PDA

View Full Version : Video: Dick Jauron's Press Conference On BB.com

LifetimeBillsFan
03-12-2009, 01:59 AM
He gives some interesting answers to some of the questions that have also been asked here. IMHO it is worth the more than 22 minutes it lasts.
http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/dick-jauron-meets-the-media/0b99a455-a33d-48c2-8897-7cf6d4f6a564

Perhaps the most interesting part of the interview for me was towards the end when he was asked about the LG position. When the question is asked, he immediately responds with "We're working on it". Then, you'll see him sort of catch himself and start talking about Chambers and Bell and all the different ways that they might address the position. I have to say that that initial reply came across to me like a Freudian slip that he then tried to cover up for making by half changing the subject.

Jauron generally plays things very "close to the vest" when talking to the media and is very careful in what he says. And, the Bills also don't like to say too much when they are working on deals until the deal is done. So, for Jauron to have answered the way that he did, I just get the impression that they are working on something that they don't want to talk about, in case it falls through, to address the position.

What it is? Who knows. Will whatever they are working on happen or fall through? It's anybody's guess. Will it fill the hole that they have at the position to most Bills fans' satisfaction? Very hard to fathom. We'll have to wait and see what, if anything, happens.

I also got the impression from the way that he answered the question about linebackers that maybe they aren't as keen on some of the guys that they have had in for visits at the position as we might imagine. If that's the case, it could lend some credence to the idea that some have raised that the Bills might take a LB at # 11 instead of a DE or TE.

If they feel that Chris Ellis will be able to raise his game enough to add as much or more than a rookie, with the return of A.Schobel to also help at DE, they may decide that they can get a better player and more immediate help this season by drafting a LB like B.Cushing or R.Maualuga. Linebacker is a position where a rookie can come in and have much more of an impact his first season in the league than DE. And, adding either one of those LBs would give the Bills a formidable LB corps.

Listen to Jauron's presser and post your thoughts on it and the way I have interpreted what he said on these two positions.

Oaf
03-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Where's HH at?

Luisito23
03-12-2009, 05:39 AM
Did he blink this time???....Haha, just messing with you LTBF, thanks for the post! :beers:

Luisito23
03-12-2009, 05:46 AM
If we draft a TE with our 1st. pick I'm gonna have a real bad week..LB is the smart and safe way to go, and I really do hope Ellis is at least somewhat competent because I'm sick and tired of all these draft day mistakes!

X-Era
03-12-2009, 06:13 AM
He gives some interesting answers to some of the questions that have also been asked here. IMHO it is worth the more than 22 minutes it lasts.
http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/dick-jauron-meets-the-media/0b99a455-a33d-48c2-8897-7cf6d4f6a564

Perhaps the most interesting part of the interview for me was towards the end when he was asked about the LG position. When the question is asked, he immediately responds with "We're working on it". Then, you'll see him sort of catch himself and start talking about Chambers and Bell and all the different ways that they might address the position. I have to say that that initial reply came across to me like a Freudian slip that he then tried to cover up for making by half changing the subject.

Jauron generally plays things very "close to the vest" when talking to the media and is very careful in what he says. And, the Bills also don't like to say too much when they are working on deals until the deal is done. So, for Jauron to have answered the way that he did, I just get the impression that they are working on something that they don't want to talk about, in case it falls through, to address the position.

What it is? Who knows. Will whatever they are working on happen or fall through? It's anybody's guess. Will it fill the hole that they have at the position to most Bills fans' satisfaction? Very hard to fathom. We'll have to wait and see what, if anything, happens.

I also got the impression from the way that he answered the question about linebackers that maybe they aren't as keen on some of the guys that they have had in for visits at the position as we might imagine. If that's the case, it could lend some credence to the idea that some have raised that the Bills might take a LB at # 11 instead of a DE or TE.

If they feel that Chris Ellis will be able to raise his game enough to add as much or more than a rookie, with the return of A.Schobel to also help at DE, they may decide that they can get a better player and more immediate help this season by drafting a LB like B.Cushing or R.Maualuga. Linebacker is a position where a rookie can come in and have much more of an impact his first season in the league than DE. And, adding either one of those LBs would give the Bills a formidable LB corps.

Listen to Jauron's presser and post your thoughts on it and the way I have interpreted what he said on these two positions.

shhh, I dont want to say thins too loud, but drafting an ILB like Maualuga is a very distinct possibility.

If they feel that the top 3 DE's arent suited to be a 4-3 end, or if they think only one is, like Orakpo, but hes gone and Curry is long gone, drafting an ILB and moving Poz outside is a real posibility.

Heres the part I have to be hush about, its possible that they draft Rey and play him at OLB.

methos4ever
03-12-2009, 07:36 AM
I also think a guy like Everett Brown, much like Cushing could play LB for 2 downs and then put his hand in the dirt on the money down.

I agree wrt the guard issue - though personally I think in the draft they'll target a guard in the 2/3 vicinity, or dangle a guy that is available in a trade-back. Or so I tell myself...

ddaryl
03-12-2009, 07:41 AM

Hmmmm.... Trade with KC or another team who has a qualtiy guard they don't want off the books ????

ddaryl
03-12-2009, 07:42 AM
I also think a guy like Everett Brown, much like Cushing could play LB for 2 downs and then put his hand in the dirt on the money down.

I agree wrt the guard issue - though personally I think in the draft they'll target a guard in the 2/3 vicinity, or dangle a guy that is available in a trade-back. Or so I tell myself...

lots of OLB options at #11 if you include the undersized DE crowd...

LifetimeBillsFan
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
lots of OLB options at #11 if you include the undersized DE crowd...

The problem with the undersized DEs being shifted to LB is that it is easier for a LB to learn how to put his hand down and rush the passer (Derrick Thomas) than it is for a guy who has primarily played DE to learn how to play in space, especially in pass coverage (think of Kiwanuka) as required at LB.

The coaching staff and probably the Guy and Modrak need to win now to keep their jobs and will want someone who can help immediately. The learning curve for LBs is shorter for LBs than DEs or guys who are learning a new position.

shhh, I dont want to say thins too loud, but drafting an ILB like Maualuga is a very distinct possibility.

If they feel that the top 3 DE's arent suited to be a 4-3 end, or if they think only one is, like Orakpo, but hes gone and Curry is long gone, drafting an ILB and moving Poz outside is a real posibility.

Heres the part I have to be hush about, its possible that they draft Rey and play him at OLB.

It's possible that they could draft Maualuga to play at OLB, but here's what works against that theory: 1.) Maualuga had a terrible 40 time at The Combine workouts and has primarily played MLB; 2.) Posluzny won the Butkus Award as a junior playing OLB, he was shifted to MLB after his injury and to accomodate Connor, so his learning curve on the outside should be shorter; 3.) there was already mention of Poz possibly shifting to the outside if the Bills were to sign a MLB in free agency, but keeping the helmet with headphones built in--Peterson was the only MLB that they brought in for a visit, as I recall, and he turned them down because they only offered a one year deal as opposed to the 3 yr pact he got to play OLB with Atlanta.

When the idea that they might draft a LB instead of DE or TE first came to me, I initially dismissed it. Then, I listened to the press conference again. And, connected what Jauron said with what Brandon said about staying in touch with the people that they have had in for visits: if the Bills wanted to fill their need at OLB with a FA, June and Keiaho are there to be had--June has had some very productive seasons, and they haven't been in to see any other teams because not that many play the Tampa 2 scheme now, so why keep them on a string and not sign one of them right now?

The money that they would have to give them now or a month from now is not going to be all that different, so, if they really wanted one of them, why not get the guy signed, sealed and delivered now? Instead, if you listen to what Jauron said, it sounds like these were just exploratory meetings where they didn't even offer either one of them a contract. Why not?

The only reason that I can think of is that they want to see if they can go another way to make a bigger upgrade at the position. A trade? It's possible. But, they are ideally situated in the draft to make such an upgrade at less cost--particularly if they feel that Schobel will be fully recovered and think that Ellis has made sufficient progress towards being able to upgrade their pass-rush from the DE position as well (remember, Ellis did see some limited playing time and initially was able to get some pressure on the opposing QB, but he was a "one trick pony" and was quickly neutralized in subsequent games, so he did show that he does have some ability, just didn't have a big enough bag of tricks to change things up when the opposition took away the few moves that he had (while I'm not saying that Ellis will be as successful as they have become, if you recall Mario Williams and Justin Tuck encountered similar problems when they were rookies before they added more tricks to their arsenals--now, please, don't jump to the conclusion that I am saying that Ellis will become as good as M.Williams or Tuck because I am not, I'm just pointing out that there is a rather steep learning curve for pass-rushing DEs that impacts even the best of them as rookies)).

Because they have several holes to fill, I still think that the Bills could go in a number of different ways, depending on how things shake out in the draft. For that reason--and because getting Jason Peters extended is their biggest priority--I think that they are trying to keep their options open as much as possible at this point and may not make as many moves in free agency as I/we would like to see them make before the draft. There hasn't been much movement on the interior offensive linemen that are available so far or interest in June and Keiaho (Winborn just made the only other visit that he has made since visiting the Bills as well), so why rush to sign a free agent now when they may be able to get a better talent through a trade, the draft or if someone cuts a better player than those available prior to the draft? This would especially make sense when it comes to filling their need at OLB.

Unless someone at another position unexpectedly falls into their lap in Round 2, I fully expect that the Bills will use their second and third round picks to take an interior offensive lineman and a tight end. In what order, I can't say, but, as things stand right now, I would suspect that they would take an offensive lineman first because they are still likely to be able to get a pretty good TE prospect in the third round. However, counting the number of offensive linemen that they have on the roster presently, they still need quite a few more, so making a trade or signing a starter quality free agent would by NO means preclude them from drafting one or more O-linemen (one early and one or more in the later rounds).

Mudflap1
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
There's a link to the transcript here... :rofl:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=171254

justasportsfan
03-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Interesting press conference, he barely said "we need to get better....... I need to to a better job"

bigbub2352
03-12-2009, 11:50 AM
His interveiw is so half ass he sounds like a book on tape

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
he also is the most politically correct coach ever do u have any opinions dick do u?

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm not trying to read into anything anymore... I would have bet my life against T.O. coming to the Bills. I just don't know what to expect anymore.

Buddo
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
As of now, I'm not waiting for them to sign a LB before the draft. I think they will very much be waiting to see how the draft pans out, before doing anything about it.
Much will depend on who is available when we come to pick. I can see a number of different scenarios unfolding tbh. It's quite possible that both of the DEs could be there, and it is possible, we don't think either of them are that good a 'fit' for us. I would've thought that Brown could be the pick, but who knows.
It may be that they only like one of the two, and the one they like has already gone. It could also be that both get taken, before we pick. Under just about any of those circumstances, and assuming he is available, I think Maualuga is the pick tbh.
On the other hand, if the guy they like does 'fall' to us, they will pretty certainly take him, and then you may well see June or Keiaho signed, unless they have someone like Mathews drop into their lap in the second round.
Personally speaking, I don't much like our options for drafting a DE this year. Other recent years, have seemed to me to have had much greater talent available, and I'm not convinced either Brown or Orakpo, is so good as to be a guaranteed top 20 pick, on any other criteria than teams 'needs'. There may well be good depth in the class at DE, but I don't see 'elite' talent, like there has been in recent years. ( e.g. Williams, Long etc.).
The point I'm trying to get at, is that while we should be drafting for the future, and for the future we do need DE help, I'm not convinced at all that it is going to be there for us at #11.
Even if both Brown and Orakpo were available, if Maualuga was as well, I'd rather draft him tbh, as I think he will become a core player for many years, whereas the other guys, I'm really not convinced about. On that same premise, tbh, I'd probably even draft Pettigrew ahead of them as well, as he also would solve the problems we have had at TE for years to come.
The only other distinct possibilities to me, would be Raji or one of the fit O-Linemen falling (not Smith!). An outside shot would be converting Jenkins to safety, but I think that would be very much a 'luxury' pick.

hydro
03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
He "likes" everyone!

Michael82
03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm.... Trade with KC or another team who has a qualtiy guard they don't want off the books ????
I'm thinking the same thing. It really seems to make a lot of sense and will give us a pro bowl guard who can mentor the rookie for a couple years. :up: