• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

My Bills Briefs for Friday

It appears the marriage between the Buffalo Bills and Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters is rocky again. Buffalo News writer Mark Gaughan published a story that according to league sources, the two are more than $3 million-a-year apart on a contract extension.

Peters looked for a new deal before last season and didn’t receive it, ensuing in a hold out lasting through all of training camp and the preseason. Peters eventually returned just days before the season opener. He struggled far more than in 2007 and despite making a second consecutive Pro Bowl, many attributed the selection to his reputation rather than play.

According to the report, Peters’ first offer this off-season was in excess of the $11.5 million annually given to Miami’s first overall draft pick of a year ago, Jake Long. Carolina’s Jason Gross just signed the largest free agent contract last month, earning $60 million over six years, including $30.5 million in the first three years. Eugene Parker, Peters’ agent, thinks his client is worth more than either player got.

While the Bills are certainly agreeable on giving a raise over the $4.05 million Peters is slated to make this year, it’s highly unlikely the front office is willing to reach $10 million per year or more.

This creates another prospective stalemate. The Bills, much like last year have three options of which none figure to help the team on the field. Buffalo can simply let him hold out again and fine him daily until he reports. The downside is a far less motivated and productive player. They can continue to negotiate and eventually succumb to Peters’ demands. That would tie up a lot of money and handcuff the team from making other moves they may like, even though they saved a pile of cash to cap money after cutting Derrick Dockery last month. Lastly, they could trade Peters before the draft and get a couple of good draft picks and possibly a player, but that would leave another gaping hole on the roster.

Philadelphia is considered to be an interested party closely monitoring the situation.

Regardless of the outcome, if the Bills really want Trent Edwards to succeed in his third season they need to make sure the injury prone quarterback is protected. Having to find a new left tackle or keeping Peters motivated without a new deal isn’t something the Bills are looking to take on. What good is having Terrell Owens and Lee Evans running patterns when the quarterback is constantly on his back or running for his life?

Both sides still have plenty of time, which is good because this is quickly taking on the look of a long, drawn out process.

On to a few other items…

---A trusted source tells me the Bills are preparing to take a look at San Diego free agent guard Michael Goff. No visit has been scheduled but Goff could be at One Bills Drive by early next week.

Sounds to me like the Bills strategy is to employ a veteran, albeit Goff or another free agent as a bridge to an April draft selection. Goff is long in the tooth after 11 NFL seasons, but would fill a stop gap role tremendously.
    Bills offensive line coach Bill Kugler was at the Oklahoma pro day this week and came away impressed, particularly with guard Duke Robinson. The Bills may strongly consider him in the second round of the draft.

---The Bills are remaining patient when it comes to a pair of linebackers who visited recently, Cato June and Freddy Keiaho. With fans growing impatient waiting for one to sign, the reality is the Bills don’t need to strike a quick deal. June and Keiaho are both system linebackers and neither has drawn interest around the league. The game plan is to wait for the price to come down with the player they value at team friendly terms. It’s also not out of the question both players could end up here to compete for a starting spot. The Bills placed a $1.01 million tender on Keith Ellison but it doesn’t mean they can’t cut him if they desire. If Ellison got cut the Bills would owe him nothing. While it’s not likely both June and Keiaho sign, it is a possibility.

---I thought Duke Preston would return to the Bills and fill a valuable backup role on the interior of the offensive line. But according to a source the Bills have no interest in having him back. I’m told head coach Dick Jauron was disappointed with his play by the end of last season, and his brain fart just before halftime of the New England finale was the last straw. The Bills haven’t talked to Preston about a contract since last season ended.

---Another former Bill definitely not coming back is Angelo Crowell. Despite an effort publicly to downplay any bitterness between the sides after Crowell was placed on injured reserve, I’m told the Bills have never had interest in bringing him back. Unlike other current Bills free agents like Preston, Melvin Fowler and J.P. Losman, Crowell is drawing plenty of interest. He’s already visited Tampa Bay and Detroit and Philadelphia are among teams interested.

---The Buffalo News is reporting college tight end Brandon Pettigrew will be visiting the Bills on Monday. While Pettigrew is the consensus top tight end in the draft and the Bills have a need to fill there, it’s not probable he’ll be selected with the 11th overall pick. Still, it’s smart to get know the player more and keep the door open should they decide they want him at their current draft position or following a trade down.

There are very few quality tight ends available in free agency, and none considered an asset in the passing game. The Bills are not interested in L.J. Smith.

It’s assumed the Bills are taking a tight end very early in the draft, but don’t bank on it. I’m told that the team really loves Derek Fine and think he’s capable of playing a larger role in the passing game than Robert Royal did.
    Last edited by patmoran2006; 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: My Bills Briefs for Friday

Briefs ? I took you for boxers.

Good job,Pat.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Oaf
      Do you read what you write?
      • Jun 2007

I started the Duke Robinson buzz days ago! I don't think he lasts till our 2nd round spot though.

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

Goff would be decent. I'm fine with him bridging until a draft pick is properly groomed. I'm also fine with being patient on the Cover 2 linebackers, because they have no game from any other Cover 2 teams... as long as they eventually sign one, because either one is an upgrade over Ellison, particularly June.

They need to get this Peters situation sorted out, and it's a two way street. They can't be stupid and let this guy get ticked off and hold out again. That didn't do anyone any favors.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

good read Pat...

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Thanks for sharing, pat!

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
              • Feb 2009

Good read Pat. I think that Peters will come down on the asking price but I wouldn't be surprised if they paid him 10 mil. I never thought they would give Lee 9 mil, I figured 7.5 tops. I want to sign him but if we do trade him it better be for atleast a 1st and 2nd or 3rd. If it's just a 1st it will be an awful trade. I hope Peter's demand were just a starting point and he comes in and participates in camp.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

I have been saying Mike Goff since FA started he would be solid for 2 yrs here at least, we better not just luv Fine, he is not the answer at TE he is a backup
                We will see....
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• shelby
                  The Vanilla *****
                  • Jul 2002

Thanks for the summary of the Peters situation Pat, and the inside info as well.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                    I have been saying Mike Goff since FA started he would be solid for 2 yrs here at least, we better not just luv Fine, he is not the answer at TE he is a backup
                    We will see....

I disagree on Fine... Although I want another talent at TE i do beleive Fine is better then many think. he showed some flashes last year in his brief opportunities, and I thought he looked better and smoother then Royal catching passes.

but the Bills never play their rookies enough in their 1st years to really judge them.. See Steve Johnson

I beleive Steve Johnson and Derek Fine looke dgood in their brief apperances
                    Last edited by ddaryl; 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• homeslice5484
                      • Jul 2008

if u can get some good draft picks for him and are confident you can find a capable LT why would you not trade him? Who is the left tackle for arizona? Oh yeah Mike Gandy. Who is the LT for Pittsburgh?

Comment

• homeslice5484
                        • Jul 2008

Fine is good as a TE...with owens and lee and josh, we dont need a great TE. Fill in the holes on the OLINE, LB, DE, and safety first.

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Here's the thing about being patient with the LBs ....
                          Any day, without warning, they could schedule a visit with a team, things go great, and they sign that day.
                          Poof.
                          It's not like the Bills can put a hold on a player. Every day they're available is another day they could suddenly be gone.
                          Likely? No. Possible? yes.
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Mudflap1
                            Next Question!
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                            Here's the thing about being patient with the LBs ....
                            Any day, without warning, they could schedule a visit with a team, things go great, and they sign that day.
                            Poof.
                            It's not like the Bills can put a hold on a player. Every day they're available is another day they could suddenly be gone.
                            Likely? No. Possible? yes.
                            Agreed. But I see their point in this particular situation also. June and Keiaho are undersized linebackers designed for the Cover 2. The only competition for these players are Indy, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Buffalo (am I missing any?). June already played at Indy and Tampa Bay. Keiaho played at Indy. Chicago has good linebackers already. So where's the competition?

Comment

• bigbub2352
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              I disagree on Fine... Although I want another talent at TE i do beleive Fine is better then many think. he showed some flashes last year in his brief opportunities, and I thought he looked better and smoother then Royal catching passes.

but the Bills never play their rookies enough in their 1st years to really judge them.. See Steve Johnson

I beleive Steve Johnson and Derek Fine looke dgood in their brief apperances
                              trust me i hope ur right and i am dead wrong
                              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Working...
                              X