PDA

View Full Version : Why household-name QBs can’t find work, more mailbag questions

DynaPaul
03-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Consider the following two lists of quarterbacks’ names for a second: On one hand, you have Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller and J.P. Losman. On the other, you have J.T. O’Sullivan, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Dan Orlovsky. If I walked down the street and asked any casual fan which list of signal callers were on NFL rosters and which weren’t, I bet they would get it wrong nine out of 10 times.

That’ s because the accomplished Garcia and his gang of former first-round picks are still looking for work while the three relative no-names already have secure gigs as backup passers. But why?

Are the household names snubbing their nose at being backups and holding out hope for a starting gig? Or are teams reluctant to sign a former anointed one for fear that they will be unable to function effectively in their new role?

My guess is it has a lot more to do with the latter than the former. There is a certain dynamic and chemistry in a locker room and a positional meeting room, a pecking order if you will. Maybe a team like Buffalo or even Houston doesn’t want to sign a guy who anybody in the locker room could even perceive to be a threat to the starter. Maybe they just don’t know if those guys can emotionally handle being No. 2 when deep down they still think they are a No. 1. Guys like O’Sullivan and Orlovsky are likely thankful and appreciative for the opportunity they have been given. Losman and Grossman may not feel the same way.

More at http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-2009_ross_tucker_03_13_mailbag&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

B-DON
03-14-2009, 05:19 PM
im sure jp thinks he can start in this league. and honestly, thats the confidence i would want all my players to have.

theanswer74
03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
The Fitzpatrick signing still shocked me because I thought Jauron wanted someone older.

Buddo
03-15-2009, 09:13 AM
I think it's as much a sign that they see Edwards as the future QB, as anything else tbh. Fitzpatrick is a smart guy, who is just a bit older than Edwards. In effect, you can have them as a starter and backup, for some considerable time.
In Jauron's presser, he made the point that with Schonert and Van Pelt around, having a vet is less necessary in terms of experience, as both the aforementioned, have had their fair share.
It could however, be preferable in terms of getting a couple of wins, but Fitpatrick apparently showed them enough later on in the season, that they were happy to go with him.

justasportsfan
03-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe a team like Buffalo or even Houston doesn’t want to sign a guy who anybody in the locker room could even perceive to be a threat to the starter.

yup.