PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Bills might wish they never cut Robert Royal?

yordad
03-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Picture this....3 wide, single tight end (for blocking), single back, Play-action to Lynch, Reed getting behind the LBs, Owens doing a deep cross, Lee streaking deep.

Trent is going to need time. What would help some is a solid pass blocking tight end.

We may have cut Royal so we could then get an extra passing threat out of a tight end, but now that they have Owens, they might think pass blocking is now a more desired trait to have in a tight end.

Lee, Owens, Lynch, Reed, Jackson, etc.... oh my.

I mean, there is only one football.

What do you think? :idunno:

The Spaz
03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
:lol::rofl:

DrGraves
03-13-2009, 09:42 PM
he's better than what we have currently..

yordad
03-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm just saying... the Bills needs may have changed a little.

Devin
03-13-2009, 09:56 PM
:roflmao:

Yes I know ill miss him dropping passes and generally being useless. That was awesome.

realdealryan
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
NO

T-Long
03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Royal was a poor ass excuse for a TE. Sure, he would make a great catch, but then he would put the ball on the turf. And let's not forget him not getting his feet in in the back of the endzone...****er

yordad
03-13-2009, 10:12 PM
That is the thing, the Bills may not necessarily need too many catches out of the TE position now.

The Spaz
03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
That is the thing, the Bills may not necessarily need too many catches out of the TE position now.

Anything is better than a fumbler.

SquishDaFish
03-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Why he SUCKS

Nighthawk
03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Umm, no...dumb question.

TigerJ
03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Derek is a fine blocker, well at least a pretty good one. Seriously, with a year of experience and strength work, Derek Fine should not be a liability as a blocker for Buffalo, and his receiving skills looked like they were better than Royal's too. I want the Bills to draft a playmaking TE, but they are OK with Fine as a blocking TE.

tat2dmike77
03-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh this is a serious question. I thought you were joking.

jamze132
03-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Royal sucks. Period.

OpIv37
03-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Royal was a mediocre blocker at best.

Fine and Schouman are both better receivers.

We won't miss Royal at all. Our opponents will probably miss his frequent brain farts at crucial junctures of the game, though (giving up a sack to Freeney on Buffalo's last chance to score and not keeping his feet in bounds on what would have been the game winning TD against Hou come immediately to mind).

DynaPaul
03-14-2009, 08:19 AM
They'll miss Robert Royal like I miss my ex-girlfriends.

Jan Reimers
03-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Fine and Schouman have both shown signs of developing into good players. Royal, while a team leader, was consistently mediocre.

Even if we don't draft one of the highly regarded TEs, we'll be better without Royal.

patmoran2006
03-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Fine and Schouman have both shown signs of developing into good players. Royal, while a team leader, was consistently mediocre.

Even if we don't draft one of the highly regarded TEs, we'll be better without Royal.
we'll be better at tight end if YOU line up there instead of Royal.

ddaryl
03-14-2009, 10:59 AM
The Bills barely get their rookies on the field, and Fine was never fully tested, but I'm ok with Fine and Schouman and getting another TE in the draft

psubills62
03-14-2009, 11:10 AM

I agree with this statement...but then why not just draft Pettigrew if all they need is a good blocker? Besides, Fine was pretty good at blocking too.

No, I doubt they'll regret cutting Royal at any point.

yordad
03-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Pettigrew if all they need is a good blocker? Because they have gaping holes in other spots. Why would they cut the tight end that was only good for blocking, when all they need is blocking, only to then draft a blocking tight end with their first round pick?

A better solution MAY have been to keep the blocking tight end (had they known they would sign T.O.), then draft a DE with that first rounder.

OpIv37
03-14-2009, 11:30 AM
The Bills barely get their rookies on the field, and Fine was never fully tested, but I'm ok with Fine and Schouman and getting another TE in the draft

this is one of this team's problems though. They keep getting it wrong and end up drafting the same positions year after year. We spent two draft picks in two years on TE's (granted, neither of them were high) and we're still not set at this position. This team won't get anywhere until they start drafting better.

Night Train
03-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Royal bobbled most every ball, whether he caught it or not.

I'm glad to see him go.

jamze132
03-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree with this statement...but then why not just draft Pettigrew if all they need is a good blocker? Besides, Fine was pretty good at blocking too.

No, I doubt they'll regret cutting Royal at any point.
There is no need to draft him at #11 or even trade down and still grab him. I think he is going to be a Royal clone in the NFL. **** that.

justasportsfan
03-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Picture this....3 wide, single tight end (for blocking), single back, Play-action to Lynch, Reed getting behind the LBs, Owens doing a deep cross, Lee streaking deep.

Trent is going to need time. What would help some is a solid pass blocking tight end.

We may have cut Royal so we could then get an extra passing threat out of a tight end, but now that they have Owens, they might think pass blocking is now a more desired trait to have in a tight end.

Lee, Owens, Lynch, Reed, Jackson, etc.... oh my.

I mean, there is only one football.

What do you think? :idunno:
thats not a bad thing since our OL sucks. If we build a good OL that doesn't need the TE to block then a catching TE would be better.

yordad
03-14-2009, 01:06 PM
thats not a bad thing since our OL sucks. If we build a good OL that doesn't need the TE to block then a catching TE would be better.Yeah, but our line is suspect. And, our blitz pickup is suspect. How many passes will be thrown to T.O. this year? Lee? Reed? Lynch? Jackson? The other WRs? Now, how many passes will Trent throw in total? Doesn't sound like there is all too many left to throw to a tight end, but we will see. I know if we put a 3rd pass receiving threat out there, I personally prefer it is Lynch, Jackson, or Reed. And, in some situations Hardy, Johnson, or Parrish.

psubills62
03-14-2009, 02:06 PM
There is no need to draft him at #11 or even trade down and still grab him. I think he is going to be a Royal clone in the NFL. **** that.

Haha, whatever you say, man.

jamze132
03-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Haha, whatever you say, man.
What is your fascination with that guy anyways?

psubills62
03-14-2009, 03:16 PM
What is your fascination with that guy anyways?

What fascination? I think he's going to be a good player, an he's the best TE prospect. I guess I should just assume he's going to suck because some people have that feeling? Why exactly do you think I have a fascination with him?

jamze132
03-14-2009, 04:14 PM
What fascination? I think he's going to be a good player, an he's the best TE prospect. I guess I should just assume he's going to suck because some people have that feeling? Why exactly do you think I have a fascination with him?
You are in the minority on this board about Pettigrew, that's all. I do respect the fact that you have your own opinion and aren't submitting to the majority though. :up:

Mr. Pink
03-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm glad the Bills cut him, I wish the Browns never signed him.

psubills62
03-14-2009, 04:17 PM
You are in the minority on this board about Pettigrew, that's all. I do respect the fact that you have your own opinion and aren't submitting to the majority though. :up:

Haha thanks. I think there's a decent number of people who wouldn't mind Pettigrew, they just wouldn't want to take him at 11. There's other guys I'd rather have at 11, but I don't expect any of them to be there, so I probably won't care too much if they drafted him there.

jamze132
03-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Haha thanks. I think there's a decent number of people who wouldn't mind Pettigrew, they just wouldn't want to take him at 11. There's other guys I'd rather have at 11, but I don't expect any of them to be there, so I probably won't care too much if they drafted him there.
I just don't think he's going to do anything in the NFL. If I'm wrong, I'll eat some crow.

psubills62
03-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I just don't think he's going to do anything in the NFL. If I'm wrong, I'll eat some crow.

I'm certainly no expert - I thought Matt Ryan and DRC would bust. I just think Pettigrew is better at blocking than Royal, and while he can't stretch the seam, he has better catching abilities. No one can predict for sure though, so we'll see.

feldspar
03-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Nah, with Lee and TO taking more men out of the box, this will open up a lot of underneath stuff, which is ideal for a good pass catching tight end...should be good for Reed as well. Then you can change things up by sending the TE on a longer route and keep defenses guessing...and we all know that Lynch and Jackson can catch balls as well. Defenses are going to find it hard to cover everybody. All this should improve the run game as well.

Royal was probably known for his blocking because he was a below average catcher, not because he is any kind of great blocker.

I won't miss Royal for a second...even if we don't pick somebody else up. But I think it's part of our plan to pick up a quality tight end.

justasportsfan
03-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, but our line is suspect. And, our blitz pickup is suspect. How many passes will be thrown to T.O. this year? Lee? Reed? Lynch? Jackson? The other WRs? Now, how many passes will Trent throw in total? Doesn't sound like there is all too many left to throw to a tight end, but we will see. I know if we put a 3rd pass receiving threat out there, I personally prefer it is Lynch, Jackson, or Reed. And, in some situations Hardy, Johnson, or Parrish.
exactly, so we are gonna need more blockers.

feldspar
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
exactly, so we are gonna need more blockers.

Trent has a quick release. If we send the tight end out on route and the guy he was supposed to block goes after the QB, chances are we can have a wide open tight end and a decent gain on the play.

TO is a good blocker, and so is Reed. If our line is suspect, it will be in the middle at Center or Left Guard. We'll have Walker and Peters, who the tight end will line up next to, on the ends. A blocking tight end won't help any Guard and definitely not the Center.

Anyway, no tight end is going to get a starter's job if he can't block...at least he shouldn't. Ideally, we want a guy that can both block and catch passes. A pass catching tight end on this team would complicate game plans for our opponents hugely. We'd have so many weapons and keep them guessing. They can't always put 8 men in the box, and we'd definitely be capable of burning them on a blitz.

justasportsfan
03-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Trent has a quick release. If we send the tight end out on route and the guy he was supposed to block goes after the QB, chances are we can have a wide open tight end and a decent gain on the play.

TO is a good blocker, and so is Reed. If our line is suspect, it will be in the middle at Center or Left Guard. We'll have Walker and Peters, who the tight end will line up next to, on the ends. A blocking tight end won't help any Guard and definitely not the Center.

Anyway, no tight end is going to get a starter's job if he can't block...at least he shouldn't. Ideally, we want a guy that can both block and catch passes. A pass catching tight end on this team would complicate game plans for our opponents hugely. We'd have so many weapons and keep them guessing. They can't always put 8 men in the box, and we'd definitely be capable of burning them on a blitz.right now our ol is a problem with Peters possibly leaving if nothing is done. TO's presence did nothing for the cowboys with Whitten as the TE.

the pats manhandled the cards' O that is way better than ours. They had more weapons than us with a better QB. Trents quick release isn't gonna do anything against them if Warner couldn't do squat against them.They will find a weakness if all we ever do is dink and dunk all over again.

This is why I'd rather we overpay for Peters. No more creating holes and we could do with a TE that catches moe than blocks.

oak tree 12
03-16-2009, 09:26 AM
LOFL, the guy sucked. did you like all the fumbles and dropped passes? he can block but so can fine and fine is 10 times the receiving thret royal was.

i say good freaking riddance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!