PDA

View Full Version : For All you "Let's Get Peppers" Guys and Gals

User Manuel
03-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Just remember, trading for him means a long term contract even bigger than what Peters is asking for. So while we may be able to get in the bidding and get him "cheap" The $$$$$ that would be exchanged are enormous.

This suddenly makes the Casell deal seem a lot more sensible. It seems that the NFL is entering the NBA realm where in trading it is more about the adding and subtracting of salries than the talent of the player.

nateodoms'bff
03-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Are you saying that Mike Vrabel is of better value than Peppers?

User Manuel
03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Are you saying that Mike Vrabel is of better value than Peppers?

Where did you get that from? No, what I am saying is that clearing money from the cap is more important than talent considerations in many deals. would YOU all things being equal trade Julius Peppers for a 2nd round pick? Of course not.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I'd rather pay Peppers than Peters.

DrGraves
03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Dear Lawesome,

Peppers is the best DE in the game. Our DEs in the past 5 years have a total of 30 sacks (totally made up number but its probably pretty close and thats pathetic). We have no pass rush, and if we learned anything the way to beat the pats is to beat the **** out of brady...

Peppers would be one of the best moves the organization could make.

mayotm
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes, lets discuss yet another player that's not coming to Buffalo. Peppers is about as likely as Cutler. Should we start a thread about Peppers' agent being in Buffalo?

topher180
03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes, lets discuss yet another player that's not coming to Buffalo. Peppers is about as likely as Cutler. Should we start a thread about Peppers' agent being in Buffalo?

:rofl:

Actually, I didn't know there were that many around here yelling for Peppers. Bills fans can be delusional, but I think the unlikeliness makes it such a stretch in this case, even for the most overzealous fan.

I could be wrong though. I could of missed these guys and gals you speak about, but then again I try to stay away from people of such ilk. :D:

User Manuel
03-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Dear Lawesome,

Peppers is the best DE in the game. Our DEs in the past 5 years have a total of 30 sacks (totally made up number but its probably pretty close and thats pathetic). We have no pass rush, and if we learned anything the way to beat the pats is to beat the **** out of brady...

Peppers would be one of the best moves the organization could make.

No kidding. Where did you get the impression I didn't think he was the best? Or did you make that up in your head?

Does anybody read posts any more?

The point was this:

Anyone who objects to paying Peters because "he isn't worth that type of money", generally followed up by, "the Bills are too cheap" followed by "no one is worth that much." better be prepared to understand that getting the best DE in the game will cost Haynesworth type of coin.

My later post was to illustrate that expecting huge return for unloading big contracts does not happen anymor ebecause, similar to the NBA currently, it is becoming more and more important to clear cap space for flexibility than get a huge return for the asset.

This will become important in the coming days and weeks when people get frustrated with the idea of trading Peters not netting a large return for the Bills. Most teams will not give up a ton for the right to pay the guy 10m + a year. This significantly hurts their bargaining position.

I also further illustrated why suddenly the "giving away" of Matt Cassell makes sense in the big picture. Belichek was more interested in the cap space, so he could get Peppers than maximizing his return on Cassell.

Sigh.... well I guess I expect to much from many of you to get more than an ill-thought knee jerk reaction to ANYTHING posted that conmtroverts the conventional wisdom.

Have a great day.

casdhf
03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Hasn't there been a million threads saying Peppers wants to play 3-4? Since we appear to be sticking with the 4-3, the Peppers guys/gals are nuts.

EDS
03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
No kidding. Where did you get the impression I didn't think he was the best? Or did you make that up in your head?

Does anybody read posts any more?

The point was this:

Anyone who objects to paying Peters because "he isn't worth that type of money", generally followed up by, "the Bills are too cheap" followed by "no one is worth that much." better be prepared to understand that getting the best DE in the game will cost Haynesworth type of coin.

My later post was to illustrate that expecting huge return for unloading big contracts does not happen anymor ebecause, similar to the NBA currently, it is becoming more and more important to clear cap space for flexibility than get a huge return for the asset.

This will become important in the coming days and weeks when people get frustrated with the idea of trading Peters not netting a large return for the Bills. Most teams will not give up a ton for the right to pay the guy 10m + a year. This significantly hurts their bargaining position.

I also further illustrated why suddenly the "giving away" of Matt Cassell makes sense in the big picture. Belichek was more interested in the cap space, so he could get Peppers than maximizing his return on Cassell.

Sigh.... well I guess I expect to much from many of you to get more than an ill-thought knee jerk reaction to ANYTHING posted that conmtroverts the conventional wisdom.

Have a great day.

Obviously cap space is hugely important but what is happening in the NBA is much different then what is happening in the NFL - in the NBA one great free agent (i.e., LeBron/Wade in 2010) can completely change the face of a franchise, whereas the NFL it is important to have quality players but it is equally important to have a well rounded team. In addition, far more NFL teams operate below the cap then do NBA teams which means the market forces involved in unloading a high cost player are different.

The Pats unloaded Cassell on the cheap because they needed IMMEDIATE (stress on the immediate) cap relief so they could round out their roster and ultimately sign draft picks. Cassell was a huge luxury assuming Brady is healthy. Plus, that second round pick is pretty valuable from a talent/contract perspective.

Obviously some people want Peppers - heck who wouldn't as he is exactly what the defense needs. Of course Peppers is a pipe dream due to the Bills fiscally conservative nature. That said, everyone knows that he will get a megadeal. The Bills have the good fortune of being way below the cap so it is not as if they are in danger of going over and they could fit Peppers in under the cap.

Bert102176
03-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Peppers wants to go to a 3-4 D we are not that so we will not be getting him

PromoTheRobot
03-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I heard ESPN report yesterday that Peppers has a list of 4 teams he is willing to be traded to including the Patriots* and Cowboys. I'll bet anyone $20 that the Bills are not one of the two other teams.

PTR

life of faith
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Peppers plays in a 3-4 defense guys....nothing similiar to our Tampa 2

X-Era
03-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I heard ESPN report yesterday that Peppers has a list of 4 teams he is willing to be traded to including the Patriots* and Cowboys. I'll bet anyone $20 that the Bills are not one of the two other teams.

PTR

Make it 20 pesos and Ill take that bet.

OpIv37
03-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Peppers plays in a 3-4 defense guys....nothing similiar to our Tampa 2

for a DE it really doesn't matter. It's a slightly different technique, but nothing an athlete of Peppers' character couldn't pick up easily.

The bigger problem is that Peppers WANTS to play in the 3-4, which pretty much eliminates Buffalo as an option.

And btw, there's a lesson in all of this: Good players cost money. WAAAAAH Peppers wants 12 million. WAAAAHHH Peters wants 11 million. We have the cap space. We have the 75 million from Toronto. And it's Ralph's money, not ours. So who the **** cares? Cap room, flexibility, building through the draft, avoiding big salaries- we've been doing that for 10 years and it's gotten us ****ing nowhere.

Now, I'm not saying the Bills should throw money at every big player out there. Haynesworth probably isn't worth the coin. Peppers doesn't want to play here (but I still say the Bills should try)- fine. But if this team is ever going to win, at some point they're gonna have to pay someone big money. Get used to it.

X-Era
03-18-2009, 07:44 PM
for a DE it really doesn't matter. It's a slightly different technique, but nothing an athlete of Peppers' character couldn't pick up easily.

The bigger problem is that Peppers WANTS to play in the 3-4, which pretty much eliminates Buffalo as an option.

And btw, there's a lesson in all of this: Good players cost money. WAAAAAH Peppers wants 12 million. WAAAAHHH Peters wants 11 million. We have the cap space. We have the 75 million from Toronto. And it's Ralph's money, not ours. So who the **** cares? Cap room, flexibility, building through the draft, avoiding big salaries- we've been doing that for 10 years and it's gotten us ****ing nowhere.

Now, I'm not saying the Bills should throw money at every big player out there. Haynesworth probably isn't worth the coin. Peppers doesn't want to play here (but I still say the Bills should try)- fine. But if this team is ever going to win, at some point they're gonna have to pay someone big money. Get used to it.

Ya know, Ive been thinking about this lately:

Have we actually increased our player salary amount over last year?

I mean we cut Dockery and Royal, and lost Greer, Preston, Whittle, and Folwer.

But we added Fitz, Hangartner, and TO was our expensive player at 6.5 mill. But Dockery alone was supposedly worth more.

Why do I have the feeling that we simply shifted where we spent the money but are basically spending about the same total dollar figure?

OpIv37
03-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Ya know, Ive been thinking about this lately:

Have we actually increased our player salary amount over last year?

I mean we cut Dockery and Royal, and lost Greer, Preston, Whittle, and Folwer.

But we added Fitz, Hangartner, and TO was our expensive player at 6.5 mill. But Dockery alone was supposedly worth more.

Why do I have the feeling that we simply shifted where we spent the money but are basically spending about the same total dollar figure?

you can check Clump's cap page to check it but I suspect you're right.

The important thing is how the money is spent, not how much. The teams that win are the teams that have their money tied up in players that perform.

Lexwhat
03-19-2009, 01:08 AM
We have the 75 million from Toronto.

$80 million.

:up:

Mitchell55
03-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Pepper, 75 million for 5 years. 15 million a year along with Peters 9 million which he needs to settle for would be 24 million so we are left with about 4-5 million left which we need for draft picks.