PDA

View Full Version : I will not be happy if the Bills trade Peters

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
We will not get enough in return.

Pay the man already. Not like the team doesn't have the cap room.

Why make a bold move in TO then skimp out on Peters?

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't want to hear about his poor play at times last year either. He was clearly affected by no Training camp.(yes I know that was his own fault) Get him a full TC and he will be dominant again.

hydro
03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this thread so far...

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Why make a bold move in TO then skimp out on Peters?
to think we got TO for a bargain. Use the money saved on Peters.

Pride
03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Everyone agrees that JPeters should get a raise. But how do you know that the Bills haven't offered him a top 5 OT contract and JP turned it down?

It's possible that JP is so greedy that he is holding out for a contract that makes him the highest paid player at his position. A dollar amount that I don't want the Bills to pay for him. He is a top 10 OT. Not a top 1.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
This thread couldn't have been added to the other 3 dozen Peters threads?

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Everyone agrees that JPeters should get a raise. But how do you know that the Bills haven't offered him a top 5 OT contract and JP turned it down?

It's possible that JP is so greedy that he is holding out for a contract that makes him the highest paid player at his position. A dollar amount that I don't want the Bills to pay for him. He is a top 10 OT. Not a top 1.

what's your option ? rebuild the OL via the draft ?

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 03:23 PM
This thread couldn't have been added to the other 3 dozen Peters threads?
Just delete every MItchell59 thread (event he ones that have nothing to do with Peters) and this thread will be fine.

Pride
03-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Yup. I dont think T.O. all of a sudden makes us a playoff contender. So, with that... Trade JP for a few draft picks and use them all on OL's.

In fact... I'd like, very much, to use every single draft pick this year on nothing but OL's and DL's.

Build for the future!

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
to think we got TO for a bargain. Use the money saved on Peters.
There you go.

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Yup. I dont think T.O. all of a sudden makes us a playoff contender. So, with that... Trade JP for a few draft picks and use them all on OL's.

In fact... I'd like, very much, to use every single draft pick this year on nothing but OL's and DL's.

Build for the future!
:rofl: You trust this staff to know what they're doing in the draft? Do you trust this staff to know how to develop players?

I'd rather risk paying Peters and hope he'll end up getting to what he was in 07 by showing up at camp than let this FO draft players and wait 3-4 years before this staff even turns their TOP draft picks into average players which is what they've proven to do all these years.

OpIv37
03-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Build for the future!

the problem with that theory is that it relies on the same Bills FO that has failed to rebuild properly for over a decade- roughly 3 attempts. They're ****ing incompetent.

If we get picks for Peters, they'll do one of two things:
1. Use them to hoarde more CB's and WR's
2. Use them on the next Tim Anderson/John McCargo.

bigbub2352
03-16-2009, 03:34 PM
the problem lies in the front office with poor drafting and neglecting the Lines both D and O with backups on other teams we just cant seem to get ahead
Peters is not worth being the top paid OLINeman in the NFL top 5 yes but not the top, and that is the issue
Trade him and use the 11th pick on one of those LTs coming out this yr and with extra picks get ur pass rush
sign a vet to man the RG after moving butler to LG, and draft some depth

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
the problem with that theory is that it relies on the same Bills FO that has failed to rebuild properly for over a decade- roughly 3 attempts. They're ****ing incompetent.

Our vet OL couldn't even handle AFCE teams that play 3-4 defenses and yet we expect a bunch of rookies to do better?

I expect Rex Ryan to build an aggressive D with the jets and Leonard to give him tips of how the bills play. Not that they need it. Even Stevie Wonder can see whats coming when our O lines up.

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Trade him and use the 11th pick on one of those LTs coming out this yr and with extra picks get ur pass rush

the problem lies in the front office with poor drafting

say what?

the problem lies in the front office with poor drafting and neglecting the Lines O ....

....Peters is not worth being the top paid OLINeman in the NFL top 5 yes but not the top, and that is the issue

Not paying your best OL player in recent years and making him happy would be neglecting your OL.

bigbub2352
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
say what?

Not paying your best OL player in recent years and making him happy would be neglecting your OL.
im not saying to not pay him, i am saying that if he will only excpet being the top paid LT in the league then maybe its better to allow someone else to get ripped off
This is a guy who the media dubbed an elite OT, i have yet to see it, 12.5 sacks last yr is alot to give up only playing 15 games, also being the highest penalized tackle, and also ranked 31/32 LTs in terms of play i guess that justifys being top elite LT in game

I am saying if it cant be negoitated unless he is top paid then good bye and be someones elses media dubbed elite talent

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
im not saying to not pay him, i am saying that if he will only excpet being the top paid LT in the league then maybe its better to allow someone else to get ripped off
This is a guy who the media dubbed an elite OT, i have yet to see it, 12.5 sacks last yr is alot to give up only playing 15 games, also being the highest penalized tackle, and also ranked 31/32 LTs in terms of play i guess that justifys being top elite LT in game

I am saying if it cant be negoitated unless he is top paid then good bye and be someones elses media dubbed elite talent

When Peters was at camp in 07, it could be argued he was top 3 in the league. I'll pay him and hope that he can return to that 07 form by going to camp. Thats risk 1.

Risk 2 is, we go into the season with a bunch of rookies facing the 3-4 Pats, jets and fins . Rookies that I'm not even sure the scouting dapartment will get right to begin with. Even if by some miracle they got it right, I haven't seen this coaching staff develop players into problowlers in their 2nd year let alone their rookie year.

Which scenario do you think is closer to making Fitzpatrick as starter at some point in the season ? I say risk 2.

You say let some other team overpay for Peters and yet we're overpaying for guys like Kelsay and Aaron. He may become a bargain once the uncapped year kicks in.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Build for the future!
Why even bring in TO for one year if it wasn't to make us a playoff contender?

JP is a freaking free agent. How can we trade him?

I wouldn't mind focus on the O and D line though. I am with you on that.

bigbub2352
03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
When Peters was at camp in 07, it could be argued he was top 3 in the league. I'll pay him and hope that he can return to that 07 form by going to camp. Thats risk 1.

Risk 2 is, we go into the season with a bunch of rookies facing the 3-4 Pats, jets and fins . Rookies that I'm not even sure the scouting dapartment will get right to begin with. Even if by some miracle they got it right, I haven't seen this coaching staff develop players into problowlers in their 2nd year let alone their rookie year.

Which scenario do you think is closer to making Fitzpatrick as starter at some point in the season ? I say risk 2.

You say let some other team overpay for Peters and yet we're overpaying for guys like Kelsay and Aaron. He may become a bargain once the uncapped year kicks in.

Im not argueing with you, i agree 100% that our fornt office is horrible at contracts and draft evaluation u will get no arguement form me at all, i am just saying if the only way to get peters on board is to make him the highest paid Olineman in the game i fear that his ******* agent would stage another hold out once the market changes, and when is enough enough?
I am all for resigning him just not making him the top paid NFL Olineman
honestly after what peters did last year at LT how far would the differance be if we did trade him and took a LT at 11,
assuming Modrak and Brandon dont take the next Mike Williams lol
we are on the same page

X-Era
03-16-2009, 04:02 PM

I think we will pay the guy but it will take a long time to get done.

justasportsfan
03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
i fear that his ******* agent would stage another hold out once the market changes, and when is enough enough?

he can't anymore. He will be signed as an LT and not RT. The bills got a bargain for him at LT for 2 years despite his play last year.

feldspar
03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
$11.5 is too much. The Bills can't afford to be perceived as being bullied into renegociating a contract for too much money by anybody. They can't give the impression of acting out of fear. Is Peters underpaid? Yes, of course he is. Everybody knows that. But $11.5 million is too much. Everybody knows that, too...well, most people do.

He is going to have to compromise. He can't just say "#11.5 million or nothing." He's not in the position to do that. He's under contract. I bring this up not to suggest that the Bills should play hardball with him, but it should be considered in the process.

He's on the roster for 2 more years, and after that, he can be franchised. There is no way the Bills will go the route of holding him at his current salary for the remaining two years of his contract, but he's got to use some common sense. I couldn't believe it when he was named to the Pro Bowl this year...most people feel he didn't deserve to, but now he seems to be pulling it as some sort of trump card, which is BS. He started out terribly and then gave up some huge game changing plays last year.

There is no way he is the top LT in the game, and shouldn't be paid as such. I personally don't care how much money they give him...the Bills always operate under the cap anyway, and it's not my money. I'm just talking about the way the Bills might be perceiving the situation. The way he held out hurt our team last year, too...that should be considered, but we shouldn't operate under the fear that this could happen again.

"Underpaid" as he was last year, he still saw more money last year alone than I will probably see in my entire lifetime. I don't have any sympathy for him, and "underpaid" is relative. This "pay the man what he deserves" crap is laughable, because pushing another man for an hour or two a year (tops) doesn't merit making you a multi-millionaire in the land of reason.

Peters needs to negociate, not make a demand and remain silent like he did last year. He needs to compromise.

hydro
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM

JP is no longer and never again will be JP Losman.

JP = Jason Peters now Corey! :shakeno:

Saratoga Slim
03-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Keep in mind that Albert Haynesworth is getting about 12M gauranteed this year (41M gauranteed over the first 4).

11.5 to Peters is a freaking ton of money. While I would kill to have him locked up and happy, I think I'd rather kill than pay him 11.5M.

I do still think that this deal is going to get done though.

OpIv37
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM

JP= Jason Peters, not Losman

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM
JP= Jason Peters, not Losman
Oh my mistake. Sorry

OpIv37
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I had to read it twice myself. We've been using JP to refer to Losman for so long that we seem to have forgotten that other people have the same initials.

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I had to read it twice myself. We've been using JP to refer to Losman for so long that we seem to have forgotten that other people have the same initials.
True that sorry Pride

Jeff1220
03-17-2009, 07:41 AM
If this is a true negotiation, and not a demand, there's still hope that they'll find some middle ground at about $9.5-$10M per. I'd be fine with that. I don't want the OL to regress; it seemed like it was just starting improve to a strength instead of a weakness.

ddaryl
03-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm growing tired of Peters and his greed. Kind of like Corporate/AIG executiives.

why do some people demand to have more money then they need. The Bills neeed to fill in holes, and paying Peters 11.5 million will guarentee the Bills leave a few holes open to be able to fit Peters salary into their budget.

Force him to play his last 2 seasons under his present contract under the guise of trying to get a deal done in 2009, but really just stall. Franchise him in 2011 for trade, and plan to replace him before then. He probably won't hold out this year, but I bet he will in 2010.. Draft and/or groom his replacement ASAP and work from there.

I just do not believe Peters is worth 10 mil per. and him demanding 11.5 just screams future problems with him... You would think and undrafted player groomed for the LT job would have a tad bit of loyalty towards the team that gave him his shot, and then gave him an extended contract and a raise without him even asking... What we got is a player who is now more concerned with money and willing to hold and entire franchise hostage even after they did treat him extremly well from the get go.

Bert102176
03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I tottaly agree but this is how RW runs the team he ownes that's why we lost Pat Williams, nate Clements, jonnas Jennings, antoine winfield and as such is why our team has missed the playoffs 9 years and running

justasportsfan
03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm growing tired of Peters and his greed. Kind of like Corporate/AIG executiives.

why do some people demand to have more money then they need. The Bills neeed to fill in holes, and paying Peters 11.5 million will guarentee the Bills leave a few holes open to be able to fit Peters salary into their budget.

Force him to play his last 2 seasons under his present contract under the guise of trying to get a deal done in 2009, but really just stall. Franchise him in 2011 for trade, and plan to replace him before then. He probably won't hold out this year, but I bet he will in 2010.. Draft and/or groom his replacement ASAP and work from there.

I just do not believe Peters is worth 10 mil per. and him demanding 11.5 just screams future problems with him... You would think and undrafted player groomed for the LT job would have a tad bit of loyalty towards the team that gave him his shot, and then gave him an extended contract and a raise without him even asking... What we got is a player who is now more concerned with money and willing to hold and entire franchise hostage even after they did treat him extremly well from the get go.

I'm also tired of Ralph and this FO getting rid of it's top players and paying players who aren't worth the money he's paying them which in turn produces a losing team on the field.

Based on what Pat Williams was asking for way back then, we thought he was too expensive. We know now he would've been worth it and chances are, if Peters ends up playing like he did in 07, he'd be worth it too.

Unlike Jake LOng who got a contract without proving anything, Peters worked his way up to where he's at today to think that LT wasn't his original position. This could mean that he has what it takes to even get better especially with better coaching.

HHURRICANE
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I tottaly agree but this is how RW runs the team he ownes that's why we lost Pat Williams, nate Clements, jonnas Jennings, antoine winfield and as such is why our team has missed the playoffs 9 years and running

This thread nails it.

How many roster spots would we have saved by resiging Winfield alone?

MPN
03-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Good post, I agree. There isn't any sense in getting rid of a solid o-lineman for far less than he's worth. Unless of course there is a free agent tackle of above average quality we can get to replace him. However, I like where your going with this.

Devin
03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree Thurm, even though Peters was the party ***** for DE's throughout the NFL last year we should totally toss like 50-60 mil his way.

Its a proven fact when you give underachieving players tons of cash they automatically play way better.

MPN
03-18-2009, 09:04 AM

TO was not brought in to make us a playoff contender, besides no one in their right mind could possibly believe one man could bring us that far, outside from finding a solid franchise quarterback. TO was brought in as a desperation move to buy back the waning fan base and convince businesses to re-rent the suites that were up for renewal this year.

djjimkelly
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't want to hear about his poor play at times last year either. He was clearly affected by no Training camp.(yes I know that was his own fault) Get him a full TC and he will be dominant again.

add in the 50 million $ bum next to him apparently played real bad