PDA

View Full Version : What would McGahee be worth next year in a trade?

WG
05-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Assume that McGahee doesn't play much this year if at all and does not sustain further injuries to anywhere on his body.

What would he be worth IYO next year on the market trade wise?

Assume also that if he were to get hurt in limited action that his value would drop dramitically.

What do you think the Bills could get for a player the caliber of McGahee w/ a significant injury history in his last 3 full seasons played?

BillsNYC
05-13-2003, 12:03 PM
i think he'd be worth a high first rounder or low second rounder at least.

the second part of your question seams more like wishing he will get hurt than a question.

HenryRules
05-13-2003, 12:10 PM
I don't think this is a relevant question. TD and crew have made it rather clear that they don't plan to use McGahee this year unless he's 100% healthy and they've said nothing that I've heard indicating they will be getting rid of one of their RBs before next season either. It seems like a question entirely geared towards calling this a bad pick because we won't be able to get a similarly positioned pick next year.
For most first rounders, if you traded them the following year, or even 2 years later, you wouldn't get an equivalent choice. Coming into this past year, I doubt we could have gotten a second or even a 3rd rounder for Price, yet he wasn't a bad pick. After Moulds first couple of seasons, we would have had trouble getting a 24th for him too.

Add to the fact that next year's class is supposed to be one of the better drafts in a while when this years draft was weak according to most NFL personnel, and I really don't see how this is a fair question.

Throne Logic
05-13-2003, 12:23 PM
WM won't be on the trading block. As I see it, traditionally it is very difficult to get something in return for nothing. However, with TD running the show, that's pretty much how we got WM to begin with, so heck, what do I know.

WG
05-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
i think he'd be worth a high first rounder or low second rounder at least.

the second part of your question seams more like wishing he will get hurt than a question.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my fandom! :scratch:

My point there was only to say that in the unfortunate event that he would get hurt in only limited action, which is all that he'll see if he sees any action at all, then his stock would plummet. Don't you agree?

I mean, that will have meant significant injuries in each of his last 4 seasons played. I can't see how someone would trade away a first rounder for a player who has only proven that he can't stay healthy regardless of how good he would be if he could stay healthy. That's all.

WG
05-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I don't think this is a relevant question. TD and crew have made it rather clear that they don't plan to use McGahee this year unless he's 100% healthy and they've said nothing that I've heard indicating they will be getting rid of one of their RBs before next season either. It seems like a question entirely geared towards calling this a bad pick because we won't be able to get a similarly positioned pick next year.
For most first rounders, if you traded them the following year, or even 2 years later, you wouldn't get an equivalent choice. Coming into this past year, I doubt we could have gotten a second or even a 3rd rounder for Price, yet he wasn't a bad pick. After Moulds first couple of seasons, we would have had trouble getting a 24th for him too.

Add to the fact that next year's class is supposed to be one of the better drafts in a while when this years draft was weak according to most NFL personnel, and I really don't see how this is a fair question.

To the contrary HR! I wonder if you'd be saying that if it weren't me who had raised the question. :)

Next year the team will have to decide what to do. That's a fact!

There won't be enough carries to keep both RBs happy. It's not like we're talking about your Garner/Wheatley scenario here. I realize that you think that Wheatley and Garner are equivalent to Henry/McGahee, but the rest of the thinking football world would disagree highly with you.

McGahee was a gimme first or second overall pick had he not gotten hurt! Henry is a proven NFL top RB. Wheatley and Garner were never either.

Guys like McGahee are not happy "sitting" while another starts and they shouldn't be! If TD didn't realize this when he drafted McG, then he's an idiot, which he clearly is not! So TD knows full well that he can't just hang onto both realistically. Hence, our not having drafted a true "need position" w/ the selection!

It would be the ultimate in both unfairness and disrespect if Henry puts up a great season and he gets benched w/o an opportunity for a trade. As well, it would be very foolish of TD to allow that to happen. TD's playing w/ fire. If I'm not mistaken, Henry will be an UFA at the end of '04, right?

Please check me if I'm wrong. But if so, then Henry can walk and we'd get nothing for him. If that's also the case, then why on earth would he want to consider playing here after he was just benched following the type of season that he would have had.

Here's what you and others don't understand apparently:

McGahee cannot prove out that he can play/last a full season and play at a level of where people think he can unless he gets the opportunity! Unless Henry doesn't play, that won't happen! Eh!

So, it makes the question perfectly valid! Unfortunately, and especially not w/ Drew at QB while Gilbride plays both OC and QBC, there's no way on earth that both Henry and McGahee get enough carries for both to be happy!

Frankly, if McGahee's really as good as many think he will be and can overcome a solid injury trend/history not to mention this latest surgery, then it'd be a complete waste of talent to carry both Henry and McG on this team. If he's not that good, then it's a waste to carry him anyway unless he's fully resigned to being Henry's backup!

It really is that simple!

WG
05-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Actually, the best way that this could play out would be in Henry sustains an injury early in the season and his status is either uncertain or Gary gets hurt in relief and McG is forced into action late in the season and shows the world what he can/can't do at this level and following his injury.

Obviously that's not the desired situation. But unfortunately, I have no idea how else this could play out while keeping both Henry and McGahee happy next year w/o tremendous risks to the team.

But again, it's a simple question, and as far as I can see, the only options are the ones listed barring injuries or other undesirable stuff. So the question was raised as to which of the options the readers would pursue given the normal flow of the situation and the one that's in the best interests of the team. Obviously Henry and Gary going down w/ injury and McG getting forced into early action are not in the team's best interests.

It does make one think about the magnitude of the situation however.

kgun12
05-13-2003, 01:49 PM
I don't know what he is going to be worth even if he get his knee at 100%. He is injury prone. If I were a GM I wouldn't give more than a 3rd round pick for him. I know one thing for sure. There is NO WAY I would have wasted a 1st round pick on him if I had an 8-8 team and needed a Starting TE, backup at OL, WR, QB, DL, LB, DB. BTW did you notice the only position we don't need and didn't need help at RUNNINGBACK!

Wys this was a wasted pick on a guy that was not needed, was damaged goods, will probably always be damaged goods and we could have used any other position, or even traded down if we didn't see a "value" at anyother position. THere was so many other players at 23 that could have helped this team this year next year and beyound, without wondering when and if he will be ready to play, what it will do to teams chemisty (I thought we learned our lesson with the mullet).

WHAT A WASTED PICK!!!

casdhf
05-13-2003, 02:04 PM
holy *****, lets get to the season before we start talking about next year

WG
05-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
holy *****, lets get to the season before we start talking about next year

This year's draft makes that virtually impossible cas! You speak as if you don't know who we picked. Unfortunately, as kgun says, we drafted no one w/ any pick that will have an impact this year when it was fully possibly to do so. That will come back to bite us IMO although I'm curious as to the June 1st cut pickups.

Originally posted by kgun12
I don't know what he is going to be worth even if he get his knee at 100%. He is injury prone. If I were a GM I wouldn't give more than a 3rd round pick for him. I know one thing for sure. There is NO WAY I would have wasted a 1st round pick on him if I had an 8-8 team and needed a Starting TE, backup at OL, WR, QB, DL, LB, DB. BTW did you notice the only position we don't need and didn't need help at RUNNINGBACK!

Wys this was a wasted pick on a guy that was not needed, was damaged goods, will probably always be damaged goods and we could have used any other position, or even traded down if we didn't see a "value" at anyother position. THere was so many other players at 23 that could have helped this team this year next year and beyound, without wondering when and if he will be ready to play, what it will do to teams chemisty (I thought we learned our lesson with the mullet).

WHAT A WASTED PICK!!!

You know I fully agree w/ you k!!

BillsNYC
05-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

This year's draft makes that virtually impossible cas! You speak as if you don't know who we picked. Unfortunately, as kgun says, we drafted no one w/ any pick that will have an impact this year when it was fully possibly to do so. That will come back to bite us IMO although I'm curious as to the June 1st cut pickups.

You know I fully agree w/ you k!!

Repeat after me:

THIS.....WAS....ONE...OF....THE...SHALLOWIST..AND ....LEAST....TALANTED.....DRAFTS....EVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!

this was a great draft to get some players for depth....next year we will draft some great IMPACT players. The Pats made a great move by picking up extra picks for next years draft...i wish the Bills would have done the same...

Demon
05-13-2003, 07:37 PM
If McGahee plays 0 games this upcoming season, NO WAY would anyone offer a high 1st and 2nd rounder. Some of you over estimating McGahee.... he was great in college but got hurt, no team will offer their first 2 picks for a question mark.

If we do trade a RB it will be Henry becasue for 2 reasons.....

A.) We can get more in return
B.) McGahee has more upside then Henry

If McGahee doesn't play this season and Henry stuggles then we are in deep trouple IMO heading into next season because that will mean no playoffs and no certain #1 RB.

Kevikid
05-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Demon
If McGahee plays 0 games this upcoming season, NO WAY would anyone offer a high 1st and 2nd rounder. Some of you over estimating McGahee.... he was great in college but got hurt, no team will offer their first 2 picks for a question mark.

Demon speaks the truth. I come from the future, and this is the case...except we don't even try to trade either. We play out next season without McGahee, then we platoon to start the following year, and we trade Travis before the deadline or prior to the draft.

WG
05-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by BillsNYC

Repeat after me:

THIS.....WAS....ONE...OF....THE...SHALLOWIST..AND ....LEAST....TALANTED.....DRAFTS....EVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!

this was a great draft to get some players for depth....next year we will draft some great IMPACT players. The Pats made a great move by picking up extra picks for next years draft...i wish the Bills would have done the same...

Yeah, me too!

BUT INSTEAD...

we picked up a position that we're ear deep in depth wise w/ a Kelsay. Then we reached for an undersized OLB. Then we went for a WR who's sure not to be able to replace Reed or Moulds.

We could have at least drafted some positions that we needed for this season. But hey, perhaps that would have been silly. Why draft guys who can go to work right away when you can stockpile for two seasons down the road.

Funny, b/c it seems that many other teams found perfectly viable players to take around where we selected! I guess all the other GMs in the league are idiots.

Again, if McG doesn't work out one way or another, you can grade this draft a C max!

I mean heaven forbid that we should have taken a WR in rounds 2 or 3. Or an OL-man in the 2nd or 3rd!

But hey, I'm sure that none of the ones drafted were worth it. And gosh, how we needed another DE who won't start this season. Gee, that makes what now, 6 or 7! I guess TD doesn't have so much confidence in Jones afterall, eh.