PDA

View Full Version : Does trading Peters make sense?

Mike
03-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Do you think that trading Peters makes sense?
Obviously that depends on what we get in return for Peters. I think an elite LT is worth at least 2 First rounders. If we trade Peters for 1 first rounder, this would be absolutly stupid because we would need to use that same pic on a LT who will most likely not be on the same level. Then we would neet to wait until he is developed -if he ever does- and at the end of this we would need to pay him. So trading Peters for a low first roudner is a bad idea and is risky. Throwing in a third roudner still does do it for me. Thrids rarely become all pros. A second rounder is getting closer, but still not enough. Two first rounder for Peters is a fair trade. You are getting a Pro LT for two risky picls. Historically less that half of the first rounder accomplish anything and a very small percentage of them become All Pros. Considering this, i would give up two first for a player at top of a very important possition. Now we also have to consider the fact that we have Peters for 2 more years, we do not have to do anything this year and following these 2 years, we can franchise him for 2 more years. So we do hold all the cards, paying him is also a good option howerver I would offer him an insetive based contract extention, wiht a lagidimate pay raise. Trading him for less than 2 first would be dumb. Besides, Buffalos drafst have been so awaful, that even if we had 3 first rounders, we may still screw all three pics up!

TacklingDummy
03-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Trading him this year with 2 years left on his contract doesn't make sense.

Trading him next year would make sense.

For the right offer trading him this year would make sense too.

justasportsfan
03-15-2009, 07:27 AM
not when your team is desperate.WE signed TO out of desperation.

Jan Reimers
03-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Better than paying him $12 million a year.

clumping platelets
03-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Without a doubt. Bills could actually fill 2 or 3 holes on this team if they handle trading him right and getting solid value for him AND that includes getting a replacement for him

Yasgur's Farm
03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
My top contract offer would be...
5 year $45M
$16M guaranteed
$3M '09
$5M '10
$6M '11
$7M '12
$8M '13

-OR-
5 year $55M
$16M guaranteed
$3M '09
$5M '10
$6M '11
$7M '12
$18M '13

If he's not inclined to sign one of these 2 offers, I trade him to the highest bidder,

clumping platelets
03-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Contracts may violate 30% rule :couch:

psubills62
03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I think the problem is that a lot of other teams out there saw how badly Peters played, Pro Bowl or not. You really think they don't see Peters as something of a risk? No one's going to trade two first rounders for Peters, especially this year when even teams like Philly could grab Britton or Beatty later in the first round.

I think we can hope for a first and a third, but people here are, imo, very unreasonable to expect two firsts.

If he was actually worth two first round picks, then he'd be worth a contract that pays 12 million per year. IMO, he's not worth either of those.

justasportsfan
03-15-2009, 08:48 AM
to other teams that have a decent line and O , Peters may not be that valuable to them. But to a team as crappy as the bills, Peters is valuable to us.

If teams like the eagles or Cards that are way ahead of us offensively end up trading for Peters and his asking price would mean they are simply trying to get better than they already are while the bills are trying to win with cheap alternatives. We haven't learned anything when they let big Pat go.

We're trying to move backwards instead of forward if you don't sign him

Yasgur's Farm
03-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Contracts may violate 30% rule :couch:Right you are... I forgot

5 year $45M
$16.85M bonus
$3.15M '09
$4.1M '10
$5.25M '11
$6.8M '12
$8.85M '13
=$20M guaranteed in '09

-OR-
5 year $55M
$12.25M bonus
$4.75M '09
$6.15M '10
$8M '11
$10.35M '12
$13.5M '13
=$17M guaranteed in '09

If he's not inclined to sign one of these 2 offers, I trade him to the highest bidder,

Mike
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I just dont like the idea of trading an all pro for a first round pick. more often then not, you will not be able to replace the all pro. now throw in the fact that it is LT, this increases the value. Now what is Peterś value? if not top ten money, then let him play out his contract and and franshise him if he is worth it when his contract runs out. It would be foolish to trade him, without getting good value back when we hold all of the cards. In another year, with a year left this changes, we can then maybe consider only getting a first if we are certain not to keep him ala Nate Clements. Ideally, when you strike gold with a great player or even a really good player -which we agree that Peters has been or could be- you try to keep him. I am much more in favor of paying a guy like Peters -when the time is right- then overpaying the Rober Royals of the NFL, etc... also when it comes to pics, we suck at talent evaluation which is why we have been picking top 15 the last 10 years or and have drafted zero superstars during this time period!

Mike
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
just look at it this way. when the patriots had Ty Law who wanted to be traded after winning a superbowl what did the pats do? keep in mind that they are great talent evealuators and could probaly find a good replacement for him in the later round [which they actually did using a 3rd round pic on Asante Samuel]... so remenber what they did? they did nothing, they did not renegitiate a contract when he had 2 years remaining. in the last year of his contract the same thing happened again when Law stated that he would not play with pats, so what did the pats do? nothing... they let him play out his contract, then -eventhough he complained for two years- they franchised him for the next two. so what is the lesson? by the time that they were done franshising him, and when he hit the oped market his value was way down. he went to the Jets then the Chiefs and the rest is histroy. Basically, the pats made an all pro play out his contract, then they franshised him twice, thus getting the 4 of Laws best years out of him for less money. They let him walk at the end of it! By the way, they went out and drafter Asante Samual with a 3rd rounder pic who then replaced Law. Buffalo should follow this model!

TigerJ
03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
My first preference would be that Peters and the Bills reach an equitable compromise in their contract negotiations. However, if Buffalo makes a decent offer and Peters won't accept it, then a trade may be the route to go in order to make the best of a bad situation. While I would love to see Buffalo get 2 firsts for Peters in a trade, I'm not sure that will happen. Chris Brown suggested a first and a fourth from Philly might be the best we could get. My perception is that Brown usually seems to have a pretty good handle on player values in a trade.

If the Bills did have to trade Peters, I'm almost thinking They should trade their pick at #11. I could see them ending up with 3 first round picks and an extra 3rd or 4th rounder as well. Under those conditions, I could see the Bills filling a bunch of holes with quality players.