PDA

View Full Version : Bailey: Contract onus on Redskins

Gunzlingr
05-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey yesterday put the onus on the Washington Redskins to resolve his expiring contract and keep him off the free-agent market next spring.
"I signed [for] five [years], and whether [the Redskins] talk to me before or after [the deal expires], that's up to [them]," Bailey said after practice at Redskin Park. "You run your business like you want to. I know what I signed, and I know I'm here for five years. If you want it to be longer, come talk to me. But if you don't, I'll be gone after five years."
Neither the Redskins nor Bailey's camp have done more than preliminary work to address his status, NFL sources said. But with Washington pretty much done assembling the 2003 roster — and no first-round pick to sign — the club now has more than two months to focus on resolving the long-term futures of Bailey and linebacker LaVar Arrington.
Meanwhile, newly signed defensive end Regan Upshaw will undergo arthroscopic surgery on the knee he had surgically reconstructed last summer. Upshaw sat out last week's practices with swelling in the knee and an MRI revealed some loose material was causing his irritation

MORE (http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030513-67109084.htm)