PDA

View Full Version : My Bills Briefs for Friday

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 02:12 PM
It appears the marriage between the Buffalo Bills and Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters is rocky again. Buffalo News writer Mark Gaughan published a story that according to league sources, the two are more than $3 million-a-year apart on a contract extension.

Peters looked for a new deal before last season and didn’t receive it, ensuing in a hold out lasting through all of training camp and the preseason. Peters eventually returned just days before the season opener. He struggled far more than in 2007 and despite making a second consecutive Pro Bowl, many attributed the selection to his reputation rather than play.

According to the report, Peters’ first offer this off-season was in excess of the $11.5 million annually given to Miami’s first overall draft pick of a year ago, Jake Long. Carolina’s Jason Gross just signed the largest free agent contract last month, earning $60 million over six years, including $30.5 million in the first three years. Eugene Parker, Peters’ agent, thinks his client is worth more than either player got.

While the Bills are certainly agreeable on giving a raise over the $4.05 million Peters is slated to make this year, it’s highly unlikely the front office is willing to reach $10 million per year or more.

This creates another prospective stalemate. The Bills, much like last year have three options of which none figure to help the team on the field. Buffalo can simply let him hold out again and fine him daily until he reports. The downside is a far less motivated and productive player. They can continue to negotiate and eventually succumb to Peters’ demands. That would tie up a lot of money and handcuff the team from making other moves they may like, even though they saved a pile of cash to cap money after cutting Derrick Dockery last month. Lastly, they could trade Peters before the draft and get a couple of good draft picks and possibly a player, but that would leave another gaping hole on the roster.

Philadelphia is considered to be an interested party closely monitoring the situation.

Regardless of the outcome, if the Bills really want Trent Edwards to succeed in his third season they need to make sure the injury prone quarterback is protected. Having to find a new left tackle or keeping Peters motivated without a new deal isn’t something the Bills are looking to take on. What good is having Terrell Owens and Lee Evans running patterns when the quarterback is constantly on his back or running for his life?

Both sides still have plenty of time, which is good because this is quickly taking on the look of a long, drawn out process.

On to a few other items…

---A trusted source tells me the Bills are preparing to take a look at San Diego free agent guard Michael Goff. No visit has been scheduled but Goff could be at One Bills Drive by early next week.

Sounds to me like the Bills strategy is to employ a veteran, albeit Goff or another free agent as a bridge to an April draft selection. Goff is long in the tooth after 11 NFL seasons, but would fill a stop gap role tremendously.
Bills offensive line coach Bill Kugler was at the Oklahoma pro day this week and came away impressed, particularly with guard Duke Robinson. The Bills may strongly consider him in the second round of the draft.

---The Bills are remaining patient when it comes to a pair of linebackers who visited recently, Cato June and Freddy Keiaho. With fans growing impatient waiting for one to sign, the reality is the Bills don’t need to strike a quick deal. June and Keiaho are both system linebackers and neither has drawn interest around the league. The game plan is to wait for the price to come down with the player they value at team friendly terms. It’s also not out of the question both players could end up here to compete for a starting spot. The Bills placed a $1.01 million tender on Keith Ellison but it doesn’t mean they can’t cut him if they desire. If Ellison got cut the Bills would owe him nothing. While it’s not likely both June and Keiaho sign, it is a possibility.

---I thought Duke Preston would return to the Bills and fill a valuable backup role on the interior of the offensive line. But according to a source the Bills have no interest in having him back. I’m told head coach Dick Jauron was disappointed with his play by the end of last season, and his brain fart just before halftime of the New England finale was the last straw. The Bills haven’t talked to Preston about a contract since last season ended.

---Another former Bill definitely not coming back is Angelo Crowell. Despite an effort publicly to downplay any bitterness between the sides after Crowell was placed on injured reserve, I’m told the Bills have never had interest in bringing him back. Unlike other current Bills free agents like Preston, Melvin Fowler and J.P. Losman, Crowell is drawing plenty of interest. He’s already visited Tampa Bay and Detroit and Philadelphia are among teams interested.

---The Buffalo News is reporting college tight end Brandon Pettigrew will be visiting the Bills on Monday. While Pettigrew is the consensus top tight end in the draft and the Bills have a need to fill there, it’s not probable he’ll be selected with the 11<SUP>th overall pick. Still, it’s smart to get know the player more and keep the door open should they decide they want him at their current draft position or following a trade down.</SUP>
<SUP>
There are very few quality tight ends available in free agency, and none considered an asset in the passing game. The Bills are not interested in L.J. Smith.

It’s assumed the Bills are taking a tight end very early in the draft, but don’t bank on it. I’m told that the team really loves Derek Fine and think he’s capable of playing a larger role in the passing game than Robert Royal did.
</SUP>

Night Train
03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Briefs ? I took you for boxers.

Good job,Pat.

Oaf
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I started the Duke Robinson buzz days ago! I don't think he lasts till our 2nd round spot though.

Mudflap1
03-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Goff would be decent. I'm fine with him bridging until a draft pick is properly groomed. I'm also fine with being patient on the Cover 2 linebackers, because they have no game from any other Cover 2 teams... as long as they eventually sign one, because either one is an upgrade over Ellison, particularly June.

They need to get this Peters situation sorted out, and it's a two way street. They can't be stupid and let this guy get ticked off and hold out again. That didn't do anyone any favors.

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
good read Pat...

Michael82
03-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for sharing, pat! :up:

WeAreArthurMoates
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Good read Pat. I think that Peters will come down on the asking price but I wouldn't be surprised if they paid him 10 mil. I never thought they would give Lee 9 mil, I figured 7.5 tops. I want to sign him but if we do trade him it better be for atleast a 1st and 2nd or 3rd. If it's just a 1st it will be an awful trade. I hope Peter's demand were just a starting point and he comes in and participates in camp.

bigbub2352
03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I have been saying Mike Goff since FA started he would be solid for 2 yrs here at least, we better not just luv Fine, he is not the answer at TE he is a backup
We will see....

shelby
03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the summary of the Peters situation Pat, and the inside info as well.

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I have been saying Mike Goff since FA started he would be solid for 2 yrs here at least, we better not just luv Fine, he is not the answer at TE he is a backup
We will see....

I disagree on Fine... Although I want another talent at TE i do beleive Fine is better then many think. he showed some flashes last year in his brief opportunities, and I thought he looked better and smoother then Royal catching passes.

but the Bills never play their rookies enough in their 1st years to really judge them.. See Steve Johnson

I beleive Steve Johnson and Derek Fine looke dgood in their brief apperances

homeslice5484
03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
if u can get some good draft picks for him and are confident you can find a capable LT why would you not trade him? Who is the left tackle for arizona? Oh yeah Mike Gandy. Who is the LT for Pittsburgh?

homeslice5484
03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Fine is good as a TE...with owens and lee and josh, we dont need a great TE. Fill in the holes on the OLINE, LB, DE, and safety first.

Philagape
03-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Here's the thing about being patient with the LBs ....
Any day, without warning, they could schedule a visit with a team, things go great, and they sign that day.
Poof.
It's not like the Bills can put a hold on a player. Every day they're available is another day they could suddenly be gone.
Likely? No. Possible? yes.

Mudflap1
03-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Here's the thing about being patient with the LBs ....
Any day, without warning, they could schedule a visit with a team, things go great, and they sign that day.
Poof.
It's not like the Bills can put a hold on a player. Every day they're available is another day they could suddenly be gone.
Likely? No. Possible? yes.

Agreed. But I see their point in this particular situation also. June and Keiaho are undersized linebackers designed for the Cover 2. The only competition for these players are Indy, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Buffalo (am I missing any?). June already played at Indy and Tampa Bay. Keiaho played at Indy. Chicago has good linebackers already. So where's the competition?

bigbub2352
03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I disagree on Fine... Although I want another talent at TE i do beleive Fine is better then many think. he showed some flashes last year in his brief opportunities, and I thought he looked better and smoother then Royal catching passes.

but the Bills never play their rookies enough in their 1st years to really judge them.. See Steve Johnson

trust me i hope ur right and i am dead wrong

ddaryl
03-13-2009, 03:08 PM
trust me i hope ur right and i am dead wrong

me too !!!

but I liked what I saw from Both Fine and Johnson, and ironically they played in the same amout of games had about the same amout of catches and YPC...

so while so many are high on Jackson you don't hear as much praise for Fine but like I said they both showed something and about the same amount

DrGraves
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
****ing Eh'. Peters just play. You allowed 31 sacks last year. You are the worst LT in the league. Not to mention you allowed 31 in 13 games. You suck. You don't deserve ****.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
While I really want a tightend like Coffman on this team I don't think a pass catcher like him will help us that much this year. With Evans, Owens, Lynch, Jackson and Reed there's going to be a lot of passes thrown to those guys. There's only one football. As of right now our first 3 picks have to be LBer, D End and Guard. After that I will just hope a guy like Ingram or Beckum will be there in the forth. If all else fails take Darrius Hill in the 5th. Tall, lanky tight end who had an incredible ypc at ball st. Can certainly split the seam.

venis2k1
03-13-2009, 03:35 PM
****ing Eh'. Peters just play. You allowed 31 sacks last year. You are the worst LT in the league. Not to mention you allowed 31 in 13 games. You suck. You don't deserve ****.

I dont know where you got your stats from.

Trent was sacked 23 times last year.
Losman was sacked 15 times last year.

23 + 15 = 38

If peters gave up 31 of our 38 sacks, we need to get busy extending the rest of the guys on our o-line.

Slim
03-13-2009, 03:43 PM

You mean he was 31st in the league in giving up sacks. And he gave up 13.

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Let's also remember that they were rookies last year. With TO here, I won't be that concerned if we decide to focus on the lines in the first rounds of the draft, and see what Fine can do as our TE.

Though the fact that they are bringing in Pettigrew is a clear indication that even with TO here, they're at least considering an upgrade.

raphael120
03-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info, Pat. You've been clutch this season. If you're ever in DC, let me know and we'll take care of your beer. ;)

Anyways...

We don't have the luxury of spending such a high round pick on a TE in the early first round of the draft. And we did select Fine in the 4th round, correct? While I think TE is important, I think it's more important that you have a decent corp of WR's and RB's. Sure having a Gonzales or a Gates would be awesome, but look at the crop of WR's the Chargers and KC. They're not very good. I think having TO and Evans AND Reed will make up for the fact that we may just have an average TE in Fine. If this is the year we're wanting to make noise, drafting a TE in the first round will not help us at all. Especially with the Bills track record at utilizing draft picks in the offense. Hardy didn't help at all, so why should a TE?

We need LB, DE, S, LG a lot more than we need a TE. DE is a MUST! It's pointless to have a TE that can help you score if the opposing team is always going to score easier on you because your Dline sucks ass.

patmoran2006
03-13-2009, 03:58 PM
rams just cut Torry holt.

lets see who makes a play for him, Im sure there is gonna be some action.

Michael82
03-13-2009, 04:01 PM
rams just cut Torry holt.

lets see who makes a play for him, Im sure there is gonna be some action.
I hope it's not the Jets or Dolphins.... :pray:

DBrown77
03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Heres a solution for Jason Peters:

Slide Peters to LG where his salary is line, move Walker to LT and draft a RT. Draft is deep in OL depth

Not the best solution, but then he cant complain about his pay

ARoid
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Wait, I'm confused. I thought Angelo Crowell has a visit scheduled for Monday?

TigerJ
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM

I beleive Steve Johnson and Derek Fine looke dgood in their brief apperancesI agree on both Fine and Johnson. When he played, Fine did everything asked of him. He got open and he caught the ball. I don't know that he had any drops. If he had any, they were few and far between. Like you, I'd really like to get an explosive playmaker at the position.

Oaf
03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Just move Peters back to TE and draft Andre Smith.

yordad
03-13-2009, 10:10 PM
****ing Eh'. Peters just play. You allowed 31 sacks last year. You are the worst LT in the league. Not to mention you allowed 31 in 13 games. You suck. You don't deserve ****.Why do you keep saying he had 30 drops?

LifetimeBillsFan
03-14-2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the info Pat!

The Bills need to win this season or they are rebuilding with a new coaching staff and Ralph may never see the team in the playoffs before he dies. TO gives them a window of opportunity, but I agree that it makes no sense to have TO and Evans if the Bills can give Edwards the time to throw them the ball, let alone go deep to them.

Shuffling the offensive line won't make it good enough. Drafting a rookie at LT means rookie mistakes, if the guy even has the talent to get the job done. Not giving Peters something close to what he wants means he holds out, is unhappy and out of shape when he reports, and he plays as poorly as he did last season or worse, despite his talent.

A key to the answer, for me, is Bell. If the coaches think that Bell, who they drafted because they loved his athleticism, has developed to the point where he can see some action this season and will be ready and able to give the Bills quality play at LT next season or the year after, they draft pretty much as we are expecting them to draft: pass-rusher (or LB) at # 11, OG-C/TE in round 2, TE/OG-C in the third round, etc. If they don't think that Bell is going to be able to develop into a replacement for Peters in a year or two, move Bell to OG and use the # 11 pick on an OT.

Give Peters pretty much the deal that he wants--negotiating the best deal that they can for the team, so that he is happy and plays well this season. 2010 is an uncapped year and the price for LTs will escalate quickly, with the top guys surpassing Peters' deal. If he is willing to play hard with that deal, keep him for 2010 while Bell or the rookie OT that they draft develops. If not, trade him--he should get at least a low 1st rounder. Otherwise, trade him in 2011--by then, Bell or the OT drafted this year will be ready to start.

Just because they give Peters a big-money, long-term deal this year that doesn't mean that they have to keep him for the entire length of the contract if they find a talent that can replace him with at least quality play or better. No need to trade him now and get stuck short-handed this season. Especially since the uncapped year will bring about an escalation in salaries for top-tier players that will bring his contract more into line and make it easier to trade him down the road.

I've said repeatedly in previous posts this past week that there were still some pretty good, experienced OGs available in free agency and that the Bills would try to bring one in. Also, that we should be patient about them signing an OLB because the market and interest in June and Keiaho was so limited that the Bills could afford to wait until their price comes down. So, I guess I was thinking pretty much along the same lines as the Bills FO.

I still think that the Bills' second round pick will depend on which interior O-linemen are still available at that point. Given how much they like versatile guys, I have been seeing them leaning towards a guy who is a center/guard, like Ungar, Luigs, Caldwell. But, that they could go for a pure OG if they have one, like Robinson, rated higher than a center/guard. Robinson would be an interesting pick considering the Peters situation since I think that he can also play some at OT (although I think it would have to be RT because he may not have the quickness to play LT). He would be an interesting pick--a pretty good one--but I think everything will depend on who else is still on the board and how the draft seems to be shaping up.

The guys at the Buffalo News (Sullivan and Wilson) seem to think that the Bills will try to draft an OLB. I don't know if they would do that if they sign either June or Keiaho. But, if they pass on TE to take an OLB in Rounds 2 and 3, Beckum would be an interesting pick if he slips into the 4th Round.

Fine gives the Bills a pretty good all-around TE who can do a lot of things well, but isn't really fast enough to stretch the field. If they sign a veteran blocking TE for the vet minimum in free agency. With Schouman also in the fold, the Bills could afford to go for a pure receiving TE, like Beckum or Ingram in the draft.

One thing that I think could really shake up the Bills draft is this: A lot of teams are reported to be very enamoured of South Carolina TE, J.Cook. After The Combine it has also been reported that Nelson has moved ahead of Pettigrew as the top TE on some draft boards. If Nelson and Cook are the first two TEs off the board because teams love them, it is just possible that Pettigrew may still be available when the Bills pick in Round 2. Assuming that they have taken a pass rusher or LB at # 11, what do they do? Do they take an offensive lineman or Pettigrew? Let's say it is a choice between Robinson and Pettigrew. Would you take Pettigrew and try to get Luigs or Caldwell in the third round? Or, would you pass on Pettigrew and take Robinson and try to get Beckum or Ingram later on? Interesting dilemma.

Finally, I've been saying for some time that the Bills would not re-sign Crowell. There was an article before he went on IR saying that they were unhappy with him because he free-lanced too much and was not as disciplined as they wanted him to be in his assignments. There was also concern about his knee holding up because it is a degenerative knee condition (and his brother's career was ended by injuries after a couple of years). Then, he opted for surgery right before the season started. That pissed them off and they put him on IR and kept him last year because they were pissed at him. So, after all of that, why would they be interested in signing him? They're not--they never were, they're not and they are not going to be. He is gone. Period. Other teams are interested, but very concerned about his knee and, as far as what has been reported, none has offered him a contract yet--because of the knee.

After watching the Bills give Duke Preston every opportunity in the book to make it as a starter on their offensive line and seeing him respond to those opportunities by stinking up the joint every time, why would any Bills fan in his right mind want to see him back in a Bills uniform? Just because the Bills don't have any back-up interior lineman at the moment? There are still free agent offensive linemen out there who are better than Preston and then there is the draft. It should shock or surprise absolutely no one that Jauron and his staff don't want Preston back. Why should they want him back? And, it seems like no one else in the NFL wants him, either. I'd rather see the Bills take a chance on a rookie who might develop into a decent player than waste more time on a guy like Preston who hasn't developed much at all in four full seasons. It's time to finally cut bait on the guy. And, I, for one, am glad to see that they have.