PDA

View Full Version : Here we go with Peters again.

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Bflo News article.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/606369.html

Jesus man.

clumping platelets
03-13-2009, 06:45 AM
:shakeno:

Nighthawk
03-13-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't know about blaming Peters on this one. If the Bills are offering money that is way under what Gross got, that is the Bills fault...not Peters. His contract should be at the or around the same money as Gross...anything less is the Bills being cheap...once again!

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 06:49 AM
He doesnt just want Gross money.. He wants Jake Long money.

Nighthawk
03-13-2009, 06:52 AM
He doesnt just want Gross money.. He wants Jake Long money.

I'm pretty sure that he was insulted with their offer and to be honest, so would I have been. There is no excuse for offering him less money then Gross...that just starts the negotiations off on the wrong foot. Peters is not to blame on this one. If it comes out later that they did offer him Gross money or more and then he still turned it down, then yes, he'd be at fault. But nothing I read in that article makes me put the blame on him...yet.

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm pretty sure that he was insulted with their offer and to be honest, so would I have been. There is no excuse for offering him less money then Gross...that just starts the negotiations off on the wrong foot. Peters is not to blame on this one. If it comes out later that they did offer him Gross money or more and then he still turned it down, then yes, he'd be at fault. But nothing I read in that article makes me put the blame on him...yet.

Well, I'm in agreement with you about blame for NOW, and I'm not putting blame on anybody now.

But I'll tell you this and I'm 100% certain of this; the Bills do not value him as much as Carolina values Gross; meaning there is next to no chance he's getting $10 million per year.

If Peters agent, Eugene Parker, comes down to a scenario where the rate comes down to around $8.5 million then a deal may get done. But I do not see Buffalo going higher.

He was not a franchise player last year, he struggled badly at times, even got benched briefly. He still has two years left on a deal and the Bills hold move leverage than Carolina did with Gross, who was about to become a UFA.

If the Bill are more than $3 million apart, it means Peters is asking for close to $11.5 annually, and the Bills are offering less than $8.5

jmb1099
03-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Had Peters shown up last year and played lights out this is a non issue. But when he finally did come back he stunk the place up. Yes he deserves to be paid more than he's making now, but he didn't help his credibility any by last years stunt and poor performance.

TacklingDummy
03-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Goodbye Jason.

Thanks for the draft picks.

dasaybz
03-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Dude is not worth $10 million/year. That is completely freaking laughable. Let him walk and get the draft picks.

methos4ever
03-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Also, with regard to the issue with Gross - don't forget he had a gun to Carolina's head with their desire to franchise Peppers, thus making his negotiation go to the effect of, "oh, you want that? Great! We'll sign here...now let's go take care of Peppers!"

shelby
03-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Can we afford to let him go?

Who will replace him?

TacklingDummy
03-13-2009, 07:22 AM

Who will replace him?

Can we afford to pay him?

Will there be any money left to fill other holes if they do pay Peters?

Langston Walker, just like last year when Walker replaced Peters and the line played fine in Peters absence.

jmb1099
03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Can we afford to pay him?

Will there be any money left to fill other holes if they do pay Peters?

Langston Walker, just like last year when Walker replaced Peters and the line played fine in Peters absence.
He really did. If I remember correctly, there was much initial concern about the move until Walker was blowing people up on the left side. Also, I remember (gasp) Chambers holding his own.

DraftBoy
03-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Buffalo promised him a new deal last season and they have to deliver this season. You don't make stupid ass promises if you have no intention of actually extending the guy at fair market rate. I can't see Peters taking anything less than in the 9-9.5 a year range.

jmb1099
03-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Buffalo promised him a new deal last season and they have to deliver this season. You don't make stupid ass promises if you have no intention of actually extending the guy at fair market rate. I can't see Peters taking anything less than in the 9-9.5 a year range.
No question, but what did Peters do last year to help cement his status as elite? He's being offered a new deal, no doubt he's being low balled. But when he finally did show up he was out of shape and sucked it up. So the question I have would be what would be fair market rate? Do you pay him for what he did two years ago? How does last years performance factor in?

OpIv37
03-13-2009, 07:44 AM
weird how that trade rumor came up yesterday and now this....

I think trading Peters is stupid, but he may force the team to do it if this is how he's going to act. $11.5 million a season? Give me a ****ing break.

Dujek
03-13-2009, 07:47 AM
$9.5 to $10 million a year sounds fair to me, ****ing pay the man Ralph.

The Juice Is Loose
03-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Peters needs to realize he has no leverage.

The Bills can hold him for 2 years and then franchise him if they want.

He won't hold out again, he lost tons of money last year.

Its part of negotiations. They know they don't need to be close in March. They need to be close in June/July.

This is just like Lee Evans. If Peters would just put up and shut up I'm sure he'd get paid.

TacklingDummy
03-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Buffalo promised him a new deal last season and they have to deliver this season. I don't recall Buffalo promising Peters a new deal.

Even if they did promise, it takes 2 to tango.

DraftBoy
03-13-2009, 07:49 AM
No question, but what did Peters do last year to help cement his status as elite? He's being offered a new deal, no doubt he's being low balled. But when he finally did show up he was out of shape and sucked it up. So the question I have would be what would be fair market rate? Do you pay him for what he did two years ago? How does last years performance factor in?

I don't blame him for showing up out of shape, he missed all of camp which is when players traditionally get into shape and he was not nearly as bad as some posters here will lead you to believe. The guy deserves to get a big raise and be one of the top paid OT's in the league. I have no doubt about that, I think 11.5 is high for him but you have to keep him at all costs at this point. We cannot afford to create more holes on this team right now.

DraftBoy
03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I don't recall Buffalo promising Peters a new deal.

Even if they did promise, it takes 2 to tango.

Go re-read the threads, part of him coming in last year and stopping his hold out was the promise that they would re-do his deal.

streetkings01
03-13-2009, 07:52 AM
No way Peters is worth $11.5 a year! He is not a complete LT.....he's below average in run blocking and above average in pass protection(last year was a fluke IMO) and that makes him an incomplete LT.....you dont pay incomplete LT $11.5 million per year! If the Eagles are willing to give up both their 1st rd picks for Peters I'd jump on it fast.......over the past few seasons rookie LT have been able to jump in from day#1 and start, this years crop of tackles will keep the streak going IMO.

jmb1099
03-13-2009, 07:53 AM
I don't blame him for showing up out of shape, he missed all of camp which is when players traditionally get into shape and he was not nearly as bad as some posters here will lead you to believe. The guy deserves to get a big raise and be one of the top paid OT's in the league. I have no doubt about that, I think 11.5 is high for him but you have to keep him at all costs at this point. We cannot afford to create more holes on this team right now.
He's the only one responsible for being in the shape he was in and performing the way he did. While it is impossible for me to argue how bad of shape he was in, his performance was far from good. All of that aside, what is the highest you'd pay him, what's the lowest? I'd have no issue giving him $10 with performance clauses at this point.

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Philly nor anybody is going to give up a pair of first rounders, and pay a guy over $10 million per year.

jmb1099
03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Philly nor anybody is going to give up a pair of first rounders, and pay a guy over $10 million per year.
If he's not careful he will sit himself right out of an NFL career.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-13-2009, 07:55 AM
We better get both number 1's or atleast there 2nd from philly. Cause if we don't we just created yet another hole and this O-Line will be worse than they were last year.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-13-2009, 07:57 AM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2848190 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2848190>Philly nor anybody is going to give up a pair of first rounders, and pay a guy over $10 million per year.
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><TR><!-- start bottom info post --></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I agree there's no way they do that. I've backed Peters for a while but this is starting to piss me off now. The dude has 9 mil on the table and would be the highest paid player in franchise history. Now he wants more if we trade we better get value in the deal. We can't just trade him for a number 1.

TacklingDummy
03-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Go re-read the threads, part of him coming in last year and stopping his hold out was the promise that they would re-do his deal

Re-read some of them, the only promise I read was from Pat..

Peters is reporting with the promise that the Bills will work on a new deal during the season, per WGR.

That promise if true was already broken because Peters didn't get a new deal during the season.

Even if the Bills did promise to work on a new deal that doesn't mean they promised him he was going to be the highest paid LT in the NFL.

TacklingDummy
03-13-2009, 08:03 AM
All of that aside, what is the highest you'd pay him$7.5

Sorry but I am not going to pay any player over $10 million per year who doesn't have the name Manning, Rothlesberger, Brady, Moss, Owens, Fitzgerald, on his back.

yordad
03-13-2009, 08:08 AM
I can't stand this freakin guy. We have him by the balls for 4 more years if we want. How old will he be in 4 years?

Lets see... two more years at 3 mil per year, then 2 franchised years at around 10 equals 26 million.

or

A 4 year 36 million dollar contract (of course I would like a longer one, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples here).

??????????

10 extra million for Peters, and all parties are happy. The Bills freakin made him.

don137
03-13-2009, 08:11 AM
I am a life long Bills fan but since I live in Charlotte and love football I have season tickets to the Panthers so I have seen both Peters and Gross play many times.
Many people in Charlotte thought Gross is a very good tackle however thought 10 MM was a steep price for him. He makes too many false starts penalties (which I agree). The good thing about Gross is he has always been a team guy and not a me guy. I think he is solid on every level.
If I had to pick who would I want on as the left tackle of the Bills Gross or Peters I would say gross. I feel Gross is more consistent than Peters. Peters can be dominant but he made way too many mistakes last year and I feel Gross makes a better leader of the OL.
With that said I feel Peters contract should be a tad below what Gross is receiving. Anything more than I say the heck with him. Let him play two more years and then franchise him one more year at a decent price and then let him walk. Take care of the players that want to be here without killing your salary cap.

jmb1099
03-13-2009, 08:15 AM
$7.5

Sorry but I am not going to pay any player over $10 million per year who doesn't have the name Manning, Rothlesberger, Brady, Moss, Owens, Fitzgerald, on his back.
I'd do $10 with performance based clauses. I could very well be wrong, but I suspect that what we saw of his performance last year will be a trend. So I would be more than comfortable telling him the money is yours but you have to earn it through performance. If he gets a monster payday with guaranteed money I think everyone will be very disappointed with the result.

TigerJ
03-13-2009, 08:26 AM
If I were the Bills, I'd offer him a modest increase over the Jordan Gross contract,say $100,000 a year more as my top offer. I sure wouldn't blame the Bills if Peters demands more than Jake Long money. That's ridiculous. The question is would teams interested in trading for him be willing to pay that ridiculous demand. If they are not, then Peters becomes untradeable.

This may be the reason for the speculation on that other board even though the article had not been published.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 08:30 AM

When did they promise him a new contract? I remember them promising to talk about one, but that's much, much different than promising to give him one.

streetkings01
03-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Go re-read the threads, part of him coming in last year and stopping his hold out was the promise that they would re-do his deal.I dont think it said re-do his deal....I think it said....actually discuss it unlike last season.

trapezeus
03-13-2009, 08:49 AM
has gross every held out hurting his team? if so, then peters has a case. if not, then he should be grateful that a renegotiation is going on in the first place.

i understand that contracts work differently in the NFL and that peters should ask for more money, but he isn't the absolute best. if he's getting top 5 money, he should take it, because he's still under contract for 2 more yeras.

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Re-read some of them, the only promise I read was from Pat..

That promise if true was already broken because Peters didn't get a new deal during the season.

Even if the Bills did promise to work on a new deal that doesn't mean they promised him he was going to be the highest paid LT in the NFL.
The Bills promised to work on re-doing his deal.. They never promised they'd give Peters a blank check and say take what you want.

DesertFox24
03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Look Peters and the bills just offered their starting points.

I honestly believe the bills will pay Peters more than Gross and give Peters a 6 or 7 year deal at 63 or 73 million, with more guaranteed money than Gross.

It will probably be signed by draft time and yeah it sucks for us who can not understand how a player can make more than Brady but that is the way the nfl is going to.

Also with Ralph's statement about getting more talented players on this team, do you really think he wants to get ride of his best OL and have 3 new OL starters this year.

bigbub2352
03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
my problem with Peters is i just dont see how he is an elite Tackle?
i watched him play RT and seen him get beat and also not have much push in the run game then i watched him get walked around with regularity at LT,
Were is he Elite?
Cause the media says so?
he gave up 12.5 sacks last year ranked 31/32 in LTs and also was heavily penalized for holding and false starts
Also he doesnt seem to bright considering he came into the season after holding out way out of shape

I hesitate to say he is elite or even that good i say if he wants that big of a jump in pay after his performance and being a distraction all last offseason and then being less than average all season
Trade him he is not worth that money, and he has yet to be dominant on any level of offensive blocking
Yes it creates another hole, but we sign a Vet Guard like Goff or Simmons, and draft one of the suppossed elit LTs coming out in this yrs draft how far off are we from Peters play?

Think about it cause Peters seems to be a real ******* in my opinion

DesertFox24
03-13-2009, 09:22 AM
He was not out of shape, he was out of game shape. They are two totally different things, trust me as a former collegiate athlete.

Game shape and in shape are just different.

Just imagine playing in 100 degree heat with pads on, then having to block people. As opposed to doing what rookie are doing. Jason was doing the rookie thing, lifting weights, running etc...

madness
03-13-2009, 09:24 AM

Who will replace him?

There could be four or five offensive tackles taken in the first round of this year’s draft, and that’s probably where the Bills would have to find a replacement tackle, if Peters were dealt.

I think Bills will soften their stance depending on what Peters does this offseason. If they see Peters do a complete 180 from last season, they should be more willing to open the wallet. At this point, Peters renewed dedication is all talk and the Bills have every right to be cautious.

kgun12
03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't know about blaming Peters on this one. If the Bills are offering money that is way under what Gross got, that is the Bills fault...not Peters. His contract should be at the or around the same money as Gross...anything less is the Bills being cheap...once again!

Besides what was said about how bad he played last year, no one held a gun to his head 2 years ago when he signed it.

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Ok the million dollah question...

What if Peters refuses to budge from his demand to be the highest paid LT in the game before the draft.

now what do ya'll want to do ??? Just pay him or move on and get a plethera of picks for him ???

I prefer we sign him, but if the demands are too high the Bills will move him, and he will net us multiple picks

EDS
03-13-2009, 09:30 AM
At some point, the Bills need to pay for their own players. Constantly letting players leave once they get expensive and replacing them with lower cost free agents or rookies takes its toll eventually.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 09:37 AM

What if Peters refuses to budge from his demand to be the highest paid LT in the game before the draft.

now what do ya'll want to do ??? Just pay him or move on and get a plethera of picks for him ???

I prefer we sign him, but if the demands are too high the Bills will move him, and he will net us multiple picks

It really wouldn't be that bad, imo, if we got two picks for him. I wouldn't expect both of Philly's first rounders, but at least a first and a third or first and a second. Roy Williams cost a first, third and sixth...Peters should be worth more.

After all, there should be a solid OT prospect on the board at 11, or we could grab one later in the first (someone like Beatty, Britton, etc.). Peter does not seem to be worth what he's asking for, and if things become very tense then we need some sort of leverage if he pulls a stunt like he did last year.

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 09:38 AM

i think that is exactly what is going to happen.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 09:38 AM
At some point, the Bills need to pay for their own players. Constantly letting players leave once they get expensive and replacing them with lower cost free agents or rookies takes its toll eventually.

It's not just that they get expensive. Buffalo seems to let go of the players who overvalue their worth. Clements was very good, but he wasn't worth the money San Fran signed him to.

If Peters refuses to meet Buffalo halfway on contract negotiations, they won't have much choice except to move on without him.

Buddo
03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I can see where Peters can get a little over $10 million a year. IT is 'the going rate' for LTs, as per Gross. I don't see any justification for going near what Long got, i.e. $11.5 million a year. If Peters gets an offer that is a touch over $10 million per, and still refuses it, as far as I'm concerned, he can take a hike.
While he may have an awful lot of talent, I've seen him make too many mistakes to warrant worrying about. The problem when he makes mistakes, is that they are invariably costly ones. The absolute quality players, do not make those mistakes, at those times.
Elite ability - yes. Elite 'application' - not so much.
As things stand, the Bills haven't done anything wrong by Peters atm. They said they would look at a new deal for him. Guess what, he's been made an offer. That offer must be at least about $8 million per. It may well qualify as a 'low ball' offer, but it is certainly twice as good as what he's currently playing for.
Do people seriously believe around here that Peters is worth $12 million ( or very close to) a year?

streetkings01
03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
At some point, the Bills need to pay for their own players. Constantly letting players leave once they get expensive and replacing them with lower cost free agents or rookies takes its toll eventually.I hear that but besides Winfield and Pat Williams....what players did we draft that went on to perform at a high level? I hear people say this over and over about how Buffalo doesn't keep its talent around, but the talent that we've let go has basically sucked everywhere else.

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
It really wouldn't be that bad, imo, if we got two picks for him. I wouldn't expect both of Philly's first rounders, but at least a first and a third or first and a second. Roy Williams cost a first, third and sixth...Peters should be worth more.

After all, there should be a solid OT prospect on the board at 11, or we could grab one later in the first (someone like Beatty, Britton, etc.). Peter does not seem to be worth what he's asking for, and if things become very tense then we need some sort of leverage if he pulls a stunt like he did last year.

I would not accept anything less then both of Philly's 1st round picks... They are desperate for a LT and they have 11 picks in the draft... They won't find a better prospect where they are drafting...

I would then use 2 of our 3 1st rd picks to try and move up from #11 and grab one of the top OT. and still have a late rd #1 to use. I don't think it would be to hard ot do knowing that many teams inthe top 5 don't look forward ot the high price tag of the draft pick, and have multiple holes themselves.

Philly's 2 #1's wouldn't be enough to move them into the top 5 of the draft, so there best bet is the Bills..

psubills62
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I would not accept anything less then both of Philly's 1st round picks... They are desperate for a LT and they have 11 picks in the draft... They won't find a better prospect where they are drafting...

I would then use 2 of our 3 1st rd picks to try and move up from #11 and grab one of the top OT. and still have a late rd #1 to use. I don't think it would be to hard ot do knowing that many teams inthe top 5 don't look forward ot the high price tag of the draft pick, and have multiple holes themselves.

Philly's 2 #1's wouldn't be enough to move them into the top 5 of the draft, so there best bet is the Bills..

I still don't see them giving up both first rounders. That's a lot of value in the picks, and there's a lot of very solid OT's late in the first, who would cost a lot less than Peters.

Not to mention, it shouldn't take two firsts to move up from #11...unless we're looking for the #1 pick overall? Probably just our first and a second or third, depending on where you want to move to.

camelcowboy
03-13-2009, 10:16 AM
If he doesn't like the deal make him stick out his original contract with the promise of franchising him 2 years in a row. This is the one time I agree with the bills. Peters did a nice job pissing off fans last year with his play. The bills have all the power, the bills gave him the courtesy of trying to rework his deal and now he wants 11.5. Hell no.

jimbohastle51
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
he is not going anywhere. he will sign him and pay him his money, but his contract no doubt will strain our team. he will get around 11 million a year, and probably around 7 of it will be guaranteed each season.

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I still don't see them giving up both first rounders. That's a lot of value in the picks, and there's a lot of very solid OT's late in the first, who would cost a lot less than Peters.

Not to mention, it shouldn't take two firsts to move up from #11...unless we're looking for the #1 pick overall? Probably just our first and a second or third, depending on where you want to move to.

Do you think Philly wants a late round rookie at LT knowing they are close to having a championship team, or would they rather have a proven pro-bowl LT entering the prime of his career ?

Also it would take more then Philly's 2 1st rd pick to move into the the top 5 where they would have a shot at the 2 best OT's, but they still wouldn't get a NFL seasoned LT. (they are not grabbing one of the top T at #11 so Philly either moves all the way up to # 3 or they try for the 3rd or 4th best T in the draft)

Without a single doubt in my mind, if Philly wants Peters the minimum would be both of their 1st rd picks.

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I just want us to actually pay someone what they're worth. We need talent badly. Jason Peters has it.

he should just get Will Ferrel's 2 year old friend to go bargain for him...."WHERES MY MONEY!!"

(for those of you who know not what i speak of, watch this and tell me its not funny: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74/the-landlord-from-will-ferrell-and-adam-ghost-panther-mckay )

JPFBillsFan
03-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Without a single doubt in my mind, if Philly wants Peters the minimum would be both of their 1st rd picks.

AMEN.....DO IT now....get rid of this bum

trapezeus
03-13-2009, 11:10 AM
This is a negotiation, not a hostage situation. Peters has the right to ask for more cash. We all agree. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, so Peters has to ask even if there is a contract.

The issue for me becomes, "you went undrafted and the bills kept you on to put you in this LT positions." They signed you before you went ot the probowl to a good deal. So you should be able to be grateful for that. If they are playing to your desire for a new contract after a year where you weren't as dominant as you were the year before, then you should think about cutting them a deal. $10MM isn't grossly under. they aren't offering him top 15 money. it sounds like top 5 money. If you want this team to win and you want to make a big increase, the deal sounds fair."

I blame losman on the jets game where he fumbled, but on that play, Peters totally whiffed on his assignment. That wasn't an isolated case either. In crucial parts of games he was either taken out or missed his assignment. i realize he got the nod for the probowl, but he wasn't the same as the year before. The fact the bills have sat down to his demands should make him feel wanted and being off by a $mm in a huge deal really shouldn't hold things up. Peters needs to give the bills some benefit of the doubt as well.

DrGraves
03-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Let's have T.O. go beat his fat ass and tell him to ****ing get a deal done already.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Do you think Philly wants a late round rookie at LT knowing they are close to having a championship team, or would they rather have a proven pro-bowl LT entering the prime of his career ?

Also it would take more then Philly's 2 1st rd pick to move into the the top 5 where they would have a shot at the 2 best OT's, but they still wouldn't get a NFL seasoned LT. (they are not grabbing one of the top T at #11 so Philly either moves all the way up to # 3 or they try for the 3rd or 4th best T in the draft)

I guarantee we're not the only people who witnessed Peters' poor performance this past year. I guarantee that Philly has similar concerns as we do - can Peters be dominant all the time? Besides - what's wrong with a rookie LT? Miami did pretty good with one, as did Atlanta and Denver.

I don't think Buffalo has a shot at either of the two top OT's, even if they move to #5. The only one I think they've got a decent shot at taking is Michael Oher. Of course, they could take Andre Smith, but that doesn't seem likely now.

I think if Philly offers both 1st-rounders, then for sure pull the trigger. But I'd certainly accept slightly less, because I'm sure they're not as desperate as people think.

THATHURMANATOR
03-13-2009, 11:44 AM

I would want both picks for Peters.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 11:45 AM

So would I...doesn't mean we'd get them.

madness
03-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Just get me Curry somehow and I'll be happy.

THATHURMANATOR
03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
So would I...doesn't mean we'd get them.
Then we Don't do the trade.

psubills62
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Then we Don't do the trade.

Even if Peters refuses to re-sign for any less than 12 million? I'd do it.

THATHURMANATOR
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Even if Peters refuses to re-sign for any less than 12 million? I'd do it.
Yes he won't sit out again.

Bill Brasky
03-13-2009, 12:58 PM
i hope the bills let him go or trade him so i can read all of you ***** about how badly his replacement sucks.

also, LT is the easiest spot on the football field to fill.

/sarcasm off

it's going on 10+ years of bills fans *****ing about the line. even when average to above average players come here, you still ***** about every little imperfection it's downright pathetic at this point.

topher180
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry I just can't believe anyone can justify letting Peters go in a trade. People, are we that far removed from a joke of an O-Line? Have we forgotten all the clammering we did to get our QB some time? I know, I know, it's what have you done for me lately. But you just can't unload a pro bowl LT in today's league. I understand the point about his play last year, but can you honestly say whoever they plug in will be better at the positon next year?

Pay the man Ralph and let us move on already. Your team has other things to deal with.

topher180
03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
i hope the bills let him go or trade him so i can read all of you ***** about how badly his replacement sucks.

/sarcasm off

it's going on 10+ years of bills fans *****ing about the line. even when average to above average players come here, you still ***** about every little imperfection it's downright pathetic at this point.

Exactly!

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 01:03 PM

/sarcasm off

nice call out.. I agree... we finally have a 1/2 way decent OL. The team woul dbe better served keeping Peters...

but if Peters wants 11 million a season well he isn't going to get that. I would then understand trading him, but now we have a desperate situation on the OL again.

topher180
03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
nice call out.. I agree... we finally have a 1/2 way decent OL. The team woul dbe better served keeping Peters...

but if Peters wants 11 million a season well he isn't going to get that. I would then understand trading him, but now we have a desperate situation on the OL again.

True. I should've put that disclaimer as others did. Highest paid LT in football? No. Top 5 salary? Absolutely. We simply don't have enough information though at this point to know what he is asking for. So for now, and given the track record of this regime, I'm gonna go ahead and assume they are being somewhat cheap.

I find it interesting too that when Dockery and Royal were release, wasn't the thought by many a columnist and fan "Hey, now we can restructure Peter's deal!" It's almost like this TO move has clouded somes opinion.

Bill Brasky
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM

agreed.

release him and who do we sign? a high priced, unproven draft pick so we can ***** about his lack of experience? a FA so we can save maybe a million or two a year and subsequently downgrade at the same time, then ***** about how he's not as good as peters at doing _____ ? the guys' underpaid, and has been for 2 years. i'm sure none of you ***** about being underpaid at work.

i wouldn't pay him 11 mil, but the way it sounds some of you would be happy to flat out just get rid of the guy. good LT's don't fall off trees like RB's.

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
agreed.

release him and who do we sign? a high priced, unproven draft pick so we can ***** about his lack of experience? a FA so we can save maybe a million or two a year and subsequently downgrade at the same time, then ***** about how he's not as good as peters at doing _____ ? the guys' underpaid, and has been for 2 years. i'm sure none of you ***** about being underpaid at work.

i wouldn't pay him 11 mil, but the way it sounds some of you would be happy to flat out just get rid of the guy. good LT's don't fall off trees like RB's.

well it would never be a realease it would be for multiple draft picks... or player & picks.

and it will more then likely make us worse off in the short term...

but I wouldn't over pay Peters either, he is not the best LT in the game so him wanting to be paid like one is rediculous. Especiall the way he played last year and his willingness to just hold out with 3 years left on an existing extension

raphael120
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Two words: Mike Gandy.

Remember him? he was the LT on the Super Bowl bound Arizona Cardinals.

LT is important, but Jason Peters is just a flat out ass. He was Robert Royal-ish last season. I would like to know exactly how much of some of the bad plays were his fault and which of them were Dockery's lazy ass's fault.

Michael82
03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm fine with $9-10 million, anymore than that is insane and will hurt us more than losing him for the longterm! Peters is a damn good LT, but he's not the best and for him to ask to be paid #1 overall player money is ****ed up!

topher180
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Two words: Mike Gandy.

Remember him? he was the LT on the Super Bowl bound Arizona Cardinals.

LT is important, but Jason Peters is just a flat out ass. He was Robert Royal-ish last season. I would like to know exactly how much of some of the bad plays were his fault and which of them were Dockery's lazy ass's fault.

Don't agree with the level of resentment you have for him (LOL) but you know, not a bad point about Gandy. I mean, Kurt Warner isn't exactly known for his mobility and he manged to stay upright enough to make a run to the big game....and almost win it for that matter.

TacklingDummy
03-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't agree with the level of resentment you have for him (LOL) but you know, not a bad point about Gandy. I mean, Kurt Warner isn't exactly known for his mobility and he manged to stay upright enough to make a run to the big game....and almost win it for that matter.

And Gandy was mostly going 1 on 1 with the Defensive Player of the Year.

Player makers is what most teams need to win, not franchise Left Tackles.

Buddo
03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
There's actually another aspect to all this, that I think means there is no way, the Bills will give him, the $12 million he is supposedly after.
Basically, he wants to be paid the most. The part of that that doesn't actually sit properly, is the fact that he wants to be paid more than Long. Long was the #1 draft pick, something that still, at this moment in time, comes at a hefty premium, irrespective of position. Long should not even be in the equation, as he is being paid by the draft pick #, not by the position.
That leads into the next bit, and it goes like this. What will happen if the Bills set a dangerous precedent, of paying Peters, more than the #1 draft pick, because the #1 draft pick just happened to play the same position? You got it. Curry (for example) gets taken #1 this year. Next years FA LBs all want to be paid like Curry. And so it would go on, with however many different positions.
It's something that seriously does not make good business sense at all - and the same will apply around the NFL. I will genuinely be shocked if Peters gets a deal, that costs more than Long's.
I believe that Peters should go away a very happy camper, with a deal that goes a touch over that of Gross. (Personally I don't think he's worth it, but that would be the most I can see the Bills paying tbh)
Now, if Peters is traded, he may get a few bucks more than the Bills will offer him, but I don't believe he will be paid above what Long is getting, by anyone with any sense, in the NFL.
Hmmm - I think I just made him a Raider..... ;(

Michael82
03-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry, but if he wants to be a greedy **** and won't take $9-10 million per season, he can go **** himself. I'm perfectly fine with Langston Walker at LT, he was our most consistant lineman all year and did a nice job at LT during the pre-season and start of the year. As for RT, we can always find another one in the draft or in FA or hell, let's try Chambers out. Or maybe Demetrius Bell, who the coaching staff loves and thinks he may become the next Peters....

im8th2buffalo
03-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry, but if he wants to be a greedy **** and won't take $9-10 million per season, he can go **** himself. I'm perfectly fine with Langston Walker at LT, he was our most consistant lineman all year and did a nice job at LT during the pre-season and start of the year. As for RT, we can always find another one in the draft or in FA or hell, let's try Chambers out. Or maybe Demetrius Bell, who the coaching staff loves and thinks he may become the next Peters....

I agree, but also take into account that when Langston Walker was moved to LT to replace Peters there was talk about increasing his contract because of the change. Left tackles are definitely paid higher salaries. Walker's contract is as a RT. He would want a nice pay raise to move over to the other side. He did a nice job filling in last year. So that is an option.

I would like to keep Peters on the team. He is very talented. However, IMO he does not deserve the money he is asking for. I was very disappointed with the holdout last year and then his lackluster performance. To get the money he wants he really needed to have a stellar year. He didn't.
If it comes down to trading him or another long holdout, Trade! Trade! Trade! Especially if it is for 2 1st round picks, or a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I would rather have a proven veteran, but another holdout is not acceptable.:nono:

DynaPaul
03-14-2009, 08:18 AM
I'd give him $8 million a years tops.

realdealryan
03-14-2009, 05:55 PM
You have to pay proven linemen. Greedy or not, why the ***** would we pay Dockery and not Peters?

Lexwhat
03-14-2009, 06:08 PM
And Gandy was mostly going 1 on 1 with the Defensive Player of the Year.

Player makers is what most teams need to win, not franchise Left Tackles.

You are smarter than this.

Just because Gandy went against Harrison, doesn't mean he did a good job. Harrison was the defensive MVP in that game, and was a huge reason (e.g. interception return) that the Cardinals lost.

ARoid
03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
The funny thing about the Peters situation is that if he were on almost any other team he would be signed to a long term deal already.

What kind of message does this send when a guy makes the pro-bowl playing LT and Gross gets the big payday after being moved back to RT after he struggled on the blind side?

Peters can be a dominant player but I'm sure he feels like he's getting ripped off. Bad situation for everybody but with guys like Schobel and Kelsay getting silly money I can't totally blame Peters.

At least we cut Dockery.

Why is it that we can't play players right? Edwards and Peters are totally underpaid and then we have other guys getting way too much. Pittsburgh and New England don't have that problem.

Throne Logic
03-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I do not believe he's earned a top contract. He hasn't even sufficiently honored the contract he's currently under. He signed it, so no excuses. He skipped work for three months last year after his 6 month vacation. Upon returning, he was no better than average for most of the time he was on the field. The pro-bowl selection was a farce.

Mike, you have to earn that contract. Pouting, whining, and refusing to go to work are not honorable ways to do so.