PDA

View Full Version : This is no way to run a team...

BuffaloRanger
03-13-2009, 01:57 AM
From the Buffalo News interview with Dick Jauron:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/605230.html?imw=Y

The Bills still have work to do in the offseason. They need a starting guard and a starting outside linebacker. The Bills had two veteran linebacker prospects in last week in Cato June and Freddy Keiaho. Jauron said the plan since last week was to take a bit of time deciding on the linebacker spot.

“When they came through we were very up front with them,“ Jauron said of June and Keiaho. “We told them we didn’t know that we’d do anything immediately. We clearly liked them, that’s why they were here. We wanted them to get a feel for us, and us to get a feel for them face to face, so that if down the line here we got back to them, we could do something quickly if we wanted to and if they wanted to.”

Seriously, this is pathetic. Talk about paralysis by analysis. How long does it take to decide if you want a player? It appears the choice is between one of 2 FA LBs or spending a 1st or 2nd rd draft pick on best LB available.

The Bills seem content to let these FAs (or another team that signs them first) decide the offseason moves they will make.

Yes, I know some will point to the fact that since these players aren't signed yet its an indication that they aren't that great. That could in fact be true. But they are better then what we have. And what's wrong with signing them and then still drafting a LB? Quality depth is something the Bills haven't had recently. A few injuries kill the Bills every year.

I just don't see how the Bills think they have the luxury of waiting to pick and choose. They have more holes to fill then decent draft picks. Drafted rookies aren't going to fill all the holes.

Who's the LG? Where's the backup interior linemen? Will they all be rookies this season? OLB anyone? Will the pass rush still be done by committee of slow white guys?

And no, I don't trust the front office. I'm glad they got TO. But I'm afraid it looks like their saying "Look we did something big, now shut up." Judging by their results this decade they are one of the worst in the NFL. That leaves them wide open to be criticized by Bills fans for not doing enough.

shelby
03-13-2009, 05:49 AM
We hear that criticism every year....that the FO doesn't do enough to improve the team.

It's frustrating.

X-Era
03-13-2009, 05:54 AM
"The Bills seem content to let these FAs (or another team that signs them first) decide the offseason moves they will make."

Umm, the players DO get to choose where they want to go, hence the term "FREE" agents. We just cant force someone to sign.

That said, both of these guys are still out there so they dont have a lot of market either. But, yes, Id like the Bills to just hurry up and do something.

With Kugler looking at OL in Ok. Its making me wonder if they are comparing the free agents left out there with the possible draftees to make the best call. I almost like that idea.

I guess my thought on what they might be doing is this:
1) start free agency by adding a few players that have lots of upside for them
2) When things cool off and they are down to second or third tier free agents, layout out your first shot at the draft board.
3) compare who you could get and where to who is left in free agency

That way, we dont sign someone who will fill a spot but may never be good enough when we could have had a highly thought of rookie with more potential.

The thought being that if you can draft a guy who can play as good ro close to a 3rd tier free agent off the bat but then develop into a solid starter or better with the significant playing time they will get, that thats a better route.

Maybe this looks to curb the Reyes, Fowler, Anderson syndrome that we seem to have where we sign guys that dont adequately fill the role, stunt the growth of a young guy behind them, only to release them and have to start all over.

Do I agree with it? I dont know. I will say that it seems the Pats do a good job waiting in free agency and developing young lineman. So maybe we are simply starting to adopt their practices.

Nighthawk
03-13-2009, 06:49 AM
This organization is still a joke, even with the Owens signing. They don't know how to fill holes and they take a penny pinching approach to it.

dasaybz
03-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Out of the guys that have visited, and haven't signed, who did you really want here?

Coles?

Fred Taylor?

Mike Peterson?

Seriously? You are getting mad at these scrubs not signing with the Bills?

justasportsfan
03-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Just like the draft, FA is not an exact science.

The bills jumped on guys like Dockery and it blew up on their face. Dockery was a solid player in washington and almost every bills fan didn't have a problem with the signing .

They tried to sign Coles but it turned out better when they landed TO for a year.
So they're pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't move fast.

I don't have as much of a problem with our talent but I do have a problem with our FO's ability to pick the right coaches.

Dillon was a has been and supposedly a locker room cancer , the pats coaches made it work. We all laughed when the pats signed Moss. THeir coaches made it work and made the trade look like the deal of the century by giving up a 4th. They also took both a 6th rd. pick in Brady and a 7th rd. pick in Cassel and made them stars.

So it doesn't really matter who they bring in because they have the coaches who know how to develop players.

I have a hard time believing we don't have talent to compete. What we don't have are coaches who are good enough to put things together and who know their X's and O's.

You want to fix the team, hire better coaches who can make things work no matter what's thrown at them by the FO.

User Manuel
03-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Remember, if we had done what you advocated Coles would be a Bill, for alot more years and money, we would have all yawned and T.O. would be somewhere else. Cato June=Mike Peterson=Keiaho=Kendall Simmons=Whatever.

Remember every signing lowers their flexibility. We are in the drivers seat negotiations wise and there is NO reason to jump simply for the sake of jumping.

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Out of the guys that have visited, and haven't signed, who did you really want here?

Coles?

Fred Taylor?

Mike Peterson?

Seriously? You are getting mad at these scrubs not signing with the Bills?

but we missed out on the best injury-prone RB in the history of the NFL!!

madness
03-13-2009, 09:16 AM
RB and LB are two of the easiest transitions to make from college to NFL. Why pay a player on the decline when you could possibly get someone in the draft without a drop off in talent and will only get better?

DesertFox24
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
We are not the skins or boys who can fill all of our holes via FA.

Look for Bell, Chambers, old vet, and a rook to compete for LG.

OLB I expect us to sign a vet at some point but it is going to be an open competition between a rookie, guys on the team already, and new vet.

Every team is going to have places on the field that they wish they could have better players, but you have to spend your money wisely.

justasportsfan
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
RB and LB are two of the easiest transitions to make from college to NFL. Why pay a player on the decline when you could possibly get someone in the draft without a drop off in talent and will only get better?
because we could use those draft picks to address the other holes we have. Add to the fact that our HC doesn't have the luxury of waiting for those picks to pan out in 2-3 years.

bigbub2352
03-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Front office and coaching unfortunatly is our biggest problem that is for sure

Jeff1220
03-13-2009, 09:43 AM

The bills jumped on guys like Dockery and it blew up on their face. Dockery was a solid player in washington and almost every bills fan didn't have a problem with the signing .

They tried to sign Coles but it turned out better when they landed TO for a year.

I don't have as much of a problem with our talent but I do have a problem with our FO's ability to pick the right coaches.

Dillon was a has been and supposedly a locker room cancer , the pats coaches made it work. We all laughed when the pats signed Moss. THeir coaches made it work and made the trade look like the deal of the century by giving up a 4th. They also took both a 6th rd. pick in Brady and a 7th rd. pick in Cassel and made them stars.

So it doesn't really matter who they bring in because they have the coaches who know how to develop players.

I have a hard time believing we don't have talent to compete. What we don't have are coaches who are good enough to put things together and who know their X's and O's.

You want to fix the team, hire better coaches who can make things work no matter what's thrown at them by the FO.

For the most part, I agree. However, when the team has no true starting guard, OLB, or TE, and the DEs on the team give no pass rush to speak of, there are obvious holes to be filled. At the beginning of FA they had the cap room to fill some holes, but didn't even have visits from guys that were available, and created more holes by cutting guys loose. With the Bills draft history the past decade, I have absolutely no confidence that they are going to fill these holes with rookies. And like you, I have no confidence that the coaching staff can develop the draft picks that do come on board.

Typ0
03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
you are over analyzing and not being fair. This is exactly how to run an organization. There is a fine balance between analysis, planning & action. It sounds like they were up front with the people & told them they weren't ready to make a decision yet. That's very reasonable and they likely are waiting for some information they don't have yet. Plus, it sounds like they already know if they jump on these guys they may end up overpaying for them which hurts other areas of the team. You can easily look at this as they have learned that lesson which is a good sign. I know many think I am crazy but I still have faith in the staff we have in terms of their planning and approach. If DJ can fix some of his gameday errors we could be in business with a good season from TE.

justasportsfan
03-13-2009, 10:43 AM
For the most part, I agree. However, when the team has no true starting guard, OLB, or TE, and the DEs on the team give no pass rush to speak of, there are obvious holes to be filled. At the beginning of FA they had the cap room to fill some holes, but didn't even have visits from guys that were available, and created more holes by cutting guys loose. With the Bills draft history the past decade, I have absolutely no confidence that they are going to fill these holes with rookies. And like you, I have no confidence that the coaching staff can develop the draft picks that do come on board.

I'm not disgreeing with our holes. But it seems like the bills are damned if they proceed quick to fill those holes (dockery) or if they take their time.

I'm just saying is that if they had the right coaches it wouldn't matter which way they went because the right coaches would make whoever they bring in work.

IMO they're going to proceed cautiously and hope that teams will release players like they did TO.

Jeff1220
03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
IMO they're going to proceed cautiously and hope that teams will release players like they did TO.

That's a good point. Does anyone know if any decent, but overpaid players are due any bonuses soon? Or have all bonuses that affect the '09 cap already been taken care of?

topher180
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM

Fantastic, well thought out post.

One thought to add though...I haven't seen a ton of threads entitled "Retaining Jauron = greatest move of the century". We pretty much all agree on the coaching deficiencies. I think Dick Jauron seems like a good human being, he just happens to be a below average game day coach. Point being, if we know we are dealing with Dick and Co. this year it's easy for and understandable that fans turn their attention to who is or isn't brought in via FA and the draft.

justasportsfan
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Fantastic, well thought out post.

One thought to add though...I haven't seen a ton of threads entitled "Retaining Jauron = greatest move of the century". We pretty much all agree on the coaching deficiencies. I think Dick Jauron seems like a good human being, he just happens to be a below average game day coach. Point being, if we know we are dealing with Dick and Co. this year it's easy for and understandable that fans turn their attention to who is or isn't brought in via FA and the draft.
MY problem with Dick is that he doesn't know how to pick his assistants. He's also too arogant to fix his mistakes. If your OC blows don't be afraid to fire him and admit you're wrong instead of loyalty that doesn't result to wins .