or OLB that will be starting material Day One in the 1st round, a DE or OLB in the 3rd or 4th round, a TE somewhere along the line, and other depth. This team usually screws up at least half of the picks where they are complete worthless throwaways, then it's a crap shoot with the rest.

Remember last year? Everyone was all excited that Hardy would be this guy coming in right away and be an impact 2nd receiver? Time will ultimately tell if Hardy can be a productive player or not, but how did that work out last year? And McKelvin? He played towards the end of the year at CB because of injuries and played okay, promising enough that we hope he can be decent this year, but certainly not a "star". Ellis? The rest of the draft? Yes, these guys all need time to develop, but I'm seeing the same hype about the draft this year where people think these guys will be immediate impact players. It's not realistic. Best case scenario, if Buffalo nails the draft, we'll have 1 possible impact player, and a bunch of guys that will develop over a few years into impact players or contributors.

If the Bills want to make something happen for this coming season, they need to get a LG that is starting material via trade or free agency. Same with a LB that can at least start and be average (which would be automatically an upgrade over Ellison). There are no pass rushers out there available, so drafting one would work. Same with tight end. They almost don't have a choice on those two. Then depth on the O-line and other positions.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
See I do think they can get a starting guard in the 2nd or 3rd from day one. There going to have the pick of the litter and lots of guards have done this, center would be asking a lot but not guard. I don't think they need a starting D End rather just a situational pass rusher.

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Anyone who doesn't think DE is a burning need... go back and watch some film from last year. No pass rush whatsoever... opposing QB's had all day in the world to pick us apart.

Remember when the Jets played the cards and brought the heat every down and Warner looked like crap... and then the bills played them and couldn't get near him??? pathetic.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I think its a hugh need but there ain't gonna be any to take at 11. I would much rather not reach for a DE and take Cushing than draft a guy like Michael Johnson. We need a pass rusher for sure but Cushing or Maleuga will help in that department as well. There's a lot of great small school prospects at D End and we don't need to be reaching for one.