PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lombardi with AFC East Questions

Ickybaluky
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Think Lombardi does a good job with this (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/diner-morning-news-afc-east/). He looks at each team in the division and raises questions about the biggest issues remaining to be addressed, pre-draft.

Here are his questions about the Bills:

BUFFALO

1. Can they find some rushers? Pass rush is a huge concern. The Bills had only 23 sacks last year and might improve with a healthy Aaron Schobel, but finding a rusher is still a huge need.

2. Who is the left guard? The Bills must fix their offensive line. They let Derrick Dockery go, which wasn’t a big loss, but they must find a solid left guard who can handle the starting job.

3. Who is going to be the tight end? Tight end is a huge concern in both the running and passing game. The Bills lack a legitimate blocker and a player who can make plays in the kicking game.

4. Where’s the depth at defensive tackle? The Bills tried to trade John McCargo last year; they need more size and power inside.

5. Can a team with this much talent in the kicking game miss seven kicks outside the 40-yard line? The Bills ranked 28th in the NFL in field goal percentage last season; it might be time to think about finding a young leg.

I hadn't thought about the last one, but it is an interesting point. Maybe Buffalo drafts a kicker?

patmoran2006
03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I reported a few weeks ago that the Bills were interested in Mike Nugent, before he ended up signing somewhere else (I wanna say Tampa?)

I think the Bills are definitely going to sign or draft a kicker to give Lindell competition.

trapezeus
03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
"and with the 11th pick, the bills select....a kicker". If we are playing to be the best (Special teams unit), then we got to draft to be the best (special teams unit)

i have ragged on Fancy I for a few years. his stats have been deceiving because he rarely is asked to kick outside the 40. but i think last year the bills were frustrated with him towards the end of the season. I'd be happy with a late round pickup to see what's out there in terms of kicking upgrades.

OpIv37
03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Valid point on the kicker, but right now I'd say kicker is no higher than 7th on Buffalo's needs list. First, we need:

DE
LG
OLB
TE
OL Depth
DL depth

ddaryl
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Valid point on the kicker, but right now I'd say kicker is no higher than 7th on Buffalo's needs list. First, we need:

DE
LG
OLB
TE
OL Depth
DL depth

I concur... that is exactly the way I see it and in the same order of importence.

there are no DE's in FA that we will pursue though, so LG and OLB in FA the rest in the draft

acehole
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I said all of this begining of last year + #2 wr position - lg position as we still had dockery. Well we got TO and the rest I see is still here.

# 1 and # 2 pick should be OLB and DE in any order. I still think we should trade down and find a way to sign owen daniels if not LJ smith to a one year.There are some 2nd teir DE that can be had later in the draft and come in on third downs to spell schobel..olb for cover 2 are also plentiful as they are smaller Lb's and can be had later in the draft. Also we use more maulers and space eaters then athetic pulling types of guards and those type are also found later in the draft.

No panic yet.

Think Lombardi does a good job with this (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/diner-morning-news-afc-east/). He looks at each team in the division and raises questions about the biggest issues remaining to be addressed, pre-draft.

Here are his questions about the Bills:

I hadn't thought about the last one, but it is an interesting point. Maybe Buffalo drafts a kicker?

Ickybaluky
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I still think we should trade down and find a way to sign owen daniels if not LJ smith to a one year.

Trading down in hopes of giving up a lower first for Daniels is not possible. To sign a RFA, you need to be able to compensate with a pick at the level of your original draft position or higher. With Daniels being tendered at the 1st and 3rd level, it means Buffalo needs a first at #11 or higher and a 3rd at #75 or higher, in case Houston did not match. If you were to trade down you couldn't sign him to an offer sheet.

bigbub2352
03-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Pass rush
Pass Catcher
Pass Blocker
Pass Rush
we need 4 starters still lets go front office

madness
03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
LG is easily top priority in my book. At least we have bodies at DE no matter how average they may be.

OpIv37
03-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Pass rush
Pass Catcher
Pass Blocker
Pass Rush
we need 4 starters still lets go front office

actually, I wish we could get 4 new starters in the front office. Brandon, Guy, Modrak and Overdorf all need to go.

justasportsfan
03-12-2009, 10:54 AM
he sure pointed out our holes except he missed lb'er to replace Ellison.

DraftBoy
03-12-2009, 10:55 AM
This is actually a very strong Kicker class too. Just saying...

Yea I know Im a nerd... :db:

Oaf
03-12-2009, 12:11 PM

DE
LG
OLB
TE
OL Depth
DL depth

Fully agreed on TE being 4th Op. One thing to consider is, unless we sign June (I say unlikely at this point, but that's just a guess) would you rather start Kelsay/Denney/Ellis or Ellison? I would actually swap DE with OLB. I want to see a guy with TALENT there that won't make the Mitchell mistakes but also make the Mitchell plays. I can give Ellis another shot and add another 3rd rounder to the mix. If we can sign another vet olineman, I say we grab a safety project instead there.

OpIv37
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Fully agreed on TE being 4th Op. One thing to consider is, unless we sign June (I say unlikely at this point, but that's just a guess) would you rather start Kelsay/Denney/Ellis or Ellison? I would actually swap DE with OLB. I want to see a guy with TALENT there that won't make the Mitchell mistakes but also make the Mitchell plays. I can give Ellis another shot and add another 3rd rounder to the mix. If we can sign another vet olineman, I say we grab a safety project instead there.

Ouch, that really puts things in perspective. We're probably not going to get OLB and DE in FA, which gives us the choice of starting either Kelsay/Denney/Ellis or Keith Ellison. That's a terrible position to be in.

But I think you're right- we're probably better off replacing Ellison and giving Ellis another shot. He didn't look good last year, but there's still a chance he will improve.

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Lefty Kevin Kelly from PSU is awesome... I would love to pick him up. He can actually boot the ball through the endzone for touchbacks, unlike Lindell.. I don't think I've ever seen Lindell have a touchback lol.

ParanoidAndroid
03-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Lindell is pretty much money inside 40. Not kicking from longer distances could be attributed to the conservative approach by the coach as much as his kicking ability. It is also standard for AFC East kickers to not have very many attempts beyond 45 yards with the acception of Miami. It's a reflection of climate. However, Lindell had more attempts outside 40 than any other kicker in the AFC East, so I'm not sure where the idea came from that he's not asked to kick much?
Lindell was a better kicker than Nugent in 2007. Go ahead and compare stats with Feely last year. Gostkowski had one attempt outside 50 last year but had 11 attempts from 40+ and made 9 of them. Lindell attempted 15 and made 10 as well as 3-1 from 50+. He had a short stretch last year where he seemed off a bit, but I think it's safe to say that was a glitch.
His shortfall (no pun intended) is his lack of touchbacks, but touchbacks have been difficult in Buffalo as well. Christie didn't get many either. His hangtime is good, however and we have an excelent coverage team.
Teams always bring in kickers during the offseason and this year will be no different. It will be tough for a new kicker to take Lindell's job.

psubills62
03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Lefty Kevin Kelly from PSU is awesome... I would love to pick him up. He can actually boot the ball through the endzone for touchbacks, unlike Lindell.. I don't think I've ever seen Lindell have a touchback lol.

Ugh...I still can't get that 2006 Orange Bowl out of my mind when I think of Kevin Kelly. He's improved, thankfully.