X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Bills Fans are Getting Disillusioned

1. I'm surprised that most people here have no clue about how the salary cap works. If we sign Peters to, let's say, a 6-year deal worth $65 million, we can easily front-load the deal and still have plenty of room to work with. The Bills always have lots of unused cap room, and don't do crap with it. Whoever handles our salary cap in our front office isn't very bright.

ASK CLUMP

2. People talk about "I don't want to overpay." Well, that's reality in today's NFL. If we have idle cap space and extra money, what's wrong with spending it on one of our elite players?? Would you rather have Ralph pocket the money??!!

3. Lee Evans got a deal averaging $9.3 million per year, and will probably see every penny. Most would argue that he's overpaid. Why wouldn't Jason Peters be worth more than that?

4. Why is it okay for the Bills to overpay for Dockery / Schobel / Kelsey, but not Peters?

5. If we won't pay Peters, someone else will. For some reason, many of you guys think that Peters is overrated. However, there are probably at least 5 NFL teams willing to overpay Peters AND give us draft picks (even the Eagles, a talented team, who just signed a RT). Doesn't that say anything?

6a. Enough about Pittsburgh. Max Starks is no slouch, and just because you don't hear his name much, doesn't mean he's not a good player. Willie Colon & Max Starks are a LOT better than Kirk Chambers & Langston Walker.

6b. Mike Gandy?? Doesn't anyone realize that if the Cardinals had a pro-bowl LT to neutralize James Harrison, they probably would have won the Super Bowl?

7. If we trade Peters, our chance of getting another equally-talented LT is about 25%. And even then, with the amount of time it takes to develop LTs, we will really be taking a few steps backwards.

In conclusion, if Peters is traded, hope you guys (whoever doesn't want to pay him) enjoy another terrible running game and seeing Trent Edwards on his back half the time.
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Bills Fans are Getting Disillusioned

Originally posted by Lexwhat
    1. I'm surprised that most people here have no clue about how the salary cap works. If we sign Peters to, let's say, a 6-year deal worth $65 million, we can easily front-load the deal and still have plenty of room to work with. The Bills always have lots of unused cap room, and don't do crap with it. Whoever handles our salary cap in our front office isn't very bright.

ASK CLUMP

2. People talk about "I don't want to overpay." Well, that's reality in today's NFL. If we have idle cap space and extra money, what's wrong with spending it on one of our elite players?? Would you rather have Ralph pocket the money??!!

3. Lee Evans got a deal averaging $9.3 million per year, and will probably see every penny. Most would argue that he's overpaid. Why wouldn't Jason Peters be worth more than that?

4. Why is it okay for the Bills to overpay for Dockery / Schobel / Kelsey, but not Peters?

5. If we won't pay Peters, someone else will. For some reason, many of you guys think that Peters is overrated. However, there are probably at least 5 NFL teams willing to overpay Peters AND give us draft picks (even the Eagles, a talented team, who just signed a RT). Doesn't that say anything?

6a. Enough about Pittsburgh. Max Starks is no slouch, and just because you don't hear his name much, doesn't mean he's not a good player. Willie Colon & Max Starks are a LOT better than Kirk Chambers & Langston Walker.

6b. Mike Gandy?? Doesn't anyone realize that if the Cardinals had a pro-bowl LT to neutralize James Harrison, they probably would have won the Super Bowl?

7. If we trade Peters, our chance of getting another equally-talented LT is about 25%. And even then, with the amount of time it takes to develop LTs, we will really be taking a few steps backwards.

In conclusion, if Peters is traded, hope you guys (whoever doesn't want to pay him) enjoy another terrible running game and seeing Trent Edwards on his back half the time.
    Pay him! He's easily a top 5 LT, but the most important thing is that is only 27 years old. Tra Thomas is 34 and just got a nice deal with Jacksonville. Young talented LTs must be retained.

Comment

• hydro
      • Oct 2005

BERNIAC!

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

I agree that Peters should be paid. There is room under the salary cap to pay him and a couple other of high priced good players. We could probably knock off Schobel and Kelsay after this season and save a few bucks since what they would make is no where near what their play deserves.

The money is there.

By the way, quit ****ing around and show Fred Jackson the money. They are disrespecting him IMO.
        Last edited by jamze132; 03-14-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• ct bills fan
          • Jul 2002

It can't hurt a cap that doesn't exist next year???

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

If JP is indeed top 5, he's worth $8.6M/year. The Bills have reportedly offered that.

Yet JP feels he's worth #1 O-linman in the NFL $'s... $11.5-12M.

Is there anyone on these boards that wants to argue he's the best NFL O-lineman being 31st in the NFL in sacks allowed?

The Bills have offered fair money... It's time for JP to step up and play the damn game!!!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by draz54
              If JP is indeed top 5, he's worth $8.6M/year. The Bills have reportedly offered that.

Yet JP feels he's worth #1 O-linman in the NFL $'s... $11.5-12M.

Is there anyone on these boards that wants to argue he's the best NFL O-lineman being 31st in the NFL in sacks allowed?

The Bills have offered fair money... It's time for JP to step up and play the damn game!!!
              The market is 9-10 million, not 8.6 million. I heard our offer was 7-8 million so where did you get 8.6 million anyway?

Every time the Bills get cheap it actually costs us more money.

We could have signed him last year for probably 8 million.

You are telling me that Peters is worth less than Lee Evans? That's insane.

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                The market is 9-10 million, not 8.6 million. I heard our offer was 7-8 million so where did you get 8.6 million anyway?

Every time the Bills get cheap it actually costs us more money.

We could have signed him last year for probably 8 million.

Where are people getting this idea? Last I checked, Jake Long still had signed a contract worth 11.5 million. What on earth gives you the idea we could have signed Peters last year for any less than he's asking now?
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

IMO Peters really hurt his bargaining power by going out and having a subpar season. I'm being generous with that assessment that stats show that he was one of the worst LTs in the game last year.

Unfortunately for the organization he won the popularity contest pro bowl vote.

What we saw out of Peters last year wasn't a top 5 performance, however based on his prior success I'd still say he needs to be paid around there.

And everyone knows that if he hit the open market, some team would go crazy and make him the highest paid lineman in NFL history.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    Yup.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                      IMO Peters really hurt his bargaining power by going out and having a subpar season. I'm being generous with that assessment that stats show that he was one of the worst LTs in the game last year.

Unfortunately for the organization he won the popularity contest pro bowl vote.

What we saw out of Peters last year wasn't a top 5 performance, however based on his prior success I'd still say he needs to be paid around there.

And everyone knows that if he hit the open market, some team would go crazy and make him the highest paid lineman in NFL history.
                      Well going by stats to judge an offensive linemen makes no sense.... Peters did allow sacks last year but that stat is thrown off by how many of those sacks were allowed because our QBs held onto the ball for way too long. Peters dominates every player he goes up against bar none.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                        • Feb 2005

Yup.

In this case, your opinion is clearly in the minority, and is not representative of what NFL front offices believe.

Ask 31 NFL front offices, and they will all say Peters is worth more to the team than Evans.

It actually doesn't matter what you or I believe. This is the way the NFL is and the way the market is.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                          By the way, quit ****ing around and show Fred Jackson the money. They are disrespecting him IMO.

The Bills spend time bringing in Fred Taylor / Deshaun Foster, etc.

However, extending our OWN Fred Jackson should be their priority!

Comment

• PH83
                            Zoner
                            • Jan 2009

Yup.
                            Franchise LT > Average-Abaove Average WR

Comment

• Throne Logic
                              Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                              • Aug 2002

I'm apparently in the minority. I don't believe whining the loudest, breech of contract, and mediocre on-field performance is proper justification for a top contract.

If he played like a top 5 LT last season, I might be more inline with a new deal. But he didn't. Plain and simple, he was not any where near the top LT's in the league. I believe the PB selection was a joke, based on what he did the year before; what with all the penalties and mistakes he had in 2007.

Earn it. Quit *****in' and show up for work.
                              Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

Working...
                              X