PDA

View Full Version : Why Pettigrew?

Mitchell55
03-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Stat wise, he is one of the worst in the draft, hes slow, attitude problems, and his max in TDs in his college career is 4.

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Because Mel Kiper says so.

The Spaz
03-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Because Mel Kiper says so.

Not just Kiper Mayock has him as the best too. I am not thrilled with him at all. I want Cook or Nelson. I would prefer to have Nelson though.

bigbub2352
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Pettigrew has bust written all over him, to be honest i just dont see it, he reminds me alot of Bubba Franks coming out of school but with out the production
We need someone with some serious reciving and redzone capability
Pettigrew has trouble getting open in the seem and seperating from LBers

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I still think we should just grab Tony and Waters from KC... we must have something we can give them. Kill two birds with one stone.

ddaryl
03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Stat wise, he is one of the worst in the draft, hes slow, attitude problems, and his max in TDs in his college career is 4.

Oklahoma ran the ball over 60% of the time and boasted one of the nations top WR's on the team. So his blocking skills were utilized more often then his receiving skills

Pettigrew also had 40 catches on the team, and was the only other player to have 40 or more catches last season on the team.

He is a great blocker which should never be underestimated...

and he knows how to get into space and make a catch.. He may not be a downfield threat but we have Evans and Owens for that.

At #11 I wouldn't draft him, but if we trade down I would have no problems with the pick up. I think he'll be a solid pro, and can make an impact in year 1.

but I prefer OL, DL and LB before TE in round 1

justasportsfan
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I still think we should just grab Tony and Waters from KC... we must have something we can give them. Kill two birds with one stone.
Gonzales doesn't want to be here. He's made that loud and clear.

T-Long
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Pettigrew is the top TE, but we won't go TE at pick #11. It will be DE or OLB

Night Train
03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I'd throw something at the TV if we went TE first...
Find them later, where depth is evident.
G,LB,DE,DT early.

T-Long
03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd throw something at the TV if we went TE first...
Find them later, where depth is evident.
G,LB,DE,DT early.
Don't worry, I'll be there and I'll run up to the table and punch the guy on the phone in the mouth

methos4ever
03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
If Raji, Orakpo, Brown and Maybin are gone, why not? We could always pick up a Sidbury in round 2 or 3.

Don't Panic
03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
The need for a TE went down DRAMATICALLY with the TO signing. Front seven are our #1 priority right now... DE and OLB. We should definitely be using our #11 there. As for Tony G, it would be interesting to see if he would like to play here now that we have enhanced our WR corps. Adding him (and Waters?) would make us a top 5 offense (if Lynch stays out of trouble and Trent shows even modest improvement). What do you think it would take pick-wise to get them both? A 3rd and a 4th? How about a 3rd and Kelsay...

methos4ever
03-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Waters is in KC, so because of the Belicheck connection I doubt he'd trade him to us to hurt the guy that gave him a franchise qb and a lb for a song. If anything I'd anticipate him being a Pat.

TO's presence hasn't lessen the need for the TE, it will accentuate it, but not lessen it. Look at it this way: by having a top notch tight end, like Pettigrew for the sake of the argument, that year he's learning on the job and developing, we have TO to take pressure off him and allow him to develop slower. If TO leaves next year, we have a TE that is ready to be a bigger part and Evans and Hardy.

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Gonzales doesn't want to be here. He's made that loud and clear.

no one wanted to be here pre- T.O... now some people might think we are somewhat relevant..

DrGraves
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
1,000 posts wow... i need a life, or the bills need to start winning! haha

The Jokeman
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Because Derek and Derek aren't starting material at TE and the Bills seem to take more for need then take the value based approach to the draft. Personally I won't argue that Pettigrew is the best TE in the draft but he sure as hell isn't worth pick #11. Of course Whitner wasn't worth the pick we took him at and had questions if Lynch was worth the pick we picked him at as the case for McKelvin which makes Pettigrew make more and more sense. Of course using the same logic Maybin makes sense too.

BuffaloRanger
03-13-2009, 02:12 AM
At #11 you better get a game changing TE, not just a great blocker. Much better value at TE in the 2nd rd.

Bills need a stud LB or DE at #11. Period.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Because Derek and Derek aren't starting material at TE and the Bills seem to take more for need then take the value based approach to the draft. Personally I won't argue that Pettigrew is the best TE in the draft but he sure as hell isn't worth pick #11. Of course Whitner wasn't worth the pick we took him at and had questions if Lynch was worth the pick we picked him at as the case for McKelvin which makes Pettigrew make more and more sense. Of course using the same logic Maybin makes sense too.

Wait a second...Whitner wasn't worth the 8th pick...Lynch would have been worth the pick if he wasn't a bonehead off the field. But McKelvin? He was definitely a value pick and was not expected to drop to us at all.

The Jokeman
03-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Wait a second...Whitner wasn't worth the 8th pick...Lynch would have been worth the pick if he wasn't a bonehead off the field. But McKelvin? He was definitely a value pick and was not expected to drop to us at all.
For what we used him for, primarily a nickel CB and kick off returner, he only started because of Greer's injury, I don't think McKelvin was worth where we picked him.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
For what we used him for, primarily a nickel CB and kick off returner, he only started because of Greer's injury, I don't think McKelvin was worth where we picked him.

He wasn't primarily a nickel back. They rarely worked him there, since his strength is outside. He played almost as good as you could expect a rookie to play. It was his first year, what do you expect? Gee, I'm sorry he didn't go to the Pro Bowl, guess he was a sucky pick.

DeathByBu
03-14-2009, 02:08 AM
I hope Pettigrew does not get picked with the first rounder, simply because adding T.O drastically takes away the need for a tight end to move the chains for the short plays.

T.O, is in essence, a superpowered Tight End who can also go deep. Pettigrew is a blocking Tight End who has occasional sparks of greatness.

I think the Bills need to go with defense...they have so many offensive weapons, that adding another tight end would have a minimal effect. They need better offensive lineman, and better front line defensive players.

On the flip side, Trent is a checkdown type of guy, and maybe it would benefit him greatly if he had a big tight end that would act as his safety blanket. I appreciate Pettigrews skills, I just do not think he fits what the Bills organization needs at the moment.

The Jokeman
03-14-2009, 06:56 AM
He wasn't primarily a nickel back. They rarely worked him there, since his strength is outside. He played almost as good as you could expect a rookie to play. It was his first year, what do you expect? Gee, I'm sorry he didn't go to the Pro Bowl, guess he was a sucky pick.
He played well for a rookie don't get me wrong but we could have traded down and maybe acquired a few more picks and gotten a similar player like Cromartie etc. As to me the draft about acquiring the best group of players which all too often the Bills don't seem to do of late.

evol4276
03-14-2009, 06:58 AM
my only question is how many 1st rd te's have turned out to be all pro's in the last 8 years??

Jan Reimers
03-14-2009, 07:24 AM
There is no TE in this draft worthy of the 11th overall pick.

psubills62
03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
He played well for a rookie don't get me wrong but we could have traded down and maybe acquired a few more picks and gotten a similar player like Cromartie etc. As to me the draft about acquiring the best group of players which all too often the Bills don't seem to do of late.

That's nice to say in hindsight. But at the time it was generally agreed that McKelvin was the best overall CB prospect. DRC was much more of a boom or bust pick, and many thought the latter was all too possible. I guarantee that McKelvin was rated more highly on every draft board than DRC. So let me ask you something - are you going to be unhappy this year if Raji falls to the 11th pick, and we trade back to grab Evander Hood? Or if Alex Mack fell to our second-round pick and we traded back to get Antoine Caldwell. It just wouldn't make much sense - grab the best player on the board. For once, the Bills did that and you don't like it?

I just have a hard time believing that you're unhappy that we got the best CB prospect in last year's draft. How often do you have the chance to get the best prospect at any position at 11 (besides TE, OG, OC)?

yordad
03-14-2009, 11:03 AM
That's nice to say in hindsight. But at the time it was generally agreed that McKelvin was the best overall CB prospect. DRC was much more of a boom or bust pick, and many thought the latter was all too possible. I guarantee that McKelvin was rated more highly on every draft board than DRC. So let me ask you something - are you going to be unhappy this year if Raji falls to the 11th pick, and we trade back to grab Evander Hood? Or if Alex Mack fell to our second-round pick and we traded back to get Antoine Caldwell. It just wouldn't make much sense - grab the best player on the board. For once, the Bills did that and you don't like it?

I just have a hard time believing that you're unhappy that we got the best CB prospect in last year's draft. How often do you have the chance to get the best prospect at any position at 11 (besides TE, OG, OC)?I don't believe McKelvin was higher on everyones board, and I don't know how you could "guarantee" he was. Not to mention, I have strong evidence that you are wrong.

Either way, it seems to have been a good pick thus far.

The Jokeman
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM

I just have a hard time believing that you're unhappy that we got the best CB prospect in last year's draft. How often do you have the chance to get the best prospect at any position at 11 (besides TE, OG, OC)?
We can argue if McKelvin was the best player left on the board last year but of the picks I brought up he might have been the closest value vs pick we made the last three years as
the best prospect at one position might not be the best overall player look no further then Whitner he was the best remaining S on the board but they were plenty of players that graded out higher then him such as Broderick Bunkley and had we taken him we might have gotten a SS like Roman Harper in Round 2 and kept the additional pick we traded away for McCargo.

I don't think if Raji fell I'd be disappointed passing on him because I've stated before that feel Kyle Williams is best served as a backup. That said I think a better DT for us would be Peria Jerry. As to me he offers up some pass rushing skills we lack with Stroud and Williams and McCargo so while Ratji might be a better overall DT he might not ultimately serve our need for the position because I don't lump all DTs together in one mass like some do. As if look back to great cover 2 defenses the Bucs had Warren Sapp and the Bears have/had Tommie Harris. So all things considered if it came down to taking Pettigrew or Jerry I'd take Jerry but the wiser move would be to trade down and then take either one lower and acquire another pick later to use on another player. As again the key to any draft is coming away with the best group of players. In terms of Hood, I like him too but think he should be available in the late (see pick 24 or lower) 1st Round or early 2nd and wouldn't trade up for him but trading down for him isn't a bad idea.