X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Mike Lombardi with AFC East Questions

Think Lombardi does a good job with this. He looks at each team in the division and raises questions about the biggest issues remaining to be addressed, pre-draft.

Here are his questions about the Bills:

BUFFALO

1. Can they find some rushers? Pass rush is a huge concern. The Bills had only 23 sacks last year and might improve with a healthy Aaron Schobel, but finding a rusher is still a huge need.

2. Who is the left guard? The Bills must fix their offensive line. They let Derrick Dockery go, which wasn’t a big loss, but they must find a solid left guard who can handle the starting job.

3. Who is going to be the tight end? Tight end is a huge concern in both the running and passing game. The Bills lack a legitimate blocker and a player who can make plays in the kicking game.

4. Where’s the depth at defensive tackle? The Bills tried to trade John McCargo last year; they need more size and power inside.

5. Can a team with this much talent in the kicking game miss seven kicks outside the 40-yard line? The Bills ranked 28th in the NFL in field goal percentage last season; it might be time to think about finding a young leg.
    I hadn't thought about the last one, but it is an interesting point. Maybe Buffalo drafts a kicker?
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Mike Lombardi with AFC East Questions

I reported a few weeks ago that the Bills were interested in Mike Nugent, before he ended up signing somewhere else (I wanna say Tampa?)

I think the Bills are definitely going to sign or draft a kicker to give Lindell competition.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

"and with the 11th pick, the bills select....a kicker". If we are playing to be the best (Special teams unit), then we got to draft to be the best (special teams unit)

i have ragged on Fancy I for a few years. his stats have been deceiving because he rarely is asked to kick outside the 40. but i think last year the bills were frustrated with him towards the end of the season. I'd be happy with a late round pickup to see what's out there in terms of kicking upgrades.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Valid point on the kicker, but right now I'd say kicker is no higher than 7th on Buffalo's needs list. First, we need:

DE
        LG
        OLB
        TE
        OL Depth
        DL depth
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Valid point on the kicker, but right now I'd say kicker is no higher than 7th on Buffalo's needs list. First, we need:

DE
          LG
          OLB
          TE
          OL Depth
          DL depth

I concur... that is exactly the way I see it and in the same order of importence.

there are no DE's in FA that we will pursue though, so LG and OLB in FA the rest in the draft

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

I said all of this begining of last year + #2 wr position - lg position as we still had dockery. Well we got TO and the rest I see is still here.

# 1 and # 2 pick should be OLB and DE in any order. I still think we should trade down and find a way to sign owen daniels if not LJ smith to a one year.There are some 2nd teir DE that can be had later in the draft and come in on third downs to spell schobel..olb for cover 2 are also plentiful as they are smaller Lb's and can be had later in the draft. Also we use more maulers and space eaters then athetic pulling types of guards and those type are also found later in the draft.

No panic yet.

Originally posted by NE39
            Think Lombardi does a good job with this. He looks at each team in the division and raises questions about the biggest issues remaining to be addressed, pre-draft.

Here are his questions about the Bills:

I hadn't thought about the last one, but it is an interesting point. Maybe Buffalo drafts a kicker?
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by acehole
              I still think we should trade down and find a way to sign owen daniels if not LJ smith to a one year.
              Trading down in hopes of giving up a lower first for Daniels is not possible. To sign a RFA, you need to be able to compensate with a pick at the level of your original draft position or higher. With Daniels being tendered at the 1st and 3rd level, it means Buffalo needs a first at #11 or higher and a 3rd at #75 or higher, in case Houston did not match. If you were to trade down you couldn't sign him to an offer sheet.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

Pass rush
                Pass Catcher
                Pass Blocker
                Pass Rush
                we need 4 starters still lets go front office
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

LG is easily top priority in my book. At least we have bodies at DE no matter how average they may be.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                    Pass rush
                    Pass Catcher
                    Pass Blocker
                    Pass Rush
                    we need 4 starters still lets go front office
                    actually, I wish we could get 4 new starters in the front office. Brandon, Guy, Modrak and Overdorf all need to go.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

he sure pointed out our holes except he missed lb'er to replace Ellison.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

This is actually a very strong Kicker class too. Just saying...

Yea I know Im a nerd... :db:
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Oaf
                          Do you read what you write?
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37

DE
                          LG
                          OLB
                          TE
                          OL Depth
                          DL depth
                          Fully agreed on TE being 4th Op. One thing to consider is, unless we sign June (I say unlikely at this point, but that's just a guess) would you rather start Kelsay/Denney/Ellis or Ellison? I would actually swap DE with OLB. I want to see a guy with TALENT there that won't make the Mitchell mistakes but also make the Mitchell plays. I can give Ellis another shot and add another 3rd rounder to the mix. If we can sign another vet olineman, I say we grab a safety project instead there.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
                            Fully agreed on TE being 4th Op. One thing to consider is, unless we sign June (I say unlikely at this point, but that's just a guess) would you rather start Kelsay/Denney/Ellis or Ellison? I would actually swap DE with OLB. I want to see a guy with TALENT there that won't make the Mitchell mistakes but also make the Mitchell plays. I can give Ellis another shot and add another 3rd rounder to the mix. If we can sign another vet olineman, I say we grab a safety project instead there.
                            Ouch, that really puts things in perspective. We're probably not going to get OLB and DE in FA, which gives us the choice of starting either Kelsay/Denney/Ellis or Keith Ellison. That's a terrible position to be in.

But I think you're right- we're probably better off replacing Ellison and giving Ellis another shot. He didn't look good last year, but there's still a chance he will improve.
                            Last edited by OpIv37; 03-12-2009, 12:14 PM.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DrGraves
                              • Mar 2008

Lefty Kevin Kelly from PSU is awesome... I would love to pick him up. He can actually boot the ball through the endzone for touchbacks, unlike Lindell.. I don't think I've ever seen Lindell have a touchback lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X