PDA

View Full Version : Browns OT Shaffer Released

methos4ever
03-12-2009, 05:58 PM
http://cle.scout.com/2/846715.html

Played LG for the Falcons when he was on the team. Good candidate to bring in for a look-see..

WeAreArthurMoates
03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Very good for a look-see. Wasn't great in Cleveland but very good in Hotlanta. Plus the dude has a mean streak unlike a certain LG that we way overpaid for.

Buddo
03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
You have to be curious sometimes, about how well different teams know their rivals cap situations. Maybe the Bills are holding off still, due to one or two other guys maybe being released?
Note, I would have no real idea if that was the case, or who, when, if etc., but it may be more than merely idle speculation.

Mudflap1
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
What does our resident Browns' aficionado think?

Sounds fine to me to have him in for a visit...

Mr. Pink
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Shaffer was asked to restructure his contract and was due a 1 million dollar roster bonus tomorrow. Apparently he didn't agree to terms on restructuring his deal.

He, however, was a colossal FA bust by the prior regime.

He did start 16 games at LT in 06 and 16 at RT in 07, 15 last year at RT

So he does have experience at both tackle positions.

A mean streak is what the people raved about when he was first signed by Cleveland but to be honest, I don't remember really seeing it. And the line was majorly improved in 07 when Joe Thomas came in at LT. We all know the LT position is more important than RT.

However, his base this year was only 2.65 with that million dollar bonus due Friday...they've already sunk a ton in him mostly signing bonus when the deal was first struck...and it's not like 2.65 is much these days for an NFLer. The new regime must not have liked what they saw in the guy.

I don't think he would be an upgrade over Walker, nor has he played at guard in at least 4 years. Plus I doubt he's gonna wanna take backup money seeing he didn't wanna restructure...

Backup money...bring him in and he can adequately backup both tackle spots.
Starter money...pass.

patmoran2006
03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
THey got Chambers already back, and signed Jonathan Scott at the end of last year. They're not going to look at him, unless it was as a guard.

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2009, 07:03 PM
......and probably won't sign a Guard who is used to getting Tackle money

The Jokeman
03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
......and probably won't sign a Guard who is used to getting Tackle money
Hell we won't even sign a Tackle (Peters) Tackle money.