PDA

View Full Version : CBS: Report: Lynch to receive 1-2 game suspension

Romes
03-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Oh no...he's been called into the principal's office.

Buffalo Bills' running back Marshawn Lynch will meet Tuesday with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York to discuss Lynch's arrest last month -- the second time in nine months he has been involved with the law.

The expectation is that Lynch will be suspended, with persons close to the situation anticipating that Goodell probably punishes him for one but no more than two regular-season games.

Any decision, however, will not take place until after Goodell sits down to interview the running back and allows him to defend himself.

Lynch is expected to be accompanied by lawyers, as well as by members of the Buffalo Bills. It is not anticipated that the Bills will take action against the two-year veteran, no matter what Goodell's findings are in the wake of Tuesday's hearing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11510823

Michael82
03-17-2009, 01:36 AM
My prediction.... 3 game suspension.

Night Train
03-17-2009, 04:19 AM
I hope Goodell doesn't say " Let me be blunt with you ".

Lynch will pull out his lighter.

buffgu668
03-17-2009, 05:03 AM
good now we can rest on his head now

Yasgur's Farm
03-17-2009, 06:17 AM
I hope Goodell doesn't say " Let me be blunt with you ".

Lynch will pull out his lighter.LMFAO

Patrick76777
03-17-2009, 06:29 AM
My prediction.... 3 game suspension.

If he gets even one game, I'll be surprised. 3! Not a chance.

Jan Reimers
03-17-2009, 07:13 AM
He should be suspended, for his own good. He just might be capable of learning something from this, but we'll have to wait and see.

DraftBoy
03-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Id going to be between 2 and 4 games.

Goobylal
03-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I can see 1 game, which gets reduced to a fine. And the idea.that Lynch will learn something from a suspension versus getting arrested and charged is silly.

Goobylal
03-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I can see 1 game, which gets reduced to a fine. And the idea.that Lynch will learn something from a suspension versus getting arrested and charged is wrong.

kgun12
03-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Second offense, illeal gun, drugs involved on probation from first offense= 4 games!

Patrick76777
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Second offense, illeal gun, drugs involved on probation from first offense= 4 games!

Traffic violation, gun in a bag in the trunk of a car, Never failed a drug test = NO WAY IN HELL 4 GAMES!

Goobylal
03-17-2009, 08:24 AM
If Goodell suspends him for more than a game and basically says that what Lynch did (illegal firearm; the pot allegations were bogus thus no charge, and last year's incident was an accident) was AS bad as Brandom Marshall getting arrested 3 times and smacking around his woman, it will be a black mark on the league. And then Goodell will have to suspend himself.

Jan Reimers
03-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Why do we defend Lynch's abhorrant behavior?

kgun12
03-17-2009, 08:47 AM

Cause they want to win and get "national attention" so bad that they are willing to minimize everything and let these players say or do what they want. Some of the same people that are defending his actions would be the first to cry we need stuffer penalties for drunk drivers and more gun control!!!,

shelby
03-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Because he plays for the Bills, silly!

i think a 3 to 4 game suspension is warranted.

Coach Sal
03-17-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11510823/rss

OpIv37
03-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I still think they're gonna hit him with 4. They let him skate with his first incident so they're gonna come down on him hard.

homeslice5484
03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Run Jackson Run!

shelby
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM
threads merged:miyagi:

Patrick76777
03-17-2009, 09:04 AM

I'm not defending anything. Just guessing at his arguement. You can spin just about anything to make it seem worse.

Marshawn was drinking (unproven) and ran into a girl (who was "reported to be drunk and dancing in the street). He avoided the police (turned out to be a great legal move) and "scammed" the system by only getting a $100 traffic violation (NICE LAWYER!).

Then he was hanging out with bad men using drugs in a parked car (friends) when the police thought something was suspicous (Racial profiling?). The police think Pot was being smoked in the car (Couldn't pin it on Marshawn) and in a search found a loaded weapon in the car which belonged to Marshawn. (in a bag in a trunk).

Plus, suspensions are based on precedent! 4 games are reserved for those who fail drug tests or other terrible on the field indiscretions.

Like I’ve said before, Brandon Marshall was all over the police blotter for drunk driving (proven) and numerous domestic violence calls. He got 3 games, which was reduced to 1.

See, the difference is that I’m actually looking at past suspensions and trying to fine precedent for a possible suspension. Others appear to have their moral compass on overdrive and are arbitrally saying 4 games based on the fact that 4 games is the standard drug suspension. Again, in this instance, there was no failed drug test.

And I don’t put much stock in the theory that a suspension is going to get him straightened out.

OpIv37
03-17-2009, 09:07 AM
And I don’t put much stock in the theory that a suspension is going to get him straightened out.
but Goodell does. Remember, this was the guy that thought he could fix Pacman with a 1 year suspension.

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
but Goodell does. Remember, this was the guy that thought he could fix Pacman with a 1 year suspension.

I don't think it is only about fixing player X, but it is also about Player Y getting the message that doing (pot, guns, drinking and driving, etc.) is not acceptable.

HHURRICANE
03-17-2009, 09:14 AM
He deserves a 4 game suspension and Goddell might me doing him a favor if he does.

Guns, Pot, no license. The guy is a moron and 1 game isn't going to do much to change him.

Patrick76777
03-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Guns, Pot, no license. .

Now that's Spin!

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Now that's Spin!

How is that anymore spin that you saying the woman he hit was drunk and dancing in the street? It was a hit and run, no matter how you cut it.

And the racial profiling crack? The cars plates were messed up and had been driving erratically.

Patrick76777
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
How is that anymore spin that you saying the woman he hit was drunk and dancing in the street? It was a hit and run, no matter how you cut it.

And the racial profiling crack? The cars plates were messed up and had been driving erratically.

I said I was spinning! Read it again.

Pinkerton Security
03-17-2009, 09:23 AM
im not defending lynch but all us "experts" again seem to know more than most...its NOT gonna be more than 2 games.

FN_IDIOT
03-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I have a few questions:
1) Do "Thugs" have multiple run in's with the law?
2) Do "Thugs" have loaded guns in their cars?
3) Do "Thugs" sit in their tinted window cars smelling of marijuana?
So please fill in the blank:

Marshawn Lynch is a <answer here>

Pinkerton Security
03-17-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a few questions:
1) Do "Thugs" have multiple run in's with the law?
2) Do "Thugs" have loaded guns in their cars?
3) Do "Thugs" sit in their tinted window cars smelling of marijuana?
So please fill in the blank:

Marshawn Lynch is a <answer here="">

ignorant.
</answer>

kgun12
03-17-2009, 09:48 AM
ignorant.
</answer>

Reality, ignorant is justifing or making excusses for bad behavior!

kgun12
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Pat in this case it's not "moral compass on overdrive". I am looking at his history and Goodell's record dealing with these guys. I am not sayin Lynch is in Packmans league (YET!), but some hear will argue that Packman was never convicted of anything and look what he got. I would say he got less than he should have. He should have never been let back in the NFL. So I think Lynch will and should get 4 games.

Pinkerton Security
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Reality, ignorant is justifing or making excusses for bad behavior!

is this in english? Im just not all about labeling people, sorry, not my style.

mybills
03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
He may deserve 4 games...
He may learn from 4 or more games...but Patrick is making a good point here.
Goodell has to have all of the evidence for a suspension. Meeting with him will decide it all, not any of our opinions.

topher180
03-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Most don't care what he does because he's a good player. Same reason why so many embraced T.O. despite the locker room rep he has. I'm not saying T.O. is a criminal (just an ego maniac), but any average sports fan knows the deal when it comes to celebs/sports figures and the lack of justice when they F up.

To be honest, all I care about is that he doesn't get into anymore trouble, because that = more suspension. There are plenty of crummy human beings in the NFL that don't get arrested or tote guns or commit vehicular manslaughter. His job is to play football, and it happens to be for my team. I want him on the field. That's all I really give a S*** about.

PH83
03-17-2009, 10:15 PM
ignorant.
Isn't this kind of labeling? Just saying....

losman2evans
03-18-2009, 12:03 AM
my guess 2-4 games
leaning toward 4 games- would be two if he didn't have that hit and run incident.

MarvLevy
03-18-2009, 12:45 AM
1 game.....maaaaybe 2. depends how sorry he makes himself seem

kelly2reed4six
03-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Give me break! I'm really don't want to try to defend lynch, but do NOT lump him in with the losers like Pac Man, Plax, Vick ,etc. He def. deserves a suspension because he put himself in a stupid situation! But, he's twenty two years old! He's a KID! He's from a rough area and is obviously still facing some culture shock!! Imagine if you made 40K a year, and then overnight had a couple mil coming in a year! Any of us would face a bit of culture shock as well!! Yeah, maybe we didn't grow up in the "ghetto", but we still are not used to a millionaires lifestyle, not to mention fame!! The whole "the care smelled of pot and we found 3 blunts" thing is a load of horse shi*! When I was 18 myself, and two friends were pulled over! There was a blunt in the car. Guess who was charged with possession when noone fessed up?? The owner of the car! They police don't just NOT charge someone with possesion of marijuana, especially when it's enough to fill three blunts!

Marshawn is already developing into a huge positive energy presence on this team. He is a good kid who hasn't completely adjusted to the lifestyle. Yes, he deserves a suspension of a couple games. After this incident, mark my words we will NEVER hear of anything like this again. He's not a douche bag like the other losers (pac man, plax, etc.)

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Why is doing pot unacceptable? None of you ever did it?

Come in, confess. Or I'm going to start naming names.

HHURRICANE
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Why is doing pot unacceptable? None of you ever did it?

Come in, confess. Or I'm going to start naming names.

It's not the pot alone. It's the pot, the unregistered car, firearms, etc.

And the 2 convictions that aren't on most of our records.

Goddell's eveidence is a player that pleaded guilty to breaking the law twice within a year.

I love to watch Lynch play but he is a moron. Plain and simple.

I now beleive that the girl in LA was sexually assaulted.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 08:46 AM
I just want to name names.

I mean, he's just a football player. Would you want a professional that you've hired to be high all the time?

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
It's not the pot alone. It's the pot, the unregistered car, firearms, etc.

And the 2 convictions that aren't on most of our records.

Goddell's eveidence is a player that pleaded guilty to breaking the law twice within a year.

I love to watch Lynch play but he is a moron. Plain and simple.

I now beleive that the girl in LA was sexually assaulted.Because he was smoking pot?

HHURRICANE
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Because he was smoking pot?

What are you not understanding? The guy has pleaded guilty twice in less than a year.

The second time involved pot and unregistered firearms which are both crimes.

If your debate is on the legalizing of pot find another forum.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
What debate?

But I'd like to know how the recent incident has anything to do with whether or not he assaulted anyone previously.

HHURRICANE
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
What debate?

I'd like to know how the recent incident has anything to do with whether or not he assaulted anyone previously.

The guy got his pass on the sexual assault but now had two run ins withe law since.

A pattern is developing.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 11:01 AM
And what makes you think I'd want to legalize marijuana? I'm just saying that he's just a football player. It's not like it affects his product or his service.

HHURRICANE
03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
And what makes you think I'd want to legalize marijuana? I'm just saying that he's just a football player - not a computer-maker/repairer. It's not like it affects his product or his service.

I care becuase the league tests for it and if he gets caught he can't play. I also care that he's getting suspended for being a moron.

You are saying that pot is no big deal but him being involved with it, either in his trunk or in his blood, keeps him off the field.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, that's a good point.

I'm just responding to the moral outrage exhibited by kgun12. He's a "bad person"

HHURRICANE
03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, that's a good point.

I'm just responding to the moral outrage exhibited by kgun12. He's a "bad person"

I don't care if he's chopping up drifters and burying them in his backyard. As long as he doesn't get caught and can play on Sunday I could care less.

The guy is stupid for not understanding that staying out of trouble costs him money and maybe his career. Driving around with hoodlums, guns and pot and getting caught is just plain stupid.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I'll give you stupid.

Stoneludlow
03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Suspend Lynch and his fine should be equal to his pay for those game(s) suspended.

If you hit these guys where it matters most, in their wallet, then maybe they might learn something.

Also what about a three strike rule: three run-ins with the law and automatic banishment from the league and forfeit all money that the player would earn in contract, bonuses, and pension. Maybe if one or two would screw up bad enough to have this happen the rest of the league would sit up and take notice!!!

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't know if a "run-in" is serious enough.

HHURRICANE
03-18-2009, 11:19 AM
One more point. Racial profiling is unfair but it happens.

If you are black and have anything suspicious going on you are going to get pulled over. Period. It sucks but it's a fact. How stupid is Lynch? Black athletes are probably the biggest targets.

The guy is on probation.

Stoneludlow
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
The league has to take a stand and make these malcontents understand that this is not just a game but their (the players) jobs.

You screw up on the job, there is a chance you might get fired. So what makes these prima donas any better.

Stoneludlow
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I agree that profiling is wrong, but what I mean by run-ins with the law is a conviction in a court of law anywhere here or abroad that goes on the players permanent record, aka rap sheet.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 11:37 AM
The league has to take a stand and make these malcontents understand that this is not just a game but their (the players) jobs.

You screw up on the job, there is a chance you might get fired. So what makes these prima donas any better.Wuhl, he didn't do it on the job.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I agree that profiling is wrong, but what I mean by run-ins with the law is a conviction in a court of law anywhere here or abroad that goes on the players permanent record, aka rap sheet.Soooo . . . . about that assault thing . . . .

Dr. Lecter
03-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I am confused as to how: Hit and Run + smoking blunts + unregistered loaded gun = sexual assault.

Stoneludlow
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
It doesn't matter that it wasn't on the field of play. These players not only represent the teams they are under contract with, but they represent the NFL as well.

When you fill out an application for work you find questions about current legal problems you have. This is profiling in a sense, that do you want this individual representing your company outside of his/her work time?

The NFL also has some players, I believe, that should be called, if they haven't already been called, in connection with the BALCO investigations. I don't believe that it is a MLB only problem.

These are my views and you are free to argue for against them.

mercyrule
03-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't think companies can fire people for what they do outside of work.

Dr. Lecter
03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't think companies can fire people for what they do outside of work.

They can fire independent contractors though.

Stoneludlow
03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
They can fire them if it effects their ability to do the job they were hired to do.

And it also effects on whether they hire the individual.

Goobylal
03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Lynch has never failed a drug test. So the pot allegations are worthless, especially since they never charged him (unlike what happened with Santonio Holmes).

As for having an unlicensed loaded gun in his trunk, as long as he wasn't using it for evil purposes, I have no real problem with it, other than he should have registered it or unloaded it. I find it amazing that putting a gun in your trunk is "concealing it," and only thought that referred to having a gun on your person that wasn't visible to others.

And last year's accident was just that.

At best Lynch gets a 2 game suspension, that gets reduced to 1 or no suspension and just a fine.